• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Spazznid

Got back to playing PS2 after a month or so break, good to see that SOE is still too lazy to fix some of the major bugs!

Nothing is quite as fun as flying in an aircraft and out of nowhere your framerate tanking to 10FPS for a second or two thus getting you killed.
Or the good old crashes I have been having at random (that came in a game update a few months back) or the fact they have not fixed the draw distance for ammo towers (and thus they pop up in your face when flying and kill you), sure it would not be something as simple as changing a single variable in a file (ohh wait, it likely is).
But they did give us some ammo towers that are really two ammo towers on the same spot and thus z fight like crazy....

Lets not even get into the stupid collision detection that flat out killed an ally when he walked up to my mag when I was extremely slowly turning.

They've fixed everything but the bolded part for me...

Try turning PhysX off to get rid of crashing. It used to happen to me too, with PhysX on. Otherwise the only thing that affects me is Zfighting. The Towers don't pop up, and the Framerate is steady, maybe dipping by 5 or so, but never to 10, unless I'm using PhysX at the crown and everyone's nade-ing, and I'm supersampling...

MutFox

Banned
Just added myself to the GAF list.
NC on Helios server...

Not many NC here on GAF...
Thinking of starting an Outfit or joining one of the big ones on Helios...
My 6 months membership is almost up, will probably go for the 1 year one soon... :p

Mikey Jr.

My God I love this game. I check out my total playtime and I have 100 hours on it. Those hours just seemed to fly by.

It really is a fantastic game, and a shame more people don't know about it.

I'm interested in seeing all the weapon changes. What they told us about the attachments sounds good, but the battle rifles are still kind of ass. They wanted to make the battle rifles a better mid-range option, but it still has a slower projectile velocity than all LMGs.

mr_nothin

Banned
Those buggies look pretty damn cool. Might have to jump back in when GU8 goes live.

Driving the buggies is 1 of the most fun things to do in the game. They're a BLAST on the test server. Feels like a racing game & really adds to Planetside 2. I was driving around indar with a friend for an hour yesterday just messing around, boosting, and racing.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
ibxWq52wc4g1fE.gif

gifcam

it's all over for the internets

Lonestar

Is that... Planetside 2 in 3D?!

yeah, oculus rift. I really want to try it out. People that have, immediately swear to get one upon release, maybe even try to get a dev version (Giantbomb's Patrick tried it out at the EVE fest in Iceland last week, mentioned his opinion on the bombcast)

yeah, oculus rift. I really want to try it out. People that have, immediately swear to get one upon release, maybe even try to get a dev version (Giantbomb's Patrick tried it out at the EVE fest in Iceland last week, mentioned his opinion on the bombcast)

Thats epic, I want one. Probably cost a fair amount lol.

While id love a rift, the creators of the rift did suggest non developers to wait for the release version however, the dev version is supposedly real low res and will be improved in the future

While id love a rift, the creators of the rift did suggest non developers to wait for the release version however, the dev version is supposedly real low res and will be improved in the future

Even if its low res, it seems like any time someone tries it they just get blown away. I've certainly spent $300 on stupider things before.

Driving the buggies is 1 of the most fun things to do in the game. They're a BLAST on the test server. Feels like a racing game & really adds to Planetside 2. I was driving around indar with a friend for an hour yesterday just messing around, boosting, and racing.
Then I REALLY need to get back in there and try them when the update goes live.

nan0

GU8, huge changelog:
http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...ame-update-08-05-02-2013.121874/#post-1661848

Fixes:

Bug Fixes and Misc Changes

Fix for the extended magazine attachments not taking effect until after reloading.
Fixed an animation bug with the Lasher X2’s ammo clip during the reload.
Bolt action sniper rifles should no longer be inaccurately labeled as having Semi-Auto fire modes in the Depot.
The ammo, barrel, and forward grip cert prices for the AMR-66 should now be consistent with similar weapons for the other factions.
Fixed an intermittent issue where shots from the main turret of MBTs would not display properly.
Squad Deploy and Instant Action can no longer be utilized as a MAX. Squad deploy will now give the option of deploying as a different class.
The auto resupply function will now attempt to purchase up to the max equip count for an item based on available resources.
Increased the maximum look angle of infantry when looking down.
Fixed VS Cosmos VM3 having a max cone of fire of 7. It now matches all other MAX weapons with a max cone of fire of 3.
NC Bouncers and VS Proximity Mines now have attached lights that will allow aware players to spot and avoid them.
VS Comet VM2 will no longer show certifications in the VR zone.
Fixed an exploit that allowed engineers to create a self-repairing Flash.
Consumables no longer require resources to resupply in the VR training zone.
The resist shield duration will now correctly increase with each cert rank.

