• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

This is true. I bet we'll see some curb though with people returning to Sly. I'd like to see Jak get a buff, too.

I'd definitely like to see a Jak buff in between what we have now, and what we had in the older builds.

I see a lot of bad Sackboy players resorting back to Raiden and Kratos, to be honest. It's all about priority attacks and fast AP building, and these two are next in line with that mentality.

I'd like to see Raiden and Kratos get a priority nerf more than anything, it's just so easy to play these guys and win.

Do you guys think character balancing would largely be balanced if this all happens?

ZeroAKA

Yes, it appears like every calendar month is one "season", so the leaderboards get reset each month and you can thus receive (or not receive) the belt title rewards once a month.
My leaderboard definitely hasn't been reset, and I seem to be stuck on green belt. Hopefully I'll get my titles soon.

2v2, while it has its share of horrible match ups (double spammer teams, like a double Kratos team in a small level, or a double sackboy team in a large level), is a good place to grab a friend and use skill and strategy to your advantage. In my mind 2v2 should be the games heaviest advertised mode.

I used to do 2v2 online quite often actually, I just don't have anyone near my skill level who lives close enough to justify playing it.

EDIT: Also, Big Daddy is worse than crap in 1v1. ALL of his moves have negative priority, and his Supers are easier to dodge than rain on a sunny day.

Good games Scrafty. Were you doing that weird Toro animation or was it just me, lol?

Nope; my scorpion got stuck between my legs (o_0) and whenever I pressed Triangle in Ninja form, it would just spazz out and do a wonderful thing.

Also, it makes me sad that Evil Cole is the only character I'm good with :(

I used to do 2v2 online quite often actually, I just don't have anyone near my skill level who lives close enough to justify playing it.

EDIT: Also, Big Daddy is worse than crap in 1v1. ALL of his moves have negative priority, and his Supers are easier to dodge than rain on a sunny day.

My friend is almost unbeatable with Big Daddy in 1v1 I swear.
Also, anybody get their titles yet?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I've been trying out Ratchet recently I think he's good but a bit cumbersome.

Ratchet is my dude. I'm pretty good with him, I think. I like his play style a lot. He doesn't seem terribly cumbersome. He's more of a character that is most effective with setting up his enemies for attacks, and keeping them at a mid to ranged distance.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
And dat grab into level 1

All day every day. The only issue I have with Ratchet's grab is Im pretty god damn sure it has a long ass start up time for a throw compared to the cast, or maybe im just spoiled by how fucking fast dir dans grab is.

Oh and after finally getting to play Gravity Rush Im def going to use Kat when she comes out :D

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What grab into level 1? Explain!!

Grab with ratchet, walk to wall, stand far enough away from wall so they cant forward roll past you, eject them towards the wall, do super. They are now dead as the super last longer than the long wake up time.

This is currently the only way ratchet can get a guaranteed kill outside of building up a level 2 and doing a stagger hit into clank mode *a huge waste for the rate ratchet builds ap*

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Thanks. That's a pretty good tip. I guess the way I play Ratchet is a bit different.

I've noticed that, if the timing is done well, you can do a Forward Square, which trips the enemy, and if you immediately fire off the Level 1 Super, they will be caught in it when they start to land/recover from the trip. It's not a guaranteed one, though.

I usually tend to bide my time and just wait for an opportune moment to use his Level 1. And if I don't find one, I'll get to a Level 2 by that point.

Whiffing Supers suck, but it's part of the game, and adds to the tension. The 1v1 I had last night between my Ratchet and a PaRappa was pretty intense with the back and forth between hitting and whiffing Supers, trying to set each other up, etc. It was a great match. I really wish there were replays. Ultimately, I ended up losing, because he kept doing his thousand punch attack, yo yo to Super 1, and then finished with a Level 3 that I had no defense against.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Thanks. That's a pretty good tip. I guess the way I play Ratchet is a bit different.

I've noticed that, if the timing is done well, you can do a Forward Square, which trips the enemy, and if you immediately fire off the Level 1 Super, they will be caught in it when they start to land/recover from the trip. It's not a guaranteed one, though.

I usually tend to bide my time and just wait for an opportune moment to use his Level 1. And if I don't find one, I'll get to a Level 2 by that point.

Whiffing Supers suck, but it's part of the game, and adds to the tension. The 1v1 I had last night between my Ratchet and a PaRappa was pretty intense with the back and forth between hitting and whiffing Supers, trying to set each other up, etc. It was a great match. I really wish there were replays. Ultimately, I ended up losing, because he kept doing his thousand punch attack, yo yo to Super 1, and then finished with a Level 3 that I had no defense against.

