• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

SmithnCo

Sackboy: Reduce Super 3, or Debubble upon respawn (obvious)
Sir Dan: Increase AoE, reduce kill time, or increase AP to Sackboy's level (currently too weak)
Fat Princess: She needs like double the attack rate for her level 3 (abysmal super)
Drake: I feel like his Super 3 is a bit on the short side, but Im not too sure
Sweet Tooth: Greatly increase AoE? Have a blast beam like Sir Dan?

What do you guys think?

I think's Drake's is fine, if it was longer it would be akin to Sackboy's, too long. ST needs a better level 2.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I think a lot of it is that people need to learn to play more defensively when it comes to certain people.

When I play with people online, and against a Kratos: Nobody ever throws or uses items. Let me repeat that: Nobody ever throws or uses items. Those things are put into the game for a reason.

Whenever I see a Kratos or anyone obnoxiously spamming to reach level 3, you can bet your ass that I will be using every defensive (and offensive) technique in my catalog to drain them of AP. I will throw you. I will use items to drain AP. I will try and kill you, if anything, just to slow down your progress towards your level while you're respawning.

There are some genuinely good and beastly Kratos players I've encountered, but those guys had skills, and knew how to work is moveset. Then there are the spammers. They are no fun to fight against, sure, but part of the enjoyment for me has become keeping them from getting away with their obvious attempts at exploiting the game.

The real frustration with dealing with Kratos and Radec spammers, are the other players in an FFA that didn't get the memo, and proceed to attack the AFK guy, or the guy who's nowhere near his level 1, let alone a level 2 or 3, while Kratos and Radec are racking up the AP.

One of the more amusing things I experienced in the game was in the beta, and there was a pesky Radec spammer that I just would not ease up on. After the match, one of the other guys in the match sent me a PM and was like, "thanks for also handling that Radec spammer!" Lol.

When other players are also dealing with spammers, the experience can become that much more enjoyable. It's almost like a shaky alliance you form with the other combatants. It almost doesn't even matter if you win, as long as that fucking spammer doesn't. Lol.

cyborg009

Banned
Sir Dan: Increase AoE, reduce kill time, or increase AP to Sackboy's level (currently too weak)
Fat Princess: She needs like double the attack rate for her level 3 (abysmal super)

What do you guys think?

Buff back his shoulder Bash like it was before the beta too...

B.O.O.M

What do you guys think?

I disagree about Drake and have mixed feelings about Fatty P's lvl3. Others I agree on

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Sweet Tooth's Level 2 needs the ability to be able to manually detonate it, kind of like Drake's Level 1 (where you have to press the R button again to make the tank explode).

Give it a decent AOE when it does explode, and I think that would make it just that much more effective. Maybe not the AOE of Toro's level 2, but perhaps somewhere between the AOE of Drake's Level 1, and Toro's Level 2.

Or can you manually explode it already, and I just didn't know that?

EDIT: Just checked, you can't manually explode it. It would be so useful if you could.

SSReborn

Sweet Tooth's Level 2 needs the ability to be able to manually detonate it, kind of like Drake's Level 1 (where you have to press the R button again to make the tank explode).

Give it a decent AOE when it does explode, and I think that would make it just that much more effective. Maybe not the AOE of Toro's level 2, but perhaps somewhere between the AOE of Drake's Level 1, and Toro's Level 2.

Or can you manually explode it already, and I just didn't know that?

EDIT: Just checked, you can't manually explode it. It would be so useful if you could.

You can you use the face buttons not R2

I think a lot of it is that people need to learn to play more defensively when it comes to certain people.

The real frustration with dealing with Kratos and Radec spammers, are the other players in an FFA that didn't get the memo, and proceed to attack the AFK guy, or the guy who's nowhere near his level 1, let alone a level 2 or 3, while Kratos and Radec are racking up the AP.

One of the more amusing things I experienced in the game was in the beta, and there was a pesky Radec spammer that I just would not ease up on. After the match, one of the other guys in the match sent me a PM and was like, "thanks for also handling that Radec spammer!" Lol.

When other players are also dealing with spammers, the experience can become that much more enjoyable. It's almost like a shaky alliance you form with the other combatants. It almost doesn't even matter if you win, as long as that fucking spammer doesn't. Lol.

I do all that man. I'm the one using items, and timing throws. But in a FFA situation, that's not easy. It's not even that I have to be around for shit to go Kratos' way.

