• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames Community Thread | Platinum maintains its luster forever

Best Platinum boss fight?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Bayonetta's storytelling sucks. IDK what standard you're going by or "well its a context for the game mechanics". Its cheap lookin', filled with stilted awkward dialog, overlong, and straight up boring.

Wonderful 101's storytelling was leaps and bounds better for what it was.

Nemmy

It's true that I know people (and NeoGAF is full of them) that played hard games when they were younger, but can't be bothered to do so anymore, often citing (understandably) tighter schedules due to work, family, etc. I find myself having the most satisfying, uninterrupted and guaranteed game time during my commutes to and from work, which is part of the reason the list of games I posted above includes a few Vita games. I still make a point to play games when I have free time at home, but it's true that it takes me quite a long time to extract all I want of a game (I've been playing W101 for a couple months now and I'm still missing several characters).

I guess it's entirely a matter of preference whether someone would rather spend, say, an hour a day polishing their skills in a demanding game or watching pretty cutscenes in some automated AAA blockbuster - I can totally see how the latter can be considered more fun after a hard day's work.
I feel ya there; I have spent many months on Bayonetta back when it came out, mostly playing it in short bursts, and there are still things I didn't do.

Yeah, perhaps it's not realistic to expect a game journalist to devote a hundred hours to complete all of Bayonetta's difficulty levels and explore all the nuances of its combat system; they're probably not paid enough, and a review has to come out within a reasonable window around the game's release. In fact, it might be argued that it makes more sense to write a review based on a few dozen hours of play, as reviews are meant to be aimed at the general public, not necessarily the hardcore fans like us, who will probably have better information sources like NeoGAF itself.

The Edge review of Bayonetta I mentioned didn't imply they did all that, but the part where they mentioned remixed enemies in Hard mode means they at least cleared the game and checked the next difficulty out. In a game that takes roughly 8 to 10 hours to finish on the first run, I'd say it's reasonable to expect as much from the reviewer.
And yeah, GAF is #1 source of both news and user reviews for me, but let's not kid ourselves, major review sites have a much bigger impact on most customers.

I see myself reflected in this post completely, although I'm optimistic thanks to the amazing channel that is indie game development now. Have any of you guys/gals yet to try FTL and/or Spelunky? They're seriously pure gold.

I have yet to play Spelunky. I played FTL for several hours total, and I liked it - though the somewhat random nature of its difficulty tired me a bit.

I completely agree. Platinum knows what they are doing with the story of their games. When the priority is the gameplay, everything should be at gameplay's service. For example, imagine slaying enemies as fast as lightning in MGR, but to know more about the "story", you are forced to stop and watch a 30 min long cut-scene every 10 minutes. It completely destroys what MGR is. Platinum titles not having a "serious" story/story telling is not a weakness. Its how it should be.

===
P.S: Lernaean :( What happened? :(

Again, I think we're mixing complaints here. :) A reviewer complaining that P* stories aren't "serious" is talking crazy. However, a reviewer complaning that Bayonetta's story is substandard, has a point.

Also, MGR had a perfectly good story for me. Hell, it's better than most MG games! If you watch all the codec conversations the world is crazy detailed too.

I think a good measurement is how much you know about the characters by the end, and how much you care about them. I cared about Blade Wolf, Samuel, and Raiden, and I learned a lot about their past and personalities. I came to love all of the main Wonder One's personalities, and I learnt quite a lot about most of them. I didn't know jack squat more about Bayonetta by the game's end as opposed to its beginning, and as a consequence, I didn't care that much about her, Jeanne, Cereza or Luka.

Well, it's taken till he middle of the following year, but the stars, my wallet, my schedule, and my backlog have finally aligned, and I'm finally the owner of W101. Going to get started for real this weekend.

Well, it's taken till he middle of the following year, but the stars, my wallet, my schedule, and my backlog have finally aligned, and I'm finally the owner of W101. Going to get started for real this weekend.

don't get discouraged if you have no idea what the fuck you're doing early on and just want to curl up in a ball and cry

Regiruler

Am I crazy or does the US Nintendo site, on the preview box for Tomodachi life, have
a Viewtiful Joe lookalike
?

