• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Tripwood

Quick question about reload speed upgrade for vehicle weapons.
First upgrade costs 150 Certs and it "Reduces the reload speed of the weapon by 3%", second costs 200 Certs and "Reduces the reload speed of the weapon by 6%".

Now, if i buy these 2 upgrades, will my total reload speed be reduced by 6% or 9%?

J-Rzez

Im so tired of playing indar. There are two other land masses out there but no one played on them. Is it my server?

On Mattherson it's the same way. The biggest and best fights are always on Indar. The land is pretty varied there, along with the bases, so I believe that's why most of the fighting takes place there.

I like the spawn room, biolab, and vehicle pad changes. SOE has been on a roll lately after the ESF/AA balancing, and finally fixing cheap kill liberators. I don't like that they made SMGs for all, I thought that should be an infiltrator only weapon.

kn1ves24

Alright noob question here. I'm downloading this now as I type. Can someone tell me whats the best way to get in a GAF outfit or what would be the best server for me to join? I'm on the US East coast.

I'm sure I'm going to be pretty terrible at this to start with but since this game is so heavily team based I don't want to be lone wolf-ing it. Any other general advice or pointers would be appreciated it.

I did look over the OP and I'll fill out the form as soon as I have an account setup and a server selected.

markot

Banned
I really hate the stupid crap they are doing with those internet celebs? I never heard of most of them... well 2/3...

Also, this game would be 100000000000 times better if they had a decent unlock system and f2p model... as it is, it is my main turn off of the game. Its just so grindy and bad and its pretty much p2w in alot of respects.

Spazznid

I really hate the stupid crap they are doing with those internet celebs? I never heard of most of them... well 2/3...

Also, this game would be 100000000000 times better if they had a decent unlock system and f2p model... as it is, it is my main turn off of the game. Its just so grindy and bad and its pretty much p2w in alot of respects.

I don't see that at all.

Those "Internet Celebs" are to generate interest in the game. TB is VERY well known and when he talks, poeple listen. I dislike the guy, but I know at least that much. Seananners is also a pretty big Youtuber with a big following and LevelCap is a prominent member in the Planetside 2 Community. If you take any time to join in the Reddit, or the Youtube PS2 space, his name will come up. The "War" is mostly just to get new players interested as well as to stir up the existing players and get them wanting to participate more. Kind of like the Horde/Alliance loyalty that you often see with WoW. That Loyalty used to serve as an excellent way for the devs to keep players coming back.
Also.
P2W? no. P2LookSexyinMyGiraffe? sure.

I currently have little over $100 worth of Station Cash, so where's that win stuff? I have all this money, and over 300 Certs atm and I can't think of what to buy, because I'm pretty fine with stock stuff. There might be a few balance issues, but nothing that ruin or even make the game less enjoyable.

Also, the unlock system isn't too bad either, IMO. You can get started into different unlocks that allow for different playstyles very quickly, but to fully unlock something it will take a lot of time. Maybe they could add a few more in-betweens, but that would just add more layers when they could keep it simple. Wanna try c4? Sure! But if you wanna go all out and max c4, then you'll have to work for it.

J-Rzez

These hackers are out of control right now. Spawning turrets in warpgates which either kill you instantly, or teleport you out of the warpgate and soon as you move so far you die instantly.

Speed hackers, wall glitchers, and aimbots everywhere. Glitches that I found out and reported with videos to SOE, like being able to glitch out the repair gun and inf repair your vehicle while inside using it normally. Got it to work in my Vanguard along with a friend who did it so there were two full time engineers on the tank infinitely repairing the tank at all times with no cool down on the repair gun. I even got it to work on a MAX spawn.

Then you have this:
hacker1zpsfaa39a54.jpg

Game is fucked for the foreseeable future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr_oGju_LRo&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJUDuapgyQ4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPNpw-3ydoI

Just a taste of some of the public vids I capped in the past 12hrs alone. The tank one, that's me "in" the tank healing itself. In other vehicles all you have to do is be moving forward to heal up. Some like lightenings you can just sit there and fire away. Libs/galaxies/ESFs, just fly and repair at the same time.

Besides taking care of the hacks, they just need to do something to make this game more compelling. It's fucking boring as sin right now, and I haven't feel the inclination to play since the New Year. Not to mention the gunplay feels janky still.

I have an account 10000+ station cash, and I'm thinking of just selling it off.

markot

Banned
I don't see that at all.

