• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Beta Thread - Online as smooth as butter

You guys complaining about Kratos. Wait another few days. When people learn to evade and stay away he will get about 3 kills maybe less. By the way if you let someone build to a level 3 they deserve the chance to get multiple kills. I can get 6 kills with fat princesses level 2, and it is mainly because people don't jump and get out if the way. By the end of the last beta people made it very hard to track down and kill.

emb

I actually did get to try this out yesterday.

Radec seemed like he was really easy to use. Sweet Tooth and Kratos seemed comfortable too. Sly, Fat Princess and Parappa all seemed to have a significant learning curve. All of them seem like good characters though, so that's good.

The lack of a dash start up animation is really weird. The game seems focused around digital controls, which is fine... it just takes a while to get used to. Am I correct in saying there's no fast fall either? Another thing that bothered me is how so many attacks either leave characters right beside you or send them across the stage/to a wall. Again I guess it makes sense, just weird to get used to.

Above all though I'm pretty happy with it. Really impressed with how well made and fun it feels.

Ohnonono

Having a great time with this. Sly is so much fun to use. I love 3 Kratos matches cause most of them just group right up when you vanish and its not hard to get 2-3 kills out of Sly's level 1 super.

I actually did get to try this out yesterday.

Radec seemed like he was really easy to use. Sweet Tooth and Kratos seemed comfortable too. Sly, Fat Princess and Parappa all seemed to have a significant learning curve. All of them seem like good characters though, so that's good.

The lack of a dash start up animation is really weird. The game seems focused around digital controls, which is fine... it just takes a while to get used to. Am I correct in saying there's no fast fall either? Another thing that bothered me is how so many attacks either leave characters right beside you or send them across the stage/to a wall. Again I guess it makes sense, just weird to get used to.

Above all though I'm pretty happy with it. Really impressed with how well made and fun it feels.

I'd say one thing Fat P is good for beginners is that she is really easy to combo with and a master juggler. You generally don't want to approach FP by air. I actually ain't sure if any other char has a projectile that goes straight up (edit:actually Evil Cole has) and to top it off it doesn't stop FP from doing anything so you can shoot the flameball up to cover air and at the same time focus on the ground with normal attacks.

I'd say one thing Fat P is good for beginners is that she is really easy to combo with and a master juggler. You generally don't want to approach FP by air. I actually ain't sure if any other char has a projectile that goes straight up (edit:actually Evil Cole has) and to top it off it doesn't stop FP from doing anything so you can shoot the flameball up to cover air and at the same time focus on the ground with normal attacks.

The crazy thing is how all these characters are very deadly in the right hands. I have seen some great players with each character and trying to cope with them is awesome.

Having a great time with this. Sly is so much fun to use. I love 3 Kratos matches cause most of them just group right up when you vanish and its not hard to get 2-3 kills out of Sly's level 1 super.

NO! It's the opposite of fun, it's like Lycan (pre nerf) and Ursa on Dota, or Chunners in 3rd Strike.
That's why as soon as I see there's a Sly in the match, I'll focus him and only him. Actually, I'm really glad they changed the old "Happy to help", because if I hear one more time the old one, I swear I'll kill a puppy.

PS: F U Sly users. I'll hunt your souls.

Whenever I join a game it says "Connection lost with host" or something like that. Anyone else having this? I'm on the Vita beta on a UK PSN account.

Boring game is boring. Shameless knockoff of SSB, and they couldn't even get it right. There just isn't any depth to it (only super moves ring out an opponent?....c'mon...). As far as the BETA running smoothly, I've had no problems connecting to matches either. Wondering if the lack of score tracking during the match is a technical oversight, or intentional.

As if SSB was the first game in this genre.

Jhriad

Tried this yesterday but connection issues were rampant. At least half my games either had only three players on screen or had an error that killed the match. Not exactly incentive to purchase the game.

