• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Beta Thread - Online as smooth as butter

Robertto

Neo Member
playing to demo on vita, i think will buy this now. surprised how smooth the online is on the vita, my best vita online experience to date. still though i think this game would go to another level if they added the SSB ring out system. it just feels like its lacking something, but overall better than i thought it would be.

These are the things I would want to make it into the final build

- Fix for losing track of your characters in 2 v 2 or mistaking your partner for the enemy(doesn't happen as much in free for all as before so thats good)
- Level 3 themes need to be kicked up a notch
- Characters need to talk more (They are already working on this)
- When people leave the game or disconnect they need to automatically be killed and disappear from the game entirely(I'm almost certain they'll have a fix for this)
- Way to turn off the announcer can get annoying for some
- More options for customization of controls for instance give me the option to my my grab button square and x together (A person who plays fighting games may be more comfortable with that) If the select button ends up being unused in the final build allow me to put my taunt on that

Agreed, it always seems like they are adding steps in, but need to make the final stretch. I am almost certain player indicators are supposed to be faded for non-local players (which would definitely make spotting easier).

Like you said, in the final game with 20 characters + alt skins, it will be a lot less prevalent. But alt colours really aren't as prevalent as they should be, Radecs' alts being a prime example. Why can't Radec's colours be Black, White, Red, and like Yellow? Sure, he'd look like a Power ranger, but his first alt is like his default.

There's no reason that they can't even do something like different shades of the same colour for the same team. If I want to play a team of 2 Parappa's, the indicators should at least be red and like orange. Lots of ways they can fix this problem.

Right now my issue is presentation. Bigger, better HUD avatars, better win screens, more dramatic theme song (Final Boss music is perfect), kicking up super 3's and OT's with epic music, etc.

Really, I'm sold as fuck, but I just want them to show off.

Ran rp

I think I just fought against PSY**K and whoever is his partner.

Edited: Sorry about double post in other thread because I just realized that I posted in wrong thread.

I'm not even playing, lol.

Also, I think I have the most often butchered username on GAF, hahah.

Is the LA event going to be covered by the media, can whoever is going take video please?

I hope for the open beta, Superbot gives us stock mode, since apparently, stock + 2v2 is the ultimate fun you can have according to Seth

Edgeward

Tried it today and online went well except for one game where I got DC'd early. Fun times. Been using PaRappa and getting to know better his range and go to moves, which seems to be essentially dive kicking and mic toss because of his short range with everything else. But PaRappa is my favorite character so I will persevere and figure him out.

SSReborn

Agreed, it always seems like they are adding steps in, but need to make the final stretch. I am almost certain player indicators are supposed to be faded for non-local players (which would definitely make spotting easier).

Like you said, in the final game with 20 characters + alt skins, it will be a lot less prevalent. But alt colours really aren't as prevalent as they should be, Radecs' alts being a prime example. Why can't Radec's colours be Black, White, Red, and like Yellow? Sure, he'd look like a Power ranger, but his first alt is like his default.

There's no reason that they can't even do something like different shades of the same colour for the same team. If I want to play a team of 2 Parappa's, the indicators should at least be red and like orange. Lots of ways they can fix this problem.

Right now my issue is presentation. Bigger, better HUD avatars, better win screens, more dramatic theme song (Final Boss music is perfect), kicking up super 3's and OT's with epic music, etc.

I think the win screens are good (unless your talking about the stats part of it and layout) I think the reason they are so plain is because the game has unlockable back panels for your characters kinda of like Tekken Tag Tournament 2 does.

gsm_169_tekken_tag_tournament_2_multi_060612_angel_wins_640.jpg

gaming_tekken_tag_2_tournament_4.jpg

So the Playstation van came to campus about a week ago and this was one of the games that they brought.

I couldn't really get into it like I do Smash. The fighting felt incohesive and distant a lot of the times. Put simply, the moves didn't work the way I expected them to, even after using them in multiple rounds.

That's not to say that I didn't have some enjoyment with the game. After playing a couple matches, I felt pretty comfortable with Dante and Ratchet. Dante's combo based gameplay was a lot of fun to figure out.

I ended up just sticking with his level 1 most of the time and won most of the matches I played (except if somebody chose Sly). Seriously though, Sly seems to build meter exponentially and his lvl. 1 seems incredibly good at low levels of play.