Or is that some generic sentai they're spoofing off of

Ushiwaka

Bayonetta's storytelling sucks. IDK what standard you're going by or "well its a context for the game mechanics". Its cheap lookin', filled with stilted awkward dialog, overlong, and straight up boring.

Wonderful 101's storytelling was leaps and bounds better for what it was.

Again, I think we're mixing complaints here. :) A reviewer complaining that P* stories aren't "serious" is talking crazy. However, a reviewer complaning that Bayonetta's story is substandard, has a point.

Also, MGR had a perfectly good story for me. Hell, it's better than most MG games! If you watch all the codec conversations the world is crazy detailed too.

I think a good measurement is how much you know about the characters by the end, and how much you care about them. I cared about Blade Wolf, Samuel, and Raiden, and I learned a lot about their past and personalities. I came to love all of the main Wonder One's personalities, and I learnt quite a lot about most of them. I didn't know jack squat more about Bayonetta by the game's end as opposed to its beginning, and as a consequence, I didn't care that much about her, Jeanne, Cereza or Luka.

I personally didn't have any problems with Bayonetta's story telling/story. And I'm not one of those who didn't pay attention to the story or skipped the cut-scenes, no. That may be just me, of course. I found it cheesy, over the top and crazy, and I liked it.

If you watch all the codec conversations the world is crazy detailed too.
Exactly. My point was that, codecs are optional, not like normal MGS games which force you to listen to a long codec every 10 minutes.

Am I crazy or does the US Nintendo site, on the preview box for Tomodachi life, have
a Viewtiful Joe lookalike
?

Or is that some generic sentai they're spoofing off of

I don't know who that is, but I'm sure its not VJ.

Guessed it was the Digital Foundry MK8 thread, and based on his post history I'm guessing it's the Digital Foundry MK8 thread.

:(

I hope its not a perma ban.

don't get discouraged if you have no idea what the fuck you're doing early on and just want to curl up in a ball and cry

Nah I had played some stage at a friend's house last year and it definitely had that "what the hell is all this shit, what the fuck am I doing" first 5 minutes that I've come to expect and love when starting a Platinum title, but the controls made sense to me right away at least.

Akiller

MGR is the action game with best story imo( with DMC1), but it couldn't be otherwise(It's Metal Gear related after all). I like to think Bayonetta's story reflects the "trash" spirit of the entire game.

Guessed it was the Digital Foundry MK8 thread, and based on his post history I'm guessing it's the Digital Foundry MK8 thread.

Oh man, that thread was a graveyard.

Nemmy

MGR is the action game with best story imo( with DMC1), but it couldn't be otherwise(It's Metal Gear related after all). I like to think Bayonetta's story reflects the "trash" spirit of the entire game.

On the contrary, I liked MGR's story probably the least out of all Platinum titles I played. I agree with what Weltall Zero said that MGR has cool characters that you actually care about, much more so than Bayonetta for instance, but at the same time, the story itself just feels disjointed and random. It's like they had three scripts lying around ("These guys killed the Prime Minister and beat me up! I'm so going after them, revenge!", "Look at me be all psycho and fight my inner demons! I don't know what's right! Tool of justice!", "It's super evil to harvest child brains and start wars! I'm super stopping you, Armstrong!") and instead of merging them together into a coherent narrative, they just took random parts out of each and slapped them together. The whole Jack the Ripper part, for instance, had no closure at all and seemingly just served to introduce the Ripper Mode mechanic.
And the DLCs only made things worse and introduced bonus plotholes.

