• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Woorloog

Banned
Argh, the game insist on setting RenderFlora=On every time i change a continent! It hurts performance quite a lot, being CPU dependent, and me being CPU limited...
Does FloraQuality=0 remove flora (but not trees of course, right?)?
Or should i set the user options file to "read only"?

I'd disable shadows too but unfortunately the game world looks just wrong without shadows... rocks and trees with no shadows, they look kinda flat...

EDIT what does UseLod0a setting in useroptions.ini do?

EDIT is there any chance PlanetSide 2 will be on PS4?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Those Scatmaxes were OP to begin with. If you came across an NC Max, close enough to see the yellow parts of their armor, you were just screwed and did not have enough time to dive behind cover.

I've been getting by on 8GB of RAM, but I'm sure I can upgrade to 32GB. Might be time to think about some secondary upgrades (I built the PC back in August). Still pissed about the NVidia graphic bonuses :(

Those Scatmaxes were OP to begin with. If you came across an NC Max, close enough to see the yellow parts of their armor, you were just screwed and did not have enough time to dive behind cover.

I've been getting by on 8GB of RAM, but I'm sure I can upgrade to 32GB. Might be time to think about some secondary upgrades (I built the PC back in August). Still pissed about the NVidia graphic bonuses :(

As infantry, pretty much, as a max, I seriously don't understand why more people wont bring a Comet to a max fight. Stay out of their kill range and pepper them with your AI gun and aim for headshots with the Comet. Its suprisingly easy to kill them 1v1 as long as you use distance to your advantage

EDIT is there any chance PlanetSide 2 will be on PS4?
Its rumored but no one has any proof

I just think they went on the nerf the wrong way. The problem was in a MAX v MAX fight the ScatterMAX had was able to kill way too quickly. Where NC had a noticable advantage under 5m which got worse the further out you go, 5m is largely a coinflip and any other distance they're at a severe disadvantage. Nerfing damage, ROF, and magazine size altogether was kind of overkill. At least one of those should be reverted.

What they should have done is increase the small arms resistance MAXes have from like 80 to 90%. It'll have to happen anyway if they want to give MAXes melee weapons. A HA can easily cut down a MAX to 50% health trying to close distance which makes any melee MAX completely useless.

Lonestar

Now, I do love lighting up MAX's with Lancer shots. I've already managed to fire off 2000 rounds with it :lol

MrBig

Argh, the game insist on setting RenderFlora=On every time i change a continent! It hurts performance quite a lot, being CPU dependent, and me being CPU limited...
Does FloraQuality=0 remove flora (but not trees of course, right?)?
Or should i set the user options file to "read only"?

I'd disable shadows too but unfortunately the game world looks just wrong without shadows... rocks and trees with no shadows, they look kinda flat...

There should be an UI option to turn off flora after gu06

Woorloog

Banned
So.. any EUGAFers playing on Miller actively? EDIT TR is my faction.
This game is good but it is absolutely no-go to a lone wolf :/

EDIT starter sniper rifle sucks.

EDIT or maybe i should go to Woodman, anyone there, in NC or TR?

EDIT Gah, i'm so badly CPU limited at times that i can't really play at all (about 20 FPS). Shadows off, flora off. What else can i do?
EDIT lol, setting program priority to realtime from taskmanager gave me a few FPS boost (5-10). Pretty good.

Woorloog

Banned
So, vent crazy and tested stuff for two hours, all factions. VR is great.
Why? Well, originally i wanted to hear which faction's snipers have best sounds.
And then i tested all the other weapons. And then i started testing how they actually behave. Then attachments. Vehicles. Figured out that i can actually fly with roll on mouse if i invert pitch for flying. Figured that i'm not fan of Drifter Jet Pack, the normal one is my thing.

Standard weapon for nearly all classes is the best one, LMGs and Snipers being exceptions (TR starter sniper isn't that good, need bolt-action). At least in my opinion. S version of the standard weapon maybe slightly better, wider variety of attachments but i question whether it is actually worth the price in Certs or CS.