Synless

You guys complaining about Kratos. Wait another few days. When people learn to evade and stay away he will get about 3 kills maybe less. By the way if you let someone build to a level 3 they deserve the chance to get multiple kills. I can get 6 kills with fat princesses level 2, and it is mainly because people don't jump and get out if the way. By the end of the last beta people made it very hard to track down and kill.

Any way you swing it, Kratos is too overpowered. The amount of distance his attacks cover and how much AP he gets for them is absurd. You can easily get two lvl3 attacks and a couple lvl 1's in a single match. I can easily dominate a match playing as him.

Zephyrus

Banned
I can't believe people think this game has good online.

I can play just fine on any other game I own, yet this one doesn't allow me to join a single game

Any way you swing it, Kratos is too overpowered. The amount of distance his attacks cover and how much AP he gets for them is absurd. You can easily get two lvl3 attacks and a couple lvl 1's in a single match. I can easily dominate a match playing as him.

AP gain may be too fast but I was talking specifically about his level 3. But really it may be hard to say if you are gaining AP too fast or if the skill, or lack thereof, is allowing you to gain AP fast.

Not to brag but every time I have faced kratos and sometimes multiples they got only one level 3 at best.

I can play just fine on any other game I own, yet this one doesn't allow me to join a single game

Because it works for nearly everyone else that's why. Try posting your settings and router info on the official forum or even PM clockwork here. Majority of the people are plying smooth matches. Actually a lot less lag in this beta than previous ones.

Takao

Banned

That is still an improvement over SSBB's online, kekeke

Seriously though, it sounds like your internet is wonky. I can connect via WiFi on Vita in my bed, and traditionally I get a very weak single on my Vita while I'm in bed.

Tried this yesterday but connection issues were rampant. At least half my games either had only three players on screen or had an error that killed the match. Not exactly incentive to purchase the game.

You guys aren't alone, the previous betas worked flawlessly for me and now I get dq'd every match. Always lost connection to host.
On both PS3 and Vita =

darkwing

dang, the Vita online is the same as the PS3 version, smooth as butter

and the voice chat is on by default in the game? I could hear people lols

You guys aren't alone, the previous betas worked flawlessly for me and now I get dq'd every match. Always lost connection to host.
On both PS3 and Vita =

Hopefully they are working on a fix for you guys. I haven't had any issues but sympathize with those that do. Like I said try posting your settings here or on the official boards. Maybe there is a common thread between these issues.

Grokbu

I personally have problem with the online (I believe at least) a lot o my matches, but that might be because I might be thrown in with someone far away from me, or someone with bad connection.

And I wonder how this netcode works?

A Radec just did his level 3 and he kept shooting in an area where a Kratos player never even ran to, yet he got him.

I wonder if it's possible that the games can sort of "desynch" so that what you see on your screen isn't actually what happens? Or that the hit boxes can sort of get some delay or detach themselves from where the 3d models?

It wouldn't be weird if I'm having problems if I have a couple hundred ms to my oponents though. Would love to be able to see connection quality.

Synless

Works very good for me, tho I got a bug where me and pal chose Fat P and Sly and became Radec and ST in the game.
If that's on the Vita that has been an issue since the first beta. For some reason Fat P will change to a different character after a match starts every now and then.

Grokbu

If my observations are correct, if I choose Parappa and the game goes from searching for opponents to connecting and then to searching for opponents again, there's a huge risk that the game wants me to play Kratos.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Gave the Vita version a shot for the first time yesterday and this just isn't really my cup of tea. To be fair Smash Bros isn't either (unless I'm playing with the kids). I was bored after two matches.

Zephyrus

Banned
Hopefully they are working on a fix for you guys. I haven't had any issues but sympathize with those that do. Like I said try posting your settings here or on the official boards. Maybe there is a common thread between these issues.

I have no idea what my settings are.

I'm not really savvy on computer subjects.

arimanius

Just disable your mic by holding down the PS button. Then you won't ever have to worry about it.

Thank you! I played one game online and heard someone talking to their little sister. Immediately quit the game after the game ended(crashed) and tried to find out to turn the mic off. Couldn't find anything under settings.

