• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare |OT| Prepare for Gardenful of War

Nethaniah

Gotta say i'm really loving this game, even the non-coop modes are really fun, one little graphical flaw that i wish we could turn off is that DoF, it looks so bad.

Also not enjoying the connectivity problems with Garden Ops, seems exactly the same issues that i had with ME3, can't be a coincidence.

Sushen

Somehow this game grabbed my interest all of sudden. I love the original PvZ, and I like the COD/BF parody aspect of the game. At least, until the next COD comes out, it may fill-in once it comes out for PS4; can't wait.

CoLaN

Despite some flaws (no text chat) i'm addicted to this game; playing the PC version.

It's just really fun, the maps are very well done, the unlocks are interesting and the art style is perfect.

Sushen

If I pre-order the PS4 version from the Playstation store, would I receive the pre-order bonuses, or those are only available for retail copies?

SoundLad

Anyone else experiencing problems when having MSI Afterburner running at the same time as PvZ GW? If I start running MSI, the game slows down to a halt - feels like a slideshow.

Also, as with all Frostbite games, I get dxgi_error_device_hung crashes errors with my Gigabyte GTX 780 ti OC version at random (sometimes could go days without the error). Underclocking to reference clocks seems to solve the problem though.

Nethaniah

Anyone else experiencing problems when having MSI Afterburner running at the same time as PvZ GW? If I start running MSI, the game slows down to a halt - feels like a slideshow.

Also, as with all Frostbite games, I get dxgi_error_device_hung crashes errors with my Gigabyte GTX 780 ti OC version at random (sometimes could go days without the error). Underclocking to reference clocks seems to solve the problem though.

Turning off the Origin overlay should fix the afterburner issue.

C-Jo

Just a heads-up for everyone:

We've rolled out a quick Berry Shooter patch. His splash damage has been reduced from 20 to 15, his blast radius has shrunk, and we've slightly scaled up his impact VFX to better match its effective range.

Nethaniah

Just a heads-up for everyone:

We've rolled out a quick Berry Shooter patch. His splash damage has been reduced from 20 to 15, his blast radius has shrunk, and we've slightly scaled up his impact VFX to better match its effective range.

All platforms?

I just got this game on the XB1 gold sale and its fantastic. It fills the gap that mass effect 3 multiplayer left once the generation changed.

Absolutely love it.

Its pretty much in the same vein as ME3 - loads of fun, light hearted and very additive.

The Cowboy

The 1st patch for PC is now live.

http://answers.ea.com/t5/PvZ-Garden-Warfare-PC/PvZ-GW-PC-Patch-Notes/m-p/3173338#U3173338
The first major PC Patch is finally upon us! We debated getting some quick fixes out right away vs trying to get the PC up to parity with Xbox platforms with regards to features, playlists, game modes and decided to go for the latter. So, thank you all very much for your patience while we put this together! We hope it was worth the wait.

Justin Wiebe,
Creative Director
Twitter: @JA_Wiebe

Patch 1.0.1.0

New Features:
·Added Push to talk for VOIP as well as a Mic Off feature – sorry about that everyone! We’re still scratching our heads to figure out how we missed this…
·Added VOIP Audio slider to adjust volume of VOIP chat
·Added New Game Mode – Vanquish Confirmed!
·Added New Playlist – Mixed Mode 8v8 which now contains all game modes.
·Added in-game callout for Origin Friend locations (green text and appears anywhere in the world) to help you find each other to play together.
·Enhancements to cheat detection systems & better support to assist FairFight in locating and banning players using cheats.
·Added an Invite Friend button located in the pause menu in Multiplayer games.

Bug Fixes:
·Fixed several stability issues/crashes.
·Fixed inability to select other users in leaderboard with mouse.
·Fixed inability to mouse over sticker packs when cancelling a coin purchase at Garden Ops End of Round.
·Fixed CPU/GPU spike when shooting on crossfire video cards.
·Fixed gesture selection bar when switching from mouse to controller.
·Fixed loss of input when cancelling a pop-up with the controller in the Garden Ops Lobby.
·Fixed crash closing Coin Purchase Pop-Up.
·Black screen that sometimes appears at end of round has been fixed.
·Character select screen had some specific audio missing.
·# of revives was not accurately displaying the correct number of revives at the end of round.
·Removed ability to change greyed out selections that should not have been selectable in options menu.
·Scroll wheel now properly scrolls selection in gestures menu.

