• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Within a week or two? Is there anything we have to do now to get them later?

They will be available for free for the first two weeks when it's up (It'll be up in 2013). You can download it even if you don't have the game.

Once you download it, you won't need to do anything and can redownload as you please.

If you don't get it within the first two weeks then they'll become paid DLC.

KalBalboa

Banned
Huh? they come out in 2013.

That's why I'm confused.

Do I have to do anything this week or next to redeem them later? Aren't they only free to early adopters? There was a two-week time frame given.

They will be available for free for the first two weeks when it's up (It'll be up in 2013). You can download it even if you don't have the game.

Once you download it, you won't need to do anything and can redownload as you please.

If you don't get it within the first two weeks then they'll become paid DLC.

Oooh. So it's only for the first two weeks the DLC is up, not for early adopters of the game itself.

SykoTech

Just started playing Ratchet, mostly for 2v2 play. Not sure I'm playing him effectively. I use his forward + circle and up + circle (forget the move names) a lot, and also his other range moves. Any tips?

Forward + circle is Agents of Doom and up + circle is Mr. Zurkon. They're decent at getting in extra hits, but won't build AP that much.

Make sure to use his neutral circle when fighting at a distance. It's a solid sniper move that can be used well in mid-air, and you can aim it if you hold it.

Up close, his wrench combos (neutral box) and blaster (side + triangle) are good moves to rely on for building AP.

And make use of the Suck Cannon (right stick, grab move). If you throw your opponents up with it, you can follow up using up + triangle (Warmonger missiles).

Protome

It's really disappointing that this game doesn't let you save replays. It's pretty much a standard feature in every fighting game these days, and even the last SSB game had it :(

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Just started playing Ratchet, mostly for 2v2 play. Not sure I'm playing him effectively. I use his forward + circle and up + circle (forget the move names) a lot, and also his other range moves. Any tips?

Ratchet is going to be my main during the tournament. He's a great versatile character.

Square, Square, Up Square, Up Triangle is a nice combo that's quick and gets you some good AP (I haven't done the numbers yet).

Square, Square, Down Triangle is also a nice quick one that can get you some nice AP.

When in the air, don't forget that Ratchet can hover while holding down X, and he'll also hover if you're in the air and hold neutral Circle to whip out his sniper rifle.

Mr Zurkon is useful for some nice chip AP gain while you gain more through comboing.

I really enjoy using the Down Circle, Tesla Spikes to stun opponents to either get away from them when they're following me, or trap them so I can combo them better (or use Up Triangle to knock them further away, while still gaining AP).

I admit I don't use his Sniper blast much, because I'm usually in the mid to close range distance, and it's kind of a slow move.

The forward Triangle, Triangle, Triangle attack builds some nice AP, and it gives you a few follow up options if you're quick enough.

I'm still experimenting with him, but that's about all I can think of at the moment.

evolution

It's really disappointing that this game doesn't let you save replays. It's pretty much a standard feature in every fighting game these days, and even the last SSB game had it :(
Very true, there going to have to find a work around for the sequel. I don't think they can just play back inputs like in most fighters.

KalBalboa

Banned
Man this game bombed hard. But, that doesnt mean that they wont make a profit, does it? I just want more and want SB around.

You think it bombed? Have we even seen a US number yet for the Black Friday week release?

Give it until Christmas. I'm betting it does 2-3 million, lifetime.

libregkd

Man this game bombed hard. But, that doesnt mean that they wont make a profit, does it? I just want more and want SB around.
Well even if it bombs sale-wise, it could still make a profit. This doesn't seem like the game that needs to be a multi-million seller to break even.

Protome

Oh wow, you can unlock all those "Use X's level 3 Super on Stage Y" trophies in the training mode.

This game seems like an easy platinum.

Mit-

Do people in here really think Superbot is good at anything but gameplay design/balance/features?

The art is bad, the music is bad, the animations are bad, the sound balance and design in general is just awful, all the creative/unique aspects of the game like menus and effects are bad, etc etc. This game screams amateur and doesn't look anywhere near as good as any of the series it pulls from. Which is astonishing with how simple the graphics are compared to some of the huge, complex worlds these other games render.

Sure, they got all this great ex-talent from these other games to found the studio, but those leaders don't create animations or music or art or anything like that. They need more highly skilled code monkeys and creative talent.

Raonak

Banned
Do people in here really think Superbot is good at anything but gameplay design/balance/features?

what makes you think they aren't. Budget and Time is what forces most games to be what they are, less so the dev talent of the team, especially large teams.