UI Updates

The vehicle stat page now shows stats for individual vehicle weapons. This includes ribbons and medals.
Added ability to preview items contained in bundles
Added directional indicator to capture progress indicators on the map
Colors can now be assigned per entity rather than via a global color setting. This allows players to apply color presets to UI elements that represent players (nameplates, minimap indicators, vehicle indicators, etc.) separate from facilities (basically everything else - objectives, map regions, terminal indicators, etc.).
Facility NPC indicators (terminals, vehicle ammo dispensers, etc.) now show up on the map screen at zoom level 5 (same zoom level as objectives).

Bug Fixes

Minimap indicators now properly update their colors when changing them in the settings and then returning to game.
Exiting the game should no longer cause Invert Reverse Steering for Tanks setting to toggle off
Fixed an issue with the weapon select HUD not updating properly when entering the VR zone
The Commissioner and Underboss pistols should now filter properly in the Depot
Fixed an issue causing some players to appear to have two helmets equipped simultaneously. May require impacted players to re-equip their helmet.
Leaderboards will now display earned certifications only
Fixed a display issue with Auraxium Loyalty Level showing as Copper after reclogging
Fixed a bug that would end a Twitch TV stream if you Alt –Tab’d out of fullscreen
Fixed issues with loadouts being reset after leaving VR training

Lonestar

they really screwed with Forward Grips and the grenade/smoke launchers. Forward Grip on LMG's lose their purpose, as well as make the gun heavier (meaning longer weapon swap times). Same weight attributed to all Forward Grips.

There's a 4 second delay for the grenade/smoke rounds, the delay comes when reloading from an engy pack.

god damn is the forum littered with so many idiots crying about the indirect nerf to rocket pods lol. No more instakill is a good thing :)

Curious how the forward grip feels, they were slow as molasses last time I checked on PTS but was supposed to have been sped up a bit. I'm not sure I'm liking the change to the basilisk, .75 is still a huge bloom, not sure you could accurately hit infantry or ESFs with that bloom.

Also, fyi, they pulled the fury nerf because there was a sale on the weapon yesterday but it IS still on its way (3 rounds to kill infantry last i heard)

Lonestar

god damn is the forum littered with so many idiots crying about the indirect nerf to rocket pods lol. No more instakill is a good thing :)

Curious how the forward grip feels, they were slow as molasses last time I checked on PTS but was supposed to have been sped up a bit. I'm not sure I'm liking the change to the basilisk, .75 is still a huge bloom, not sure you could accurately hit infantry or ESFs with that bloom.

Also, fyi, they pulled the fury nerf because there was a sale on the weapon yesterday but it IS still on its way (3 rounds to kill infantry last i heard)

yeah, I bought the Flash Fury yesterday :lol

I missed the line implying a nerf to the rocket pods (I assume you mean the ESF). Is it less damage, or less bloom?

Or the increase in tank resistance?

yeah, I bought the Flash Fury yesterday :lol

I missed the line implying a nerf to the rocket pods (I assume you mean the ESF). Is it less damage, or less bloom?

Or the increase in tank resistance?

well tanks got their armor increased (even rear) so a full clip to the back with rocketpods wont instantly kill anymore, I'm sure good pilots could finish up with the nose gun though

Lonestar

RizZenRiotzZ ‏@RizZenRiotzZ 5m
@planetside2 @mhigby spent 33 minutes in the Harasser and already have 49 kills and 150 certs... Love this thing

GU9 update to Nerf the Harasser

Wasn't the fury supposed to be anti vehicle anyway? I have a sundy equipped with dual fury's and blockade armor. It's fun circling around enemy zergs with it, it's surprisingly effective against even heavy armor.

