• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Sadly I'm going to get the DLC characters for free and then buy them after to support SuperBot. God I hope this game doesn't kill them... I've got a lot of users on my friends list and I haven't seen any of them playing Allstars yet. But I should add some of you guys!

And I'm glad to hear people have some troubles w/ the Arcade mode difficulty. Because all I would read is how insanely easy it is and playing through on Legendary w/ every character I've found some REALLY GODDAM frustrating matches.
http://i.minus.com/iF9hpIpCSjXQj.png[IMG]

At least I can play this game offline just fine. (All-Star difficulty, 3:00 FFA in Arcade).[/QUOTE]

Oh damn nice! I love Ratchet. :D

SykoTech

All that in a 3 min FFA? Hot damn, Heaper.

just fyi you can corner Sly and beat him with Drakes neutral square combo.

Yeah, I read that and down circle in air are good ways to take him out. Will probably be a dull fight just spamming like that. But after my fight with CPU Sly against Nariko, that's probably the way it'll have to be.

r_x2

Perhaps it is because I feel like I have a better arsenal to build meter. I mean he has an on the ground combo for a person above him. Up circle x3. and up triangle is awesome.

forward circle also has a good horizontal distance.
I think thats why I prefer E-Cole, his firebird strike beats G-Cole's vertical ice launch, because I find myself playin' a more horizontal style.

Raonak

Banned
Man. watching videos of that loco roco stage doesn't do it justice. On the OLED screen the colour really fucking pop.

Also I love drake. I read it somewhere, but he doesn't seem to have a single bad move. so many options to deal with people. barrels, degale, ledge crack, tranq, chaingun, grenade launcher. his moveset is great.

Man. watching videos of that loco roco stage doesn't do it justice. On the OLED screen the colour really fucking pop.

Also I love drake. I read it somewhere, but he doesn't seem to have a single bad move. so many options to deal with people. barrels, degale, ledge crack, tranq, chaingun, grenade launcher. his moveset is great.

Yea Loco Roco stage is so great, too bad it turns into a cluster fuck.

Has anyone been able to confirm that I will be able to play the Vita version online with my PS3 playing buddy if I buy the PS3 version, activate the Vita code on my account, and then have him sign into his account to play the PS3 version with me?

I'm only concerned because someone said the online pass isn't up.

I need to know before I open this box sitting in front of me, the torture :-(

I kinda agree but I can't really seem to get good use out of the cover move. You can easily be thrown out of it and it's bait for a super as it's hard to get out of it quickly. The grenades take to long to explode and the AK fire gets meager AP, the Rifle but is alright but only a fool will fall for it more than once. So far I don't find this mechanic useful.

J-Tier

Why don't they just pick the training stages available?

Can't watch the stream but I'm assuming that's not what they're doing if they're setting all these constraints on gameplay already.

SmithnCo

Stage hazards are well choreographed, they're not hard to dodge and add some variety to matches. Dunno why they're opposed to them.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
One of the things that I like the most about this game is how the stages and the items are integrated into the overall strategy and fun factor of the game.

I like playing with Hazards/Items on, because they are useful to your success. Sometimes, a lot of the fun can come from getting caught up in a hazard, when your opponent has a Super ready, and frantically trying to escape before he gets you, or vice versa, and you capitalize off of an opponent getting hung up, and win (it's very satisfying throwing an opponent into Dr. Nefarious' paralysis bubble, and then executing a Super like Sir Dan's to kill them). Or simply using a useful item to keep a player from getting to his/her level 3, allowing you just a bit more breathing room to get your own.

I've played with hazards and items off, and sure, it's fun, but I really enjoy the default setting of having them both on.

People are seriously going to have to break their Smash Bros way of thinking with this game. It only really does a disservice to the work that Superbot put into the game's design.

Mr. Fix

It would only make sense if they're trying to play it competitively. Notice how SF and MvC don't have hazards, platforms or items. Keep in mind that the game's also trying to appeal to the fgc (lol). The above makes the match more random and one sided. Not sure what's so hard to get. Not all characters benefit from platforms. I know some like Kratos do, but it could also mess up combos for others.

Has anyone been able to confirm that I will be able to play the Vita version online with my PS3 playing buddy if I buy the PS3 version, activate the Vita code on my account, and then have him sign into his account to play the PS3 version with me?

I'm only concerned because someone said the online pass isn't up.

I need to know before I open this box sitting in front of me, the torture :-(

Yes, I'm doing that with my brother. I activated the Vita version on my account and he signs in on his account on ps3 and we play online together. The online pass and dlc is also activated on my account but he can still use the dlc and play online with his account on the same ps3

This game has practically Playstation 1 levels of presentation, but the stage graphics, the character models, and their animation, are not bad. Not anywhere even remotely near "bad". Or ugly, or amateurish.