Gameplay Tuning:
·Berry Shooter - The explosion blast radius and damage have both been reduced. We’ve also adjusted the size of the explosion VFX to better match its effective range. With these changes, the Berry Pea is still a strong splash-based character, but more precise aiming will be required.

bodine1231

How is the population for pc? I'm thinking about picking this up but if the online community is low I'll just buy the xbone version.

After the letdown of Plants vs Zombies 2, I had no faith in this game and figured it was just another poorly designed microtransaction cash cow from EA. Well, I was wrong.

Wow, what an incredibly fun game! It's like a cross between Team Fortress and Mass Effect 3 multiplayer with beautiful graphics and insane customization.

Such a breath of fresh air after the deluge of brown-grey military sims. I mean, who wants to looks like this...

call-of-duty-ghosts-f.jpg

...when you can look like THIS..?

Plants_vs_Zombie_Garden_Warfare_Zomboss_Down.jpg

Some things that stand out for me:

No snipers / everyone is a sniper: There's no ADS or scoping, everybody just gets a slight over-the-shoulder zoom. Two of the zombie support classes only do heavy damage up close but everyone else can snipe across the map with a little practice.

Camping is necessary and easily countered: Map control is crucial in all game modes which means a few dedicated campers can swing the battle easily. But no position is unassailable, everyone has plenty of special abilities (explosives, mobility boosts, remote control drones etc.) to root out a defender.

Microtransactions are fair and transparent: If you complete any game mode, you'll get between 5000 and 15,000 coins. You buy random bundles of upgrades / cosmetics with those coins; the 'best' bundles (those with the highest chance of rares) go for 20k .That means you get a solid upgrade every 2-3 games, which I think is fair. The huge amount of unlockables means you don't feel diminishing returns for a long while. After spending about 100 hours with the game, it doesn't feel like a grind to me.

I wish the game had voice emote shortcuts / text chat. The VOIP is really not working as intended and the 'mute all' button is sadly necessary... without it, countless open mics echoing game sounds and transmititng family noise will sap your will to live.

This game is really fun. The only thing that bugs me about it is wasting 40,000 coins on a character unlock only for it to be for a class I'll never use. Also the PC port is pretty solid. I run at 60 with everything maxed out on my crappy 7850.

What's an effective way to play as the Chomper? When you use successfully use the burrow ability you're left vulnerable until he finishes swallowing. Your abilities are locked until he finishes swallowing too. How are you supposed to get away from enemies if your mobility is temporarily reduced? Am I only supposed to attack when the enemy is alone with this class?

What's an effective way to play as the Chomper? When you use successfully use the burrow ability you're left vulnerable until he finishes swallowing. Your abilities are locked until he finishes swallowing too. How are you supposed to get away from enemies if your mobility is temporarily reduced? Am I only supposed to attack when the enemy is alone with this class?

The enemy doesn't have to be alone, you just need to be able to take cover for a few seconds. Ambushing around a corner or at the top of stairs works best. If they still attack you, feint a charge - zombies often can't tell you're chewing and they back away reflexively, giving you a few extra beats to take cover.

All in all, the Chomper is sub par for the Vanquish modes but great for objective modes - hanging back in the target zone with a few sun flowers or camping an inactive teleporter to take out rushing Engineers. You can also take out coffin zombies and barrel zombies easily, something the rest of the team struggles with.

minx

You know what would be great? If EA would fix their shitty servers. Since owning the game for weeks I have never been able to connect with anyone else while playing Garden Ops. Multi-player is fine but I always lose connection in lobby of Garden Ops. My NAT is open, I have cleared save game data, cleared cache, uninstalled etc. Done this all multiple times. So close to 100% percent achievement too.

xinek

*sigh* ... I was really excited for this game on PS4, then TLOU:R and Destiny beta stole my hype. After opening this thread, it's back. Nice to see the ongoing developer support and that the community is still going strong. But like I needed another game. Time to think about quitting that job ...

