• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Beta Thread - Online as smooth as butter

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
She killed everyone with her chicken pretty much every time.

Pretty surprising, in the fact that, from what I can tell, Chicken cannot attack in the air. So if you stay over ground level, it's pretty hard for it to kill anyone...

Mannn that's too bad you can only kill with supers. It seems to take a lot of strategy out of the game, and makes it just about spamming you're hardest hitting attack then retreating. Seems like a much worse risk/reward balance than smash...

Eh, I don't see how it takes strategy OUT the game. Just presents it in a different way. Smash is about getting opponents near edges of screen, after a bunch of hits, to KO them.

This game is about Beating opponents, to power YOURSELF up, so that you can kill them. Supers haves the same positional strat as Smash (They're super easy to avoid without setups / catching people unaware), and the strat of "do I go for a lvl 1, 2, or 3?" is introduced. There's a high amount of Risk / Reward, as missing a super removes ALL you killing power, until you get more meter.

Successfully baiting supers in this game is pretty fun. Successfully tricking an opponent into THINKING you'll super... only to super their evasive manuver a second later, is also fun. Missing a super, especially if playing a chara who can't build meter as well, is crushing. Strategically and morally.

I'd love to get to play Kill Limit already, rather than timed matches. Does seem like it'll express the strategic side of the game more.

Pretty surprising, in the fact that, from what I can tell, Chicken cannot attack in the air. So if you stay over ground level, it's pretty hard for it to kill anyone...
Chicken can attack in the air. It doesn't charge like on the ground but still kills on contact.

TripOpt55

I played a few matches and had fun. I only used Sly so far. I got two second places and a first place! I wish I was more excited for more of the characters in the beta. I will give them all a try though. Can't wait to try Jak and some of the characters in the full game though.

SmithnCo

Cool, thanks for the info! Feels a bit like a harder-to-use version of Parappa's lvl 2 in that regard...

It is, but the good thing is that it lasts longer. You can get people and then kill them again after they spawn, unlike Parappa's most of the time, which is nice.

Dantis

No, in many cases it isn't worth charging to level 3. Radec and Kratos have good ones, sure, but for characters like Parappa and FP it is better to use lower levels.

I'm sure there's more depth to it (Which I have no intention of exploring), but in the few games I played, it was definitely a valid tactic. Is there any reason to look deeper into the mechanics if it's not required?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It is, but the good thing is that it lasts longer. You can get people and then kill them again after they spawn, unlike Parappa's most of the time, which is nice.

*nod* I wish it had a bit more options in attacks, but maybe that'd be asking too much? It is, afterall, JUST a lvl 2. I'd love to be able to choose between air Dash vs air squeak, and the same on the ground. I keep expecting each of the 3 attack buttons to do something different with it...

I'm sure there's more depth to it (Which I have no intention of exploring), but in the few games I played, it was definitely a valid tactic. Is there any reason to look deeper into the mechanics if it's not required?

Surely, it'll be required as people get better at the game. All fighters are like that... braindead stuff rules in the beginning, but spamming it limits your knowledge of the games full systems. Once more people know how to fight and defend better, if you're still using scrubby tactics, you suddenly have no chance...

Yes because against better players you will get destroyed.

Edit: why am I wasting my breath....doh

God I love this game, finding better to stick with level one finishers instead of trying to build up. Only thing I hate is when an entire groupe is using Radec to spam.

people talking about tiers before the game is even out.

Need I mention marvel vs capcom 3?

Also like all fighters, there is depth and it does matter because the competition will take advantage of it.

You don't need to do fancy combos in marvel3, just use XF3 and sentinel. You can will all the arcade battles you want.

Nothing more satisfying than destroying 2 radecs talking trash before the match. Ain't that right TimeEffect? Whoever felt like they can spam a single move and win got served tonight. We were going at Radecs hard.

I feel dirty about using Fat Princess. But her level 3 is a travesty. Saw a Radec just roll constantly and not get killed.

