• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare |OT| Prepare for Gardenful of War

-MD-

Everyone loves the game in my house from the 5 year old up. Dare I say it has Titanfall characteristics in that it can appeal to the casual and hardcore alike?

I'd consider myself a hardcore gamer (in my early 20's) and this appeals to me 10x more than titanfall does.

FHIZ

I haven't played during any crappy server stretches, other than launch, but I usually play during the afternoon, does it just fuck up on a nightly basis?

I've had no big issue with the servers on 360. On launch night I got disconnected for about half a minute at one point, and lag out of another match. Other then that its been fine. I play at night, if that matters.

Anion

I have been playing this since 5 and stopped like at 11 (EST). That's when my servers started to lag. The game lagged a bit, so I switched matches and the problem disappeared for a while. However, yesterday they wouldn't connect or would for 5 minutes.
I really wish this was on Azure...

The Soldier's Z-1 Assault Blaster is one of the best weapons in the game. Managed to get all 3 upgrades for it :O

Edit: The ZPG on the other hand is pretty useless.

My wife and I are having an absolute blast playing Garden Ops with her doing Boss Mode. I really hope they add a mode for the Zombies to fight a horde of plants instead. This Boss Mode is absolute genius and it's so much fun getting to ask her for help and bomb stuff for me. I hope this type of Smartglass stuff continues to be in more upcoming games!

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
The Soldier's Z-1 Assault Blaster is one of the best weapons in the game. Managed to get all 3 upgrades for it :O

Edit: The ZPG on the other hand is pretty useless.
I don't know, ZPG is pretty sweet when you spot some camper going into potted beast mode in the distance. They never see that ZPG coming!

My wife and I are having an absolute blast playing Garden Ops with her doing Boss Mode. I really hope they add a mode for the Zombies to fight a horde of plants instead. This Boss Mode is absolute genius and it's so much fun getting to ask her for help and bomb stuff for me. I hope this type of Smartglass stuff continues to be in more upcoming games!
I don't. One of the few solaces of my loneliness is that I can win at video games while others are nagged by their significant others. Now they're going to be included while giving you a material advantage in competitive multiplayer? Fuck that. Worst trend ever.

DaNcaKe

Looking for people to play this with. From the UK and mostly play evenings/weekends.
Will be on this afternoon for an hour or two.

GT: dancakeeeee

I have been playing this since 5 and stopped like at 11 (EST). That's when my servers started to lag. The game lagged a bit, so I switched matches and the problem disappeared for a while. However, yesterday they wouldn't connect or would for 5 minutes.
I really wish this was on Azure...

Yup. It would be great if this was on Azure. I imagine that they're using a similar server setup to BF4 since they're both on Frostbite though.

I'm hoping that Titanfall has a really smooth launch to show developers that they should be moving their dedicated servers to Azure so we can finally stop expecting every multiplayer game to have a shitty few days during launch. I'm cautiously optimistic that they'll nail it and not have major downtime. During the beta they only had those few hours on Friday which was caused by a bug and fixed within hours. The entire rest of the time I never had any issues or read about any major issues, which is pretty amazing when there were two million people across two platforms.

derFeef

If I would have one complaint it's the friendly collision and that there are too much narrow paths on the maps - it's sometimes frustrating.

Hopefully I am not forced to only stay in that thread. :D
DON'T GHETTOIZE ME MAN.

(Also, played a bunch of this earlier today---super fun. NOW I JUST WANT TO GET IN.)

I won't keep you in your thread-cage. ;)

GW is super fun in multiplayer, I've gotten a few friends together and played some Garden Ops. I'm pretty tired of Horde modes but for what it is it's pretty fun. I like that each game is rather short unlike in Gears or Halo or whatever.

If I would have one complaint it's the friendly collision and that there are too much narrow paths on the maps - it's sometimes frustrating.

Yeah, I totally agree.

What's even more maddening is flying the drones around. I can totally understand having a height ceiling, that's normal. There's just an insane amount of invisible walls all over the environment though near the roofs. So many areas which appear you can fly through only to be stopped suddenly. It can be very frustrating to fly those around in my opinion.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I noticed there's no actual time limit in tdm matches. Had one game where it dropped down to 3v3 and it took awhile to finish, and the game never added more people.

derFeef

Yeah, I totally agree.