This comes out a week on Tuesday for the PS4 and I'm very much looking forward to it.

Will anyone from here be doing an OT for it? Or even a thread linking the OT from here? I assume it'll be useful to prep the new population coming in.

LtOrange

*sigh* ... I was really excited for this game on PS4, then TLOU:R and Destiny beta stole my hype. After opening this thread, it's back. Nice to see the ongoing developer support and that the community is still going strong. But like I needed another game. Time to think about quitting that job ...
I am in the same boat. This game looks like too much fun to miss out on though.

So I just got this, and I've been absolutely loving it. My only problem is whenever I play Garden Ops I get horrendous lag. First time I trudged through it, but tonight it was unplayable. I'm guessing it's P2P for 4-players? Only solution might be to play with friends.

They just patched in the new Suburbination mode, which is basically Call of Duty's Domination - keep control of three of map zones. It's a nice break from Gardens & Graveyards with more map variety because it uses the Vanquish maps.

The Plasma Pea, with its charged high-damage shots, is going to see a lot of sniper usuage and it looks interesting.

The new map Crash Course re-uses a lot of assets so it's not particularly interesting from a visual standpoint but the design is as detailed and well thought-out as the old ones.

Haven't touched the Bling sticker packs yet.

http://youtu.be/zC-jYz9VUI4

Dragoshi1

Hey, on the 19th, they're doing a Cheetos promotion for PvZ:GW.

By buying cheetos stuff at Target, we can get a code for the game that unlocks a Chester Cheetah skin for the Chomper and a zombie outfit+weapon, plus a CRAAAAZY pack.

We also get a 10 dollars off any version of the game, so I'm gonna use up the Origin 72hr trial, and then buy it on tuesday for 20 bucks.

I also have the PS4 version preordered, so I'm double dipping on this. It's tons of fun!

Soi-Fong

Not sure yet if I want to get the PS4 or PC version. I know the PS4 version will have a bigger population, but I don't wanna give up the 1440p goodness of the PC version. It's quite a looker at max settings and 1440p. lol

Sushen

Preordered it thru ps store. Downloading it right now. So, excited until now I realize that there is a timer running...such a teasing.

Hobiologe

@XboxOneGardener

Did anyone else notice the increased texture quality since the latest patches?

I feel the overall picture of the game looks even better now; so is it possible that the resolution was increased to 1080p. Maybe a 1080p stealth release without mentioning but why?

Panzon

Played this for 12 hours yesterday for the first time and snuck in 2 this morning. Holy shit is this game addicting. I hadn't played a multiplier shooter for like two years but this has drawn me back in. Even while at work I'm just waiting for the day to go by so I can play when I get home.

Only have a couple hours left to play from the Origin 3 day trial they gave but I'm just gonna purchase it. I foresee a big argument with my wife but oh well

Axoman

@XboxOneGardener

Did anyone else notice the increased texture quality since the latest patches?

I feel the overall picture of the game looks even better now; so is it possible that the resolution was increased to 1080p. Maybe a 1080p stealth release without mentioning but why?

A friend and myself were playing last week after getting the Suburbination update on XB1 and we both felt the game looked better.

Hobiologe

A friend and myself were playing last week after getting the Suburbination update on XB1 and we both felt the game looked better.

Thanks for confirmation. It's funny, because everyone who I was talking to says that but there is no single word from dev side. So I assume they achieved the 1080p with PvZ but have no clue why not mentioning it.

Still cracking out on this, Agent Pea seems OP.

I used to think that of several classes but then when you actually play them, you can see that the slight edge you get doesn't hold up when the enemy team knows what it's doing.

The only thing that looks iffy to me, balance-wise, is the sombrero bean... but I suppose it lets a single pea prevent a steamroll. I feel it needs a longer fuse so it still works as a denial weapon but doesn't get as many BS vanquishes.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Been playing this for about two weeks now and I'm ashamed I didn't buy it at launch, I really enjoy it a lot.

I also spent $10 in (free) xbox fun monies to get some in game money for more stickers, and I'm not even mad. Can't wait for cheetos dlc :p

Top Bottom