• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

I just got the game and I don't know if it's misinformation or I just can't work it out. I was under the impression that I could be playing the ps3 game and send and invite to someone playing the vita version and we both could play together. I sent and invitation but the other player doesn't receive it, is cross-play possible,??

Jawmuncher

I just got the game and I don't know if it's misinformation or I just can't work it out. I was under the impression that I could be playing the ps3 game and send and invite to someone playing the vita version and we both could play together. I sent and invitation but the other player doesn't receive it, is cross-play possible,??

It is but the vita player can only see invites in game at the menu and not in messages. They need to touch the bar in the top right and look at invites (if a notification didn't pop up for them while at the menu)

bakedpony

For those struggling in the Sly fight in Drake's Arcade mode (All Star difficulty), you can cheese him by double jumping and using down circle. Just spam it til you get a level 3.

It is possible. Try again.

B.O.O.M

Ok now the game has an absurd amount of bitches who rage quit...I mean I get whooped bad all the time but I hate quitting like that.

SuperBot NEEDS to do something penalize quitters. Of the games I had in the past hour..I lose one game real bad...and of the games I was about to win the guy quit at least 5 times!

so frustrating

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Ok now the game has an absurd amount of bitches who rage quit...I mean I get whooped bad all the time but I hate quitting like that.

SuperBot NEEDS to do something penalize quitters. Of the games I had in the past hour..I lose one game real bad...and of the games I was about to win the guy quit at least 5 times!

so frustrating

No kidding, I got a lot of them too.

Vodh

Are you guys sure all the 'lost connection with host' are actually quitters? Because I think some of them are just bugs and glitches - to back this up, had quite a few of those during games with 4 friends where I'm reasonably sure no one disconnected. Also, doesn't it work in a way that lets you keep playing the game so long as the DC'd player wasn't the host?

Are you guys sure all the 'lost connection with host' are actually quitters? Because I think some of them are just bugs and glitches - to back this up, had quite a few of those during games with 4 friends where I'm reasonably sure no one disconnected. Also, doesn't it work in a way that lets you keep playing the game so long as the DC'd player wasn't the host?

I'm pretty sure most of those are quitters, because with me it only happens just before time runs out when we give our opponents an ass whooping.

Drencrom

I'm pretty sure most of those are quitters, because with me it only happens just before time runs out when we give our opponents an ass whooping.

Yup

Alternatively, a team that me and Leezard clashed with a few times online started quitting as soon as the match started because they lost badly the first two rounds.

Caffer

Neo Member

so frustrating
i think you lose lot of belt points if you quit, but only if you aren't the host.. in the case you are hosting the match you won't lose anything because the match stops when you quit..
I know it because my ps3 freezed while in a match and I lost 15 red belt points...:-(

btw yesterday after a match I received a message.. I was like "wtf another hate mail.." and then I read it and this guy congratulated to me for "great sly work" :)
it felt good :)

Leezard

i think you lose lot of belt points if you quit, but only if you aren't the host.. in the case you are hosting the match you won't lose anything because the match stops when you quit..
I know it because my ps3 freezed while in a match and I lost 15 red belt points...:-(
Me and drencrom actually lost points when the other team quit, once.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
My impressions before were based on the beta, and now I got the game (40 bucks locally). It's region 3 so sadly it won't connect to US PSN. Looks like I have to connect with my Asia PSN to unlock the codes.

I can now fully understand the middling issue. Arcade for instance is riddled with time battle rather than stock, the controls are tight albeit the attacks really don't flow well with each other unless you're certain characters. The score system still feels wonky because it's still tightly attached to a single mechanic rather giving multitudes of achieving it, so some fights really do end up being longer. And some characters have issues of lacking oomph in that regard.

Boss Doggie

Is there any way to turn off stage intrusions? The stages are really fine... but they just have to ruin it with "let's shake things up a bit... by having every stage have an annoying boss".

Is there any way to turn off stage intrusions? The stages are really fine... but they just have to ruin it with "let's shake things up a bit... by having every stage have an annoying boss".

You cant turn off for Ranked, though I wish they would.

The gravity in Time Station and the AP generator on Alden's Tower aren't favourable.