Oh and the sniper sounds? Semi-auto sounds are best for NC. Maybe bolt-actions too. Scout rifles for them sound horrible. But no sound was what i was looking for. Also figured that sniping is not really my thing, even though i like the concept of Infiltrator.
Same thing in all games, i always think that i like stealthy approach but it is not what i actually like.
I don't actually know what i want despite thinking i know what i want.
What i actually like in-game? Frontal attacks, with assault rifle or carbine, absolutely no stealth.

I really like the fact that the continent cap alerts force people to fight on something that isn't Indar.

5B075D9CFAE7F23286F4805D4B304F5F6B587FF7

Lonestar

I was lucky to find out that the xp points from these alerts, are giving server wide (if you're logged on).

I was on an Indar Alert earlier today, after managing to que in with 15 minutes left. Fought some, and was there to see Vanu sneak a quick come from behind victory over TR. But I hit Instant Action, hoping to bounce from where I was at (which had been won and was isolated) to somewhere else, to possibly help grab one more spot.

Instead, I got sent to Amerish. All this was within 2 minutes of the end of the alert. I was cursing the game, debating if I should delete it off my PC or just go get some lunch.

Then I end up getting like 8000 xp when we won. And I laughed. Then went and got lunch.

Spazznid

I was lucky to find out that the xp points from these alerts, are giving server wide (if you're logged on).

I was on an Indar Alert earlier today, after managing to que in with 15 minutes left. Fought some, and was there to see Vanu sneak a quick come from behind victory over TR. But I hit Instant Action, hoping to bounce from where I was at (which had been won and was isolated) to somewhere else, to possibly help grab one more spot.

Instead, I got sent to Amerish. All this was within 2 minutes of the end of the alert. I was cursing the game, debating if I should delete it off my PC or just go get some lunch.

Then I end up getting like 8000 xp when we won. And I laughed. Then went and got lunch.

And the lunch was got, and it was good.

I miss this game so much. Can't game now, but when I'm fully recovered from surgery on my wrist, I am definitely playing this before anything else.

mr_nothin

Banned
YES YES YES!

The Public Test Server is up!
You can find the Test Server client here. (Yes, the test server is on a seperate 7.5GB client)

The Test Server is located on the East Coast (yay). It has the Battle Flow Improvements that they talked about earlier. You also start off with 10,000 cert points to start you off.
It's good to be back in the beta type environment so we can test all kinds of wacky changes to gameplay and see what's best.

Here are the release notes for the test server:
Battle Flow Improvements - The flow of combat in the live hex system can be tough to understand and predict, and can give the sense of chaos as opposed to appropriate tactical choices as forces move from one target to the next. We'd like to attempt a different approach that we think will improve the flow of battle significantly.

We have vastly reduced the connections available on the map
Each region is connected to only a handful of other regions, creating clear conquest lanes
This will better direct players to the next fight, and allow you to predict the best places to set up defenses

Vast areas of the continent are now part of the Neutral Zone
There are no restrictions or benefits to this zone
The Facility Forward Spawns have been removed - in their place are new Small Outposts
These function just like other Small Outposts. Their layouts are very similar to what the Forward Spawns were, plus the addition of Allatum Botany Wing and Saurva South Satellite.

Capture times are no longer impacted by Influence

Some underutilized outposts have been removed as they did not improve the new conquest flow
Nanite Pump Station
Archaeological Dig Site
ARC Bioengineering
Leopardwood Nursery
Spec-Ops Training Camp
Lost End Outlook
Mesa Comm. Station
Blackshard Platinum Mine

Some outposts were moved to locations that better serve the new conquest flow on Indar
Ceres Farms
NS Secure Data Labs
Seabed Listening Post
Nearly every outpost on Indar received some work to help secure the spawn rooms and the capture points. Our goal was to make it make it much tougher to impact these areas from vehicles

Crown Capture Points relocated. We moved two capture points for the Crown down onto the nearby bridges. We also moved the spawn room back into the tower
New Roads have been added to match the conquest lanes created with the new Hex map. They are…
From Indar Bay Point to Sandstone Gulch.
From West Highlands Checkpoint to Indar Comm Array to Dahaka Southern Post
From West Highlands Checkpoint to Allatum Broadcast Hub
From Gravel Pass to Blackshard Iridium Mine