Those "Internet Celebs" are to generate interest in the game. TB is VERY well known and when he talks, poeple listen. I dislike the guy, but I know at least that much. Seananners is also a pretty big Youtuber with a big following and LevelCap is a prominent member in the Planetside 2 Community. If you take any time to join in the Reddit, or the Youtube PS2 space, his name will come up. The "War" is mostly just to get new players interested as well as to stir up the existing players and get them wanting to participate more. Kind of like the Horde/Alliance loyalty that you often see with WoW. That Loyalty used to serve as an excellent way for the devs to keep players coming back.
Also.
P2W? no. P2LookSexyinMyGiraffe? sure.

I currently have little over $100 worth of Station Cash, so where's that win stuff? I have all this money, and over 300 Certs atm and I can't think of what to buy, because I'm pretty fine with stock stuff. There might be a few balance issues, but nothing that ruin or even make the game less enjoyable.

Also, the unlock system isn't too bad either, IMO. You can get started into different unlocks that allow for different playstyles very quickly, but to fully unlock something it will take a lot of time. Maybe they could add a few more in-betweens, but that would just add more layers when they could keep it simple. Wanna try c4? Sure! But if you wanna go all out and max c4, then you'll have to work for it.

Um... with money you can buy all the weapons and no have to worry about using them to buy certs. Do you srsly think someone with no weapon purchases is on the same footing as someone who can buy all of them?

How long does it take to earn the certs to buy a weapon? A week?

Its a stupid system. People with money can buy weapons and spend certs on actually improving their character. You cant if you dont spend the money, you are stuck with stock weapons that are rather shitty.

sixghost

Um... with money you can buy all the weapons and no have to worry about using them to buy certs. Do you srsly think someone with no weapon purchases is on the same footing as someone who can buy all of them?

How long does it take to earn the certs to buy a weapon? A week?

Its a stupid system. People with money can buy weapons and spend certs on actually improving their character. You cant if you dont spend the money, you are stuck with stock weapons that are rather shitty.

Most of the default infintry weapons are pretty good. Unlocking some of the vehicle weapons is more important than infinity weapons. You really don't need to spend much to be on even footing, wait for a triple SC day and drop $15, that's more than enough.

acksman

In a great Outfit and still having a blast. If you have a decently organized unit you can get some stuff done. Ran across a couple of hackers, but have reported them and haven't seen them sense.

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
So I unlocked the under slung grenade launcher for the gauss compact and it is really random in whether it will replenish ammo. Is this a known bug or a "feature" to prevent spamming?

Mupod

Just a PSA that the 7-day experience booster is half price for today. I'm not playing actively right now but I had a large portion of the SC I got during the triple sale day set aside for something like this.

Myomoto

Just a PSA that the 7-day experience booster is half price for today. I'm not playing actively right now but I had a large portion of the SC I got during the triple sale day set aside for something like this.

You don't have to activate it just because you buy it, do you? Seems like a good time to stock up.

MrBig

You don't have to activate it just because you buy it, do you? Seems like a good time to stock up.

Nope, they just go in to you inventory and you can equip one whenever your last runs out. Equipping them over an active boost destroys the previously active boost though.

New hotfix

Players may note the following changes:

A number of Server and Client stability optimizations have been made.
The Heavy Assault Shield should no longer fail to work after respawning.
The Deployment screen now features top defensive locations on the continent as respawn points.
Instant Action will now send players to areas with more combat.
New players will now be placed at a spawn point in a battle instead of being drop podded in.

Liberators/Galaxies:

These aircraft are now easier to lock-on to with anti-air missles. By default you can lock on to them 1 second faster. This means it requires 2.5 seconds to lock on to an ESF and 1.5 seconds to lock-on to a Liberator/Galaxy.
Lock on rockets and missiles should now hit more frequently and are harder to dodge.

Lock-on weapons can only be avoided by the following:
Flares
Forcing the missile to hit something else
Outrunning it which requires you to be distant and burn a lot of fuel
A very near miss which should be very challenging

The TR (as a collection) on Mattherson are fucking retarded. I wish I'd picked a different server for my TR character.

We are constantly out numbered (right now NC has 60%+ pop on Esamir and Amerish, we have 8% and 6%)

Indar has 30% TR and we are still out numbered by both VS and NC.

