• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames Community Thread | Platinum maintains its luster forever

Best Platinum boss fight?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Akiller

I thought this thread would enjoy this short video

fe3a3ba40c.png

Keasar

So Ive been playing a bit of Wonderful 101 lately and I gotta honestly say, I'm not sure if its just that I don't understand it or that I don't like it much.

My criticism so far is that I really dislike that everything is bound to a resource that seems to run out extremely quickly. Attacks, dodge, block etc. are all tied to that Unity bar, which always runs out when I least expect it and I can't dodge out of or block a attack. And I can barely keep an eye on it because of all the stuff going on the screen, which brings me to my second point.

Everything is so bloody tiny and hard to see. Because of the camera distance combined with all the effects everywhere, its hard as hell to see what the enemy is doing. If they are gonna do a attack or are just jumbling around I have no clue in that complete clusterfuck going onscreen.

Speaking of camera, this low but zoomed out perspective is extremely annoying in terms of navigation. On one level with a crashing building I died several times because I had a hard time aligning the stick in the correct direction according to the camera. Or in other cases when having to morph a bridge or chain or whatever, its not unusual I miss the target by a wide margin and have to redo it a couple of times to try and align it correctly each time.

And about morphs, this whole "draw something to switch weapon" is really inefficient and half the times doesn't seem to respond. Ive been hit by a ton of lasers because the game would cancel out my line because I drew it too far (running out of unite bar as usual) and drawing the pistol or hammer is a pain in the ass.

So that's my take on it gameplay wise. I can't see this being better than Bayonetta (hint: nothing is) or even Metal Gear Rising as apparently a lot of people are voting in the poll. Unless I am completely oblivious to something that makes this game truly the best there is. As of now though, I think the controls and camera perspective hinders everything and just makes it worse.

So Ive been playing a bit of Wonderful 101 lately and I gotta honestly say, I'm not sure if its just that I don't understand it or that I don't like it much.

My criticism so far is that I really dislike that everything is bound to a resource that seems to run out extremely quickly. Attacks, dodge, block etc. are all tied to that Unity bar, which always runs out when I least expect it and I can't dodge out of or block a attack. And I can barely keep an eye on it because of all the stuff going on the screen, which brings me to my second point.

Everything is so bloody tiny and hard to see. Because of the camera distance combined with all the effects everywhere, its hard as hell to see what the enemy is doing. If they are gonna do a attack or are just jumbling around I have no clue in that complete clusterfuck going onscreen.

Speaking of camera, this low but zoomed out perspective is extremely annoying in terms of navigation. On one level with a crashing building I died several times because I had a hard time aligning the stick in the correct direction according to the camera. Or in other cases when having to morph a bridge or chain or whatever, its not unusual I miss the target by a wide margin and have to redo it a couple of times to try and align it correctly each time.

And about morphs, this whole "draw something to switch weapon" is really inefficient and half the times doesn't seem to respond. Ive been hit by a ton of lasers because the game would cancel out my line because I drew it too far (running out of unite bar as usual) and drawing the pistol or hammer is a pain in the ass.

So that's my take on it gameplay wise. I can't see this being better than Bayonetta (hint: nothing is) or even Metal Gear Rising as apparently a lot of people are voting in the poll. Unless I am completely oblivious to something that makes this game truly the best there is. As of now though, I think the controls and camera perspective hinders everything and just makes it worse.

Get Speed Charge or Energy Converter Custom Blocks to help keep the Unite Gauge charged. You can also recharge your gauge faster-- almost instantly by having the Wonderful Ones attack enemies on their own either by launching them with the X button or running the Wonder Liner over them.

For keeping tack of your character...can't help you with that and I'm having trouble understanding it. What situations are you in that you're having trouble tracking things? Gimme some examples please.

Camera and bridges, I had some trouble with this before because I kept pushing a button after making the line when all I had to do was have the Wonder Liner over lap and it automatically made the bridge. If the line's not going in the right direction, the touch screen might help in this one instance.

For morphs, from the sounds of your issues throughout your post, it sounds like you're trying to manually make giant morphs. It's fun to make giant morphs but it is hardly necessary, unless you're using the Unite Charge Custom block. You should really focus on just making your morphs as small as possible for speed especially if making the morph for utility as opposed to offense like defending against lasers. In fact the Sword morph that defends against lasers could never be cancelled out from making it too long, so I'm having trouble visualizing the scenarios that are giving you trouble.