I think the win screens are good (unless your talking about the stats part of it and layout) I think the reason they are so plain is because the game has unlockable back panels for your characters kinda of like Tekken Tag Tournament 2 does.

^ See now that is very cool. Definitely hoping this is the case, I love the crapload of unlockables. I also think Sly's taunt became an unlockable, which is great, since that taunt is worth unlocking lol.
By the way, Sly is quickly becoming my go-to character after avoiding him for so long. Maybe Ill even master Fat P.

I still think the win screens need to outline the winners better though, and the best way to do that is to supersize the winner screen, and getting rid of the very plain "1" and "2" icons they put. It's just not climatic or celebratory.

Sly seems to build meter exponentially

Yeah I noticed this. I never noticed how fast he built AP in the other builds, but I think they buffed his AP gain.

SSReborn

So the Playstation van came to campus about a week ago and this was one of the games that they brought.

I couldn't really get into it like I do Smash. The fighting felt incohesive and distant a lot of the times. Put simply, the moves didn't work the way I expected them to, even after using them in multiple rounds.

That's not to say that I didn't have some enjoyment with the game. After playing a couple matches, I felt pretty comfortable with Dante and Ratchet. Dante's combo based gameplay was a lot of fun to figure out.

I ended up just sticking with his level 1 most of the time and won most of the matches I played (except if somebody chose Sly). Seriously though, Sly seems to build meter exponentially and his lvl. 1 seems incredibly good at low levels of play.

The gameplay is different then Smash overall so thinking it will be like Smash kind of hampers you. It has a learning curve kind of similar to a fighting game where you need to learn each characters moves and the situation in which they should be used. It also has different enemy states like fighting games stuns, wall bounce, crumple etc. Its also a lot more combo based then Smash is and you need to learn and implement different combo's to gain AP fast. It really isn't a game that will grab you with one or two playthroughs it really becomes good however when you learn each character, have a couple go to combos etc. The second part of this game (the metagame) is the actual landing and dodging supers aspect which again, you need to learn the various supers and different ways to dodge them using the dodge roll or your normals.

Also Sly was really overpowered in the older builds he's not nearly that good anymore he much more balanced.

The gameplay is different then Smash overall so thinking it will be like Smash kind of hampers you. It has a learning curve kind of similar to a fighting game where you need to learn each characters moves and the situation in which they should be used. It also has different enemy states like fighting games stuns, wall bounce, crumple etc. Its also a lot more combo based then Smash is and you need to learn and implement different combo's to gain AP fast. It really isn't a game that will grab you with one or two playthroughs it really becomes good however when you learn each character, have a couple go to combos etc. The second part of this game (the metagame) is the actual landing and dodging supers aspect which again, you need to learn the various supers and different ways to dodge them using the dodge roll or your normals.

Also Sly was really overpowered in the older builds he's not nearly that good anymore he much more balanced.

I never came into it with the mindset that it was like Smash to be honest. Everyone else I was playing against was quick to make the comparison, but they feel worlds apart. My main issue is how weak hits feel in this game.

When attacking, it never felt like I was hitting anything solid if that makes any sense. This was especially true with projectiles.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
PSY・S;43328229 said:
I'm not even playing, lol.

Also, I think I have the most often butchered username on GAF, hahah.

Ah, it must be different person. Same here, people kept referenced me as IntelliHealth, until they had a meltdown in Marvel thread that I pointed it out that it's HEATH.

I stayed away from ST a lot but I really love him now. Even though Kratos is easier to do some nice combos with, I find it so much more challenging and rewarding to use ST's Super 1.

Me and a friend of mine were using dual characters (two Parappas, two Radecs, two Kratoseseses, etc.) and we eventually chose Sweet Tooth. Ugh. I don't know how you do it; he is nearly impossible to use.

KiNeSiS

Banned
playing to demo on vita, i think will buy this now. surprised how smooth the online is on the vita, my best vita online experience to date. still though i think this game would go to another level if they added the SSB ring out system. it just feels like its lacking something, but overall better than i thought it would be.