It's a four player fighting game that runs locked at 60fps, with the Vita version enjoying the same performance without hardly any visual sacrifices (even fully animated stages).

This game's only problem is UI and presentation framework, and that screams "no budget" more than "no talent".

I whole-heartedly agree. Fighting games are usually graded on their presentation, and if half of the game looks great, while the other half looks meh, it really makes the worse half even worse. It's not hyperbole, it's the truth. Superbot didn't have a big, bloated budget, they had to watch their asses and get the game out the door so they can make bank.

Still, it's kind of lame that they kept asserting that the current in game assets were "placeholders", that the real deal was coming in the final build. Welp, they didn't even bother to make the bland menu any nicer. The character select screen is basically the same one we've seen in previous beta builds ... it really makes you wonder how much a nice, shiny character select screen really would have cost them in both funds and development time.

Hopefully it sells enough to warrant a meatier sequel, because the overall presentation and roster is pretty lacking. The characters that people were screaming for aren't present (no Final Fantasy rep, really?), and there's pretty much no hope for them to ever get into the game. We're getting Kat and Emmett, which should have been in the game from the get-go, but clearly they had scheduling issues and just wanted to get the game out the door.

Honestly, if they're hoping those two characters will help in Japan they're wrong... only Kat will IMO. Most Americans don't even know who Emmett is, do they honestly think the Japanese will recognize him? If they wanted to really sell the game to the Japanese they'd have Lightning from FF XIII, and you guys have no idea how much it pains me to say that.

Instead we got Big Daddy, Dino, Evil Cole and two stages with Bioshock representation in it ... clearly the wrong idea of the face of Playstation, IMO. I know I'm not alone with that. I've said it before and I'll say it again - they should have just done all first/second party characters before any third party made the cut, so there's no argument over the validity of their inclusion over one another. Still mad that we got Evil Cole, if it wasn't clear enough :p I love the inFAMOUS franchise too.

KevinCow

Banned
Why don't they just pick the training stages available?

Can't watch the stream but I'm assuming that's not what they're doing if they're setting all these constraints on gameplay already.

They are. Training stage 1 is apparently this game's Final Destination.

Yeah I'm not a fan of items/hazards off myself. The tourney I was at had that, and I think matches with Sackboy lasted as long as they did because there were no items/hazards on.

J-Tier

In my opinion, Sackboy is easier when it's a flat stage. I only have an issue when he's on a platform like in Black Rock Stadium. Though I've been countering that with up + square from underneath with Ratchet.

Cider X

I don't understand how cross-buy works...
Seems to me that you can transfer the game to as many Vitas as you please since there's no code involved?

J-Tier

I don't understand how cross-buy works...
Seems to me that you can transfer the game to as many Vitas as you please since there's no code involved?

If you buy the PS3 version, the vita version comes with the download. The vita version is linked to your account to prevent exploits.

cyborg009

Banned
In my opinion, Sackboy is easier when it's a flat stage. I only have an issue when he's on a platform like in Black Rock Stadium. Though I've been countering that with up + square from underneath with Ratchet.

I used Spike monkeys then hit him with the ground laser

J-Tier

Is it inconceivable that this game will have more characters than Brawl via DLC?

It's possible.

Just improbable.

I really have my doubts. If this games' sales skyrocket, then yeah, something like that has more of a chance. But with things going as they are, I don't think even their passion for the game is going to get that dream to happen.

Cider X

If you buy the PS3 version, the vita version comes with the download. The vita version is linked to your account to prevent exploits.

Thanks for the quick reply. I may be dense here, but what's to stop me from going to my friends house, pop in the All Stars disc in his PS3 and then run the program that generates the download for the vita on his PSN account?

Allllright, time to get real yo. These are exact numbers.

Sackboys AP requirements respectively:

Total needed each

lvl 1: 100 AP

lvl 2: 325 AP

lvl 3: 600 AP

Now this is exceptionally low, especially for his lvl 3. His lvl 1 has the best/easiest hit confirm in the game in my opinion. (up grab-lvl1 super, no problem) A very decent lvl 2, and the best lvl 3 in the game costing only 600 AP.
Big Daddies lvl 1 also cost 100, and that ish sucks yo.

As a reference point.

PaRappas AP requirement:

lvl 1: 125 AP

lvl 2: 400 AP

lvl 3: 600 AP

Would you say that PaRappas craptastic lvl 3 and Sackboys astoundingly amazing lvl 3 should cost the same amount?