Drawing morphs works a lot better if you don't do it in a single motion. All main morphs can be done in a tap or a 360 on the right stick. Gun = Tap up, return to neutral and then tap right, Hammer = tap up, neutral, draw a circle or forward and roll the stick in the opposite direction. Like a fighting game motion of forward, half-circle backward. Claw gave me some trouble until someone told me tap left, tap right, tap left.

Yeah, there are some enemies that require constant dodging and stuff, but by that time, you should have a larger energy gauge to make up for it. It doesn't deplete while your attacking. Make sure to collect all the batteries on your way to the next fight and don't spam the dodge or don't switch unite morphs if you don't need to. And the speed charge custom block will help you a lot.

Just hold Y and think of your group as a single big blob and that will help you to distinguish where the enemies are. The tiny enemies that spawn from the Dough-Goos can be dealt with by doing cyclone attacks or the team attacks since they will give you a lock on target to any enemy they hit.

This will just come with practice, to be honest.

Don't manually try to make the biggest weapon. It will usually be big enough to give you good strength and range and any size sword will deflect lasers. If you really need it bigger, you can buy the unite charge custom block. That lets you hold A to charge a bigger unite morph. Also, you should get the speed liner and speed charge custom blocks as you get better at using the wonder liner.

Think of the right analog like you would in a fighting game and just quickly make the motions for the 7 main unite morphs like you would imagine specials. Tapping in a single direction/charging it for a bit + A is unite sword, left-right-left is unite claw, tap up + circle motion is unit hammer, etc. This too will come with practice. Making small unite morphs is worthwhile since you can chain up to 4 morphs using X instead of A to execute it. Makes for devastating combos and gives your main controlled character some breathing room to continue combos.

I do think Wonderful 101 is on par with Platinum's other 2 best games, Bayo and MGR, but it definitely is the odd one of the trio. It's probably the hardest to master, to be honest.

Keasar

Still the same troubles, I swear the game is fiddly as hell on whats a sword, you align one person wrong in a completely straight wonder line and the game goes "The fuck is that? That is not a sword! No sword for you!"

Honestly wanna know why people think this is better than Bayonetta.

Still the same troubles, I swear the game is fiddly as hell on whats a sword, you align one person wrong in a completely straight wonder line and the game goes "The fuck is that? That is not a sword! No sword for you!"

Are you using the touch screen or the control stick?

Because I have never, EVER heard someone have trouble making sword.

Hmm, it might be an issue with your controller or if you are using the touchscreen, switch to the analog. It's literally a single tap in any direction and then press A.

Don't use the touch screen. Ever. Ignore it's there.

With the analog stick, a sword is simply holding it in one direction. It's literally impossible to mess up.

Keasar

I'm starting to give up on W101. Usually in games like these I blame myself for not being good, but W101 is one of those times where I swear it is the controls and camera working against me. Ive been fighting Vorkken now a few times and I'm at the point of annoyance where I just bash him until he drops for once. I still haven't figured out what to do against most of his attacks, sometimes the parry/block works, sometimes it doesn't. The dodge seems ineffective (does it have invincibility frames or not?) and I get hit anyway in 90% of the attempts. I wanna think I am not this terrible, having beaten Bayonetta on Infinite Climax difficulty with pretty good ranks, played DMC1,3,4 and Ninja Gaiden Black. I have enjoyed and loved every single one of those. This game however is beating me and I am not having fun with that.

I don't like the weapon switching of drawing lines which more often than not mess shit up, can't I just use the D-pad instead? Its not doing anything worthwhile anyway.
I don't like the camera angle and distance which makes everything happening onscreen extremely tiny and hard to head.

Can some GAFfer please explain why this is a better game than Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising?

I'm starting to give up on W101. Usually in games like these I blame myself for not being good, but W101 is one of those times where I swear it is the controls and camera working against me. Ive been fighting Vorkken now a few times and I'm at the point of annoyance where I just bash him until he drops for once. I still haven't figured out what to do against most of his attacks, sometimes the parry/block works, sometimes it doesn't.