What's even more maddening is flying the drones around. I can totally understand having a height ceiling, that's normal. There's just an insane amount of invisible walls all over the environment though near the roofs. So many areas which appear you can fly through only to be stopped suddenly. It can be very frustrating to fly those around in my opinion.

A "bouncy but walk-through" solution like TF2 has would be perfect imo - and yeah the invisible walls are frustrating at times.

One time an All-Star trolled the entire team and blocked the Zombie exit with his standees...

derFeef

I think 90% of my deaths come from Chili Bean Bombs...
Also the invincibility time after the Comper eats a zombie is ridiculous!

Time may be flying from having fun, but with a competent team, I get a metric ton of coins in Garden Ops.

I agree, time does fly, the game is a blast!
I average about 3000 a game from garden ops. But that's usually on normal mode.
Do you get more from hard mode?

I think the fastest way to earn coins is team vanquish. Your pretty much guaranteed 1500 and the matches are really short. Garden ops can get you a lot of coins but it's hit or miss.

Kyzon

I agree, time does fly, the game is a blast!
I average about 3000 a game from garden ops. But that's usually on normal mode.
Do you get more from hard mode?

I'd assume more. If I'm remembering correctly, then I got around 7K one time in Garden Ops when we escaped at the end.

I carried the team though as sunflower. Planted all pots, and healed everyone while still killing the majority of things (cept for gargantuan)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
For all the complaints people have in here about connections, I've had very few issues.

Some "rewind" lag on occasion, a few game freeze lags *I could move, but no one was taking damage or moving WITH me*, but that actually corrects itself more often than not.

All this talk about "Plant This and That is OP", and no-one ever mentiones how powerful Engineer ends up being when used right. His stun is like a wider ranged, shorter duration Chompuer Goop, He has one of the better initial AoE damage normal shots, and the Jackhammer Pogo makes him invincible / an anti-trap to Chompers, gives him faster movement speed, last a solid amount of time, and knocks back / Uproots "Turret Mode" plants, leaving them flailing and damageable.

I find my rage at "Cheap deaths" lessening more and more as time goes on, and my appreciation of once-meh tools raising.

I make sure to clear any Potato Mines I see when walking, and I rarely fall for one unless I'm in a hurry. Engineers weaken the traps of meddling plants by quite a lot.

Sunflowers BEAMMMM is pretty great against non-suspecting targets, and a good sniper, but she's ZPG bait from almost anywhere on the map out of it, even if you react as soon as you see the missile.

Peashooter Gatling honestly annoys me more than Chili Bean Bomb. The bomb is very damaging, but it's a game with resurrection... one rarely gets all the kills from the move. My biggest wish is more that a person could turn and shoot it, to weaken the impact with quick reaction. Since it's almost impossible to run from for many characters that will have used their "run" moves to get into the fight in the first place. I don't mind the damage as much, since Zombies with similar moves can generally layer multiple attack skills on at the same time... and Peashooter can just do that, then run.

I hadn't gotten into the "All Peashooters" or "All Foot soldier!" Teams much until yesterday, and I've been playing for hours, at all hours of the day... But it really exploded for me recently. It's not AS bad as it looks because there are different mutations on classes popping up more and more... but it's sad to see teams missing 1 or 2 of the other classes dues to an overflow. Definitely makes their teams easier to dominate.

I kind of wish Scientist could heal zombies with his Goop Shotgun. Doesn't even need to work with ALL scientist classes, just the one that uses Goop that looks just like the Healing Goop, ha.

Has anyone actually succeeded in destroying the Zomboss / Crazy Dave when they're part of Boss Mode? I've stacked on some damage, but I've never seen them go down. 2000 HP is quite a lot...

Mdk7

I'm having tons of fun, i'm at level 27 and all i wanna do is keep playing the game.
I enjoy ALL the modes, and i hope they will include a Beast inspired mode putting the players in control of zombies (letting you use also the bosses at higher ranks).