There's also one thing that really bothers me about MGR's story, and it's the fact that I honestly can't tell whether Raiden was supposed to be morally questionable at the end of the game or not. He basically does what Armstrong wanted to base his social order on (fights a private war because he's strong enough to) even though he hated Armstrong for it and called him insane. He said "I used to say my sword is a tool of justice, but this isn't my sword" before fighting Armstrong with the Muramasa, which makes a badass one-liner, but in that case, what did he kill Armstrong for if not because he considered that justice? Did the senator have bad breath or something?
Not to mention the whole Jack the Ripper thing makes me see the ending as a bit of a "psychopath on the loose" moment, and I have no idea whether this was intended or not - which I honestly blame on the messy storytelling.

Maybe I'm overthinking this or missed something really important, though.

EDIT @post above: apparently not :D

Ser Goje

On the contrary, I liked MGR's story probably the least out of all Platinum titles I played. I agree with what Weltall Zero said that MGR has cool characters that you actually care about, much more so than Bayonetta for instance, but at the same time, the story itself just feels disjointed and random. It's like they had three scripts lying around ("These guys killed the Prime Minister and beat me up! I'm so going after them, revenge!", "Look at me be all psycho and fight my inner demons! I don't know what's right! Tool of justice!", "It's super evil to harvest child brains and start wars! I'm super stopping you, Armstrong!") and instead of merging them together into a coherent narrative, they just took random parts out of each and slapped them together. The whole Jack the Ripper part, for instance, had no closure at all and seemingly just served to introduce the Ripper Mode mechanic.

There's also one thing that really bothers me about MGR's story, and it's the fact that I honestly can't tell whether Raiden was supposed to be morally questionable at the end of the game or not. He basically does what Armstrong wanted to base his social order on (fights a private war because he's strong enough to) even though he hated Armstrong for it and called him insane. He said "I used to say my sword is a tool of justice, but this isn't my sword" before fighting Armstrong with the Muramasa, which makes a badass one-liner, but in that case, what did he kill Armstrong for if not because he considered that justice? Did the senator have bad breath or something?
Not to mention the whole Jack the Ripper thing makes me see the ending as a bit of a "psychopath on the loose" moment, and I have no idea whether this was intended or not - which I honestly blame on the messy storytelling.

Thank you.

My faith in this thread has been restored.

That's the entire point of the plot of the game. It starts out painting Raiden as a morally righteous character, but when you've eased into butchering soldiers left and right, it points out how he (and by proxy, you) is just another sociopath who really enjoys killing. The Ripper Mode scene you mention is simply Raiden acknowledging as much himself. This mirrors Metal Gear's basic message (war is hell and killing is not heroic) beautifully. Whereas Metal Gear games reinforce these messages via gameplay, MGR does it by way of bait and switch. It makes you feel righteous and empowered, then it pulls the rug beneath you but showing you how all those you killed were mostly innocent and had no choice: gut punch. Obviously, this being Platinum, this is half serious and half tongue-in-cheek, so the punch is pulled, plus it gives you the choice to side with Raiden's murderous side; "yeah, I enjoy killing, so what"? I believe the fact that it's ambiguous enough to let you think for yourself what is right and what is wrong, rather than hammering the point home like a Saturday morning cartoon's episode aesop, makes it superior, not inferior, to less subtle works.

You say the game made you confused about whether you're supposed to think Raiden is a hero or a psychopath. What better praise could it possibly have?

That's the entire point of the plot of the game. It starts out painting Raiden as a morally righteous character, but when you've eased into butchering soldiers left and right, it points out how he (and by proxy, you) is just another sociopath who really enjoys killing. The Ripper Mode scene you mention is simply Raiden acknowledging as much himself. This mirrors Metal Gear's basic message (war is hell and killing is not heroic) beautifully. Whereas Metal Gear games reinforce these messages via gameplay, MGR does it by way of bait and switch. It makes you feel righteous and empowered, then it pulls the rug beneath you but showing you how all those you killed were mostly innocent and had no choice: gut punch. Obviously, this being Platinum, this is half serious and half tongue-in-cheek, so the punch is pulled, plus it gives you the choice to side with Raiden's murderous side; "yeah, I enjoy killing, so what"? I believe the fact that it's ambiguous enough to let you think for yourself what is right and what is wrong, rather than hammering the point home like a Saturday morning cartoon's episode aesop, makes it superior, not inferior, to less subtle works.