But outside of that, it still doesn't change the fact that if Kratos had a more mindful playstyle, it would benefit everyone. He is still great as hell, with such a beautiful diversity of moves, but imagine if people actually had to think with him. It'd make the meta game more fun, instead of just having the game revolve around him.

Also, some of the spammers do use items, or have partners that do, and I dont think that Kratos' cop out should be something outside of our own combat capabilities, especially something that is based on chance like item pick ups

I've fought against some good Kratos players, but by and large, they also rely on the forward square. It's hard not to, it's such a dominant move.

Compare this to someone like Big Daddy's down triangle. Devastating, and definitely can be annoying, but it has major drawbacks as well. I know when Big Daddy's try to set up that move, and they know the danger of failing that move (takes a while to get out of the animation should you wish to stop, and you are incredibly vulnerable to supers). Big Daddy overall is also quite a hefty character that suffers greatly from a lack of forethought. You can slide right off stages during supers, and he is crippled by other factors. This is what makes him balanced, regardless of his massive drill attack.

Kratos on the other hand, simply stampedes through so many moves without consequence. He's not even punished for a well timed dodge, or a block, he just relentlessly follows up with speed and fluidity. I swear he played so much better in the old beta.

As for Radec spammers, I played with two today on Sly's Rooftop. Ugh. Both sides of the map with two of us in the middle. They won, but I've no issue with that. They are much more vulnerable than someone like Kratos, me and the other guy just didn't do a good enough job (I had them in some combos, but missed some supers too, oh well). I know with Radec, you can time the sniper or you can spam it, and if you spam it, you become more predictable and easier to deal with. But with Kratos? The chain grab is near instant, follows up just as fast, and locks on. Easy AP to boot.

I think's Drake's is fine, if it was longer it would be akin to Sackboy's, too long. ST needs a better level 2.

OK, I wasn't quite sure as I never used his Super 3 outside of 2v2 once or twice.

Edit: Actually, I think I used it in a FFA local mp. Easy 3 kills to start up if players are all positioned right, and he can follow up with 2 more, maybe 3 if he's lucky.

What about Spike? I hear his Super 1 is too short, though I played a good Spike player who timed his Super 1 successfully 3 times. I know his Super 2 is like Dante's Super 1. I dont really play him though.

Buff back his shoulder Bash like it was before the beta too...

Yeah, this too. Maybe slightly, because I've been playing fine with Sweet Tooth, but I definitely miss that amazing shoulder bash. His down stomp used to be ridiculous too

I disagree about Drake and have mixed feelings about Fatty P's lvl3. Others I agree on

Is it not horridly inconsistent? Maybe the super should drop cakes that give AP. They already have the object in one of her Trials

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
You can you use the face buttons not R2

Sure, you steer with the face buttons, but I'd like to be able to make it explode.

@ Time, yeah, I feel you, it's mostly a problem in FFA, because the other players just aren't playing strategically, unless you are playing with other players that are experienced with the game. Then again, if you are playing with other players that are skilled with the game, you probably won't be playing with a spammer. Lol.

I didn't like how Kratos played in the old beta. Lol. I thought he felt stiff and heavy, and not very Kratos like at all. I like how he plays in the last beta, and the final game, I just think his AP gain needs some adjustment. He clearly seems like he was designed around one of those characters in a fighter that is easy to pick up and play, and if you are going to have a character like that, why not make it one of the biggest "faces" of PlayStation?

Sure, you probably could have made Sir Dan that character, but how many people were going to bother with him day one outside of uber PlayStation fans geeking out that Sir Dan is in the game?

SSReborn

Sure, you steer with the face buttons, but I'd like to be able to make it explode.

@ Time, yeah, I feel you, it's mostly a problem in FFA, because the other players just aren't playing strategically, unless you are playing with other players that are experienced with the game. Then again, if you are playing with other players that are skilled with the game, you probably won't be playing with a spammer. Lol.

No I meant if you press square, x, triangle or circle it will explode.

Balboa and i had some great 2v2 matches. We're on the prowl.

Also, i have sunk more time into this game officially today, than any other game this year. Impressive feat.

DGRE

Banned

When I play with people online, and against a Kratos: Nobody ever throws or uses items. Let me repeat that: Nobody ever throws or uses items. Those things are put into the game for a reason.

