• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

KalBalboa

Banned
Try to throw Sackboy at all costs when he gets above 1 or 2. He drops a lot of meter and it can really hinder him.

I play Sackboy but he's getting really boring to me. His playstyle isn't very satisfying.

I didn't realize some characters dropped more than others. Thanks.

Starting to discover new favorite characters. Parappa and Drake are pretty awesome

BELIEVE!

Drake is really versatile. He's just so damn fun to play.

Try to throw Sackboy at all costs when he gets above 1 or 2. He drops a lot of meter and it can really hinder him.

I play Sackboy but he's getting really boring to me. His playstyle isn't very satisfying.

Oh yeah, I spend games doing that, but those electric pads are his escape route. I guess it doesnt help that my characters are more melee style. He tends to also gain that AP back quicker than I can take it out of him, and a good Sackboy player will counter grab with the boxing punch knockback.

I tried practicing against CPU Sackboys, but they play a more diversified playstyle. Im going to be more mindful of my own projectile attacks

Sackboy player sent me lovely hatemail for cheating. I sent his cake right back at him with Parappas skateboard :D.

Now ranked #12 in the leaderboards. Gotta get to that top 10!

Yea I find him only really fun when I'm supporting a friend in 2v2.

But I think Sackboys pretty easy to handle if you know what you are doing. I played a match where the other 2 constantly avoided me (it was a bigger map) so it made me pretty much useless. They lost, because they were too busy running away, but it seems like a good strategy if refined.

But again, Sly is the mofo'ing cheapest in the game. COUNTER COUNTER COUNTER GLAD I CAN HELP! COUNTER COUNTER. That is all.

DigitalOp

Banned
OK here's my list of gripes:

Effing D/C, If you suck then don't play, instead of getting upset and ruining the game.
I take all my beatings like a man
I cuss about it though lol

Network connections are great but sometimes I have invisible players randomly KOing me or a partner... That's not fun at all Superbot

The Dodge mechanic can be a little bit more fluid and responsive, Right now it's so rigid and mechanical, It barely works a quarter of the time even when your timing is spot on! Some supers also seem impossible to dodge because of the AOE range of attacks. You can roll but your invincibility state is lost while you're still inside the AOE... Its very fustrating sometimes

Menu GUI is awful. Really? Was this the last thing done in production? Ive seen student made games look better. Unacceptable, No Excuse Superbot

Single Player could have been more polished. But I won't hold points against them... I should though....

Idk if I have anymore honest gripes... other than that this game will stay in rotation for my PS3 till its deathbed

My PS3 will never have a deathbed, Best hardware gaming system I've invested in

Ok guys, Ive bought the game. So if anyone wants to add me in Ill be online later this night. PSN id is the same as here

Now I only need a code for the clothes. So if anyone helps me out, Ill be most grateful

Mr. Fix

I had hoped that they would at least give Dante his grappling move (which I'm surprised they didn't, seeing as this was day 1 stuff) and gauntlets. I really want to pick him up, but he seems so gimped in this game. It's kind of odd that his combos can give him up to a bar, when others can do so for much less. At first I thought he'd be a good mobber, but then we have Kratos anyway. I wonder what the chances are that they'll actually patch in new moves.

DigitalOp

Banned
Now I only need a code for the clothes. So if anyone helps me out, Ill be most grateful

I need to get my hands on a costume code, too.

and I make three!

tumblr_mbn26rGzaP1r1dw8qo1_400.gif

Ah Ah Ah! Should have preordered!

EDIT: Just for Lols, No harm intended

Archon473

Imagine if Radec had instant teleport, shock, and a grab that knocked you back. It's all a bit too much and too easy, IMO, and that's what makes Sackboy so effective...that and his AP/Super 3

If Radec's Down Square was a true teleport, he would have no reason to use his standard roll. Initially I thought this buff would be excellent but realized how unbalanced it would be. His Down Square grenade should knockback, however (and all his grenades should explode on contact). What's stupid is his Up Circle can get stuffed. The angled jet of electricity takes time to activate, I accept that. If Radec is hit while he's firing the purple bolt before it becomes active, it will dissipate without ever becoming active. His few tools that are threatening are easily avoided (His rifle) and the rest are completely nonthreatening. Also, his Up Throw now yields a combo, so you can Up Throw to build meter, Forward Throw to send opponents away, or Down Throw into Down Square to set up an okizeme trap. HOWEVER, he lacks a guaranteed throw set-up (imagine if blocking his Neutral Square Square granted him enough frame advantage to earn a throw attempt, but the opponent could still jump to avoid this).

I read the BradyGames guide in Gamestop and his section is so vague and the advice is useless. They explain that Radec is basically harmless at close range and should spend his time running away and keeping his opponents off him, yet the writer admits opponents will at some point weave their way toward him. The writer suggests throwing opponents who approach Radec, but unless Radec's opponent does something dumb like rolling toward him (rather than simply walking and attacking as they are more likely to do), how are you to score a throw? The guide gives no advice on setting up and earning throws, and Radec lacks a way to scare opponents into rolling foward (where he could throw them) or away (where he can resume zoning) because his close range attacks are nonthreatening (such as his grenades as they do not explode on contact and do not knock opponents away on hit).

KevinCow

Banned
I like how their solution to actually being able to announce something before it leaked was, "Fuck it, just announce it out of nowhere before it's even in a remotely playable state that we can show off."

I look forward to seeing how Kat and Emmett play.