Bomb, Hand, Hammer: block them.
Rest of the stuff: dodge them.
When he does the boomerang, it's a good time to hit him back.
Vorkken is kind of hard because his vulnerability windows are very small if you don't combo him immediately after blocking. It's one of those bosses that will take you quite a long time, and multiple fights, to master.

The dodge seems ineffective (does it have invincibility frames or not?)

Of course it does, but if you bought and have activated the addon that makes you do damage with it (turns the end of the spring into a drill), it will bounce off invulnerable enemies. For that reason, I have it off.

and I get hit anyway in 90% of the attempts.

That definitely should not happen, dodge has a massive window of invulnerability (essentially the entire animation). Make a point to get and equip the Hero Time block, which is equivalent to Witch Time from Bayonetta.

I wanna think I am not this terrible, having beaten Bayonetta on Infinite Climax difficulty with pretty good ranks, played DMC1,3,4 and Ninja Gaiden Black. I have enjoyed and loved every single one of those. This game however is beating me and I am not having fun with that.

It's a bit of a different beast to those, and definitely less intuitive at the beginning. :/

I don't like the weapon switching of drawing lines which more often than not mess shit up, can't I just use the D-pad instead? Its not doing anything worthwhile anyway.

Because drawing weapons is part of the game, much like inputting a Hadouken or a Super Combo is. You could select those with the d-pad (or analog, whatever you're not using) but that'd be missing the point, wouldn't it? Again, make sure you're using the right analog and not drawing on the touch screen, I can't stress that enough. When you get the hang of it it's very satisfying.

I don't like the camera angle and distance which makes everything happening onscreen extremely tiny and hard to head.

There's a zoom in button (L or R, I forgot which one is in and which is out), as I mentioned in my previous post.

Can some GAFfer please explain why this is a better game than Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising?

This is the third time you've asked about it and it's becoming annoying. What do you want us to tell you that you're not going to contest anyway? Why is lemon better than strawberry? TW101 is much deeper than Rising, has better story and characters than Bayonetta, and is more varied than both of them. It's gameplay is unique among the genre, and it looks amazing. Enemies are fun to fight, and bosses are a joy. Does anything of this convince you to love it? Do you even agree with any of the above?

I'm starting to give up on W101. Usually in games like these I blame myself for not being good, but W101 is one of those times where I swear it is the controls and camera working against me.

Sorry to be blunt, but it is you.

Ive been fighting Vorkken now a few times and I'm at the point of annoyance where I just bash him until he drops for once. I still haven't figured out what to do against most of his attacks, sometimes the parry/block works, sometimes it doesn't. The dodge seems ineffective (does it have invincibility frames or not?) and I get hit anyway in 90% of the attempts.

Nope. Every one of his moves can be dodged or blocked. The punch and the hammer can be blocked with Unite Guts, and the others can simply be dodged. And yes, it definitely has invincibility frames. Just learn to time it correctly.

I wanna think I am not this terrible, having beaten Bayonetta on Infinite Climax difficulty with pretty good ranks, played DMC1,3,4 and Ninja Gaiden Black. I have enjoyed and loved every single one of those. This game however is beating me and I am not having fun with that.

It's very different from those games despite using the same basic structure.

The liner using the analog stick works perfectly well, I don't know what to say.

You've asked this like 3 times already and it just seems like you are trolling tbh. I do think this game is better than Metal Gear Rising and on par with Bayonetta. If you don't, that's fine.

Keasar

I am not using the gamepad to draw the lines. Ive never used it. I am using the analogue stick and I still say that I would have preferred a proper button for switching weapons. As for the zoom feature, Ive tried several times and it seems to only have two modes of zoom, either really close or really far. Either I can see everything but nothing because of how small it is or I can't see anything because I am too zoomed in on characters while enemies around still attacks.

I'll keep trying to see if it clicks sooner or later. Apparently on the fifth stage they now hint that Unite Hand can absorb fire, something that would have been extremely useful to know earlier against every fire attack that instantly disables your Wonder team if caught in it. Which is also a really annoying mechanic, is there a way to get them all gathered back up quicker than having to constantly run around and pick them up manually until they all stop their stun?