Kurod

Banned
My best match yet
Ni6we.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality image. I was playing on PS3 so I had to snag a quick shot with my phone.

Odd. I've been playing 2v2a with my sister earlier just as you guys did, me on Vita and her on PS3 and everything worked like a charm.

I've played around 15 matches and always felt like the netcode was very stable and smooth, didn't have any problems in any of the matches, except for someone disconnecting in 2 or 3 matches.

hah, one of the times it happened to us was actually the first time I got him to try the game out with me.

He was entirely confused since there was only me and him up on the big TV and he was asking what he's supposed to do and I just said "beat up the red guys to build your meter than use your super!" as I was staring at my Vita screen and focused on beating op people. It wasn't until after the match ended that I looked up on the TV and saw that only me and him were there and I just burst out laughing saying "Ohhh wow, so you really were doing nothing! Hahahah wow".

Ahh I'm still as good as I was in the closed beta.
Btw what is the number that is in a circle on every character? Is it the kill count or something?

Nothing more satisfying than destroying 2 radecs talking trash before the match. Ain't that right TimeEffect? Whoever felt like they can spam a single move and win got served tonight. We were going at Radecs hard.

I feel dirty about using Fat Princess. But her level 3 is a travesty. Saw a Radec just roll constantly and not get killed.

Haha yeah man. Loved how they went silent.

Yeah, her Super 3 is god-awful. I dont like the concept much at all to begin with.

You know what I love? Radec Sniper Rifle spam. I LOVE when people stay across the stage and spam it. Then I block/evade every single shot, run up to them and beat the shit out of them.

Dicks.

EDIT: okay, apparently this is something of a common conversation piece in this thread. Who is everybody using so far? Personally, I'm using Radec (having never played Killzone) because of the amount of projectiles he has. I'm really hating Sweet Tooth, regardless of how badass I think his voice is.

Sorry if this has already been posted or asked a lot, the thread is long so I can't go through every page.

Does anyone else have a problem where a 4th player isn't appearing but is actually in the game? Recently almost every game I play only shows 3 players (including myself), but the other players are hitting the air a lot, and if I press start I can see mute options for 3 other players. Also, when the match ends, I can finally see them and their score.

I've played 4 matches so far this morning and every match has been glitched like this...

Sorry if this has already been posted or asked a lot, the thread is long so I can't go through every page.

Does anyone else have a problem where a 4th player isn't appearing but is actually in the game? Recently almost every game I play only shows 3 players (including myself), but the other players are hitting the air a lot, and if I press start I can see mute options for 3 other players. Also, when the match ends, I can finally see them and their score.

I've played 4 matches so far this morning and every match has been glitched like this...

I've had that happen once or twice. Sucks for them.

Parappa. Parappa is the business.

Except for the tutorial, he's the only character I haven't played as yet. I think I'll go online and use him right now.

You know what I love? Radec Sniper Rifle spam. I LOVE when people stay across the stage and spam it. Then I block/evade every single shot, run up to them and beat the shit out of them.

Dicks.

EDIT: okay, apparently this is something of a common conversation piece in this thread. Who is everybody using so far? Personally, I'm using Radec (having never played Killzone) because of the amount of projectiles he has. I'm really hating Sweet Tooth, regardless of how badass I think his voice is.

I stayed away from ST a lot but I really love him now. Even though Kratos is easier to do some nice combos with, I find it so much more challenging and rewarding to use ST's Super 1.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I've had the most success with Sly Cooper. Still have to try Fat Princess and Parappa though.

Surprisingly fun game. This might be a day 1 purchase.

What in the fuck. Everytime I try to join a match it loads up, does Character Intros then immediately says Lost Connection to Host. On Vita and PS3 btw. Wtf.

This just started happening anybody else?

Ok, I really love the coloured deaths and music for Super 3's, something that I recall Gaffers asking for.

