• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

MrBig

Good, maybe they can focus on fixing all the bugs and performance issues instead.

QA, engineering, and code teams are not the production artists and designers working on Hossin, and no performance issues or bugs are cited for the delay of Hossin, which was pushed back as all of the current 3 continents will have to be redesigned in accordance to the new hex design. Bugs and performance issues will always rise up and be worked on for the entirety of this games support cycle, but the speed at which they're making whole game better through expansion of content is extremely important in retaining players in the long run.

SmartBase

QA, engineering, and code teams are not the production artists and designers working on Hossin, and no performance issues or bugs are cited for the delay of Hossin, which was pushed back as all of the current 3 continents will have to be redesigned in accordance to the new hex design. Bugs and performance issues will always rise up and be worked on for the entirety of this games support cycle, but the speed at which they're making whole game better through expansion of content is extremely important in retaining players in the long run.

No shit, but at least they might have just a little more focus on the basics. Expansion of content is pointless when you get deteriorating performance with each update, just look at all the threads whining about GU4 and double XP.

MrBig

No shit, but at least they might have just a little more focus on the basics. Expansion of content is pointless when you get deteriorating performance with each update, just look at all the threads whining about GU4 and double XP.

What is the alternative then, fire all the artists while the engineering team works out optimizing the engine for the next few years while the game dies as no one wants to play the same state of the game that was never fully "completed" to begin with, or continue development of the game in full force? All of the bugs will never be rid of, and more will be produced as more fixes are made, and as much optimization is done, the hardware the game runs on will just have to advance in tandem.

e: and yes, as spazznid points out, beyond the odd bug that gets patched out in a few days following its introduction, my performance has remained flat or increased since beta, depending on how far I push the settings. At least the dev team is active and transparent, and fixes to things don't take weeks or months.

mr_nothin

Banned
GOT DAMMIT
Hossin being pushed back 4+ months means that Continent Locking/Warpgate Capturing/Linear Continent Progression has been pushed back 4+ months.
Oh come the fuck on....it was THE feature I was looking forward to the most out of the entire roadmap. Hopefully we can test it on the test servers and see how it works with 3 continents so we can get it out w/o needing Hossin.
:(

GOT DAMMIT
Hossin being pushed back 4+ months means that Continent Locking/Warpgate Capturing/Linear Continent Progression has been pushed back 4+ months.
Oh come the fuck on....it was THE feature I was looking forward to the most out of the entire roadmap. Hopefully we can test it on the test servers and see how it works with 3 continents so we can get it out w/o needing Hossin.

Might want to reread Higby's post, GU6 should have that linear continent progression or something to the effect.

I guess I am surprised that Hossin is four months away. Seems like four months is more than enough time to build a new continent from scratch and from the sound of it, its mostly build already just needs cleanup and tweaking.

MrBig

GOT DAMMIT

No, that stuff is going to start being tested on a live server in the next few weeks and deployed to the rest of the game in april. Since it's such a big change though, they're expecting to have to redesign parts of Indar, Amerish, Esamir, Hossin, and Searhus so they had to push it back quite a bit

mr_nothin

Banned
No, that stuff is going to start being tested on a live server in the next few weeks and deployed to the rest of the game in april. Since it's such a big change though, they're expecting to have to redesign parts of Indar, Amerish, Esamir, Hossin, and Searhus so they had to push it back quite a bit

Might want to reread Higby's post, GU6 should have that linear continent progression or something to the effect.

I guess I am surprised that Hossin is four months away. Seems like four months is more than enough time to build a new continent from scratch and from the sound of it, its mostly build already just needs cleanup and tweaking.

I dont see anywhere in his post where he said Continent Locking/Warpgate capturing would be tested on live servers and pushed out in April. From what I understand, they're going to be doing that with the psuedo/quasi-lattice system (which is different from continent locking/linear continent progression). He said that they are pushing Continent Locking back until they have the psuedo-lattice system figured out and working. He's hoping that the psuedo-lattice system holds us over until the real Continent Locking comes in. We're still going to be able to flip back and forth between continents at will, even with the pseudo-lattice/mini-hex system in place. They're going to try to fix "indarside" by giving point incentives on the other continents so the action will spread out across all 3 continents. We're not going to have to progress from one continent to the next...which is what I want. I want all 3 continents connected to each other. GU06 will not provide that. GU06 will provide Battle Flow improvements, which will make Battle Flow more linear,...but Continent Locking isnt coming in GU06. Higby has stated, multiple times, that they dont want Continent Locking without a 4th Continent.

Here's the update for Continent Locking:
Continent Locking Update said:
***UPDATE***
We've temporarily moved Continent Locking into "Unscheduled" while we work on Battle Flow Improvements and the Regional Empire Priority System. This is because decisions we make while working on either of those systems and seeing the impact they have on the game will have serious implications when designing how continent locking works.