This is the third time you've asked about it and it's becoming annoying. What do you want us to tell you that you're not going to contest anyway? Why is lemon better than strawberry? TW101 is much deeper than Rising, has better story and characters than Bayonetta, and is more varied than both of them. It's gameplay is unique among the genre, and it looks amazing. Enemies are fun to fight, and bosses are a joy. Does anything of this convince you to love it? Do you even agree with any of the above?
You've asked this like 3 times already and it just seems like you are trolling tbh. I do think this game is better than Metal Gear Rising and on par with Bayonetta. If you don't, that's fine.

I asked three times because I didn't get answered 'Why' it is good, just that it 'is' good. Believe me, I wanna find this great as a fan of everything Platinum have made so far (even with its highs and lows like Madworld and Infinite Space which are so-so in the overall picture). I bought Wonderful 101 despite not owning a Wii U so I could play it on my roommates console which is quite the expensive spending if it was just to get a opportunity to troll.

I am however failing to have that initial fun that Ive had with every other Platinum action game. The instant click where I feel this is awesome and fun despite that I am getting my ass handed to me and it really bothers me. Instead I am getting frustrated and I really don't like that feeling.

As I said before, I'll keep trying to beat it, maybe the pieces will all finally fall into place after enough tries and failures.

Which is also a really annoying mechanic, is there a way to get them all gathered back up quicker than having to constantly run around and pick them up manually until they all stop their stun?

Yes, there is; Saur's videos explain as much. You can pick them up with the Wonder Liner, so you can make a long, straight line, then run perpendicular to the line to sweep the entire area.

I asked three times because I didn't get answered 'Why' it is good, just that it 'is' good.

Thanks for completely ignoring the rest of my reply. Yet again, what do you want us to tell you?

Which is also a really annoying mechanic, is there a way to get them all gathered back up quicker than having to constantly run around and pick them up manually until they all stop their stun?

Getting hurt is an annoying mechanic? Isn't that the point?

You can recover stunned Wonderful Ones faster by running the Wonder Liner over them. Tap Y to start a Run state (don't hold the button), extend a straight Wonder Liner from your character like to their side or something, and then just "rake up" the Wonderful Ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSAbLRnGiWg&t=03m14s

Keasar

Thanks for completely ignoring the rest of my reply. Yet again, what do you want us to tell you?

Getting hurt is an annoying mechanic? Isn't that the point?

You can recover stunned Wonderful Ones faster by running the Wonder Liner over them. Tap Y to start a Run state (don't hold the button), extend a straight Wonder Liner from your character like to their side or something, and then just "rake up" the Wonderful Ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSAbLRnGiWg&t=03m14s
I'll be checking them out, thanks. And when I said annoying, it is that the recovery time from damage was really long if you had to run around and pick them up manually, I had no idea about using a wonder line to recover them.

It was not my intention to make you think I ignored it, I'm sorry if that is how it came across, I did read it and am still considering a lot about the story and characters since I haven't yet seen it all. Ive already told you what I think of the gameplay mechanics and how I felt about them in my initial impressions. The gameplay is unique, Ill give it that, but is it better than Bayonetta and MGR? Not so far from my experience. Maybe that will change because apparently there is a ton of nuances that the game doesn't explain when playing. Despite Bayonetta having also a lot of depths in its combat, at least it was fun from the get go, the fluidity of fighting was easy to get into and from there work your way up.

As for the story and characters, I haven't completed it but if you want what I think so far here it is: I don't think that much of their verbal humor is funny except for Wonder Red's weird ticks when meeting people and some lines here and there. Most of the slapstick is good though. I think the story so far is pretty basic aliens invades Earth and they got a funny name. Wonder Pink is extremely fucking annoying and makes me hate her.

Unit24

My problem with Wonderful 101 is that it explains itself very poorly. Also, the collectibles are hidden in needlessly obscure spots where you couldn't possibly find them without a guide.

Ushiwaka

I've been thinking about buying an X1 instead of a PS4 lately. Just because of Scalebound. Seriously, after comparing the two systems, it came down to Uncharted 4 vs a Platinum game for me and since I had more fun with Platinum titles than the Uncharted series, I think I'm going with the X1. The decision is not final though. There's a long way until Scalebound's release and who knows what could happen. But for me, X1 now seems like a good option.
Knowing my luck, Platinum will announce a PS4 exclusive just to fuck up my decision :/

I have to watch it , it's Imaishi's stuff after all.