I REALLY hope for the final build:

-We have MUCH improved player icons for the HUD. Right now they are too small and too ugly. SSB really does this well, match the icons with the big super numbers
-Coloured AP Bars. It just makes so much more sense.
-A better win screen. Winners should have a bigger portion of the screen with like gold surrounding their screen. Make the win feel glorious
-Overtime music to match the excitement (as well as immediate OT as opposed to "Time up!"......."Overtime!" which they oddly added from the private beta)
-Ranks for online mode as well as username displayed on intros

Sponge

Banned
So I just got in a match where two people didn't spawn and it was just me and someone playing as Kratos.

We ended up dancing the whole match, hilarious.

J-Tier

Ok, I really love the coloured deaths and music for Super 3's, something that I recall Gaffers asking for.

I REALLY hope for the final build:

-We have MUCH improved player icons for the HUD. Right now they are too small and too ugly. SSB really does this well, match the icons with the big super numbers
-Coloured AP Bars. It just makes so much more sense.
-A better win screen. Winners should have a bigger portion of the screen with like gold surrounding their screen. Make the win feel glorious
-Overtime music to match the excitement (as well as immediate OT as opposed to "Time up!"......."Overtime!" which they oddly added from the private beta)
-Ranks for online mode as well as username displayed on intros

I'm cool with all this. Except for colored AP bars haha, would look tacky in my opinion.

So I just got in a match where two people didn't spawn and it was just me and someone playing as Kratos.

We ended up dancing the whole match, hilarious.

Haha, I did that before too. I love trying to dance with Parappa. Most just attack, others reciprocate. <3

I'm cool with all this. Except for colored AP bars haha, would look tacky in my opinion.

Figured someone would think that, I dont mind more colour :p

am i the only one who "loses" their characters in 2v2?

whenever there would be 2 kratos-es, i would eventually confuse my kratos with the other. -,-

this never happened in smash. so i wonder whats causing this confusion.

SSReborn

am i the only one who "loses" their characters in 2v2?

whenever there would be 2 kratos-es, i would eventually confuse my kratos with the other. -,-

this never happened in smash. so i wonder whats causing this confusion.

Nope happens to me as well. Its because the Smash characters had more distinct colour differences when you played 2 v 2's. Also because of how detailed the backgrounds are in certain stages the characters don't stand out as much as they do in Smash. I think this will be a problem mostly for the beta however seeing some of the unlockable costumes and alt colours the final product should be better.

Sorry TimeEffect for bailing on ya...again. lol

We were doing really well though. 2 vs 2 is crack. This beta is crack. I gotta be careful not to play this too much so these characters and maps won't get worn out by the time full release comes around.....but I can't. I still need to create more combos, and find situations to use certain things.

Nope happens to me as well. Its because the Smash characters had more distinct colour differences when you played 2 v 2's. Also because of how detailed the backgrounds are in certain stages the characters don't stand out as much as they do in Smash. I think this will be a problem mostly for the beta however seeing some of the unlockable costumes and alt colours the final product should be better.

ah. makes sense. :p hard to distinguish the white/blue and white/red kratos.

hopefully itll be easier in the final build! game is great so far.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think I just fought against PSY**K and whoever is his partner.

Edited: Sorry about double post in other thread because I just realized that I posted in wrong thread.

SSReborn

These are the things I would want to make it into the final build

- Easier way to mute people
- For people who have full screen specials the player icons shouldn't disappear
- Fix for losing track of your characters in 2 v 2 or mistaking your partner for the enemy(doesn't happen as much in free for all as before so thats good)
- Level 3 themes need to be kicked up a notch
- Characters need to talk more (They are already working on this)
- When people leave the game or disconnect they need to automatically be killed and disappear from the game entirely(I'm almost certain they'll have a fix for this)
- Way to turn off the announcer can get annoying for some
- More options for customization of controls for instance give me the option to my my grab button square and x together (A person who plays fighting games may be more comfortable with that) If the select button ends up being unused in the final build allow me to put my taunt on that

Top Bottom