You say the game made you confused about whether you're supposed to think Raiden is a hero or a psychopath. What better praise could it possibly have?

I definitely look at the MGR story from this perspective much moreso. I do agree that some of the sub-plots could've had better connection to each other, especially a little more direct connection between the brain-taking and the military strike in Pakistan.

To add a little to what Wallet was saying, Raiden's basic motivation was revenge and to prevent more Jack the Rippers from appearing in the world, and maybe the need for them as long as men like Armstrong were around, trying perpetuate war on a constantly grander scale like the Patroits did (hoarding all the zandatsu's for himself maybe).

And I think it was better that Jack the Ripper got no closure; the thing that's been with him since being a child soldier; I don't expect that to go away easily at all. His moral ambiguity is right up there with Solid Snake, Big Boss, and plenty of other MG characters who acknowledge that what they do is reprehensible, yet they always find themselves drawn to it, and cause they have maybe too much in-common with the antagonists they're fighting. I think for any sequels, MGR will keep Raiden/Ripper as a "chaotic good" kind of character, where he'll terrorize the bad people (and enjoy it) while inadvertently sparring the innocent.

Ushiwaka

The Kamiya fraud story...
KuGsj.gif

Nemmy

I agree with you that the whole "listen to how scared those faceless soldiers are" scene was pretty great, and a gut punch indeed - it sure had the desired effect on me when I first played, anyway. My problem with it is that after that and the Jack awakening scene, the game simply drops the whole theme altogether, at least until the final moments of the Armstrong boss fight. I can't help but feel that what you're describing was the desired effect, but the dev hell/budget constraints/something else forced the team to rush the game and the narrative ended up choppier than it should have been.

How to put it... the game made me confused about Raiden not through it's narrative, but rather through the holes in said narrative, and that is what I consider a problem - I couldn't even tell if the overall moral ambiguity of the story (and Raiden and Sam being hypocrites) was intended or not. Compare it to Dark Souls with its intentional ambiguity, and how the NPC substories are told there - you get all the pieces of the puzzle, though whether or not you give them any thought, necessary to fill in the blanks, is up to you. Briefly talking with Quelaag's sister made me question my character's actions much more than MGR, which just tells you "so killing is bad, also you're a psycho" and that's it - from that point onwards, it's all flashy cutscenes with Raiden doing cool shit and being a hero.

I definitely look at the MGR story from this perspective much moreso. I do agree that some of the sub-plots could've had better connection to each other, especially a little more direct connection between the brain-taking and the military strike in Pakistan.

To add a little to what Wallet was saying, Raiden's basic motivation was revenge and to prevent more Jack the Rippers from appearing in the world, and maybe the need for them as long as men like Armstrong were around, trying perpetuate war on a constantly grander scale like the Patroits did (hoarding all the zandatsu's for himself maybe).

And I think it was better that Jack the Ripper got no closure; the thing that's been with him since being a child soldier; I don't expect that to go away easily at all. His moral ambiguity is right up there with Solid Snake, Big Boss, and plenty of other MG characters who acknowledge that what they do is reprehensible, yet they always find themselves drawn to it, and cause they have maybe too much in-common with the antagonists they're fighting. I think for any sequels, MGR will keep Raiden/Ripper as a "chaotic good" kind of character, where he'll terrorize the bad people (and enjoy it) while inadvertently sparring the innocent.

Looking back on my yesterday's post, maybe "closure" was not the good word for it (it was late in the evening after a tiring day, so yeah). I didn't expect a full and definitive closure, because like you said, it won't go away that easily, but some sort of a commentary on that, at least. Like I said above - I feel the game just sticks the whole Jack awakening scene in the middle od the story, and then leaves it there and never looks back, despite having two hours of cutscenes total. I'm not counting codec calls here, though from what I remember, the most acknowledgement of the matter they offer is Raiden saying that he's come to accept Jack as a part of him and thus he can now restrain himself or something like that - but there's no reason to believe he can judge that accurately, is there? So we're back to the "psycho on the loose" ending, but then why is Boris in such a good mood, if a bit saddened with Raiden leaving Maderick, rather than nervous that he unintentionally unleashed a superhuman killing machine?