Yeah, I'm surprised by this as well. This is easily the worst online experience I've had since the bugged build of Fat Princess.

Weird, I don't know man. For most people it works almost perfectly outside of a few disconnects and wonky matches. It's a weird dichotomy though, Online is smooth vs Online is the worst. lol

breakfuss

As if SSB was the first game in this genre.

As if that has anything to do with what I said (although your claim about SSB is dubious at best). So, sure, I'll concede that in some alternate reality this game isn't just a cheap knockoff. Doesn't change everything else that's wrong with it.

Jhriad

Weird, I don't know man. For most people it works almost perfectly outside of a few disconnects and wonky matches. It's a weird dichotomy though, Online is smooth vs Online is the worst. lol

It's strange because when it works, it works great. The biggest issue I kept running into was loading into a game and only three players (including myself) being shown. You could tell by the actions of one of the players there WAS a fourth player in the match because they were beating on someone, the character just wasn't being shown at all. It would even have the fourth player on the scoreboard at the end. Add in frequent host drops or other errors that end the match, one match where the game apparently decided to change all our character choices to a single character after hanging for a while, another hang at loading the level for so long that I got to watch Captain Qwark flex 7 or 8 times, etc.

TheMink

That is still an improvement over SSBB's online, kekeke

Seriously though, it sounds like your internet is wonky. I can connect via WiFi on Vita in my bed, and traditionally I get a very weak single on my Vita while I'm in bed.

Ive played flawless matches by tethering to my phone which is connected to 3G.
Dont really know why people have issues.

Jhriad

2249762752.png

I don't think it's my internet.

Ive played flawless matches by tethering to my phone which is connected to 3G.
Dont really know why people have issues.

Now this is phenomenal. Yea something is up in the settings somewhere for people. It's so weird that many have no issues or few and others are plagued by them. I even went to the official boards and there is one post with zero replies on the first page of posts regarding connection issues. Second page has a couple more posts but again only the OP has the issue. I don't understand it.

2249762752.png

I don't think it's my internet.

I never said it was someone's internet, but rather settings. Even that is a wild guess. The mink just said he can play tethered to a 3G phone so obviously speed isn't the issue here. But nice internet though.

kiyomi

It's strange because when it works, it works great. The biggest issue I kept running into was loading into a game and only three players (including myself) being shown. You could tell by the actions of one of the players there WAS a fourth player in the match because they were beating on someone, the character just wasn't being shown at all. It would even have the fourth player on the scoreboard at the end..
Ah yeah I was wondering about that, I could always see the 4th player turn up on the scoreboard at the end but never in the game. I'm not going mad then, thanks!

Grokbu

Now I'm not sure how this netcode works, but if one person in the match has a bad connection, it'll probably wonk up for the rest of the players (I assume). And then there's the fact that you play randoms, who knows how far away they are.

But still, I have discovered some weird things online, but I just wanted to throw this out there.

EDIT: Just saw this.
Found a new combo for Parappa that nets 140 ap.

circle, square, down+square, up+square(tap), just as you land up+square(hold), circle, square, square
Nice find. What's good about this one is that you get loads of AP, without having to travel far horizontally (which can cause problems because of stage hazards etc.).

SykoTech

Online definitely has connection issue and glitches, at least in the beta. That's for sure.

When people say it's good, they're mostly referring to how smooth it runs (hence the topic title). I haven't noticed any slowdown in any of the matches I've been in. It's very nice, especially coming after Brawl, where nearly every match was a slideshow.

J-Tier

As if that has anything to do with what I said (although your claim about SSB is dubious at best). So, sure, I'll concede that in some alternate reality this game isn't just a cheap knockoff. Doesn't change everything else that's wrong with it.

If your criticisms had less obvious personal bias, I would take you more seriously.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but if you go into 3x AP overtime, the match lags out. I experienced this at least 2, maybe 3 times last night. Every time. I know it's the beta, but it still gets annoying.

Top Bottom