Watch it! NOW! :D It's fucking insane.

I'm on my annual re-watch of the series right now. It's my favourite anime by a mile.

I think I even enjoyed it more than Kill la Kill. It's a shame we never got a season 2.

Freakmonkey

Neo Member
The raw faith I have in Platinum is enough for me to want Scalebound, that combined with Sunset Overdrive and Killer Instinct is what makes me want an X1 before PS4

Mine01

Man after playing Vanquish and W101 i think P* is my favorite developer just behind nintendo as a whole.

I think i like them because they put gameplay above anything else.

Now downloading MGR on my 360 and waiting for Bayo 1/2.

Regiruler

My problem with Wonderful 101 is that it explains itself very poorly. Also, the collectibles are hidden in needlessly obscure spots where you couldn't possibly find them without a guide.

It's the collectibles thing that annoys me the most. It makes the game feel incredibly old for some reason.

I just wrapped up The Wonderful 101 for the first time yesterday and it was an amazing rush. The rough spots of the game (the heavily fluctuating framerate, the isometric shmup stages, switching Wonder members being cumbersome, lack of clarity in certain aspects etc.) didn't hinder my overall enjoyment, since by the end of it all TW101's highs were significantly greater than its lows.

- P
ompadour
P
aragon
- Drawing the biggest fist I could (at the time) to punch
Wonder Blue
- The realization that I was in the middle of a
Punch-Out
homage over at the volcano stage
- The way the
parasite
boss fight ended once forced outside of
Volkken's body
- The birth of P
latinum
R
obo
- USING THE S
HIROGANE COMET
- PRESS A TO P
ROTECT EARTH
for the best QTE prompt of all-time
- And much, much more, including this quick nod:​

dafnxk.png

Kaeser, I also struggled with the game's mechanics at various points into my first playthrough and I still wouldn't call myself good at it, but watching those system breakdown videos really helped me understand the many multi-purpose nuances The Wonderful 101 has to offer. It 'just' takes practice with how differently this game is set up compared to most action games of its ilk, even if I admittedly did lose sight of what I was supposed to do at times thanks to how hectic / punishing TW101 can be even on Normal. Some of the attacks causing visual overload - especially the claws against particular enemies - certainly didn't help either, alongside the camera angles occasionally playing tricks on me... but it'll click eventually if you take the time to learn it and if you have patience. I'd definitely rank it higher than Metal Gear Rising (which mind you I had a blast with) by the way and I'm also looking forward to a Hard playthrough in the near future, save for a few select non-standard gameplay sections that'll undoubtedly remain unfun for me on said higher difficulty.

Keasar

Questions regarding The Wonderful 101:

Are there attacks that cant be blocked nor dodged? Like the Geth dragons sonic attack. Ive tried blocking and dodging but both have so far been ineffective despite the number of tries.

How many people do I need minimum in order to do a Unite Guts or Unite Spring? Cause I can see I have a full meter, but when I have lost some people in a enemy attack and try to dodge the next one, it doesnt respond.

Can I cancel out of a weapon animation, say the giant Geth Chainsaw, and dodge/block an enemy attack? If I make an attack with a chainsaw, it doesn't respond to dodge or blocks when the enemy is attacking.

What do I do in case all people are stunned and strewn about the arena? If only a partial amount are gone, I can do that Wonderline trick to pick them up, but what if all of them are gone? Is all there is to just run around and pick them up at that point?

Is the Unite Guts only effective during a certain timeframe? Even though the animation is still up?

When it comes to the Vorkken fights:

What is the general strategy? He sometimes spawns a minion that instantly initiates a spinning attack that can spread your people around and knock you about. He is so far hard as hell to spot before he starts his attack.

Can the boomerang be blocked or dodged? Ive tried running away but it sooner or later corners me. Jumping over it doesn't work either as it instantly turns around and follows me.

Is there a way to get a better perspective of things happening? Once I do get a Unite Guts working, I charge up a couple of Unite assists and start attacking him but before they are done he has prepared a new attack that I can't see due to all the effects going on from my attacks, so I dont know if I should dodge, block or just run away.