Though thinking about all this now, I'm wondering whether the fact that anime and Japanese games typically show their protagonists enjoying themselves while killing their enemies is not hurting MGR's narrative. I'm so used to seeing a character smile while shooting or slicing someone/something up, and accepting it as cool without thinking about just how fucked that would be in the real world, that when a game has such a character and tries to paint them in a questionable light, all I'm seeing is normal behaviour, within the narrative conventions of course.

And just to make this clear, I think that the concept of the story in MGR was actually quite good, and I mostly blame the obvious cuts that had to be made due to the dev hell the game was through for the problems I have with it. But the end result is a game that spends more time on an annoying child with little significance for the overall plot than on the main character's psychopatic alter ego.

Looking back on my yesterday's post, maybe "closure" was not the good word for it (it was late in the evening after a tiring day, so yeah). I didn't expect a full and definitive closure, because like you said, it won't go away that easily, but some sort of a commentary on that, at least. Like I said above - I feel the game just sticks the whole Jack awakening scene in the middle od the story, and then leaves it there and never looks back, despite having two hours of cutscenes total. I'm not counting codec calls here, though from what I remember, the most acknowledgement of the matter they offer is Raiden saying that he's come to accept Jack as a part of him and thus he can now restrain himself or something like that - but there's no reason to believe he can judge that accurately, is there? So we're back to the "psycho on the loose" ending, but then why is Boris in such a good mood, if a bit saddened with Raiden leaving Maderick, rather than nervous that he unintentionally unleashed a superhuman killing machine?

I'm not sure he was looking to restrain himself after killing all of Desperado and Armstrong; acceptance was as far as he got to me. It's even unknown if he accepted the path Armstrong gave him at the end.

As far as a "psycho on the loose," maybe Boris (and me) expect Raiden to aim it at some force worth morally standing against, instead of civilians. It's easy to trust him with that after finding out about the brain-taking program, where Raiden was the only one at Maverick to actually do something about it, despite it being highly morally questionable yet legal. We'll see exactly where he stands in the sequel though.

I personally found it fitting that they didn't want to dwell for too long on the morality of what Raiden is doing; doing so would bring the narrative to a screeching halt really fast. I think their approach, i.e. "Hey, those soldiers you're killing, they have a family and some are in this because they don't have a choice. Just food for thought" and leave it up to the player to decide if they want to follow as much a non-lethal an approach as possible, or go in sword unsheathed. The game itself supports both approaches well, so it makes sense that the narrative doesn't go out of its way to make you feel bad for choosing one. In a sense, I feel it respects its players a lot more than many games trying to hammer a point; whether that respect is actually warranted (i.e. whether the average gamer will give two damns about morality) is probably a different matter.

So we're back to the "psycho on the loose" ending, but then why is Boris in such a good mood, if a bit saddened with Raiden leaving Maderick, rather than nervous that he unintentionally unleashed a superhuman killing machine?

Because a) he himself doesn't have a lot of problems with killing (notice he's not particularly worried with Raiden's bloodthirst throughout the game), and b) he trusts Raiden not to kill civilians/innocents. Of course, at this point "innocents" is a blurry concept, but it doesn't seem like Boris has too many issues with killing opposing soldiers independently of their personal circumstances (it's Courtney, Kevin and Raiden himself, and possibly the player, who make that distinction).

tl:dr; Raiden has a more stringent set of morals than Boris, so it makes sense Boris wouldn't be worried about what Raiden does or doesn't.

"I'm not sick, I'm playing retro games"

That bit got me. Just the thought of he's parents calling up on him to make sure he's ok and the image of him at PG HQ just chilling playing Space Harrier or something.