Whenever I see a Kratos or anyone obnoxiously spamming to reach level 3, you can bet your ass that I will be using every defensive (and offensive) technique in my catalog to drain them of AP. I will throw you. I will use items to drain AP. I will try and kill you, if anything, just to slow down your progress towards your level while you're respawning.

There are some genuinely good and beastly Kratos players I've encountered, but those guys had skills, and knew how to work is moveset. Then there are the spammers. They are no fun to fight against, sure, but part of the enjoyment for me has become keeping them from getting away with their obvious attempts at exploiting the game.

That doesn't sound very fun.

Zephyrus

Banned
man, it makes me sad to see this game bombing.

It's so awesome. And it makes me dislike Nintendo products just because I don't want to be associated to their fans.

This game deserves a lot more... sad to think we probably won't see a sequel.

It's so awesome. And it makes me dislike Nintendo products just because I don't want to be associated to their fans.

I'm willing to give it a couple weeks before I put up the white flag. I assume a lot of people were also purchasing it off the PSN. None of my friends got a retail copy.

KalBalboa

Banned

Why do people believe it's bombing? Day one anecdotal rankings? We don't even have a hard number for the day one UK sales.

Give it a month.

Balboa and i had some great 2v2 matches. We're on the prowl.

Also, i have sunk more time into this game officially today, than any other game this year. Impressive feat.

We got a good rhythm going earlier, for sure.

If Im not mistaken, the sales account for 2-3 days of sales?

And doesnt take into account the digital downloads.

And while I know it wont be a blockbuster, I wonder if it should have been. If Sony actually got behind this title properly, opened up the budget (get guys that are good at UI design), pay Activision and Square Enix whatever, how well it could be doing.

I dont mind if it's a slow, humble title, I just hope they give it the light of day for a sequel, and a big one at that. It's a fan service game, and I think Sony should have been behind it bigger and better, but I think Superbot did a damn good job, and I hope Sony sees that

gadwn

Why do people believe it's bombing? Day one anecdotal rankings? We don't even have a hard number for the day one UK sales.

Well, we didn't get any number but we know that placing 38... does not equal, like, any sales at all. And Uk is not THAT much different from either US or the rest of Europe, so it ain't looking good. Hopefully it will be a slow burn... I need my sequel on PS4. :/

Loudninja

Well, we didn't get any number but we know that placing 38... does not equal, like, any sales at all. And Uk is not THAT much different from either US or the rest of Europe, so it ain't looking good. Hopefully it will be a slow burn... I need my sequel on PS4. :/
Umm you cannot use the UK market and try to compare to the NA it does not work like that.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I think you are overreacting right now. Just wait for a month before label it bomba.

Also I think Sony should went out all on Playstation All Stars but they didn't. I felt that first game were sloppy with some of the features. They did great job with game engine and 2 vs 2. Other than that, they need to improve presentation of the game.

At least, they got engine down and I'm looking forward to see sequel if Sony is willing to back it up all the way.

KalBalboa

Banned
I think you are overreacting right now. Just wait for a month before label it bomba.

Also I think Sony should went out all on Playstation All Stars but they didn't. I felt that first game were sloppy with some of the features. They did great job with game engine and 2 vs 2. Other than that, they need to improve presentation of the game.

At least, they got engine down and I'm looking forward to see sequel if Sony is willing to back it up all the way.

I've been stressing this exact sentiment in the "bomba" thread. One day of sales rankings and suddenly every hater returns from the grave.

PowderedToast

charting at 38th in the uk, below a family guy game and likely in the region of a few thousand copies (yes the market is that bad) says one thing, lack of awareness

the ps brand alone, with all those characters on the cover should elevate it to 'ok' sales

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I've been stressing this exact sentiment in the "bomba" thread. One day of sales rankings and suddenly every hater returns from the grave.

Also I believe that many parents are going to buy the games for their kids for christmas gifts or many kids would purchase the games with gift cards. I think we should waiting for Jan would be great idea to see how they doing.

Noi

charting at 38th in the uk, below a family guy game and likely in the region of a few thousand copies (yes the market is that bad) says one thing, lack of awareness

the ps brand alone, with all those characters on the cover should elevate it to 'ok' sales

I've been arguing this since before the game came out. The horrible pre-release marketing and the poorly unclear ads aren't helping the game sell at all.

KalBalboa

Banned
I've been arguing this since before the game came out. The horrible pre-release marketing and the poorly unclear ads aren't helping the game sell at all.