We also removed some roads to better direct traffic along the conquest lanes. These areas remain passable terrain, we just removed the road.
From Allatum Research Lab to Hvar Northgate Garrison
From West Highlands Checkpoint to Allatum Research Lab
From West Highlands Checkpoint to Quarts Ridge Camp
From Gravel Pass to Tawrich Tower

Release Notes Here:
http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...release-notes-04-08-2013.114056/#post-1538938

Test Server Policies:
http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/read-first-test-server-policies.114038/

Lonestar

heh, so seems like they're gonna remove those sparse, corner bases. Think I've only been in 2 or 3 "average" size battles at those types of locations.

Oh, it's on a separate "install"? Don't think I have enough SSD room for another 8 GB. I'll have to use a standard HDD for it, if I want to try it.

Lonestar

I have an i7 at 2.67 Ghz and a 7850 GPU.

How would this run on my machine? I'm thinking of trying this out.

I have an i5-3570 and a 7850 2GB GPU, (and 8GB of RAM and it's installed on an SSD) and it generally runs at 40-60 FPS. The lowest it's dropped might be 25 fps, but it's been rock solid over 30 fps. Running on my TV's max resolution (1600x1200) with all settings on high, and the "renderer" slider or whatever it's called, down to about 80.

This is what my original concern was with the initial battle flow screenshot.

Some underutilized outposts have been removed as they did not improve the new conquest flow
Nanite Pump Station
Archaeological Dig Site
ARC Bioengineering
Leopardwood Nursery
Spec-Ops Training Camp
Lost End Outlook
Mesa Comm. Station
Blackshard Platinum Mine

Some outposts were moved to locations that better serve the new conquest flow on Indar
Ceres Farms
NS Secure Data Labs
Seabed Listening Post
Nearly every outpost on Indar received some work to help secure the spawn rooms and the capture points. Our goal was to make it make it much tougher to impact these areas from vehicles

Some outposts just had no place in the world and did not offer any sort of battle-value. Good to see SOE saw the same issue and thought to purge these areas from the map.

Found a new Vanu pump shotty when I screwed around on the test server. Looks like its just a reskin right now (silver instead of purple) with no changes to the model or stats yet but there was a different description for it. The map is super laggy atm too though I'm happy about the changes

From my brief time on the test server I like what I see. My only issue is that you can circumvent the large bases by just capturing the satellites and going around. From the NC's perspective, capturing Allatum should be a prerequisite to moving north to West Highlands Checkpoint.

Also, just playing around with the new common pool LMG and it feels really nice. I always felt that the game started out with far too many weapons. It was what, like 4 empire specific carbines, LMGs, MAX weapons, snipers, etc. Too bloated, too much to balance off the bat. I think they would have been better served to start off with just the one empire specific weapon and a common pool version that people could buy off the bat.

Hmm, how big is the Neogaf community for PL2? I've been playing this game for a few months, and I gotta say, it's one of the greatest current online shooters out there. Not to mention that the visuals always blow me away. This thread doesn't seem to be bumped very often though.

Just something I wanted to say about performance, I am playing on an i5 750 CPU with a Radeon 6950. I was running at 30-50 fps on stock settings, but once I overclocked that old processor to 3.8GHz, BOOM I was hitting framerates consistently higher than 60. Maxed settings. Being able to shoot without slowdowns in massive fights are a huge bonus.

MrBig

There's quite a few people on gaf that play that I've seen posting around, but yeah this OT isn't active or representative of that, mainly seems to be used for relaying new information and discussing that rather than discussing the game and what happens in it, that discussion would be held with whatever outfit people play with.

also
@mhigby

Players who bought the same item with 2+ characters prior to account-wide SC unlocks got a cert grant today for the items purchased. Enjoy!