Am I the only one that finds that building ugly as hell? And as a Spaniard (even an atheist one) and a Gaudi fan, I find the comparison to the Sagrada Familia (not to mention other architectonic masterpieces) insulting. I mean:

NOT. THE. SAME.
(sorry for picturespam).

Nemmy

Am I the only one that finds that building ugly as hell? And as a Spaniard (even an atheist one) and a Gaudi fan, I find the comparison to the Sagrada Familia (not to mention other architectonic masterpieces) insulting. I mean:

NOT. THE. SAME.
(sorry for picturespam).

I don't "get" modern architecture (nor modern art, for that matter), so I'm with you on this - all skyscrapers are shiny sticks to me. But I guess that's what you get with "X Best Somethings in the world" lists.

And man, the Sagrada Familia is ridiculous. I love Gothic architecture, and Gaudi's version of it is NUTS. I really hope I'll be able to visit it some day, not to pray but to stare in awe.

NOT. THE. SAME.
(sorry for picturespam).

I've been doing engineering for 15 years, so anything that looks remotely different to the square towers I see every day looks wonderful to me.

As an atheist, I'd say that's one sexy cathedral, but I'm almost sure that would offend someone.

I don't "get" modern architecture (nor modern art, for that matter), so I'm with you on this - all skyscrapers are shiny sticks to me. But I guess that's what you get with "X Best Somethings in the world" lists.

And man, the Sagrada Familia is ridiculous. I love Gothic architecture, and Gaudi's version of it is NUTS. I really hope I'll be able to visit it some day, not to pray but to stare in awe.

If you ever go to Barcelona (which I wholeheartedly recommend), don't limit yourself to the SaFa. The rest of Gaudí's stuff like the Parque Güell and the Casa Batlló is equally amazing. :)

Keasar

NOT. THE. SAME.
(sorry for picturespam).

Wow, was that church dipped in the ocean and left there for a few years? Cause from a distance it looks like someone carved up a coral reef. Beautiful in any case.

Wow, was that church dipped in the ocean and left there for a few years? Cause from a distance it looks like someone carved up a coral reef. Beautiful in any case.

Yep, entirely intentional: sea motifs are a recurrent theme in Gaudí's architecture. See the aforementioned Casa Batlló:

(this is now officially Gaudí-GAF's thread :D).

Ushiwaka

So, I was thinking, is it possible for MGR2 to use Fox Engine? I mean, lets assume MGR2 is in the works, would Konami let Platinum use Fox Engine?

Golnei

If I recall correctly, didn't Kojima initially instruct Platinum to use the FOX engine for MGR; but time constraints led to them using what they were already familiar with?

Nemmy

Yep, entirely intentional: sea motifs are a recurrent theme in Gaudí's architecture. See the aforementioned Casa Batlló:

(this is now officially Gaudí-GAF's thread :D).

I may be super wrong on this, but I wonder whether it is possible that Gaudi's style inspired the artists behind the original Devil May Cry? I remember reading somewhere that their team was sent to Spain to take inspiration from local architecture, and Mallet Castle kinda looks like a Gothic building that started melting:

Ushiwaka

If I recall correctly, didn't Kojima initially instruct Platinum to use the FOX engine for MGR; but time constraints led to them using what they were already familiar with?

Yeah I remember reading something like that. But I think they did that because of the deadline Konami gave them. Getting familiar with a new engine takes time.And they have that time for MGR2.

Kojima wants someone to remake MGS1 with Fox Engine, so personally I think Konami is pretty open to other studios using Fox Engine as long as its for a Metal Gear game. I hope Platinum gets to use the FE for MGR2. Its a pretty powerful engine, and the thought of the over the top craziness they could do with it makes my head explode.