Are there attacks that cant be blocked nor dodged? Like the Geth dragons sonic attack. Ive tried blocking and dodging but both have so far been ineffective despite the number of tries.

How many people do I need minimum in order to do a Unite Guts or Unite Spring? Cause I can see I have a full meter, but when I have lost some people in a enemy attack and try to dodge the next one, it doesnt respond.

Can I cancel out of a weapon animation, say the giant Geth Chainsaw, and dodge/block an enemy attack? If I make an attack with a chainsaw, it doesn't respond to dodge or blocks when the enemy is attacking.

What do I do in case all people are stunned and strewn about the arena? If only a partial amount are gone, I can do that Wonderline trick to pick them up, but what if all of them are gone? Is all there is to just run around and pick them up at that point?

Is the Unite Guts only effective during a certain timeframe? Even though the animation is still up?

What is the general strategy? He sometimes spawns a minion that instantly initiates a spinning attack that can spread your people around and knock you about. He is so far hard as hell to spot before he starts his attack.

Can the boomerang be blocked or dodged? Ive tried running away but it sooner or later corners me. Jumping over it doesn't work either as it instantly turns around and follows me.

Is there a way to get a better perspective of things happening? Once I do get a Unite Guts working, I charge up a couple of Unite assists and start attacking him but before they are done he has prepared a new attack that I can't see due to all the effects going on from my attacks, so I dont know if I should dodge, block or just run away.
- It should always be one or the other, given how lenient Platinum was with the dodge's invincibility frames. I found the dragon's sonic waves a little tricky as well truthfully, but I always kind of panicked anyways whenever two of them blocked my path.

- A good rule of thumb for me was "if I can make (for instance) a Unite Hand, then I can use Unite Guts or Spring" since you can quickly whip it out and cancel it on the fly with A and Y respectively.

- Don't think you can cancel mid-animation with a dodge / Guts when wielding one of the power weapons, no. Maybe it'll be different if you try to use one of the Unite attacks, but I doubt it. Wiggle the left control stick if you want to drop it, in case you didn't know already.

- You could wait for them to return to you all at once (which does take a few seconds), or you could pick a few up first and then have an easier time with the Wonder Liner.

- I've only had Unite Guts not succesfully block something (when it should) if its animation was about to end. You'll get a feel for when that is if you're like me; I had a nasty habit of using Unite Guts way too far in advance. Otherwise, it doesn't block spikes, sharp weapons, flames / electricity or laser beams, for which you have different counter-measures to choose from.

- The Vorkken fights are a matter of responding appropriately, since you generally cannot simply charge into him blindly and be victorious through brute force. He (much like the majority of W101's enemies) requires an adequate level of defense in order to open him up. Not quite sure what causes the orange spinning attack myself (outside of prolonged offense I guess), but I know that if for instance he blocks one of your attacks with his own Unite Guts, then he usually follows up with a move of his own like for example Unite Sword Rising, if memory serves.

- Boomerang can be dodged or jumped over. Good window of opportunity to inflict some damage if you react to it soon enough.

- Don't 'spam' some of the particle-heavy Unite Attacks / Assists then if you're also staying nearby. Making one big weapon is acceptable too if you know it'll hit, like after blocking his Unite Punch or Hammer. Neither the zoomed-in or zoomed-out camera are perfect for the fight though, so the best you could do is keep an eye out for Vorkken's fire effect and safely use Assists from a distance if you can tag him with the lock-on.

You can dodge all attacks in the game. It's much easier with Hero Time, as when it activates it seems to give you a large invulnerability window, at least to the attack that you dodged initially. This includes the dragons' sonic attacks, but they're kind of hard to dodge because they come up so fast.

You need ten people in the team, and one bar of power. Indeed getting ten people should be your priority when you're knocked out, for precisely this reason; saving a couple bars when attacking is also a wise idea.

Yeah, enemy weapons are unwieldy like that; I avoid them for the most part. As mentioned, you can drop them by wiggling the analog.

Pick the closest few people to you; this should take less than a second when dashing. Then Wonder Liner the rest.

Unite Guts is effective for like the first 60-70% of the animation. There is indeed a part of the animation at the end where it does not protect you; take it as the "cooldown" period to prevent you from using it non-stop.