To top it all off, we have to deal with most of our own faction being fucking morons (The Enclave) who spend more time team killing and doing fuck all they might as well join the VS.

[/rant]

I don't know how I feel about this game right now. I know I'm going to go back and play it eventually (haven't play for about 2 months now). I guess I'm waiting for all the hackers to quiet down a bit more and waiting on a triple SC day. Might play a bit today probably lol.

Also, PS2 China server's new campaign http://www.mmoculture.com/2013/01/planetside-2-china-publisher-launches-sexy-new-campaign/ (NSFW!)

My enthusiasm for this game died out toward the end of December. I'm waiting on January 30th to see if it can be rekindled.

MrBig

My enthusiasm for this game died out toward the end of December. I'm waiting on January 30th to see if it can be rekindled.

Nothing major is changing on the 30th. Anyone interested in playing what PS2 should really be should come back in a few months when they finally implement all the aspects of the game they should have released with

Nothing major is changing on the 30th. Anyone interested in playing what PS2 should really be should come back in a few months when they finally implement all the aspects of the game they should have released with

In the near term, I'm waiting on the optimizations.

I don't know how I feel about this game right now. I know I'm going to go back and play it eventually (haven't play for about 2 months now). I guess I'm waiting for all the hackers to quiet down a bit more and waiting on a triple SC day. Might play a bit today probably lol.

Also, PS2 China server's new campaign http://www.mmoculture.com/2013/01/planetside-2-china-publisher-launches-sexy-new-campaign/ (NSFW!)
All the hackers? I've been playing three or four evenings every week since the release and barely noticed any hackers. Looks like it's being blown way out of proportion.

MrBig

Looks like they're going to be more progressive about sharing what they're working on post tomorrow's initial mid-term plan announcements

I wanted to take the time to explain what this system is and isn't. It's basically a new section in our normal forums that will be called Roadmap. In this section we will set up topics that relate to the things in our roadmap. The purpose is to have active discussion of the entire roadmap. There is a reddit style scoring system that allows people to upvote and downvote things. That's going to give us some rough idea of how people feel about a particular roadmap idea.

Does this mean we're changing it to "the mob rules"? absolutely not. It's just a simple tool for us to be able to gauge sentiment about a particular topic. Remember it's still a forum thread (although with cool nested comments) and we'll still be reading what people are actually saying.

However if we list 5 topics for February and people highly vote 4 of those 5 and everyone hates on one of the ideas, it's fair to say that's going to get our attention.

In addition we're going to be implementing a new suggestion area with this same functionality that will allow users to create new threads. This likely won't go live tomorrow. This new functionality is in QA right now but it's likely to still have some bugs when you all jump in there. So we want to start with just the Roadmap section.

For the haters out there that say mobs dumb down games - I just flat out disagree with you that it's going to happen here. We have a vision for this game. You're going to see that tomorrow. Will it be one you like? I hope so. Will you agree with the order we're doing things? maybe.. maybe not. Probably not in some cases. Will be move things to more closely mirror the order you want things done? Sometimes yes.. sometimes it's not possible because of development time.

This is just another way for you to have your say in the future of Planetside 2. We want this to be a game we all share the vision for.

Thanks

Smed

MrBig

Roadmap posted but having load issues atm

PSU was able to grab a snipped before it went down
  • Vehicle Zoning - We would like to allow vehicles to travel between continents by entering the Warpgate beam in each Empire's Warpgate area, instead of forcing players to abandon their vehicles
  • Player Made Decals - Wouldn't it be cool to roll around sporting your outfit’s custom logo on all outfits and vehicles? We think so too, so we want to give players the ability to make their own decals for use in game...
  • Class Revamp: MAX - We want to improve and polish the MAX class. As part of the improvements, we would like to add in unique abilities per faction: TR: Lockdown At the expense of losing mobility, the TR max can shift...
  • Player Generated Missions - PlanetSide 2 has always embraced the idea that the core game content is totally player driven, so the mission system just takes that idea a little further. We want to give players (with appropriate...
  • Facebook / Twitter Integration - We'd like to improve the social networking features in game, specifically by leveraging Facebook and Twitter. For Facebook, we'd like to add support for: Linking an account to your character Post from..
  • Interlink Facility - The Interlink facility is a brand new base type on the scale of the Biolabs, Tech Plants, and Amp Stations. It includes a giant radar dish that will offer great cover from aircraft and has difficult..
Also on the list is Hossin, in game mail and gifting items. Hit the full list here on the official site and start voting! As always hit up our comments thread to discuss your thoughts.

e: someone was able to copy more it here

here's a few I find interesting

March - Color Blind Support

We would like to put control of the UI color schemes into the hands of the player, allowing each user to set up colors that they find useful individually across key elements throughout the game.

