• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

MrBig

There's going to be a test server event in about 10 minutes, and every weekday at 5pm PDT.

Please come help test the new lattice system and other changes so that it can be released quickly to the live game and in a state that is actually fully functional.

MrBig

Looks like much of GU07 has been deployed to the test server. Updated quantitative stats system, cosmetic preview system, VS damage degredation balance, NS pistols, Battle/scout rifle balances, VS undersuit textures are now solid black instead of having purple and grey accents and the teal on armor pieces is reduced, a few weapons have new reload and cocking animations, and a lot more. Should be live next week.

Both pistols are 700SC/1000C. Premium members can purchase black or gold plated versions. The commissioner one is a .44, faster velocity more damage; the underboss is a .357, slower bullet velocity but with a faster settle time. Both are 3hk in max damage range, 2 headshot max damage range range. They feel very nice, I'm definitely buying the commissioner day 1.

GU07 Patching now (Max updates coming later :/) http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/server-maintenace-game-update-07.117226/

New in the Depot
  • NS-44 Commissioner - The awe-inspiring stopping power of the accurate NS-44 Commissioner revolver can put down even mid-range targets with a few well placed shots. Cowboy up and grab one today!
  • NS-357 Underboss - Chambered for the powerful .357 magnum cartridge, the snub-nosed Underboss revolver features a faster rate of fire and more controllable recoil than its bigger NS-44 brother. The only question left is did you fire five shots or six?
  • Both of these new pistols have statistically identical black and gold tinted versions available to members in the early access section of the Depot
  • New Helmets for Heavy Assault and MAX:
    New Conglomerate: GD Titan 113 Helmet
    Terran Republic: Bravo MHS Helmet
    Vanu Sovereignty: Protos Helmet​
New Features:
  • New Weapon Stats are now available! Damage Range, Reload time, and every thing else you need to know about your weapons is now at your fingertips.
  • Want to see how that Desert Scrub will look on your Sunderer or Character? Now you can with our preview feature!
Infantry Updates
  • Active Heavy Assault Shields and flak armor will no longer stack.
  • Jump Jet audio has been increased in volume.
  • Grenades are now thrown directly at the aim point. The arc has been slightly modified to work with this change.
  • Tanks mines have been increased in size.
  • Removed the forced weapon swap after deploying an object.
  • Lock-on rocket launchers can no longer lock on to turrets.
  • The repair tool targeting now functions similar to the heal tool.
  • All extra VS damage scaling at range has been removed. VS minimum damage now matches the damage scaling of the other two factions.
Weapon Specific Changes:

• Battle rifles will now more consistently recoil to the right.
  • Added the High Velocity Ammunition attachment.
  • TR M3 Pounder HEG
    Magazine Size: 2 changed to 4
    Projectile Speed: 70 m/s changed to 100 m/s
    Projectile Gravity: 2 changed to 10
    Direct Damage: 375 changed to 325
    Short Reload: 1.25 seconds changed to 1.75 seconds
    Long Reload: 1.5 seconds changed to 2 seconds​
  • TR MRC3 Mercy
    Projectile Velocity: 450 m/s changed to 550 m/s
    Max Damage: 143 changed to 125
    Short Reload Time: 2.4 seconds changed to 2.6 Seconds​
  • TR M6 Onslaught
    Rounds Per Minute: 475 changed to 490
    Short Reload Time: 2.4 seconds changed to 2.2 Seconds
    Long Reload Time: 3.0 seconds changed to 2.8 Seconds
    Minimum Damage: 112 changed to 100
    Minimum Damage Range: 65 meters changed to 50 meters
    Projectile Velocity: 450 m/s changed to 440 m/s​
  • VS Beamer VS3
    Short Reload: 1.7 seconds changed to 1.45 seconds
    Long Reload: 2.0 seconds changed to 1.75 seconds
    Aimed Accuracy: 0.4 degrees changed to 0.3 degrees​
  • VS Manticore SX40
    [*]Aimed Accuracy: 0.4 degrees changed to 0.3 degrees​
  • NC Warden, TR AMR-66, Eidolon VE33
    Vertical Recoil: 1.0 changed to 0.6
    Horizontal Recoil: 0.25 min, 0.35 max changed to 0.18 min, 0.22 max
    Recoil Recovery: 5 degrees per second changed to 15 degrees per second
    Aimed accuracy loss per shot: 0.125 changed to 0.1
    Hip accuracy loss per shot: 0.25 changed to 0.2
    Equip Time: 0.5 seconds changed to 0.85 seconds
    Short Reload: 2.3 seconds changed to 2.5 seconds
    Long Reload: 3.4 seconds changed to 3.5 seconds
    Damage scale start: 10 meters changed to 8 meters
    Damage scale end: 85 meters changed to 65 meters​
  • NC AF-18 Stalker, TR SOAS-20, VS Artemis
    Minimum Damage: 112 at 65 meters changed to 125 at 65 meters
    First Shot Recoil: 2.5 changed to 1.5
    Recoil Recovery: 15 degrees per second changed to 18 degrees per second
    Magazine size: 20 changed to 24
    Total Ammunition: 120 changed to 240
    Short Reload: 2.25 seconds changed to 2 seconds (long reload remains same at 3 seconds)
    Aimed Accuracy: 0.15 crouched moving, 0.25 stand moving changed to 0.2 crouched moving, 0.3 stand moving
    Horizontal Recoil: 0.1 min, 0.3 max changed to 0.2 min, 0.225 max
    Equip Time: 0.5 seconds changed to 0.75 seconds​
  • NC AF-6 Shadow, TR HSR-1, VS Nyx VX31
    Rounds Per Minute: 260 changed to 255
    Vertical Recoil: 1.5 changed to 1.0
    Recoil Recovery: 6 degrees per second changed to 8 degrees per second
    Short Reload: 2.32 seconds changed to 2.0 seconds (long reload remains same at 2.9 seconds)
    Damage Scale Start: 10 meters changed to 15 meters
    Damage Scale End: 85 meters changed to 65 meters
    Aimed accuracy loss per shot: 0.125 changed to 0.3
    Hip accuracy loss per shot: 0.25 changed to 0.6
    Equip Time: 0.5 seconds changed to 0.85 seconds
    Magazine size: 10 changed to 12
    Total Ammunition: 70 changed to 72​
  • NC NCM2 Falcon
    Reload: 2.5 seconds changed to 2.4 seconds
    Max Projectile Velocity: 80 changed to 100
    Projectile Gravity: 1.5 changed to 0.5
    Direct Damage: 750 changed to 675​
  • VS Comet VM2
    Projectile Velocity: 60 changed to 90
    Magazine Size: 1 changed to 2
    Direct Damage: 550 changed to 350
    Short Reload: 1.5 seconds (Short reload previously didn't exist. Long reload remains the same at 1.7 seconds)​
  • M2 Mutilator
    Projectile Velocity: 400 m/s changed to 500 m/s
    Long Reload: 3.5 Seconds changed to 3.4 Seconds
    Short Reload: 2.975 Seconds changed to 2.8 Seconds​
  • All VS MAX Anti-Infantry weapons except for the Nebula VM20
  • Increased starting accuracy by 0.1 degrees in all movement states.
  • VS Blueshift VM5
    Rounds Per Minute: 350 changed to 365
    Now does 143 maximum and minimum damage.​
  • VS Nebula VM20
    Rounds Per Minute: 400 changed to 425
    Accuracy loss per shot: 0.06 changed to 0.05
    Short Reload Time: 2.1 seconds changed to 2.15 Seconds
    Long Reload Time: 2.8 seconds changed to 2.6 Seconds
    Minimum Damage @ 50 meters: 112
    Projectile Velocity: 450 m/s changed to 430 m/s​
  • VS Cosmos VM3
    Long Reload: 3.3 Seconds changed to 3.2 Seconds
    Short Reload: 2.475 Seconds changed to 2.4 Seconds​
  • VS Lasher X2
    New model with new firing and reload animations.​
  • TR T7 Mini-Chaingun
    This weapon’s spool up time no longer acts like a fire delay. It will now fire immediately and then ramp up to its maximum RPM over the spool up duration.
    Aimed Accuracy: 0.3375 crouch moving, 0.9 stand moving changed to 0.2 crouch moving, 0.35 stand moving
    Hip accuracy: Reduced by 0.5 in all movement states.
    Short Reload: 3.4 seconds changed to 4.15 seconds
    Long Reload: 4.0 seconds changed to 5.0 seconds​