Well, that Robot Chicken deal is running tonight in a bit and they certainly got the title out there in front of Wreck it Ralph. But that seems to be all state-side.

Noi

Well, that Robot Chicken deal is running tonight in a bit and they certainly got the title out there in front of Wreck it Ralph. But that seems to be all state-side.

I only expect sales data worth looking at from anywhere that isn't Japan. I wouldn't be surprised if Japanese sales were worse than Persona 4 Arena 360.

They really need to get ads out there that actually feature the gameplay. Just the CG intro is "eh" and doesn't tell the consumer anything about the game. This shit ain't WoW where showing it's gameplay would reduce it's amount of sales.

SykoTech

Since we're talking advertising now, I've still haven't seen a TV commerical for this game (US). Not even on the "kid" stations. Yet I see ones for LBPK and Wonderbook all the time when watching Regular Show.

Maybe it's because it's rated Teen?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Radec is fun, but I can't figure out any actual combos with him.

Sly Cooper is a blast, but I have a hard time closing the gap and feel like his moves are very disconnected.

Bah.

PowderedToast

the steelbook from amazon is real slick!

8f91b614d2df7e4b21d526e4116e57cc.jpg

J-Tier

Radec is fun, but I can't figure out any actual combos with him.

Sly Cooper is a blast, but I have a hard time closing the gap and feel like his moves are very disconnected.

Bah.

The few chances I play as Sly, I play like a total scumbag.

There's no reason not to.

2 matches in so far in the arcade and I'm in love w/ this already.

I've been in the dark for the most part and this game is fantastic. The levels are awesome and I hope Nintendo borrows the dual game level idea for their next Smash game.

Raonak

Banned
the steelbook from amazon is real slick!

8f91b614d2df7e4b21d526e4116e57cc.jpg

Hmm... fat princess stealing a slot. should've been ratchet instead.

Fat princess being in the launch, the cover, most promotional art makes me suspect they have another fat princess game in development.

Actually, FP2 would be a great candiate for crossbuy.

Did you guys notice that, if you get a double (triple?) kill on Sandover, the screen bursts with graffiti and a "NICE SHOT!" message?

Little examples of presentational value like that should be more apparent throughout the game. I know they have the minions, but I'd like to hear "KO!" by the announcer, or a "Wipeout!" when you kill all three.

It just makes sense to be over the top like that.

If they used the other stages to do that, that'd be cool too. Like, if you get a triple in Hades, the Patapon "oooh!" or whatever, or Hades' background gets engulfed in a fire blast.

In Alden Tower, electricity explodes in the sky (a storm or something). In Black Rock, Calypso appears on the screen and laughs maniacally. Or maybe just a quick theme of the character's music. I feel that the taunts also should be louder.

I just love the little things like taunting, the outro music, the poses. I think more of that is just great to have. It just adds a lot of flare to the game.

Hmm... fat princess stealing a slot. should've been ratchet instead.

Fat princess being in the launch, the cover, most promotional art makes me suspect they have another fat princess game in development.

Actually, FP2 would be a great candiate for crossbuy.

are we getting new heavenly sword, parappa, jak and medievil too?

cyborg009

Banned
Me and PSY play a Kratos and Sir Dan.... what a odd pair.

Did you guys notice that, if you get a double (triple?) kill on Sandover, the screen bursts with graffiti and a "NICE SHOT!" message?

Little examples of presentational value like that should be more apparent throughout the game. I know they have the minions, but I'd like to hear "KO!" by the announcer, or a "Wipeout!" when you kill all three.

It just makes sense to be over the top like that.

If they used the other stages to do that, that'd be cool too. Like, if you get a triple in Hades, the Patapon "oooh!" or whatever, or Hades' background gets engulfed in a fire blast.

In Alden Tower, electricity explodes in the sky (a storm or something). In Black Rock, Calypso appears on the screen and laughs maniacally. Or maybe just a quick theme of the character's music. I feel that the taunts also should be louder.

I just love the little things like taunting, the outro music, the poses. I think more of that is just great to have. It just adds a lot of flare to the game.

I like those things too I wish something like this occurs 3/10 of time. Too have it happen all the time would ruin that special feel you'll get.

Vodh

I really like those ideas for better polish. But I won't lie, I'd sell all of them and add a kidney on top of that for a playable Cloud or Sephiroth ;)
Yeah, I know, Dissidia, so it won't happen...

Top Bottom