I disagree this game has a way better battle system from jump to end.
It's nice to actually have combos & specials can stack double deaths, for example Sweet Tooth's lvl 1 big boot. I've already launched the recipient character into 2 others for 3 deaths in a 4 on 4 battle something like that is not possible in smash bros.

SSReborn

I never came into it with the mindset that it was like Smash to be honest. Everyone else I was playing against was quick to make the comparison, but they feel worlds apart. My main issue is how weak hits feel in this game.

When attacking, it never felt like I was hitting anything solid if that makes any sense. This was especially true with projectiles.

Ahh well it can also depend on the build you were playing on (which is the one they used for their campus tour thing) I remember hearing that complaint a lot in the first beta build but haven't heard it at all really in this one. My best suggestion would be to play the beta as its the most up to date build we have access too.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Me and a friend of mine were using dual characters (two Parappas, two Radecs, two Kratoseseses, etc.) and we eventually chose Sweet Tooth. Ugh. I don't know how you do it; he is nearly impossible to use.

Sweet Tooth is the best. If you want to see for yourself face me.

MikeCisThaILLest

whitehawk

Banned
They need to nerf that Killzone character. Everytime someone plays as him, they stand at the edge of the map and keep shooting. It gets them to lvl 3 very fast. Very annoying. It should be like in Smash bros where bullets from guns/lasers (fox/falco) disappear after a certain distance.

I also wish the terrain didn't change so much throughout the game.

Noi

They need to nerf that Killzone character. Everytime someone plays as him, they stand at the edge of the map and keep shooting. It gets them to lvl 3 very fast. Very annoying. It should be like in Smash bros where bullets from guns/lasers (fox/falco) disappear after a certain distance.

I missed this.

Block. Stop standing in his line of sight. If a Radec is dominating from just using the rifle, you're not doing a good job of not letting him do so. EVERY character has something to counter Radec with.

Radec's entire moveset is built around mid-long range zoning with an emphasis on keeping you away, with the rifle being his only full screen move. Most Radecs don't bother covering the space in front of them, so even just jumping towards them and doing Sweet Tooth/Fat Princess' butt stomps are free AP against most rifle spammers.

web01

Not a fan of using R2 to kill people.

They should have just ripped of smash bros completely with the percentage damages and ring out ko.

This system is inferior and less exciting as you just get killed without even noticing leaving you wondering wtf just happened.

Synless

After playing this version of the beta for about four hours today with a friend of mine we decided a few things to be true in 2v2 matches.

1) Kratos is overpowered and too god tier for his own good. Each lvl. 3 special gets no less than 4 kills and his AP bar builds up too fast. Oh you think you can hide on one side of the screen and I can't get you? Hit O and a locked on death projectile destroys you. I can get at least two lvl 3's in one match, as well as several lvl. 1 kills.

2) Radec players are still a piece of shit. Playing against two Radecs in one match who do nothing but spam snipe shots is the most irritating thing ever. Don't tell me I'm not good enough and it's not an issue, because I am decent at this game, and it is an issue. Also, like Kratos, cheap ass players can achieve lvl 3 easily and get no less than 4 kills with it, as well as getting a few level 2's.

3) Parappa is the fucking shit. Very balanced, very technical character who takes a bit of skill to be good with. I don't have too much to say about him other than his lvl 3 is absolutely worthless in 2v2 matches.

leroidys

After playing this version of the beta for about four hours today with a friend of mine we decided a few things to be true in 2v2 matches.

1) Kratos is overpowered and too god tier for his own good. Each lvl. 3 special gets no less than 4 kills and his AP bar builds up too fast. Oh you think you can hide on one side of the screen and I can't get you? Hit O and a locked on death projectile destroys you. I can get at least two lvl 3's in one match, as well as several lvl. 1 kills.

2) Radec players are still a piece of shit. Playing against two Radecs in one match who do nothing but spam snipe shots is the most irritating thing ever. Don't tell me I'm not good enough and it's not an issue, because I am decent at this game, and it is an issue. Also, like Kratos, cheap ass players can achieve lvl 3 easily and get no less than 4 kills with it, as well as getting a few level 2's.

3) Parappa is the fucking shit. Very balanced, very technical character who takes a bit of skill to be good with. I don't have too much to say about him other than his lvl 3 is absolutely worthless in 2v2 matches.

Agree on all points. 2 Radecs on hades is so fucking annoying.