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed health and shield bars intermittently displaying as empty when wearing nanoweave.
  • Fixed reticule flicker when compensators are equipped on LMGs and slug ammunition is equipped on shotguns.
  • Fixed 3rd Person animation issues with the Phobos VX86
  • Fixed an issue that caused 1st and 3rd person animations to break for the Lancer if it was reloaded under the right conditions
  • Fixed issue that removed access to the VMS or DMO scopes when logging out with them equipped on the Eridani SX5 or SMG-46 Armistice
  • Fixed visual firing inconsistencies in 3rd person for the Lancer
  • Purchasing the TMS 4x Scope will no grant access to the correct scope
  • Fixed 1st person reload animation issue for NS-11 C
  • Fix for flickering OG-4 scope cross hairs
  • Healing an ally damaged by friendly fire will no longer grant XP
  • Addressed problems with the AV MANA Turret not displaying 3rd person projectiles accurately once at least one level of the turret’s cool down cert was purchased
  • Vehicle Updates
  • Increased Magrider base strafe acceleration rate.
  • Increases top speed to 20 KPH (up from 15)
  • Takes 2 seconds to reach 20 KPH (down from taking 3 seconds to reach 15)
  • This should also cause the Magrider to not slow down as drastically when strafing over small inclines.
  • Damage received when a vehicle flips over and hits the ground reduced. The vehicle will still take increased damage and eventually be destroyed, but this should allow a chance for the vehicle to right itself or passengers to bail out before it explodes.
  • Added option to toggle off inverting steering controls when a tank goes into reverse.
  • Improved Flash Handling
    Should be easier to control while in reverse
    Traction should be improved at higher speeds​
  • Bug Fixes
    Fixed issue that would not allow the S12 Renegade to be equipped while being trialed
    Proximity Repair system should now properly award support XP to the owner if they are not in the driver seat​
UI Updates
  • Strategic Communication Improvements
    Removed blinking map regions
    Capture progress is now displayed on the map
    Ally activity displayed on the map
    Influence pie charts have been replaced with population percentages
    Changed the visualization of enemy activity – activity level coloring is now a gradient of red instead of spectrum of different colors
    Disabled generator/spawn display for facilities
    Secondary objective timer display added to HUD indicators
    Facility icons now visible at all zoom levels on the map
    Map legend added​
  • Service Ribbons can now be earned for capturing and defending bases
  • Improved Item Preview
    Preview is now full screen
    Items can now be previewed on multiple classes
    Loadout Screen Improvements​
  • Locked gear and weapons can now be viewed and unlocked from the loadout screen
  • Quick camo selector added to main Class/Vehicle screens – Allows you to quickly select and apply permanent camos to all classes/weapons/vehicles
  • Removed the old class and vehicle landing pages
  • The currently equipped consumable can now be resupplied directly from the main Class screen
  • Medals are now displayed in the loadout from the main Class screen
  • Added a class/vehicle cert button to main Class screen
  • Specific weapon attachment slots can now be selected from the main Class screen and weapon selection screen
  • Item descriptions added to the weapon selection screen
  • Better Weapon Stats shown on weapon selection screen
  • Replaced stat bars with numbers
  • Added damage-range degradation graph
  • More weapon stats displayed
    Muzzle velocity
    Ammunition
    Hip Accuracy
    Aim Accuracy
    Iron Sight Zoom
    Indirect Damage
  • New HUD indicator for Ammo Packs
  • Added a Bundles category to the Depot
  • Added invert reverse steering option for track vehicles
  • Bug Fixes
  • Loadouts should now unlock properly if players earned enough XP at once to skip the battle rank that unlocked it
  • The Squad listing in the social window should now display additional squads when scrolling down
Facilities Updates
  • Increased facility secondary objective (generators and SCUs) XP rewards:
    Overload: Raised from 100xp to 250xp
    Stabilization: Raised from 100xp to 250xp
    Objective Kill: Raised from 100xp to 500xp​
  • Bug Fixes
    Turret shadows should rotate with the turret appropriately
    Vehicles in VR should now respawn more reliably​