It's still something we intend to get out to you guys as soon as makes sense, but not until we've got a clearer understanding of the the impact these other systems will have going forward.

MrBig

I had thought you were referring the the battle flow system for whatever reason, that was what my response was to. Everything is dependent on getting that out the door as quickly as possible.

mr_nothin

Banned
I had thought you were referring the the battle flow system for whatever reason, that was what my response was to. Everything is dependent on getting that out the door as quickly as possible.

Yea, I figured...
I guess "Linear Continent Progression" can also be interpreted as the "Battle Flow Improvements". I meant more on a Macro scale vs the actual progression from base to base within a continent.
The Battle Flow improvments will definitely help smooth things over though, I'm still excited for that! :D

Yeah, I assumed the Linear Continent progression referred to the direction of the fight withing a continent.

I think most pressing issue is the extreme back and forth the fights take. The way fights things tend to work out is that one empire gets their huge zerg together and pushes towards another warpgate. As the they take more territory, the amount of adjacency increases exponentially. The zerg has fanned out to the point that they can't adequately defend anything, and the zerg forms on the other side to push them back. That would be fine if it was just two empires because if you had spread out to take territories the zerg would have reconverged on the opposing warpgate, but with an omnipresent third empire its essentially impossible to hold on to any territory for an appreciable amount of time. I think the lattice system is the best first step because it limits the unsustainable adjacency,and will hopefully keep the zerg a little more organized and directed.

That probably sounds random and confusing, but thats what happens when I try to post something thoughtful from my phone.

So it seems like we have a few Vanu on Mattherson. I'm getting tired of running around looking for different pugs, are any of you in decent outfits? Seems like the GAF outfit is dead.

Awright guys, I have 9800 SC to spend. What guns shall I buy etc?

I usually play as supportive medic or engineer, but I am practicing my flying skills with the Scythe.

I also play as infil as my secondary role. I have the standard sniper and the bolt action V10 on my infil, so I assume investing in a secondary good gun here will greatly increase infil's versatility.

So, any tips on what I should invest in first?

MrBig

Awright guys, I have 9800 SC to spend. What guns shall I buy etc?

I usually play as supportive medic or engineer, but I am practicing my flying skills with the Scythe.

I also play as infil as my secondary role. I have the standard sniper and the bolt action V10 on my infil, so I assume investing in a secondary good gun here will greatly increase infil's versatility.

So, any tips on what I should invest in first?

Only buy things on Daily/weekly deals unless you want something like the new Lancer (available tomorrow) or AV Turret (which will likely be the best purchases for heavy/engi), which are unlikely to go on sale for a long time. The Vehicle Starter pack (which includes the rocket pods for the scythe) that has popped up a few times has been the best deal yet. Buying like this combined with only buying SC on double/triple days makes the cost of each item trivial.

For the infil the V10 or Parallax are the best rifles so stick with the V10 and then get the NS revolver for your secondary, which should be releasing next month.

SMGs are very good for CQC on any class.

Only buy things on Daily/weekly deals unless you want something like the new ES launchers or AV Turrets, which are unlikely to go on sale for a long time. The Vehicle Starter pack that has popped up a few times has been the best deal yet. This combined with only buying SC on double/triple day makes the cost of each item trivial

Thanks, I didn't know they did deals on individual items too. Thats pretty cool. I'll look out for them.

Chris R

Just how large should my install folder be? I try launching the game from steam after not playing it for awhile and it wants to download 7GB... I'm already at 9GB so I think either there was a huge patch I missed or for some reason it wants to download the entire game again...

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
was the game down? The launcer just loads into a black screen and then nothing. SOE mentioned all servers down at "1:06" though I don't know if that's West Coast Time.

Just how large should my install folder be? I try launching the game from steam after not playing it for awhile and it wants to download 7GB... I'm already at 9GB so I think either there was a huge patch I missed or for some reason it wants to download the entire game again...

My Planetside2 folder (located in Steam/SteamApps/Common/) is 10.9 GB

was the game down? The launcer just loads into a black screen and then nothing. SOE mentioned all servers down at "1:06" though I don't know if that's West Coast Time.

It was down for a while, should be up now, was able to login about 20 min ago.

So it seems like we have a few Vanu on Mattherson. I'm getting tired of running around looking for different pugs, are any of you in decent outfits? Seems like the GAF outfit is dead.

A bunch of us are in Azure Twilight now. Only real requirements is to use Teamspeak for Ops and buy at least 1 HSNV scope for your favorite class. Ask anyone with a AT tag and they should be able to get you in

Lonestar

A bunch of us are in Azure Twilight now. Only real requirements is to use Teamspeak for Ops and buy at least 1 HSNV scope for your favorite class. Ask anyone with a AT tag and they should be able to get you in

K, now the screens loading in, and it's updating a 50 mb update

Yeah, AT has Raz, Mr.Big and myself in it. But it's so large, I'm not sure we've had alot of run ins with each other. But you'll always have a couple squads to a platoon or 2 to play with.