March - Ragdoll Physics

Ragdoll physics would make every explosion a potentially amazing scene of amusement and spectacle. As Planetside 2 has a large output of explosions, this seems like it would would make for a fun... Read More

March - Improved Map and Respawn

To improve the respawn process, we would like to essentially merge the map screen and the respawn screen so you’ll have access to better and more relevant information when deciding where you want to... Read More

February - VR Training Area

Learning how to play the game under live fire conditions can be pretty daunting. To help address this, we’re planning on adding in a VR Training zone that will be a safe haven for players to try out... Read More

January - Rendering Distance Based on Threat

We want to mitigate the impact of render distance on enemies that are a direct threat. For example, anyone that pilots air vehicles can probably attest to how lame it is to get shot down by AA players... Read More

January - Destroying the SCU only penalizes Spawn Timers

Currently, destroying an Spawn Control Unit (SCU) completely removes that Spawn point from the facility until it is repaired. Unfortunately this can have the effect of ending a fight too quickly and... Read More

March - Convenience Items

There are a handful of items we'd like to add to the Depot that will allow players to accomplish some commonly requested actions through an SC purchase: Certification Reset Name Change Server Transfer... Read More

April - Interlink Facility

The Interlink facility is a brand new base type on the scale of the Biolabs, Tech Plants, and Amp Stations. It includes a giant radar dish that will offer great cover from aircraft and has difficult... Read More

April - New Continent: Hossin

Adding a brand new continent: Hossin! Hossin is a swamp covered continent. Bask in the glow of some sweet concept art.

June - Outfit Base Capture

If your outfit is the top contributor to a base capture, we’ll identify the facility/outpost as “belonging” to your outfit. We still have a lot of work that we’ll need to iron out on this,... Read More

June - Supply Containers

Supply Containers are locked boxes that hold somethingrandomish and potentially spectacular inside. In theory, you would then ask yourself: WHAT"S IN THE BOX?! Unable to not know what splendor might... Read More

January - Creating "No Deploy" zones for AMS equipped Sunderers

We are currently discussing mechanics which would allow designers to designate areas within a base or facility that Sunderers cannot deploy in. The initial use of this ability will be to disallow... Read More

I was hoping to see the next 3 continents being released in this rather large window so they can get to work on the real, large scale meta game...

SOE is partnering with MLG for eSports stuff

Liberty4all

Banned

Pennybags

I was under the impression that individual issues in the roadmap were tentative and subject to feedback from the community at large. I.E., certain things can be bumped up in priority or altered slightly if the devs think it worthwhile.

Things like unlockable crates don't fit in, and will probably come into heavy criticism. Fortunately this is a late change, and has plenty of time for revision.

Meta-game mechanics like continent lock are more important. On the expanded details regarding C-lock, it states that at least four continents are needed. Unfortunately, Hossin isn't coming for a while.

MrBig

honestly, alot of this stuff needs to be done NOW not in march or later.

Indeed, stuff like the tutorial system, VR, account wide unlocks, inter continental meta-game, render distance prioritization systems, and the UI passovers should really be a top priority, not months out. The longer they wait on that stuff the less people will get into the game and stay in the game, and I'm sure others realize this if SOE doesn't so we'll just have to keep telling them so

DeBurgo

lots of bitching in this thread, especially for what is essentially a very high quality free game.

I've been playing it weekly since wide release and the game is still pretty enjoyable. I suppose I could understand people getting burned out if they've been playing it constantly since beta or earlier, but... man, I dunno... take a break? Then come back to it once some of the things you've been looking forward to have been added?

A lot of the features sound pretty awesome, and the way they're doing it is cool, lots of community feedback solicitations.

I admit I never played the first Planetside so I didn't have a ton of baked-in expectations for this game, though.
Battlefield with 2k players isn't fun
Except that... it is?