So SOE has decided to do something very stupid.

The base (White) NS-44 and NS-357 are 700 SC or 1000 Certs

There are 2 more variants of each, the NS-44B/NS-357B (Black) and NS-44G/NS-357G (Gold) that are 1400 SC and 2000 SC respectively.

The stats are identical on all pistols. They are charging twice the price for the black one and almost 3 times the price for the gold pistol. Keep in mind your weapon camo's will cover up the Black/Gold of the higher SC pistols.

Only a moron would buy a Black/Gold version of this pistol.

WTF are they thinking?

There are 2 more variants of each, the NS-44B/NS-357B (Black) and NS-44G/NS-357G (Gold) that are 1400 SC and 2000 SC respectively.

The stats are identical on all pistols. They are charging twice the price for the black one and almost 3 times the price for the gold pistol. Keep in mind your weapon camo's will cover up the Black/Gold of the higher SC pistols.

WTF are they thinking?
This is what free to play is all about. It's smart business because plenty of people spend a lot of money on novelty shit.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
are the black/gold ones that price for members or non members? Maybe for Members, they're discounted down the the standard 700/1000 number.

Lonestar

hmm, so already paying a price for membership, and a double price rate purchase is our bonus? Meh, that's not getting purchased.

Spazznid

WTF are they thinking?

Was anticipating these guns and now own one. Not only that, but SOE gave me options and flair! I just bought the gold one, for $20, but technically, more like $6-7, since that's how much my Points costed when I got them. The great thing about these guns is that, despite what you may dislike about them, people want them. SOE is testing the water, seeing the people's response, and I, for one, have been waiting a long time for more crap that I can buy to further support them. The price is a bit high, I'll give you that, but most of my friends save for the 2X or 3X point's days and redeem Walmart cards, for an extra 1500 per card. If you don't want it or don't think it's worth it, then good. It's only there for players who find it priceworthy.

Lonestar

$6-7 for a gun is overpriced. That should be a price for a freaking continent, or vehicle. $20, that's DLC pricing, a whole new "game" or series of missions. Skins/gear should be like $0.99 and guns should max out at $2-3.

$6-7 for a gun is overpriced. That should be a price for a freaking continent, or vehicle. $20, that's DLC pricing, a whole new "game" or series of missions. Skins/gear should be like $0.99 and guns should max out at $2-3.

Agreed, though only buying SC from the Nvidia promos and Double SC days do help, their SC model skews on the high side which is why I've rarely bought anything outside of sales

MrBig

It's cosmetics. People can choose to pay or not pay and it wont matter at all. SOE can make their money off their stuff like that and it's not a problem because things like new continents and vehicles that really completely change the game are going to be absolutely free.

Pretty much why I only spent the station cash I have from the Nvidia promotion on weapons. If I ever put money in, I'll probably only spend it on experience boosts or do a month membership here or there.

The game is fantastic though, I've put in 30 hours and havent paid a cent.

Woorloog

Banned
Has the framerate improved since launch?

If you have weak CPU, probably not. I haven't had any real improvement over the beta, i'm lucky if i get 25FPS in "bigger" battles, with game priority forced to realtime from Taskmanager.
Dual core Core i5 (some laptop CPU, don't remember exact name) here.

