• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Soktos

The other three continents (Hossin, Cyssor, Oshur), should have been in the game from the start. Along with the continental lattice. The Lattice forces "traffic" ie. zergs directly into each other, and leads to secure back line bases and secure homeland continents that can't be taken (assuming the game will work like PS1 minus NTU draining) without fighting through hostiles to gain a foothold on an enemy held continent.

The game as it was released is was obviously not "done" but kicked out the door. This probaly isn't obvious unless you played PS1 extensively ... there are major missing meta game mechanics.

Don't get me wrong I still love the game for what it is having put in over 100 hours already .... but I hope they add in the meta soon.

This.

New continents would be nice, but I am actually more looking forward to the meta-game changes... although I am unfamiliar with PS1... Maybe new continents are needed before they add the meta changes?

In any case, I hope that a lot of this continent was built already during the beta periods and just not polished enough for release. Hopefully we will see some new elements soon.

MrBig

New continents would be nice, but I am actually more looking forward to the meta-game changes... although I am unfamiliar with PS1... Maybe new continents are needed before they add the meta changes?

Yes more continents are needed to make it work properly; the game should have launched with at least 6, even if the extra 3 just used art assets from the home 3.

I wouldn't mind that actually, if each continent had a sibling. It would mean the second cont would have drastically reduced art time, more focus on encounter design, and a huge increase in productivity/useable content.

mr_nothin

Banned
I'm convinced that this is a beta test for the PS4 release
The game will be released with 6 continents and all of the real metagame and gameplay in there. We're just helping them along the way atm.

MrBig

Matthew Higby ‏@mhigby

A fix for the variously described "hex crash"/"C4 crash"/"Sunderer crash" exploit will be going up tonight.

As a side note, we have log evidence for players who were causing it and will be banning.

Jhriad

Been swamped with work for the past week and a half so I haven't had as much time to play. Populations seem to have fallen off noticeably since the double xp period ended.

Been swamped with work for the past week and a half so I haven't had as much time to play. Populations seem to have fallen off noticeably since the double xp period ended.

People are also off holiday break, especially students who just started up their new classes.

MrBig

Looks like the /report function is for reporting people abusing the text chat, not for cheaters/hackers. Instead you have to actually submit a ticket to report people:

Press Escape
Click Support at bottom left of screen
Then Ask for Help
After the browser loads in the dead center of the screen it has an "Open a Support Ticket" link.
Then you will be required to log in.
Select Category as In-game Issues - Community Standards (If you do not select this your ticket may be delayed)
Please make the subject Suspected Rule Breaker or something as obvious
Please make sure you include as much detail as possible in the Incident section
Character Name is YOUR character name not the person you're reporting.
Make sure to press Continue or Submit and if you have done it successfully you will be given a reference number.
You will always get a response to your ticket this way. Doing a /report you will not.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...re-ruining-this-game.72493/page-3#post-961517

more interestingly:

Matthew Higby ?@mhigby Should have a post out to you guys tomorrow afternoon with info about this month's update.

J-Rzez

It's about time they fixed this crash exploit, and just like that VS were pushed back to their warp gate on Indar, lol. Wonder how many casualties they suffered from the ban-hammer as well.

Nice to see we'll get info on this month's patch finally tomorrow.

The other three continents (Hossin, Cyssor, Oshur), should have been in the game from the start. Along with the continental lattice. The Lattice forces "traffic" ie. zergs directly into each other, and leads to secure back line bases and secure homeland continents that can't be taken (assuming the game will work like PS1 minus NTU draining) without fighting through hostiles to gain a foothold on an enemy held continent.

The game as it was released is was obviously not "done" but kicked out the door. This probaly isn't obvious unless you played PS1 extensively ... there are major missing meta game mechanics.

Don't get me wrong I still love the game for what it is having put in over 100 hours already .... but I hope they add in the meta soon.
Yeah sure. We would have been lucky to get the game by 2014 with three more continents.

The game will be released with 6 continents and all of the real metagame and gameplay in there. We're just helping them along the way atm.