Wait, is that HSNV requirement real? Part of me understands why, and part of me thinks that is incredibly sad. I've always hated the idea for HSNV scopes since Battlefield 3 did them. I had avoided using them for so long, but honestly the negatives rarely outweigh the positives. Two things they need to do is 1) reduce the actual size of the scope to take away some of the FOV while using it, and 2) increase the ADS time. The only negative to it is the limited range, but 90% of the encounters its fine.

Wait, is that HSNV requirement real? Part of me understands why, and part of me thinks that is incredibly sad. I've always hated the idea for HSNV scopes since Battlefield 3 did them. I had avoided using them for so long, but honestly the negatives rarely outweigh the positives. Two things they need to do is 1) reduce the actual size of the scope to take away some of the FOV while using it, and 2) increase the ADS time. The only negative to it is the limited range, but 90% of the encounters its fine.

Yea they tend to use smoke quite regularly during OPs and not having at least 1 gun with HSNV makes it annoying. I personally have it on all my guns save for the NS-11 but its a personal preference since most of my engagements are in close quarters to medium range, the 100m limit doesnt affect me too much.

Opinions on the new launchers? From playing around with the Phoenix it seems way better at picking off camping infantry than taking out tanks. Part of me likes that, but part of me is disappointed at the lack of AV power. I would probably take a good 25-50% reduction in AI damage to give it a boost to AV damage and to slow down the missle to make it a little more manuverable.

Lonestar

Lancer's only good against armor and maxes, and if you can hit Air, that too. But 1 Lancer probably won't kill any of them by themselves. But having rocket-type damage on a straight line at bullet speed, is great.

Interesting that the "White trail line" doesn't show up for my own Lancer shots, but I see other people's trails. The trails obviously work, cause I'll notice a huge shift of firepower come raining down on me when I left off a few rounds.

Managed to take out a hovering reaver with a couple single shots, though. Dude must have been intent on taking out infantry above me, that he didn't notice he was getting torn apart underneath.

Lancer's only good against armor and maxes, and if you can hit Air, that too. But 1 Lancer probably won't kill any of them by themselves. But having rocket-type damage on a straight line at bullet speed, is great.

Interesting that the "White trail line" doesn't show up for my own Lancer shots, but I see other people's trails. The trails obviously work, cause I'll notice a huge shift of firepower come raining down on me when I left off a few rounds.

Managed to take out a hovering reaver with a couple single shots, though. Dude must have been intent on taking out infantry above me, that he didn't notice he was getting torn apart underneath.

Side step after firing, you'll see the trail. I really wished this thing had a range identifier, half the time I'm not sure if I'm missing my target or if I just out of range :/ Some of the animations seem to have not made it into the game either (missing ammo counter, clip doesn't spin while charging and magazine slot doesn't open up while reloading). Higby did say on twitter that there is suppose to be a zoom ability with the Lancer but it wasn't implemented yet.

brentech

anyone hear get a new nvidia card that's supposed to offer $150 of ingame money, some of which is directed at PS2?

I just got the nvidia 660 from microcenter and they advertise the deal, but when I go to nvidia's web site it asks for a needed code and I'm not sure where I'm supposed to find that.

vazel

Banned
anyone hear get a new nvidia card that's supposed to offer $150 of ingame money, some of which is directed at PS2?

I just got the nvidia 660 from microcenter and they advertise the deal, but when I go to nvidia's web site it asks for a needed code and I'm not sure where I'm supposed to find that.
It has to be a participating retailer. I don't see Microcenter on the list here.

Really good promotion btw. Best promo I've ever received with PC hardware. I hope nvidia does something like this again. It recognizes the contribution f2p games have done for PC gaming.

brentech

It has to be a participating retailer. I don't see Microcenter on the list here.

Really good promotion btw. Best promo I've ever received with PC hardware. I hope nvidia does something like this again. It recognizes the contribution f2p games have done for PC gaming.
Hrm, this is what I bought, in store:

http://microcenter.com/product/4030...erclocked_2048MB_GDDR5_PCIe_30_x16_Video_Card

advertised on the page and the employee mentioned it, but if that's the case, oh well.
Maybe I'll try contacting them.

brentech

Can't find anything on receipt, but I'll look over with a fine comb again. Also have some product pickup page I'll look over again as well. For now I just shot their support page an inquiery about it with my sale #. Might get a response on Monday.

I purchased on 3/15 and built this past thursday. Don't have the game yet, but I thought it'd be an interesting try, especially with that offer in hand.