I only ever bought stuff on one character that I can recall but I had an extra 1000 certs waiting for me today

cripterion

There's quite a few people on gaf that play that I've seen posting around, but yeah this OT isn't active or representative of that, mainly seems to be used for relaying new information and discussing that rather than discussing the game and what happens in it, that discussion would be held with whatever outfit people play with.

also

I only ever bought stuff on one character that I can recall but I had an extra 1000 certs waiting for me today

Some people got over 27k worth of certs, can't beging to fathom why they would do this. This just became a pay2win in an instant for some people. Why not refund with SC? Cause I'm pretty sure they don't offer the option for people to buy certs with SC. Kinda silly.

MrBig

Some people got over 27k worth of certs, can't beging to fathom why they would do this. This just became a pay2win in an instant for some people. Why not refund with SC? Cause I'm pretty sure they don't offer the option for people to buy certs with SC. Kinda silly.
There is a hard cap on certs to 10k, I doubt the validity of claims that high. I doubt this will be rolled back, even though this is obviously in error, because while some claim p2w everyone else just sees it as a bonus check and will cry if its taken away. The cert payouts are random, people who never purchased anything are said to be recieving them as well. These cert refunds are a one time thing, because players demanded the refunds after they demanded account wide unlocks, both of which were a great boon to players.

Now if there was to be a real example of p2w in this it would be those that demand account wide faction equivalent unlocks, paying for one thing and getting two free other things that those that wish to, unfortunately, faction hop, have to otherwise pay for twice in certs or sc.

e: higby is stating on twitter that the certs are a refund of duplicate items purchased via weekly bundles on your char

MrBig

Another image of the new loadout screen

The biggest thing that needs to change imo, besides the quantitative stats of course, is the loadout selection. The drop down menu is awful, and while it's absent in that shot, I don't see how they're going about solving the issue in this concept. The earlier shot had the small numbered boxes but that would be almost as much an issue as the drop down as you would have to click or hover over each one to see the name.

The new cosmetic preview system on the test server is quite nice too.

Here's Higby's explanation on what happened with the cert points today. They really should have just done SC refunds.

Lonestar

lol, VS and NC cont lock the TR on Indar (they had won Indar last), during primetime hours. :lol

Woorloog

Banned
Will we ever get artillery in PS2? Dodging falling shells as infantry is cool as fuck.
Give Vanu some Halo's Wraith-like plasma mortar, NC should get a railgun platform and TR could use a MLRS (multiple launch rocket system, fits theire more dakka approach i think) vehicle.

Will we ever get artillery in PS2? Dodging falling shells as infantry is cool as fuck.
Give Vanu some Halo's Wraith-like plasma mortar, NC should get a railgun platform and TR could use a MLRS (multiple launch rocket system, fits theire more dakka approach i think) vehicle.

It'd be cool. Planetside 1 had the Flail which was kinda cool (despite the shitty Core Combat aesthetics), I'm just not sure they would work from a technical standpoint here with the way render distance means if you're not in range of someone you can't damage them. I think a BF3-esque mortar for engineers could probably work pretty well.

Woorloog

Banned
It'd be cool. Planetside 1 had the Flail which was kinda cool (despite the shitty Core Combat aesthetics), I'm just not sure they would work from a technical standpoint here with the way render distance means if you're not in range of someone you can't damage them. I think a BF3-esque mortar for engineers could probably work pretty well.

Rendering distance is kinda moot if the artillery has long range: You aim via map (like BF3 mortar) or maybe BF42-like spotting system: scout uses binoculars on target location, and artillery gets that as their vision, with angle, direction and distance numbers shown for firing.
Or for more hardcore system, require scouts to supply directions for artillery: "slightly higher", "more left"...

MrBig

The PS2 app is now available. Andriod. iOS.

@mhigby

@Necroe vs weapons will no longer have an additional damage penalty to offset their lack of bullet drop.

Nice, that was a pretty big detractor for the VS and never should have been a part of their "balancing".

@mhigby 4m

@TheMittani talking to @RodneyGates and @injectedsenses about VS weapon audio... also to @PS_TRay about some... cool stuff for the VS suits.

@mhigby 46m

We also fixed an issue with the Magrider strafing up inclines that was causing it to be annoying to drive on hills for GU07

Lonestar

hey, VS has managed to hold onto Indar for another day. And while we all were losing the alert on Indar, VS capped Esamir. 2 whole continents, trying now for Amerish.

Top Bottom