MrBig

It's fine for you to enjoy the game yourself, but you have to consider the big picture of where this game is headed, what it needs to sustain itself, what it needs to grow, and what it needs to continue offering interesting and engaging experiences. To simply say the game is fine and let it stagnate, to not consider the lessons already learned from a decade of people playing PS1, is a horrible attitude when you could instead participate in discussions of bettering the game for everyone instead of just yourself.

mr_nothin

Banned
So basically, they want to add back in most of the features from PS1.

LO-fucking-L. This game is dead to me anyways.

Well really, that's always been the plan. They've always said that they'll have more of the "meat" of the game added later that'll make PS1 vets happy.
But still, we need a lot of this stuff by end of next month. Having to wait for Continent Locking to maybe be implemented in bMarch/April is way too freakin far off. I wish we could upvote to the point of moving ideas up a month or 2.

MrBig

Well really, that's always been the plan. They've always said that they'll have more of the "meat" of the game added later that'll make PS1 vets happy.
But still, we need a lot of this stuff by end of next month. Having to wait for Continent Locking to maybe be implemented in May is way too freakin far off. I wish we could upvote to the point of moving ideas up a month or 2.

Smedley said Searhus got left off the list, but should have been on there. I assume it's coming in March with the locking mechanic. Higby, T ray, and Smedley will probably be talking about their plans, the feedback so far, and the upcoming continents during the stream today. Timeframes are likely just based on how much time they think they'll need to complete things, but yeah they'll probably re prioritize things once they know what the community wants the most.

mr_nothin

Banned
Smedley said Searhus got left off the list, but should have been on there. I assume it's coming in March with the locking mechanic. Higby, T ray, and Smedley will probably be talking about their plans, the feedback so far, and the upcoming continents during the stream today. Timeframes are likely just based on how much time they think they'll need to complete things, but yeah they'll probably re prioritize things once they know what the community wants the most.

I mean March :)

And I didnt know there was a stream today :O
Awesome. I love the streams! What time does it start?

It seems as if the REAL mission system will be in by March.

MrBig

Yep, the ultimate empire showdown is being streamed today with a live command center as well. 4-7pm PST. They're playing on Connery for anyone that wants to join in

DeBurgo

It's fine for you to enjoy the game yourself, but you have to consider the big picture of where this game is headed, what it needs to sustain itself, what it needs to grow, and what it needs to continue offering interesting and engaging experiences. To simply say the game is fine and let it stagnate, to not consider the lessons already learned from a decade of people playing PS1, is a horrible attitude when you could instead participate in discussions of bettering the game for everyone instead of just yourself
That's... what they're doing? I never said I'd be satisfied with the game as it is forever? I just said as it is now, it's still pretty awesome. It seems absurd to put forth this fear when they just dumped a huge amount of information about what they're doing, and soliciting member feedback at the same time. Furthermore, it's been known for a while now that this was the time frame in which they were going to have that discussion.

The problem doesn't seem to be long term plan but the fact that the timeline is dissatisfying to some of the people in this thread -- that a lot of these features need to be in there now or have already been in there, which seems unreasonable to me considering what they're doing and the scale of the task. It's easy to say "Oh they should have made it like planetside 1 in the first place" but that's hardly realistic considering the amount of work and netcode that's probably gone in to making it play and look like a contemporary FPS game (something that, to my knowledge, PS1 wasn't, even at launch) while at a scale that hasn't been done before.

I just think people bitching need a reality check -- the game as it is, is pretty great. The features they're putting in the next 6 months sound great, and I've already given some feedback on their forums myself. Yes, it's probably not 3-6 years great, but it doesn't have to be because they're instituting changes now and have been doing a decent job of being on top of it for a while as well (apart from that break they took during the holiday season, which, I mean, come on).

MrBig

whatever your opinion is, it doesn't justify coming in here and lamenting the fact that people are discussing their views and wants. That is exactly what you did and that is what I responded to.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
March, right on time for SimCity! :/

Connery, huh :(

Have they ever further commented on being able to used purchased equipment across servers?

DeBurgo

whatever your opinion is, it doesn't justify coming in here and lamenting the fact that people are discussing their views and wants. That is exactly what you did and that is what I responded to.
I think I'm perfectly justified coming in here and saying that if I think those "views and wants" are ridiculous and unreasonable. I was hoping to come in here and see discussion about the changes (of which, there are a lot! A lot of them are really interesting if you've been playing the game!), rather than complaints about basically what they should have already done, which, even if you think that's a reasonable complaint, is like crying over spilled milk at this point.

Top Bottom