TripOpt55

Glad to see some people in here liking this. All my friends think its stinks :( I am having fun with it though :) Really excited to try some more of the characters in the full game. The beta selection aren't really any of my favorite characters except for Sly. I also tried Kratos and Radec though. Going to try the others tomorrow.

1) Agree. Kratos builds AP too quick.

2)Radec snipes seem fine. Its just messed up because these maps are straight plains for long durations. Block, dodge, air dodge, and double jump is ur best friend against snipespammers.

3)Parappa!

Im having fun with this, but ive been getting quite a few dropped matches. So far my main is Radec. Oddly enough im at my best with him in mid-close range fights

Synless

1) Agree. Kratos builds AP too quick.

2)Radec snipes seem fine. Its just messed up because these maps are straight plains for long durations. Block, dodge, air dodge, and double jump is ur best friend against snipespammers.

3)Parappa!

Im having fun with this, but ive been getting quite a few dropped matches. So far my main is Radec. Oddly enough im at my best with him in mid-close range fights

You see, that's the thing. I wasn't losing to these people and I think Radec is a functional and exceptional character when people don't use shit tactics to score kills. I understand that dodging and blocking to get past that shit is what I have to do, my point is I shouldn't have to. They need to really nerf the amount of AP gained by that attack or add some type of cool down so that it will force these types of players to play correctly. On the Hades stage, if one Radec player sits on a platform and the other on the main level, it gets pretty irritating to play against. It was like this in the old beta and it doesn't look like it has changed.

You see, that's the thing. I wasn't losing to these people and I think Radec is a functional and exceptional character when people don't use shit tactics to score kills. I understand that dodging and blocking to get past that shit is what I have to do, my point is I shouldn't have to. They need to really nerf the amount of AP gained by that attack or add some type of cool down so that it will force these types of players to play correctly. On the Hades stage, if one Radec player sits on a platform and the other on the main level, it gets pretty irritating to play against. It was like this in the old beta and it doesn't look like it has changed.

I can agree with this. It could definitely use a balance with either some cooldown or just lower AP gain or reduce that knockback downtime.

Great post. I couldnt help but approach this like Smash, but after giving it some time, the game definitely shows itself as an entity of its own.

SSReborn

Oh man I wish you guys were in the first beta so you could have experienced Sly then you would have seen a really OP character (everyone agreed on this).

Kratos may seem like he gains a ton of AP really quickly but it comes down to the fact that you may play very well with him. If I could describe him he would be a character that has really good acceleration you can become good with him in a very fast amount of time even in the chaoticness of free for all, 2 v 2 you don't really need to bring him into training mode. Other characters however don't have as obvious of combos meaning you need to experiment more and that's hard for people to do in a free for all 2 v 2 setting. In previous beta's by the tail end of them people became much better with other characters (Parappa and Fat Princess come to mind) and they started to gain a lot of AP in a short amount of time too.

His Super 3 is actually much easier to dodge then others I'd put it right under Sweet Tooth's (probably the easiest) in that regard as its predictable. You have the square attack that does the 3 sword swings. The triangle which has him thrust the sword in the ground and swing it upwards and circle that does the projectile blast. I usually time my jumps so that I jump straight over all these. Also the projectile doesn't track the enemy player it goes completely straight(from when it leaves his sword it doesn't turn in the air or anything like that) The best way to dodge it is by jumping waiting till he shoots it and then double jump when its really close to you. I never really try to dodge roll any of his moves.

Dr.Hadji

Ha, double troll on PSA and Smash!! Though, these Smash comparisons are fairly interesting. Everything you described here is in Smash as well. Kind of surprising a series can be out for so long and be so popular and still have many misunderstandings. I anticipate more strange comparisons when the reviews start droppin.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Is the LA event going to be covered by the media, can whoever is going take video please?

I hope for the open beta, Superbot gives us stock mode, since apparently, stock + 2v2 is the ultimate fun you can have according to Seth

Yeah I was thinking while I was playing that stock mode would be significantly better.

kiyomi

Played a few games on the PS3 last night, and a few this morning on the Vita.

Gotta say I'm preferring the Vita version here. Smooth as silk and just 'works' for whatever reason.