Presentation is pretty bad, but thats because they focused on the thing that really matters. Gameplay. thats why it's pretty barebones in SP.
Hopefully for the sequel they'll get a bigger budget and can expand upon the areas that were lacking.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This game has practically Playstation 1 levels of presentation, but the stage graphics, the character models, and their animation, are not bad. Not anywhere even remotely near "bad". Or ugly, or amateurish.

It's a four player fighting game that runs locked at 60fps, with the Vita version enjoying the same performance without hardly any visual sacrifices (even fully animated stages).

This game's only problem is UI and presentation framework, and that screams "no budget" more than "no talent".

Loudninja

This game has practically Playstation 1 levels of presentation, but the stage graphics, the character models, and their animation, are not bad. Not anywhere even remotely near "bad". Or ugly, or amateurish.

It's a four player fighting game that runs locked at 60fps, with the Vita version enjoying the same performance without hardly any visual sacrifices (even fully animated stages).

This game's only problem is UI and presentation framework, and that screams "no budget" more than "no talent".
Please stop with the hyperbole.

You think it bombed? Have we even seen a US number yet for the Black Friday week release?

Give it until Christmas. I'm betting it does 2-3 million, lifetime.

You basting this off sales we don't even have for the UK, makes no sense.

We dont have a single sale number.

I just read that it accounted for two days of sales, my bad. But I'm still generally worried after games like Twisted Metal and Starhawk.

Skyzard

Banned

This is it.

Please stop with the hyperbole.

Ok that was a bit harsh, but yeah the menus are a bit too simple/unimpressive/not quite right in style (not bad like Super Monkey Ball Vita bad).

The arcade mode lacks a little umph as well. Story presentation and final boss being a bit underwhelming.

cyborg009

Banned
I just read that it accounted for two days of sales, my bad. But I'm still generally worried after games like Twisted Metal and Starhawk.

Jaffe said Twisted metal did Ok but it really should have been marketing better... it could done million easily.

This game will be a slow burner.

Skyzard

Banned
Jaffe said Twisted metal did Ok but it really should have been marketing better... it could done million easily.

This game will be a slow burner.

I can't imagine why it wouldn't be, yep. Has a lot going for it, playstation gamers will need this in their lives if they know about it.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Edit to my above post:

Square, Square, Up Square does not work, because they changed it. Now, it will always do three wrench attacks that knock the enemy away. You can at least follow up with a neutral circle Sniper attack.

Up Square, Up Triangle is still very, very useful. I've also been playing around with using the Tesla Spikes in conjunction with the Forward Triangle, Triangle, Triangle attack and wall bounce to set up people for more damage and AP gain (when done correctly, the forward triangle combo should knock them back into the wall, with the wall bounce knocking them into the tesla spikes, and you can follow through with an attack of your choice, although I prefer Up Triangle).

EDIT: As for fight replays, Superbot addressed this. They said that the game didn't have replays because of the way the system records information. Basically, other fighting games just records the inputs, and then plays them back for you during a replay. But due to the nature of the system they are using in All Stars, no two replays would play out the same, so they are working on a solution. I think they'll add in things like replays and theater mode in later patches/updates. Here's hoping the game spreads through word of mouth. I've been talking it up to anyone who'll listen, especially here at Capcom, since there are a lot of people still on the fence and doubting it's appeal (including a Nintendo faithful who just can't wrap his head around the idea that PlayStation has fans that are totally into the characters in the game). I don't like to force my opinion down people's throats, but I let them play it themselves on my Vita, or they'll watch me play and be like, "that looks cool" - except for the Nintendo guy; he just doesn't like anything about it, and won't play it either. :/

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Loved TM but the fact that online didnt work for 2-4 weeks was the killer of that game IMO. Online works flawless on Allstars, I'm kinda surprised at the sales numbers for it..

SykoTech

I wouldn't be. Battle Royale obviously won't set the charts on fire, but it also won't bomb off the face of the earth like Starhawk did (IIRC Twisted Metal sold decently, Jaffe/ESP planned to move to small titles a lot ealier). The budget couldn't have been too high either way given how the presentation is lacking in some areas, along with the single-player content.

Pranay

Agreed

The Production value seems quite low as compared to Sony other games.

Also they should had shown videos of the content available in the game etc instead of just showing gameplay videos with a boring background music

Yep, this completely. It's so damn ignorant to say it's lack of talent... but then again gamers are the most talented individuals of all and all developers are drooling idiots. I think Sony must have cut budget once they saw the perception of the game was lacking (Smash Clone!? WAHH), what they need is a high budget sequel.