F2P games are generally released in open beta states. They like to call them "launches"

MrBig

Matthew Higby ‏@mhigby

Attack of the Tentacles up in here! http://via.me/-8mevu0o

r600x600d8u0x.jpg

Looks like Hossin might have some environment hazards, or those are just roots from 343 Guilty Spark

Here's the post for this month's plans, liking the changes that are coming :) Wonder what class will get SMGs?
http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/happy-new-year-update-02-info.77203/
Higsby said:
Hey all!

Happy New Year, I hope you all had a great 2012 and are having an amazing start to 2013. On the Planetside 2 we had a pretty **** fantastic 2012, but we're looking forward to even bigger and better things in 2013! I've said before that while 2012 was the year that Planetside 2 launched, 2013 is the year when we're opening up the afterburners and aiming for the stars. After a well earned rest the team is energized and ready to get back to "kicking *** and fixing bugs. And we're all ou--" er, oh yeah, okay, we've still got some bugs to fix.

While we were out we were still paying attention to the forums as well as twitter, reddit, facebook and all the other places you guys interact with us; we've heard a lot of your excellent feedback, ideas, concerns and consternation. One of the biggest goals of our team has been and continues to be listening to our community and following YOUR direction for what this game needs to become. We're going to be talking a lot more about this philosophy in the coming weeks and how community involvement is going to directly impact our development schedule & priorities as we reveal "our" plan for the next 6 months. For now, we wanted to address some of the biggest issues we're seeing come up over and over again, so that's what we're focused on for January's update.

Game development can be messy and there is always the possibility that something from this list may slip or not pass QA, and more details will be released on the specifics of all of these items as we get closer to the patch date, but I wanted to get this info out to all of you as soon as possible, so with that in mind, here are some highlights from what the team is working on finishing up for LU02 which will be released on 1/30/13.

• General performance increases, particularly for lower end GPUs
  • Experience (XP) system enhancements:
  • Dynamic XP system for player kills, players who have more kills on their current life are worth more XP. Freshly spawned players will be worth a fraction of the current kill reward.
  • Partial damage XP for dealing damage to vehicles that you don't end up killing
  • Population XP / Resource bonus moved over to continent population instead of global
  • Better display of XP sources for things like defensive bonuses & population bonuses
  • Rebalancing of XP rewards to help support tasks
  • Server transfer token available in Depot
  • UI changes to emphasize score per minute as a primary metric of player comparison
  • Sortable columns on outfit management & addition of "last online" column
  • New weapon type for all empires: SMG
  • Short period of invulnerability will be added to freshly spawned / revived players - breaks upon game actions such as entering a vehicle or using a weapon.
  • Dynamic / player configurable colors for minimap & overhead indicators for enemies, friendlies, and squads within a platoon
  • New Hot Spot system that displays where active fights are occurring on the map
  • New spawn buildings with more exits, protected balconies and easy roof access to make them less campable.
  • Tunnel systems for amp and tech facilities to give access from spawn rooms to interior of bases and base walls without having to go above ground.
  • Making MAXes render more reliably at long distances for players in vehicles
  • AA improvements, notably flak changes for turrets and skyguards, giving them some better ability to aim, although not drastically impacting their DPS.
  • Fixes to missiles so that they more reliably detonate and actually blow stuff up
  • Air vehicle weapon tweaks
  • Increases to reload speed for certain HE ground vehicle weapons
  • And of course... lots of bug fixes

Whew, it's going to be a busy month! We know this doesn't address every issue that's been brought up recently but we hope it knocks out some of the big ones. Hopefully you will see from this update (and the feature plan for the next 6 months, when that is revealed) that we're taking your feedback and concerns for the game very seriously. We're here, we're listening and we're committed to continue to work with our community to build the best online game the world has ever seen.
As always, your feedback is very welcomed, here, on reddit, on twitter and everywhere else you may find us.
Cya on Auraxis!
-
Matthew Higby
Creative Director - Planetside 2
@mhigby

mr_nothin

Banned
Blah, still doesnt help meta game at all. Although I love the sound of the tunnel system.
This really wont change how the game is being played atm though. Continents will still be 1 color.