Meanwhile, i'm still (slowly) working on my fanart.. :p
Bhvqu1nCQAEWE8y.png

IV Wolfe VI

Neo Member
I enjoy the game. Found it very fun and a welcome change of pace from the call of duty/battlefield vibe. The art in the game is well done.

JLeack

Banned
So what's the highlight of this game? Is it the coop defense mode or the multiplayer competition?

I'm looking for a fun game to play locally with friends and this might be the answer.

Finally got and it's a lot of fun, although I suck bigtime. Game feels very fresh compared to military shooters.
Can't wait to play this with my kids on coop. Guess they will be very amazed to see their favourite iOS game in 3D :). Had absolutely no problems with the servers. I'm in the Netherlands myself, lot of German gamertags popped up, so maybe the EU uses different servers?

Anyway...are there just 5 maps? In the OT I read there are 10. Or do the maps become available once you progress?

Has anyone actually succeeded in destroying the Zomboss / Crazy Dave when they're part of Boss Mode? I've stacked on some damage, but I've never seen them go down. 2000 HP is quite a lot...

Quite a few times now, you get 250 coins for taking one down unless they forcefully quit boss mode before they die, then you get nothing but scare them off for a minute.

Nori Chan

I have unlocks two characters (one was the commando pea gotten from the free pack) and another was a scientist.

It seems to me that the all star is my worst class and I even have all the upgrades for him. He's just really bad with the only class that I have a sub 1 KD. Every other class I'm pulling a 1.5 or higher.

Also I'm rank 33 with every class being level 5, how about you guys?

Caayn

If my team is doing well, I'll start shooting that. They're quite easy to take down and give you 250 coins.
Rank 26 with the sunflower and the scientist at lvl 5 and the others at lvl 4 with the exception of the all-star who's lvl 3.

I stopped going for the challenges when challenges started to be "Vanquish 5 elevated zombies" and "Kill XXX enemy X times in a single session". Those are not fun, and tend to be stolen by a teammate.

Got two alternative characters so far the Marine Biologist and the Toxic Pea.

With most classes being over 6 me thinks. Scientist is knocking on level 9, I believe. All but one or two challenges available now require me to jump into G&G.

I don't know if it's interesting to anyone or not, but I've put on my site a few 1080p60 videos of the game:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_x_one_...-15080_en.html

Very fun title, and I'm really liking the way it looks too.

Will check them out for sure!

U2NUMB

I love this game so much.. so much so that after my X1 died last Wednesday I could not wait 2 weeks to play again so I bought another X1.

I feel happy and ashamed.

Garden Ops is unplayable for me. Every match I join has ridiculous lag, haven't seen performance like that for over a decade, any ideas how to fix it ?

derFeef

I am seeing more Zombie wins (or close ones) now, so I guess it's really a matter of people learning the classes.

pieman

Neo Member
Garden Ops is unplayable for me. Every match I join has ridiculous lag, haven't seen performance like that for over a decade, any ideas how to fix it ?

Is your NAT open or Moderate. Mine was moderate for me and I got a lot of lag in Garden Ops, now I have port forwarded so my NAT is open I hardly get any.

If you are using Xbox One, check in Settings>Network.

Is your NAT open or Moderate. Mine was moderate for me and I got a lot of lag in Garden Ops, now I have port forwarded so my NAT is open I hardly get any.

If you are using Xbox One, check in Settings>Network.

My NAT is open and the game is unplayable. Ironically, I traded Battlefield 4 in for PVZ because of this same issue.

Edit: I keep trying to play, but to no avail. This is certainly disappointing.

Camjo-Z

Definitely noticing that Chomper and Sunflower get used a lot less than Peashooter and Cactus, and with good reason since those two could probably win entire matches without any need of the other classes.

I am seeing more Zombie wins (or close ones) now, so I guess it's really a matter of people learning the classes.

Unfortunately for me, I've been losing more and more as Zombies ;___;

fuk u mines and bombs

EDIT: Some pretty good work there Mdk7.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, played a few games of gardens and graveyards and my zombie team actually won the match.

That's a good mode to rack up some kills and get some coins too

Top Bottom