Leezard

You can only turn it off in custom Versus Matches. It's mind-boggling that stage hazards are on in ranked matches.

Vodh

Mind-boggling? really? They are not random, easily avoidable and don't turn games around, just alter them in a balanced and fun way. It's like complaining that there are stages with platforms on ranked - we should all just play 1v1, items off, hazards off, final des... uh, Practice Large, I mean... If you really feel like you've lost an entire game just because of a hazard, I'd say you deserve it.

That aside... What's the deal with the Cole's random stagger on his n111? I've been goofing around with both coles in practice, and it seems like good cole does have it happen quite frequently, but never happened to me while I was playing evil cole. What's the consensus on Coles, is the good one better?

B.O.O.M

Yeah it's pretty easy to notice. Sometimes the guy who is losing real bad...suddenly stops moving and a few seconds later lo and behold the connection with the host is lost. fuck this seriously

Boss Doggie

Mind-boggling? really? They are not random, easily avoidable and don't turn games around, just alter them in a balanced and fun way. It's like complaining that there are stages with platforms on ranked - we should all just play 1v1, items off, hazards off, final des... uh, Practice Large, I mean... If you really feel like you've lost an entire game just because of a hazard, I'd say you deserve it.

That meme is played off so much that it's ignoring people playing on stages with hazards.

I am fine with hazards, it's just these ones are pretty much repetitive and are annoying to boot (most are just "avoid x area from incoming attacks based on the markers that appear), and not to mention some already disrupting stages that are pretty much fine right off the bat.

Leezard

They are not gamechanging unless it's a really close match, in which they can determine the outcome. In a vacuum they are easily avoidable but you don't always have the luxury of not fighting the opponent in an actual game. I'm fine with most hazards, but certain ones disrupt the game way too much. I'd much prefer ranked games keeping the randomness down, though. It being standard in any other mode does not bother me.

Vodh

Yeah, I can totally understand why not everyone loves hazards. It's just, out of all the possible interpretations of mind-boggling (including, for example, 'fantastic' according to the internet), this sounded a bit like 'it's beyond comprehension how the idiot devs could think that playing ranked with hazards on is a good idea', when in reality it's just a matter of preference - having to get away from the hazardous spot gives keep-aways some breathing room, etc.

I guess I can sometimes be allergic to hyperbolas that way.

So, how about that Cole? :D

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah it's pretty easy to notice. Sometimes the guy who is losing real bad...suddenly stops moving and a few seconds later lo and behold the connection with the host is lost. fuck this seriously

Exactly.

If you see characters teleporting everywhere or kept running toward wrong direction then disconnected, that would be problem with netcodes, not rage quit.

According to SquareTriangle (well known Gaffer who works at Gamestop) the vita version will be on sale for $20 bucks from 12/9 - 12/15. LBP Vita too.

OmegaZero

Well, this game is confusing me.
On one hand, I love how the characters play. A large variety of moves that are as easy to use as Smash Bros attacks is a winning combination imo. I find it hard to stop playing once I start, and I love the details put into the movesets. I especially like the way Dino plays, so I guess he'll be my main.

On the other hand, I loath the "only super attacks kill" system. It feels like they implemented it just to be different. Sure, it's fun in FFA but in 1v1 and sometimes 2v2, I've realized that not all lv1 Super attacks are equal. Several characters can combo into them, but others can't making them much less usable in 1v1.
Having to save up for a lv2 super to get a kill that another can do with a lv1 is ridiculous imo.
I'm sure everyone else has realized this by now though, and I'm probably echoing earlier posts in this thread.

But yeah, I'm enjoying this much more then I thought.
Superbot has some good stuff here.

TheMink

On one hand, I love how the characters play. A large variety of moves that are as easy to use as Smash Bros attacks is a winning combination imo. I find it hard to stop playing once I start, and I love the details put into the movesets. I especially like the way Dino plays, so I guess he'll be my main.

On the other hand, I loath the "only super attacks kill" system. It feels like they implemented it just to be different. Sure, it's fun in FFA but in 1v1 and sometimes 2v2, I've realized that not all lv1 Super attacks are equal. Several characters can combo into them, but others can't making them much less usable in 1v1.
Having to save up for a lv2 super to get a kill that another can do with a lv1 is ridiculous imo.
I'm sure everyone else has realized this by now though, and I'm probably echoing earlier posts in this thread.