I wonder if this free for the first two weeks thing is a bit of an experiment. See if it does a better job at keeping interest up than paid DLC?

Like, you tell me, "Hey, that game you already finished and put down? Yeah, you can go buy some DLC for it now," I'm probably not gonna bother unless it's REALLY substantial.

Or you tell me, "Hey, that game you already finished and put down? There's some new content for free," I'll probably think, "That sounds nice. I'll check it out if I ever play it again."

But you tell me, "Hey, that free new content? It's not gonna be free anymore in two weeks. Seriously, all you have to do is put that disc in the console and download it," then I'll probably make a point to check it out sooner rather than later.

Seems like a good way to keep people coming back to the game, which keeps people talking about it, which potentially gets other people interested in checking it out and buying their own copy.

It would be nice if it was successful and they kept this model for future DLC.

Well, that's great.

Sackboy camps it out, throws cake, gets level 1 in about 3 hits. Raiden camps with him and defends him, and of course, when I actually grapple Sackboy, no AP comes out because Drake's grabs are fucking broken.

Noi

I like how their solution to actually being able to announce something before it leaked was, "Fuck it, just announce it out of nowhere before it's even in a remotely playable state that we can show off."

I look forward to seeing how Kat and Emmett play.

I wonder if this free for the first two weeks thing is a bit of an experiment. See if it does a better job at keeping interest up than paid DLC?

Like, you tell me, "Hey, that game you already finished and put down? Yeah, you can go buy some DLC for it now," I'm probably not gonna bother unless it's REALLY substantial.

Or you tell me, "Hey, that game you already finished and put down? There's some new content for free," I'll probably think, "That sounds nice. I'll check it out if I ever play it again."

But you tell me, "Hey, that free new content? It's not gonna be free anymore in two weeks. Seriously, all you have to do is put that disc in the console and download it," then I'll probably make a point to check it out sooner rather than later.

Seems like a good way to keep people coming back to the game, which keeps people talking about it, which potentially gets other people interested in checking it out and buying their own copy.

It would be nice if it was successful and they kept this model for future DLC.

You don't even need the game to claim the free DLC though. It'll be on the store like with every other game.

B.O.O.M

The highest level char's I come across are always Drakes and they are always fucking insanely good.

Wow this made my day. Holy shit it has EULA?

Drake is really versatile. He's just so damn fun to play.

Oh yeah, I spend games doing that, but those electric pads are his escape route. I guess it doesnt help that my characters are more melee style. He tends to also gain that AP back quicker than I can take it out of him, and a good Sackboy player will counter grab with the boxing punch knockback.

I tried practicing against CPU Sackboys, but they play a more diversified playstyle. Im going to be more mindful of my own projectile attacks

Indeed what an incredibly versatile character. I'm very impressed

Also if I dare say so..Drake in this game most probably has the most creative and imaginative set of moves in a fighter.

J-Tier

Also if I dare say so..Drake in this game most probably has the most creative and imaginative set of moves in a fighter.

I agree. I really like how his attacks and super have visible physics. So awesome.

Agreed. Cant believe they didnt even give him a proper reveal trailer!

OK here's my list of gripes:

Effing D/C, If you suck then don't play, instead of getting upset and ruining the game.
I take all my beatings like a man
I cuss about it though lol

Network connections are great but sometimes I have invisible players randomly KOing me or a partner... That's not fun at all Superbot

The Dodge mechanic can be a little bit more fluid and responsive, Right now it's so rigid and mechanical, It barely works a quarter of the time even when your timing is spot on! Some supers also seem impossible to dodge because of the AOE range of attacks. You can roll but your invincibility state is lost while you're still inside the AOE... Its very fustrating sometimes

Menu GUI is awful. Really? Was this the last thing done in production? Ive seen student made games look better. Unacceptable, No Excuse Superbot

Single Player could have been more polished. But I won't hold points against them... I should though....

Idk if I have anymore honest gripes... other than that this game will stay in rotation for my PS3 till its deathbed

My PS3 will never have a deathbed, Best hardware gaming system I've invested in
It's funny, I generally think gaf overreacts and exaggerates about almost everything. And when people say, "Is the menu/ui designed by a 13 year old" or "looks like a fucking highschool student did it". It's actually the one instance where it is true... the techniques ect. they use in the menu (art wise) are very amateur photoshop user esque. And I've taken some beginning Graphic Design courses and some of their stuff was better than the menus here...

It makes me wonder what the fuck happened over there and I wonder if they can patch it later... I'm near superbot, if they want I'll gladly go over there and work w/ them free of charge to fix it! Haha

PowderedToast

yea drake is so fun. i love is underslide>running punch>ak run>gun butt combo

ive already started playing 2p mode on the training map with weapons turned off. free for all is just too crazy to be satisfying, not to mention it hides what is otherwise an amazing fighting engine.

Skyzard

Banned
Really? You mean they still haven't gotten a response, or is something else going on at that front?

I'm not totally sure, but I suspect the former, I tweeted:

--@stewartgilray Hello! I was wondering if you had any luck getting Abe into PSASBR? I'd love to see another familiar face (+hype for the new)

--"still following up"

Seems disappointed to me.. - could have just not replied if he wasn't allowed to comment or said so. Maybe it's being considered before they get back to him...but sure are taking their sweet time.

I can understand the moves being hard to come up with and that they'd need to pair him for DLC...but at least give the guys some notice

Top Bottom