Only thing is - am I right in saying the Vita version defaults to voice chat? I had a microphone next to my name in one match which I only realised at the end. By tapping it I could get rid of it, but were people hearing my grunts of failure during the match? lol. I'd prefer if that was more of an opt-in than opt-out.

breakfuss

Boring game is boring. Shameless knockoff of SSB, and they couldn't even get it right. There just isn't any depth to it (only super moves ring out an opponent?....c'mon...). As far as the BETA running smoothly, I've had no problems connecting to matches either. Wondering if the lack of score tracking during the match is a technical oversight, or intentional.

evolution

Loving the beta so far. This game will shine in 2v2 stock matches. I wish the tutorial was available for all the characters though. It's kind of hard to learn combos on the fly

Jellzy

Neo Member
Only thing is - am I right in saying the Vita version defaults to voice chat? I had a microphone next to my name in one match which I only realised at the end. By tapping it I could get rid of it, but were people hearing my grunts of failure during the match? lol. I'd prefer if that was more of an opt-in than opt-out.

It may be the same as LBP and be on by default. Hold down your finger on the touch screen and disable it from the in-game system menu.

Tsunamo

From memory the last beta allowed you to turn it off, so it might just be for a public beta, and you might not have to have it on in the proper game. It would be alot better if it was optional to have on.
Wondering if the lack of score tracking during the match is a technical oversight, or intentional.
It's intentional.

SSReborn

Boring game is boring. Shameless knockoff of SSB, and they couldn't even get it right. There just isn't any depth to it (only super moves ring out an opponent?....c'mon...). As far as the BETA running smoothly, I've had no problems connecting to matches either. Wondering if the lack of score tracking during the match is a technical oversight, or intentional.

Its for Timed Modes if you play SSB in Timed its exactly the same. Sorry the game isn't your cup of tea.

SSReborn

Ha, double troll on PSA and Smash!! Though, these Smash comparisons are fairly interesting. Everything you described here is in Smash as well. Kind of surprising a series can be out for so long and be so popular and still have many misunderstandings. I anticipate more strange comparisons when the reviews start droppin.

When I said fighting game I meant a traditional fighting game so there was no trolling intended.

I also assume your implying that I don't know things such as stuns, countering etc. exist in the Smash Bros or that there were combo's that you could pull off in melee. Regardless I'm going to clarify what I said. At a barebones (very low level of play) PSABR is more combo oriented the SSB. Smash Bros is more focused on the single attacks hence the name "Smash". The "Smash" attacks are essential to the gameplay this on the otherhand has nothing like that, for you to be successful in this game you need to learn a couple combos. There is an emphasis on learning combo's to gain AP fast (there is an AP threshold that if you hit, your opponents get knocked out of your combo in an invincibility state but you get an AP bonus). There is even a trials mode for character so that you can learn combos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl7BCNa3dns

Also a reason why I emphasised needing to learn the moveset is because this game lacks tilt attacks or single strikes on the A button. If I'm a casual and pick any character I know that I have those things to fall back on which isn't the case is PSABR.

Not saying that one is better then the other just highlights some differences on a bare minimum level. I also don't know if you've play the game or not or have even given it a fair shake but maybe if you did you would understand what I meant with my initial post.

Kurod

Banned
Found a new combo for Parappa that nets 140 ap.

circle, square, down+square, up+square(tap), just as you land up+square(hold), circle, square, square

shink

Just had the worst match. Me, Fatty P, against three Kratos. They fill AP so quickly.
Went into overtime and then the host rage quits. Awesome.

So I just spent a little while with the beta, immediately found the game pretty dang fun. I am absolutely terrible at it, I feel like I'm basically just mashing right now, but it's quite fun even when just mashing. My PS3 is wired, but online seems really smooth, most of the accents I could hear were from people all over the world and as far as I could tell I didn't encounter any lag.

Had a go with every character, I'm not sure who I like over anyone else, I probably did the best with Sly and Fat Princess.

Downloading the Vita beta at the moment and will give it a go later, I'll be interested to see how the game performs on a wireless connection.

Where other games have attempted to do the whole Smash Bros thing I haven't really enjoyed them (that TMNT game springs to mind), but this seems pretty damn great. Nice to have another of this sort of game of what looks to be high quality.

Top Bottom