J-Rzez

I'm going to guess inf's and either medics/LAs get the SMGs.

Disappointing lack of meta game speak in there. But I guess that's for their 6-month plan speech.

Looks good. There not going to talk about meta until new continent stuff goes in probably.

Though looks like the continental population xp thing is attempting to push ppl towards the other continents, but they need to make the xp bonuses for such thing pretty noticeable to get ppl to push. If it's still nonsense like 1% xp bonus like the previous pop bonuses, no one is going to care.

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
  • Better display of XP sources for things like defensive bonuses & population bonuses
  • Rebalancing of XP rewards to help support tasks
  • New spawn buildings with more exits, protected balconies and easy roof access to make them less campable.
  • Tunnel systems for amp and tech facilities to give access from spawn rooms to interior of bases and base walls without having to go above ground.
This sounds good. Maybe people will actually start defending to some degree.

yea this is what I am thinking as well...I will continue playing it on PC and PS4. The game is just amazing

why am I not surprised :/ Wonder how many of the non TE outfits will be around when you can transfer servers at the end of the month. Have you guys tried to consolidate outfits to try to compete with the size of TE? You'd think a larger outfit that focuses on teamwork and not being led by a douchebag would have quite a large appeal on the people in TE that just want big fights.

Sidenote, there are rumors that TB's BRIT outfit is thinking about moving to Mattherson if Waterson goes dead at the end of the month, if that's the case I guess the TR will have another option. I'd love to hear TB chewing out BCP

J-Rzez

Expecting the worse I was bored and trialed the Jackhammer. Not sure about the complaints of this weapon though as I was really effective with this shotgun. With extended mag it would probably be devastating. I don't think people realize it still has it's secondary fire mode. With the extra rounds getting another burst off would probably feel like a mini-MAX.

The lack of other mods for it is annoying though. Will wait for it to go on sale again. Curious to see if they're going to adjust this and the other faction specific "special weapons" since so many people complain about them, especially the Jackhammer and Lasher.

MrBig

And I've finally got my computer set up again, will probably participate in any GAF squad ops for the next couple weekends and then go back into hibernation until SOE actually makes PS2 the game they intended to release.

This game sure is a beauty on Ultra, and a lot of the audio has been improved since I last played, as well as general performance being smoother.

The problem with the Jackhammer is that there's really know reason to take it over any other shotgun. It does less damage but has a superfluous three-shot burst mode. But given the general speed and TTK of the game the burst mode doesn't really help. Kinda decent against MAXes, though.

I actually created alts for TR and VS to try out the Mini Chaingun and Lasher, respectively, since they seem so underutilized as well. The MCG seems pretty beastly, you gotta keep it spinning up, but seems like it has potential room-clearing abilities. The Lasher feels like it has a purpose, but there were no good battles for me to try it on. One v. One the Lasher won't win, but I just want to try it during like a Biolab zerg.

Divius

I only play combat medic and am always grossly outmatched whenever I run into a MAX. I know it, and they know it. So I 180 and gtfo.

Little do they know I left them a little surprise in the form of a C4. They come around that corner and boom! Muhahaha. Works every time.

(talking about close quarters here of course)

Hi guys. I'm contemplating downloading this tonight.

Whilst i'm almost entirely convinced it will suck my soul and life in an awesome way, could one of you lovely chaps post the best possible example of just how great the game is? The most incredible huge-scale battle or something?

I almost feel like it's too good to be true.

MrBig

Hi guys. I'm contemplating downloading this tonight.

Whilst i'm almost entirely convinced it will suck my soul and life in an awesome way, could one of you lovely chaps post the best possible example of just how great the game is? The most incredible huge-scale battle or something?

I almost feel like it's too good to be true.