Golnei

Regardless of engine; they've given themselves a great starting point to expand in the sequel. Aside from the rock-solid base combat system; there are in terms of movesets 3 complete, unique styles running off Raiden's rig (Raiden's blade and unarmed movesets; as well as Sam's style - and with some light attacks, the polearm easily could be turned into one too) and several core additions from the DLC which could greatly benefit the main game in conjunction (Wolf's predator gameplay and expanded stealth kills; Sam's double jump, backflip dodge, air dash and taunt).

And that's just from their current assets - with a 2 year development cycle building off it, we could be looking at DMC4-level complexity in a campaign with W101-level depth. Or Bayonetta 2: Cyborg Edition, in other words.

(Sorry; for some reason the thought of MGR2:RR irrationally excites me.)

I may be super wrong on this, but I wonder whether it is possible that Gaudi's style inspired the artists behind the original Devil May Cry? I remember reading somewhere that their team was sent to Spain to take inspiration from local architecture, and Mallet Castle kinda looks like a Gothic building that started melting:

Eheheh, I remember playing DMC1 back then and thinking how much that particular part resembled a darker Gaudí. Back then I did believe the team might have been inspired by his works, but I didn't know they actually went to Spain; that's pretty much confirmation they were, considering his style is pretty much unique in Spain.

This reminds me I really have to replay DMC HD.

BadWolf

And that's just from their current assets - with a 2 year development cycle building off it, we could be looking at DMC4-level complexity in a campaign with W101-level depth. Or Bayonetta 2: Cyborg Edition, in other words.

Good luck with that, between Nero's sword and Devil Bringer systems and Dante's arsenal and styles, DMC4 won't be topped or matched any time soon.

And MGR doesn't need that tbh. In some respects PG struck the balance between fun, depth and flash that Capcom probably aimed for with the Dmc reboot.

oRzqyRj.jpg

This means they are teasing something for E3 right? RIGHT?!

A project with MS has been rumored for quite a while now.

Ser Goje

Do you guys think Platinum's relationship with Nintendo will continue in the future or Bayonetta is the end?

I think it is. Especially if they're making that Xbox exclusive.

BadWolf

Well the real question would be: "is Nintendo willing to continue the relationship with Platinum?"

Exactly.

W101 was really expensive to make but its sales were pretty bad, especially in Japan where it sold like 5K the first week (which is HORRIBLE).

If Bayo 2 bombs then that is a pretty good indication that the WiiU doesn't have much of an audience for character action games.

Platinum is in a niche with very little competition. I think there's enough demand for what they do to get them work for the forseeable future, while not enough to make them attractive as a long term partner on anything. Which probably works well for a group of people who seem comfortable working on new IPs instead of sequels in general.

Ushiwaka

Well apparently, JP is going to be at E3, considering his recent tweets. Kamiya on the other hand didn't even now what date E3 was, so I guess he's not gonna be there :( (Its Kamiya, so there's always the possibility of trolling...).

Anyway, 2 more days until E3. I hope we will see a couple of surprises from PG :) Can't wait!

Lernaean

Banned
Nintendo has no problem continuing relationships with devs that bomb if they continue to pump out good games. I hope/believe there is a future between Nintendo and Platinum.

I doubt any game revealed at E3 will be Kamiya's game, and i've said that in the past too.
Any new multiplat or even MS exclusive is not Kamiya's, so he is probably not trolling, although you never know with him.

PS: I'm back! Hey Ushiwaka mate o/

Ushiwaka

Nintendo has no problem continuing relationships with devs that bomb if they continue to pump out good games. I hope/believe there is a future between Nintendo and Platinum.

I doubt any game revealed at E3 will be Kamiya's game, and i've said that in the past too.
Any new multiplat or even MS exclusive is not Kamiya's, so he is probably not trolling, although you never know with him.

PS: I'm back! Hey Ushiwaka mate o/

Hey welcome back! :D

Yeah I think we should wait a little more to see Kamiya's next game. TGS or maybe next E3. The wait will be intolerable :/
Ok, last prediction before E3: I'm expecting a multiplatform and an X1 exclusive (trusting CBOAT on this one) from PG this E3.

Top Bottom