• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
Can't say I got any better performance with this patch. Actually I think the FPS is worse, but the game feels much smoother. And changing weapons doesn't have the ginormous lag it had before.

Any performance changes in the patch? Where can I find the patch notes?
Performance in empty areas is much better. Performance in contested areas is much worse. Rendering issues are as bad as I've ever seen them. Clearly something is wrong and they are aware of it because almost everyone has these issues.

J-Rzez

Considering my PC's stats on usages didn't change, but soon as there's a group battle things go bad, then get DC'd, I'm guessing it's server side.

It also ran fine early on, so the higher traffic experienced now maybe the cause. It's something on their end.

MrBig

Also always be sure to delete your useroptions.ini after every major patch so that the game has a fresh palette with that. I started doing that at some point during the beta and have done it since and haven't run in to post patch FPS issues at all.

mnannola

I noticed something today, when I am in an ATV using first person camera, I get about 20-30 fps. When I use the third person camera in the exact same spot, i get 60-75 fps. Why the heck is there such a big drop between first and third person cameras?

Gattsu25

Banned
My characters in order of usage (from most to least used):
Ijr - Jaeger (US East)
Iljr - Waterson (US East)
Hjlr - Mallory (EU)

Loving this game, so far.

Anton668

so I might be able to jump back into this.

Upgrading to a I7 3770K and a 7950. coming from a 5770, I think it may just help a lil.... lol

Guys I was thinking on checking this one out. What faction would you recommend for a newb? Or general tips/hints would be welcome :)

Thank you for your time!

Guys I was thinking on checking this one out. What faction would you recommend for a newb? Or general tips/hints would be welcome :)

Thank you for your time!
Create a character for each faction and see which one tickles your fancy. I know for certain that once you try them all you'll stick with the Terran Republic. We're just too awesome.

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
You may create characters for all factions, but I'm sure the Vanu will win your heart
I know for certain that once you try them all you'll stick with the Terran Republic. We're just too awesome.
If you have a spandex fetish or enjoy authoritarian governments, go right ahead.
Or you know, just go NC. We have FREEDUM and shotguns with planes attached to them.

But seriously, try them all out.

Also, I got the M40 for the Flash on sale the other day. Suddenly the Flash became my favorite ground vehicle.

MrBig

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what's the difference between Squad/Platoon/Outfit?

Squads are small tactical units of up to 12 people, platoons are a larger strategical grouping of up to 4 squads, and Outfits are the game's overarching clans of an unlimited amount of players. PS2 revolves around outfit teamplay, so if you're in it for the long haul you'll want to join up with one and make some friends, because you haven't really played Planetside until you've experience what it's like participating in strategic battles along with 50+ other people that actually know and care about what they're doing.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
Maybe this is a dumb question, but what's the difference between Squad/Platoon/Outfit?

I think squad is a group of 12 guys with a squad leader, a platoon is more than one squad grouped together with a platoon leader and an outfit is like a large clan that exists outside of the game,

You can be in a squad and have orders from your squad leader (usually with a marker on where to go next) at the same time if your squad is part of a platoon you can have platoon orders (also with markers) that the platoon leader gives out, or he might just give general directions to the squad leaders and not micromanage.

KePoW

Banned
Squads are small tactical units of up to 12 people, platoons are a larger strategical grouping of up to 4 squads, and Outfits are the game's overarching clans of an unlimited amount of players. PS2 revolves around outfit teamplay, so if you're in it for the long haul you'll want to join up with one and make some friends, because you haven't really played Planetside until you've experience what it's like participating in strategic battles along with 50+ other people that actually know and care about what they're doing.

Ok thanks for the detailed answer!

MrBig

bcjhkttceae4hu80eu67.jpg

@mhigby

Work in progress of upcoming weapon selection/loadout screen.

There's also going to be dev interviews during the Friday Night Ops streams starting tomorrow

Interview with Tom Schenck a Senior Software Engineer at Sony Online Entertainment working on PlanetSide 2. Tom has been primarily responsible for projectile physics, performance monitoring and optimization. He hopes to satisfy your coding and technical curiosities, so be sure to tweet your questions at #PS2FNO by 10AM PST today (2/7/2013)!

friday

I know weapon balance is not the most important thing in this game but damn the NC just seem to get screwed. Trying to make all the factions unique has screwed the NC and given the advantage to the TR. Larger mag size and higher rate of fire will always win.