Lonestar

Not a reason to bump the topic, but just browsing around the player stats online, and decided to see how much time BuzzCut has been on PS2. He's sitting at about 58 days and 4 hours of playtime, since November 20th, 2012. That's 156 days ago. He's been on that game 37.1% of possible hours since it's came out. That's just shy of 9 hours a day, every day.

Compared to, what I feel is an ok amount of time, my 9 days of playtime. 6% of possible time, or about 1.44 hours a day.

Even if I had no job or responsibilities to worry about, and could spend as much time on anything I wanted to, I don't know if I could play 1 game, even one that I enjoy as much as PS2, for 9 hours a day.

Liberty4all

Banned
Not a reason to bump the topic, but just browsing around the player stats online, and decided to see how much time BuzzCut has been on PS2. He's sitting at about 58 days and 4 hours of playtime, since November 20th, 2012. That's 156 days ago. He's been on that game 37.1% of possible hours since it's came out. That's just shy of 9 hours a day, every day.

Compared to, what I feel is an ok amount of time, my 9 days of playtime. 6% of possible time, or about 1.44 hours a day.

Even if I had no job or responsibilities to worry about, and could spend as much time on anything I wanted to, I don't know if I could play 1 game, even one that I enjoy as much as PS2, for 9 hours a day.

I heard he has other people play his account when he's not available.

MrBig

I still don't understand what role the buggy is supposed to fulfill.
Look at the wathog in halo if you want to see a popular application of this type of vehicle. Its an agile, light offensive vehicle capable of mounting heavy weaponry for quick get in and get out type attacks.

Look at the wathog in halo if you want to see a popular application of this type of vehicle. Its an agile, light offensive vehicle capable of mounting heavy weaponry for quick get in and get out type attacks.

If that thing is given a Walker and a burster max, i think it'll rival the skyguard for the vehicular AA role

That works because there's a limited cap on vehicles. When essentially everyone has access to Lightnings and MBTs that they can drive and guns themselves buggies will be the odd man out.

Now, if SOE decided to massively crank up the resource cost of Lightnings and MBTs (to like 400/700, respectively) then priced the buggy around 150-200, I think they might have a role.

Max weapons (not balanced yet) and abilities (NC and TR are up but if you use NC you'll need someone to break your shield to fire again) are up on the test server as well. Here are some of my priliminary thoughts after trying them out for about 1/2 hour

The commonpool flamethrower is really underwhelming, does 20dmg per second has a really short range. The Fragcannon (grenade launcher) has a 4 round clip and fires frag grenades with a 3 second fuse, I'm not a fan of this weapon and can see this becoming an issue in biolabs.

In its current iteration, the new NC av weapon (Sparrow) is essentially a cross between the AV mana turret and phoenix. It has a 1 round clip and its shots that are ridiculously OP when you give them extended mags (goes from 1 round per mag to 5), can take down a sundy in 1 clip using both arms. The NC riot shield feels kinda week, could only take like ~28-29 rounds from the default NC carbine to take it out and its kinda small.

The TR AV weapon doesn't have audio or even a description yet but is a 2 round dumbfire rocket and looks like a red version of the lasher ball, with extended mags it goes up to 6 and its quite good. Their lockon ability seems amazing right now, turning bursters into the most deadly AA weapon in the game so far (the fire rate reaches walker speeds i think lol). Using lockdown in AI weapons feels awesome right now too, you can throw down so many rounds down range its hilarious.

The VS AV weapon (Starfire) seems like a carbon copy of the Lancer (6 rounds per mag, same charge mechanic) in its hipfire mode. Its COF is ridiculous and while its damage is decent, singleshotting is completely unreliable but charging it to lvl 3 will bring down the COF but you still have a decent chance of missing vehicles. The ZOE ability isn't functional yet so I didn't get to test that.