Yeah, that's Chugi. Fortunately he's stationary and has a small area, and doesn't use that attack too often, so it's a relatively minor threat.

Dodging it with Hero Time activated usually does the trick for me, for the aforementioned reason that it gives you a large window of invulnerability, plus the slowed down time gives you ample time to get physically away (you may need to dodge again if it's up for a long time). The cool thing with the boomerang is that it makes Vorkken completely vulnerable, since all of his troops but him are forming the boomerang. It's actually the time where you can rack up the most damage on him.

When in doubt, dodge. Again, the slow down gives you plenty of time to react to anything. I use the zoomed out view and it's usually good enough to cover the entire arena, but things do get a bit hectic sometimes.

Keasar

There, finally completed the game on Normal. Gonna put it away for a break.

The story did pick up after a while and got a lot more interesting (still don't like Wonder Pink). As for the gameplay, once my biggest questions regarding it were answered it got a lot more clearer, I still wouldn't say its better than Bayonetta since a lot of my earlier points still stands. I think its a lot messier and the low camera angle is still a pain. I'll probably replay it on Hard again and see where it goes at some point.

I gotta say though. All that pain and frustration, that fucking ending made it all worth it. :p

Andrew J.

I've been playing the original Bayonetta on 360, looking to beat it before 2 comes out. I'm close to the end of Chapter 6 now. Thoughts:

-Doing this first playthrough on Normal. I die a bunch and usually get Stone chapter prizes. Am I an unusually big scrub, or is this a pretty typical experience?

-I've heard that Grace and Glory are considered really annoying, but so far they're not so bad. Because they attack more or less constantly, you can dodge constantly and trigger Witch Time soon enough. They're certainly more fun to fight than Fairnesses or Fearlesses.

-I can beat most of the Alfheim missions (after a dozen or two tries, usually) except for the "Do X torture attacks" (can't build meter fast enough) and "Only Wicked Weaves do damage" (regular attacks that land break your combo, and they tend to close distance) types. Any advice?

Finishing up a platinum run in TW101. Thanks to Saur's video about the score system, I get Platinum Medals for Combo pretty consistently.
I've been playing the original Bayonetta on 360, looking to beat it before 2 comes out. I'm close to the end of Chapter 6 now. Thoughts:

-Doing this first playthrough on Normal. I die a bunch and usually get Stone chapter prizes. Am I an unusually big scrub, or is this a pretty typical experience?

-I've heard that Grace and Glory are considered really annoying, but so far they're not so bad. Because they attack more or less constantly, you can dodge constantly and trigger Witch Time soon enough. They're certainly more fun to fight than Fairnesses or Fearlesses.

-I can beat most of the Alfheim missions (after a dozen or two tries, usually) except for the "Do X torture attacks" (can't build meter fast enough) and "Only Wicked Weaves do damage" (regular attacks that land break your combo, and they tend to close distance) types. Any advice?
Sorry bro, you're a scrublord. You'll probably get better though, so it isn't that big a deal.

For the Torture Attack Alfheims, getting hit causes you to lose a large chunk of meter, so maybe work on that if you're getting hit a lot. PPPPK builds meter faster than most combos. If the problem you're having is that enemies are dying too easily, dodge out of combos before Bayonetta has a chance to get a Wicked Weave out. Taunting gets you meter, btw.

As for the Only Wicked Weave ones, keep in mind that Wicked Weaves have near infinite range. You don't have to be in an enemy's face to hit it with a Wicked Weave, just lock on to the enemy you wanna hit. PKP with the Shuraba(the sword) tends to work well, thanks to its wide area of effect.

Andrew J.

Starting Chapter 8 of Bayonetta. As if I needed more proof that precision platforming isn't Platinum's strong suit. The motorcycle part's cool, though. I'll go finish it when I can focus on it.

robotrock

Banned
Starting Chapter 8 of Bayonetta. As if I needed more proof that precision platforming isn't Platinum's strong suit. The motorcycle part's cool, though. I'll go finish it when I can focus on it.

Yo, I'm also playing through the game for the first time right now. 360 version. Got to Chapter 6 last night. Playing on Normal and game is kicking my ass. I've been getting Stone chapter awards every time since Chapter 3. I dunno what to tell you man but I'm a scrub too

Top Bottom