PS2 is the only FPS that allows you to do such an awesome amount of shit with an awesome amount of friends. That's the best part of the game but it is also somewhat of a detractor, the game is almost entirely player driven, and people are dumb and do dumb things so dumb things happen a lot, and doing cool things and directing other senseless players requires a lot of organization and lots of people. So if you're jumping in to PS2, make sure to have a group of friends to play with, from GAF or by finding another PS2 clan out there. Here's one guy's first experience, for example. He just dropped into the game and found a clan running an open squad and then awesome things started happening.

What is this, i spawned in a small facility near a big ass dome that we needed to capture but everytime i spawned anywhere near i immediately got shot by a tank.

There where like +-30 tanks all around the dome, could do nothing as infantry (thats how i want to play)

After 6 deaths i logged out..

What can you do vs a shitload of tanks and the spawnrape?

MrBig

What is this, i spawned in a small facility near a big ass dome that we needed to capture but everytime i spawned anywhere near i immediately got shot by a tank.

There where like +-30 tanks all around the dome, could do nothing as infantry (thats how i want to play)

After 6 deaths i logged out..

What can you do vs a shitload of tanks and the spawnrape?

Stop spawning there, go somewhere else, and organize a counter attack to their forces if they really need to be dealt with. A water balloon can't hit harder than a bunch of rocks, no matter how many times you try to throw one.

Stop spawning there, go somewhere else, and organize a counter attack to their forces. A water balloon can't hit harder than a rock.

i spawned everywhere where the game would let me, those tanks had everything locked down apparently
organize a counter attack? sure, but i'm just 1 dude who plays this casually.. isnt there something like the javelin in bf3? :D

MrBig

i spawned everywhere where the game would let me, those tanks had everything locked down apparently

Then spawn at the warpgate and change continents, because that would mean that whoever the attacker was has that continent locked and you shouldn't be there.

organize a counter attack? sure, but i'm just 1 dude who plays this casually.. isnt there something like the javelin in bf3? :D

A single infantry should never be able to take out a tank column. Start making connections with people in game, because getting things done will take other people to do them if you won't do them yourself.

I'm going to give this a spin, maybe even tonight. What's the GAF faction with the largest number of players online? I'd like to join up and just jump in.

Edit: Looks like Vanu based off the spreadsheet. Ok Vanu it is!

Edit2: Actually, looks like most of the Vanu are playing on Mattherson with is an EST server. Might have to make a character for a west coast server, and that looks like Terran/Connery so far.

I started the stream late

LevelCap is replacing Tobuscus as Vanu leader? I might have missed something important but that's the impression I got

(Started the stream bout 30 seconds before Levelcap left)

nOoblet16

So I started playing this recently and I must say I like this game a lot, however, the micro shutterings that occur every now and then (especially when looking at a large distance) just kills the game for me because they happen ever so often and many times I'd be in a gunfight when this happens.

This is the only game where I suffer from micro shutterings so I know it's the game not my PC.

MrBig

So I started playing this recently and I must say I like this game a lot, however, the micro shutterings that occur every now and then (especially when looking at a large distance) just kills the game for me because they happen ever so often and many times I'd be in a gunfight when this happens.

This is the only game where I suffer from micro shutterings so I know it's the game not my PC.

I don't have this and I don't see it mentioned much. It may be caused by a slow HDD as the game loads in assets.

MrBig

I figured, but a 7200RPS HDD is fast enough, I should try defragmenting mine (eventhough I did it just last week).

IDK, I play on an SSD and it's flawless

FNO is live now, they're going to be showing some wip stuff like the new spawn rooms from future updates, this week and in future eps

spawn rooms:

New SMGs and BioLab landing pad attacker defenses were also shown

references to new continents and resource changes as well as major meta game enhancements being a part of the 6 month plan discussion

Pennybags

Got in with a GAF-tagged player's mag. Didn't last long, haha.

How often does Vanu GAF play as a unit? I'm with GOTR but it's not like I'm being handcuffed or anything on non-ops nights.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Gonna get back into the game shortly. Spent a week sick, and then a week catching up on other things.

But new things would be appreciated

Top Bottom