Radec AP requirements:

lvl 1: 125 AP

lvl 2: 325 AP

lvl 3: 750 AP

All of radecs supers cost more or equal to sackboys, decidedly overall superior supers, his lvl 3 costs 150 more AP to get to, and while its still an excellent super it just isnt worth 150 more AP.

Kratos and Raidens AP requirements are exactly the same and unsurprisingly are high cost:

lvl 1: 150 AP

lvl 2: 400 AP

lvl 3: 750 AP

So both of them are a little more balanced because of the absurdity of there AP requirement, which is fine because they gain AP so fast.

In my opinion, the simplest way to balance the characters is an AP movement. As a matter of fact i wouldn't be opposed to Raiden taking even more AP than he already does but thats just me.

Nah bro, facts dont matter, u just jelly/salty.

Outside of AP tuning, I still think Kratos' priority chain grab needs a tone down. That crap is just too much

Played a ranked match today and got that irritating bug where the game chooses a different character than the one you picked in the select screen. I get Kratos and subsequently roll my eyes, but then think what the hell; it's the Dojo stage and I love the Dojo stage. I go into this match with a half-hearted frame of mind because I hate Kratos and the only time I've used him in PASBR was to complete his story mode. I end up devastating the opposition with minimal effort. Got to a level 3 before the walls came down, netted myself 6 kills from it, and then almost reached his level 3 again but decided I'd fumble things with a misplaced level 2 instead. Won by a wide margin.

He is stupidly overpowered. I know folks have been saying it over and over, but I hadn't played online with him until now and I see the light. SuperBot - do something about that guy, it's ridiculous. I have to sweat like a pregnant nun if I want to win with Parappa; Kratos requires no skill whatsoever.

Played a ranked match today and got that irritating bug where the game chooses a different character than the one you picked in the select screen. I get Kratos and subsequently roll my eyes, but then think what the hell; it's the Dojo stage and I love the Dojo stage. I go into this match with a half-hearted frame of mind because I hate Kratos and the only time I've used him in PASBR was to complete his story mode. I end up devastating the opposition with minimal effort. Got to a level 3 before the walls came down, netted myself 6 kills from it, and then almost reached his level 3 again but decided I'd fumble things with a misplaced level 2 instead. Won by a wide margin.

He is stupidly overpowered. I know folks have been saying it over and over, but I hadn't played online with him until now and I see the light. SuperBot - do something about that guy, it's ridiculous. I have to sweat like a pregnant nun if I want to win with Parappa; Kratos requires no skill whatsoever.

It blows my mind that SB is continuing to sit on it as it really turns off a lot of people. They say they can tune very easily, but they dont. And I know they dont want to be impulsive, but It's not like this will just go away with new characters and new strategies. There is a legitimate problem with his chain grab.

Funny enough, my noob sister plays Kratos all day er' day. I struggle to beat her 1v1. So I decided, f it, I'll play as Kratos. Beat her every time.

I know I can use him online, but I dont. I just feel dirty as hell, and I know for a fact that I'll have a relatively easy time.

Yes, I'm doing that with my brother. I activated the Vita version on my account and he signs in on his account on ps3 and we play online together. The online pass and dlc is also activated on my account but he can still use the dlc and play online with his account on the same ps3
Yes! Thank you so much - I guess the key is playing on the same console you activated it on, which is exactly what my friend intends to do.

Now I can finally open this sucker!

/happy

grin.gif

What I hate the most about Kratos is his turn around attack. I think it's down square? Often time my friend is hitting the wrong way and I'll think "Okay, I've got him! He's open!" Then that attack comes out immediately after his basic string and blah.

People using Kratos are too predictable with his chain grab. It's getting easier to guess when they would use it.

B.O.O.M

Thanks for that. Really dig the Drake one. He is growing on me

Vysetron

Neo Member
Do you guys seriously struggle that much with Kratos? A few well timed air dodges deal with almost everything he's got. He's annoying, and you have to adjust your gameplan, but his supers aren't that hard to deal with and most of them play predictably.

Nobody needs a nerf yet. Game is too young.

Sackboy: Reduce Super 3, or Debubble upon respawn (obvious)
Sir Dan: Increase AoE, reduce kill time, or increase AP to Sackboy's level (currently too weak)
Fat Princess: She needs like double the attack rate for her level 3 (abysmal super)
Drake: I feel like his Super 3 is a bit on the short side, but Im not too sure
Sweet Tooth: Greatly increase AoE? Have a blast beam like Sir Dan?

What do you guys think?

SSReborn

Sackboy level 3 is the only thing I really have a problem with, I don't really have that much trouble with Kratos. His grab and 3 are great, but I'm not sure if he's really broken.

I don't think he's broken either he just seems like an automatic character one that you don't need to put much effort in with to be good with.

Top Bottom