Liberty4all

Banned
I played some today after a long months long break from the game.

was shocked to find the Vanu wg moved to the old tr spot on indar. Loved the lancer. Like the defensive walls they added in some bases. Killed buzzcut (a highlight of my play session).

overall though not much has changed. Game is still desperately crying for more meta game play. Its still a great game though and will continue to evolve.

double sc this weekend? I'm still sitting on 16k worth lol

cripterion

Blatant nerfs to TR and stupid merge kinda killed my server (Cobalt)
Wanna play but sucks getting swarmed by the enemy.

6A7C4CDDA000786ADA2099B950466D9BC257D5F6

acksman

So is there much NC activity on Mattherson?

I"m on the NC side in the NC10 outfit on Mattherson. We have about 550 members. We focus on taking the other two continents a couple nights a week. Indar is well Indar. The NC is fairly organized and we are start to work on server wide partnerships with some of the other large outfits.

mr_nothin

Banned
Yea, couple days a week you'll see NC taking both Esamir and Amerish, I don't think I've seen anyone take Indar since the update

If everybody has an even population then VS usually owns most of the map on Indar....they dominate even with the slightest pop advantage.

Lonestar

Had an interesting battle last night.

NQyC04L.jpg

It was at Seabed Listening Post on Indar, and the NC must have had a platoon held up tight in it. We (VS) were coming from the base north of it (Danaka Amp), and our 1st major push was killed by dozens of phoenix's (truly, my first experience of "hmm, that weapon kind of broke the game"). So, we kept trying to creep Sundy's around the edges of this base, without alot of luck. We even tried attacking from the station to the west (Indar Comm Array) as it's got the higher ground, but it didn't go well either.

Phoenix's in open air are unstoppable, as I've yet to pump enough rounds into it (as it's flying to give me the gift of death), to destroy one.

We finally start hitting from all of these sides, long enough to sneak in a sundy behind this rock (the larger Purple blob), that had an angle the phoenix's couldn't hit, and starting to take over the base.

Until the TR showed up in a swarm of mosses, blew up the Sundy, and that was that.

I am getting tired of AT not putting enough weight into having a solid air cav group. Most fights we get into, will be infantry and armor.

Oh wells. An hour and a half later, we captured Seabed Listening Post (because everyone had left) Truly, a VS move!

PS2 map webpage

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is there a way to invoke the tutorial? I last tried the game on my old PC which couldn't run it for shit. I played again now that this PC runs it (seemingly, perhaps it will nosedive in large battles, but the VR training area with some activity stayed at a constant 60fps maxed, and the card only reached 62c too) well but the game didn't really explain anything and I didn't figure out how to join a battle. I went to server Miller cos some friends are on there at other times and it said something like areas with red are under attack in the warping interface thing but I saw none of that and I warped to an area with a higher percentage of enemy factions in the pie chart but still couldn't figure out if there was a battle to join and how...

MrBig

Is there a way to invoke the tutorial? I last tried the game on my old PC which couldn't run it for shit. I played again now that this PC runs it (seemingly, perhaps it will nosedive in large battles, but the VR training area with some activity stayed at a constant 60fps maxed, and the card only reached 62c too) well but the game didn't really explain anything and I didn't figure out how to join a battle. I went to server Miller cos some friends are on there at other times and it said something like areas with red are under attack in the warping interface thing but I saw none of that and I warped to an area with a higher percentage of enemy factions in the pie chart but still couldn't figure out if there was a battle to join and how...

The current tutorial is only in video formed, accessed via the "getting started" tab on the ps2 launcher. They're still working on an ingame tutorial.

I'd recommend watching Friday Night Ops with a couple of devs from SOE, it just went live and they are able to show off a great overview of the game with the free cam and they explain things so that new players can understand what's happening as they follow around an organized outfit.

MrBig

Does this game offer a lot of replay-ability? Like how is it an MMO and not just a shooter with a lot of players, little confused.

I'll assume by MMO you're referring to a MMORPG. PS2 is not a RPG, it is a FPS with a persistent world on a massive scale. MMO is a description of player count, meaning "a lot of players" for any genre it is attached to.

It's a huge sandbox game, you can do pretty much anything you want, on your own direction or playing with a huge group of friends against other huge groups of people.

MrBig

GU06 Preview

New Membership benefits:

• Members will have access to an additional 3 character slots
  • Members will now have a new, exclusive Daily Sale in the Depot

Alerts System:
The new Alerts system is a dynamic server controlled system that initiates server-wide game events. When an Alert triggers, players will have a set amount of time to achieve the Alert goals.
Alerts are designed primarily to fulfill two main goals for the game:

• Give players incentives and direction to participate in combat in other areas of the game than they normally might.
  • Encourage competitive, exciting fights during offpeak hours.

Service Ribbons:
The Service Ribbons system is primarily intended to give small, incremental goals to fulfill during normal moment-to-moment gameplay.

More info at the link

Top Bottom