Lonestar

reading AT's forum, and there's a segment of people that don't seem to care for it, and don't want it involved in Ops. That it'd just be easier to pull Mags or Lightnings, simply because those work with just 1 person, while the Harasser needs at least 2 (else it's just a driving machine). I think it could do wonders as a mobile AA, a quick strike/infiltrate machine, and a Sundy hunter. With skilled enough drivers and gunners, it could possibly survive long enough in battle with tanks, to take out said tanks.

All said without driving it, just from watching videos. Can't wait to try it out tonight

MrBig

reading AT's forum, and there's a segment of people that don't seem to care for it, and don't want it involved in Ops. That it'd just be easier to pull Mags or Lightnings, simply because those work with just 1 person, while the Harasser needs at least 2 (else it's just a driving machine). I think it could do wonders as a mobile AA, a quick strike/infiltrate machine, and a Sundy hunter. With skilled enough drivers and gunners, it could possibly survive long enough in battle with tanks, to take out said tanks.

All said without driving it, just from watching videos. Can't wait to try it out tonight
The best use of it imo is to soften up facility courtyards, shield bust through and clear out infantry with a flamethrower max and m40/m60, then send in infantry

Yeah, I don't think the Harasser will ever find a role so long as the MBTs are so easy to acquire. My solution would be the following:

MBT:
1. Swap guns so the driver controls the secondary gun. Like the Liberator, the driver shouldn't get the big gun (side benefit for SOE of encouraging people to buy more vehicle weapons).
2. Raise the resource cost considerably.
3. Restrict MBT to spawn only at Warpgates and large bases.
4. Buff MBT armor to increase survivability in exchange for less availability.

Lightnings:
1. Raise cost slightly.
2. Restrict Lightning spawns to Warpgates, large bases, and large outposts (think that's already the case.)
3. Raise armor slightly to offset point 1.

Sunderer:
1. Restrict Sundy spawn to Warpgates, large bases, and large outposts.

This would make tanks less spammy, but more valuable individually. Which in turn will help make Lightnings a better value proposition, and then make the Harasser and Flash as the "go-to" transports moving from small outpost to small outpost.

Lonestar

Your #1 on the MBT wouldn't work for VS, because the Mag doesn't have a rotating turret for it's main gun, it aligns with the direction of the vehicle.

Your #1 on the MBT wouldn't work for VS, because the Mag doesn't have a rotating turret for it's main gun, it aligns with the direction of the vehicle.

Yeah, the Magrider would be the exception, it would stay as is. Thats how it worked in PS1 for the Mags at least.

Lonestar

unsure, trying to piece together Higby's tweets about it:

Matthew Higby ‏@mhigby 1h
For more information about the Loyal Soldier bundle, who qualified for free Membership time, and why, check out: https://www.planetside2.com/respawn

@b0de_ If you have made any SC purchases in the past you will be given membership for the month of May along with the Loyal Soldier bundle.

@GBUclan yes, absolutely! All membership plans tack the extra months on to the end of your current membership.

@DanielPCollier You will receive the Loyal Soldier bonus as well! Anyone who has purchased with SC prior to April 3rd will.

@ATVFEngineer Nope, you'll receive the reward any time in the future you log in.

We fixed an issue with the Loyal Soldier bundle only showing up on one character too, it should now be on all your characters.

@Ronin0ni It should be claimable on all characters now, we fixed an issue with it only being on one. Let me know if not!

Also, as a special offer for the month of May only, 3-month memberships are available at a special discounted rate! Check it out in game!

As a thank you to our members and alpha squad players, members will find a Loyal Soldier reward on their characters when they log in today!

Sounds like, even members can purchase this 3 month thing, and it just gets added to the end of your current subscription, and already being a member gives us the camo stuff. I think, not sure, will have to check when I get home.

unsure, trying to piece together Higby's tweets about it:

Sounds like, even members can purchase this 3 month thing, and it just gets added to the end of your current subscription, and already being a member gives us the camo stuff. I think, not sure, will have to check when I get home.

Yup, I talked to CS on chat and updated my current sub to the promo one

Top Bottom