Over half the cast can hit confirm their lvl 1 believe it or not. Dantes being esspecially creative. I can show you that one later if you want.

But yeah ballencing is absolutely mainly FFA and 2v2 oriented. So some characters have an advantage when a 1v1 does occur,

Jamix012

Anyone wanna team up for a 2v2? I'm not amazing, I main Sly and have an 81 point belt in solo and and 82 point belt in 2v2. My PSN is Jamix012, feel free to add me to anything! Even if it's not a 2v2.

I understand what you mean.

I find Raiden's Super 1 nonsense when you consider that he is one of the easiest characters to use with attacks that interrupt and take priority over other players' attacks.

In comparison, Sir Dan and PaRappa's Super 1's are crummy, so why play as them when you can have an easier time with someone like Raiden? Especially when Dan and PaRappa have extremely situational supers that require much rarer instances of enemy position to successfully hit. Then you look at Super 3's-- Raiden who can get 4+ kills much more easier than someone like Sir Dan, who has to struggle to get 4+ kills.

I think the game could use a couple of good tweaks here and there to bring the balance in line with the whole roster:

1) Ratchet: Super 1 needs a nerf
Reason: Too reliable to get 3 kills, Super 2 becomes obsolete.

2) Sir Dan: Super 2 or 3 (preferably 3) needs a buff, if anything. I'd like to see his homing missiles move faster, or his S3 radius/kill time improved upon

3) Sly: Super 1 needs a tone down, or Super 2 needs a buff
Reason: same as Ratchet's

4) Raiden: Super 1 needs a tone down, some of his attacks should have a reduced priority**
Reason: Super 1 is much too reliable considering his AP gain, combo ability, and priority.

5) Fat Princess: Super 3 needs a buff
Reason: Just worthless.

6) Kratos: Reduced priority/chain grab lock-on
Reason: Reckless play style makes him too easy to use-- I see 90% of local players use Kratos as a secondary because he's that damn easy, my local play is not immune from this

**I think it's real crappy that guys like Raiden have such an easy parry move, same with Kratos. On top of the incredible offense these two have, they have an ability to counter like no one else. Meanwhile, you mess up Heihachi's counter, and you are screwed. What sense does that make?

Then take someone like Big Daddy: he has a rush attack with forward triangle. If he misses or hits a wall, he does this whole animation where he has to get up, it leaves him vulnerable. Raiden? Dashes around like a mad man with little to no consequence, and damn is he fast.

Priority, priority, priority.

My balance suggestions aren't to say that the characters are themselves OP or not manageable. But when developing a Super system, you have to consider balance in relation to everybody else. Tweak the best tiers, and suddenly, the lower tier characters can compete relatively better, simply because the super system has a wave effect.

The point of having 3 levels of super was to have skilled players use level 1 to try and attempt multiple kills, to use super 2 to get easier kills with potential vulnerability, and to have super 3's to work up to get much easier kills with, with a slight chance of error depending on enemy skill. While some guys like Raiden have incredibly varied Supers that are reliable on all fronts, guys like PaRappa have worthless Super 3's, incredibly tough Super 1's and decent enough Super 2's. It wouldn't even be a problem if the core combat or AP gain or combo potential of PaRappa's could make up for this, but when you have guys like Raiden and Kratos wrecking shit up without a care in the world, gaining AP fast, comboing you with incredible moves with relative ease (Raiden: SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE), and KOing you with easily earned and much more forgiving supers, you start to see why less and less people pick the PaRappa's, Jak's, and Sir Dan's.

All that said, I continue to see incredibly skilled players use guys like Jak to outdo more common Raiden and Kratos players, but I do think that generally speaking, people would much rather gravitate towards Raiden or Kratos over PaRappa and Dan if they can always rely on an easier style of play, and you can't blame them. But a lot of common Raiden and Kratos players can blast through the competition, and I'd just enjoy matchmaking with a better diversity of characters. But that wont happen with the way things are right now. Hence why I enjoy playing locally

Top Bottom