MutFox

Banned
I know weapon balance is not the most important thing in this game but damn the NC just seem to get screwed. Trying to make all the factions unique has screwed the NC and given the advantage to the TR. Larger mag size and higher rate of fire will always win.

It'll be funny, once they balance it out,
the NC will dominate as they have learned to kill with inferior weaponry.

Im new to this game spent a few hours playing today and I'm really digging it. I'll have to read the OP to figure out how to find people here since I'M Rolling Solo Right now. If anyone is On tonight hit me up with a PM here on how to find you

J-Rzez

Yea, I never got the complaints either. I played NC for a brief period and their guns do crazy damage.

The problem is the flinch mechanic. When you're NC and you need every bullet to hit to get proper DPS output and you're getting splashed with bullet hoses you're going to miss way more easily. In this game, RoF > DMG. This is from someone who has mained NC, and has two alts in the other factions which I played relatively at the same time at launch and my TR and especially VS character had much better stats all around. Our weapons are good at mid-long range sure, but when you're being faced with player rendering issues and you can't see those people that far off your advantage is nullified.

J-Rzez

Except for the guns cancelling out a person being "accurate". The damage boost is very minor which often just counter acts any potential bonus.

Right. They should either tone down the flinch and recoil a bit, or, buff the dmg of everything NC as RoF > Control > DMG in this game actually. They won't though because even Higby admitted they don't have any NC on the weapon development and balance teams.

friday

It is silly how they handle the weapon balancing. Look at all other shooters these days and you will see the top players going for the weapons with the highest ROF. Time to kill is the most important thing. Slower firing weapons are for lower skill players that have trouble controlling recoil.

J-Rzez

It is silly how they handle the weapon balancing. Look at all other shooters these days and you will see the top players going for the weapons with the highest ROF. Time to kill is the most important thing. Slower firing weapons are for lower skill players that have trouble controlling recoil.

The interesting part is NC weapons typically are slower firing and have the hardest to manage recoil, lol.

Especially in this game with it's detection/latency issues along with the notorious flinch mechanic, it's completely against the grain and basically gimps one faction.

Regardless, I still have fun with the game. It's my go to shooter for now, and the foreseeable future. Until maybe BF4 I guess.

MrBig

That's because higher RoF weapons are extremely easy to use, not because they are inherently better, barring other factors such as the terrible flinch mechanic. Personally I go for low RoF LMGs or single shot weapons in most games as they are the most rewarding once you become skillful with them. I haven't played NC since early in the beta, but they seem to do well enough right now; I am more concerned with running into a force of NC than TR most of the time because the people who are good with NC weaponry seem to do exceptionally well.

The weapons are largely balanced around Rof x Damage per shot. So for the most part, the guns across all factions have very similar DPS numbers. The balance problem comes from accuracy and projectile speed. NC have, in most cases, the highest recoil and the slowest projectiles making their weapons generally the hardest to use. Then you have to throw in the flinch mechanic which also helps out the faster firing TR and VS weapons even more. Though, they did say they may look into making it so the flinch effect will vary based on shot damage, so the faster firing, lower damage weapons cause less flinch.

Got sick of the VS being severely underpopulated on Connery as fucking always so I decided to play my NC for awhile. Had a dude intentionally team kill me as I was destroying generators in a tech base because he wanted the experience. I spent 10 minutes following him around and killing him every time he was about to get any experience. Felt good.

Kw5FWBf.gif

mr_nothin

Banned
If you are Connery, playing on Indar they are apparently testing some new infantry render settings

I got my drivers license revoked...

Is the new infantry rendering settings thing true?
What's different about it?

I want to chk it out

EDIT:
Nvm, just read Higby's twitter

mr_nothin

Banned
:O
You can see ppl a lot further on Connery right now.
But FPS is nosediving down to the 20's sometimes now. This is on a 670FTW & i7 2600

Top Bottom