Also, fuck Sly. Fighting a high level computer of him is goddam obnoxious, because the computer player is ALWAYS invisible (because they can see him always) and just comes out to do a counter ect. and the fact that Sly's #1 is the best in the game...

Why's Sly level 1 super so damn good? It functions like drakes level 2 but faster and Sly can get AP so damn fast. Not saying Sly is OP, but in certain situations he can be

Mit-

As far as character animations being close to their source, that's not really my problem. Anything in this game they could pull almost directly from another game--looks good. It's more with how the game 'feels' and meshes all the characters together. The way movement feels/appears with some of these characters is just off. Especially in the air. Snake in SSBB and Chris in MvC3 both looked better and more natural despite being ordinary guys. The way characters interact when getting hit/landing hits bugs me as well. And why design the stages to be so huge and the jump heights to be so high? Surely they could've accomplished more with less knockback/jump height and smaller stages with a closer camera. I'm sure this is a difficult problem to solve but I don't think they came up with a good solution. I'm not sure why it's so much easier to avoid zooming the screen waaaaay out in Smash Bros, but it is.

And the effects. Their creative ideas for menu themes and attack effects went as far as "PS3 XMB default background" and that's pretty much it.

Also I'm sure the majority of the team was not all focusing on tweaking the gameplay and balance. Artists do art. Musicians make music. They could've definitely used some better ones.

SykoTech

Yeah, CPU Sly is a pain in the ass on the Hardest difficulty. Constantly invisiblity and counters. I haven't even done Drake's story yet, but based on how everyone was complaining about it earlier, I'm not sure if I should set it to All-Star.

....I will though!

Oh wow, you can unlock all those "Use X's level 3 Super on Stage Y" trophies in the training mode.

This game seems like an easy platinum.

Yep. I did it the regular way with everyone, but did this with Kratos because I didn't feel like playing as him. I'll have to do his arcade mode eventually though...

Yeah, CPU Sly is a pain in the ass on the Hardest difficulty. Constantly invisiblity and counters. I haven't even done Drake's story yet, but based on how everyone was complaining about it earlier, I'm not sure if I should set it to All-Star.

....I will though!

Oook good, thought I was alone in that regard. I hate you CPU SLY!!!

And Sly has AP stealing moves? I've heard he does, but didn't know to what extent. I was Parappa and had level 1, then all the sudden I was at 0 (5% full) and Sly was almost to level 2 and we just started. It cant be that big of a steal is it?

This game on the vita makes me want a new tv. Lol. I mean o have a 1080 p tv but the crispness and fluidity of the vita's screen is something else.

Also is it weird I suck as good Cole but am really good with evil? Feels like evil Cole bulids meter more easily.

pantsmith

Also, fuck Sly. Fighting a high level computer of him is goddam obnoxious, because the computer player is ALWAYS invisible (because they can see him always) and just comes out to do a counter ect. and the fact that Sly's #1 is the best in the game...

Why's Sly level 1 super so damn good? It functions like drakes level 2 but faster and Sly can get AP so damn fast. Not saying Sly is OP, but in certain situations he can be

His counter is supposed to be that he can't block, but usually what happens is he'll do a hit and run attack that leads to:

a) you get hit and he gains AP, or
b) you block him, and can't respond fast enough to get a hit in (he still gains AP)

Against a bad player I can usually catch their patern and try to hit him out of his window of vulnerability (jumping over and down kicking into the end of his dash, for example) but in 4 player FFA he has the advantage of striking when he wants to, and picking from the sides.

His supers are all great, but as you said his level 1 is the best because he creates a space in front of and behind him that puts him at little to no risk of getting interrupted. In Toro's, Toro is the projectile, so getting hit from the front or back will interrupt it. Murray can't be stopped unless Sly himself is hit.

All Stars Sly is a major tool.

I dont think the AI considers the fact that normal humans can't always keep track of invisible Sly, but I guess the AI "sees" Sly anyway.

And his moves rob you of your AP, which makes him a major pain in the ass. I gave up and beat him on the easiest difficulty.

nope. I have the same problem average with Cole better with E-Cole,
don't know about the meter though

Perhaps it is because I feel like I have a better arsenal to build meter. I mean he has an on the ground combo for a person above him. Up circle x3. and up triangle is awesome.

So, I know there's a two-week window on these two:

8187534744_b26ea8e0a8.jpg
8186494241_5ed1249324.jpg

Any updates on how we'll redeem them?

Gravity Rush girl and Starhawk guy? Sony really scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
just fyi you can corner Sly and beat him with Drakes neutral square combo.

down circle in the air works as well. He's a pain in the ass, until your figure out how to exploit the AI. It makes for a boring fight though...

Top Bottom