Other things to note, max lvl Flak armor for maxes has been increased to 50% as opposed to its current 25%, max lvl Kinetic armor has now be increased to 7.5% as opposed to its current 5%.

MrBig

edit: damn they're set for 1000SC right now, gotta pay to look good i guess lol
I sure can't wait for player studio submissions, soes prices for cosmetics are ridiculous. Even with 1k sc being worth $~4 for me it really adds up. They also need to allow for more customization beyond a full armor set plus a helmet, split up cuirass shoulders torso legs feet arms gauntlets and a misc slot or two

Myomoto

New Helmets for all classes and max only helmets/armor available for preview on test as well

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/new-helmets.119970/

I'm really digging the TR Colossus and Dreadnought, The VS Hyperion would be awesome if it covered the whole face and the Xenoxus looks pretty menacing

edit: damn they're set for 1000SC right now, gotta pay to look good i guess lol

The dreadnought helmet looks preeeetty damn silly on the infiltrator.

I sure can't wait for player studio submissions, soes prices for cosmetics are ridiculous. Even with 1k sc being worth $~4 for me it really adds up. They also need to allow for more customization beyond a full armor set plus a helmet, split up cuirass shoulders torso legs feet arms gauntlets and a misc slot or two

Somebody brought it up in the thread that you can equip this helmet preview for all classes (minus max), if that's the case I think it makes the price a little more palatable

MrBig

Somebody brought it up in the thread that you can equip this helmet preview for all classes (minus max), if that's the case I think it makes the price a little more palatable

Yeah I noticed that as well, makes it a little better. If they release some alternate designs with a closed visor I'll probably purchase that. For now I'll stick with the composite helmets.

I'm really looking forward to new armor designs, I'm not too fond of the base VS stuff and the composite armor is a butchering of the original, fantastic looking pre-alpha armor designs for all factions.

T-Ray asked for outfit logo submissions on twitter, I went ahead and sent in the vsGAF logo I made a while ago so that if he adds it in at least it's there if vsGAF get resuscitated in the future, or if anyone just wants to represent GAF on vs :)

I posted this up on r/planetside today, would love to be able to customize the HUD like this in the future
eAqJP7M.jpg

Double SC if you buy a card from 7-11 tomorrow

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys, Canadian here. If I paypal someone $30, do you think an Americana could pick me up those SC cards? Anyone doing such a thing here for your fellow Planetsiders?

Got to try the ZOE system on PTS today, guy in my outfit even got Higby to join AT in PTS :D We were able to ask him a couple of questions about the current iteration of ZOE before he logged but told us that it

Increases move/strafe speed by 40%
Increases damage output by ~25%
Increases damage taken by 20% at max level and 40% at level 1

The movement speed bonuses are really noticeable once you turn on the ZOE and even apply to its regular sprint as well (using sprint w/ ZOE will make you outrun regular infantry). No real difference in TTK with AI weapons but it does feel significant against armor, bursters do take down air faster with ZOE on but not to the degree that lockdown does. Didn't get much real combat testing done with it because of the lack of people on PTS, hopefully more will showup tomorrow for the test session 12pm PST (3pm EST)

Pump action shotguns are ruining this game fast. It's a press to win weapon for almost any fight. It just feels embarrassing to use them.

TheD

The Detective
Got back to playing PS2 after a month or so break, good to see that SOE is still too lazy to fix some of the major bugs!

Nothing is quite as fun as flying in an aircraft and out of nowhere your framerate tanking to 10FPS for a second or two thus getting you killed.
Or the good old crashes I have been having at random (that came in a game update a few months back) or the fact they have not fixed the draw distance for ammo towers (and thus they pop up in your face when flying and kill you), sure it would not be something as simple as changing a single variable in a file (ohh wait, it likely is).
But they did give us some ammo towers that are really two ammo towers on the same spot and thus z fight like crazy....

Lets not even get into the stupid collision detection that flat out killed an ally when he walked up to my mag when I was extremely slowly turning.

Top Bottom