Forward square is really really bad unless it's used on reaction to another attack, it has REALLY bad recovery. We can play some games later if you want I'll mess around with my dan if you want ratchet practice if you use someone else Ill hope over to ratchet. *lol avoiding a mirror match for learning sake*

Nakiro

Had a 2v1 match with Ratchet cause my teamate bailed on me, was against another Ratchet and Kratos, ended up being an intense 1v1 Ratchet vs Ratchet. He tried a lvl 2 and didn't get to kill me and then I finally built up mine and finally got him. It was a great game though.

(I have yet to play a human opponent)

I really like the moves given to each character, and the supers seem to be done well. However, I do think their should be other means to deaths (health/falls) and removing those definitely took out a bit of depth from the experience. Plus non super deaths could have been a greater FFA equalizer.

I hope this series gets some traction though, I think it is generally very well done.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Forward square is really really bad unless it's used on reaction to another attack, it has REALLY bad recovery. We can play some games later if you want I'll mess around with my dan if you want ratchet practice if you use someone else Ill hope over to ratchet. *lol avoiding a mirror match for learning sake*

Forward square is pretty useful, it's all in the situation. It's not something to use as a go to each and every time. It's a very situational tactic that comes with high risk, but is super satisfying when you pull it off.

What I really like about the game is that it's all about strategy, positioning, and taking advantage of opportunities when they arise. Yes, people can spam attacks and just go willy nilly, but there's a lot of reward in battling an opponent who is on your level, skill and strategy wise, and it becomes very much like chess, trying to maneuver and out-maneuver your opponent, and, ideally, get them where you want them to be (and vice versa for them).

I like that the game can both cater to casuals and hardcores. But, as expected with an online game like this, you'll get a mix of both, and it can be frustrating for both. It's easy to get frustrated by noobs who spam, or flock to the easy win mode characters. It's also easy for the noobs to get frustrated by the veteran players who now more than just a little bit about the deeper mechanics of the game.

Hopefully, once Superbot gets this matchmaking and network issues taken care of, the community will fall into their respective niches and grow, without as much growing pains as week one has had.

I think some of us who were in the beta often forget that the game is only 1.5 weeks old, and people are just now getting their hands on it, and are still learning their way around it. We were fortunate in that we got to play the game months ago, and get familiar with it on a base level early on. Even though we may not have played with all characters, that core mechanic was solid and in place. To everyone just now joining us, it's a new experience for them.

btkadams

FUCK THIS GAME.

i'm so annoyed lol. i have 3 trophies left:

Triple Kill!
-Earn a Triple Kill in a match-made online game

This is Living
-Win a match-made online game without dying

Friendly Competition
-Complete a Versus Match against an online player

any tips/cheats/gamesharkcodes for the first two? i suck at this game online :(

Mr. Fix

FUCK THIS GAME.

Triple Kill!

This is Living

Friendly Competition

- I think you can get the triple kill just by using your level 3 in a free for all game. I got mine using Evil Cole's level 3. You could always just use someone like Heihachi, Toro, or Parappa's level 3 that's an instant kill.

- For Friendly Competition, you could just invite a friend to a custom match and boost beat them.

I assume you could do the same for This is Living.

SmithnCo

FUCK THIS GAME.

Triple Kill!

This is Living

Friendly Competition

Use Sackboy.

FUCK THIS GAME.

Triple Kill!

This is Living

Friendly Competition

- I think you can get the triple kill just by using your level 3 in a free for all game. I got mine using Evil Cole's level 3. You could always just use someone like Heihachi, Toro, or Parappa's level 3 that's an instant kill.
Isn't it lvl 1 only?

1) I suggest you try it with Ratchet, Raiden, Sly, Toro, Drake or Nariko whoever you feel the best at building lvl 1 fast.

2)Play Radec or Sackboy and always run away from action and spam projectiles. Hope that there won't be supers that affect you.

3) Just play a game with friend. You get it even if you lose afaik.

btkadams

- For Friendly Competition, you could just invite a friend to a custom match and boost beat them.

I assume you could do the same for This is Living.

Use Sackboy.

Isn't it lvl 1 only?

1) I suggest you try it with Ratchet, Raiden, Sly, Toro, Drake or Nariko whoever you feel the best at building lvl 1 fast.

2)Play Radec or Sackboy and always run away from action and spam projectiles. Hope that there won't be supers that affect you.

3) Just play a game with friend. You get it even if you lose afaik.

ZOMGZOMG you guys i think you gave me positive energy. i just got the "this is living" one as a fluke while using ratchet trying to get three kills at once. thanks for the tips! i'll keep using him until i get the 3 kill one.

Yuripaw

Banned
I have a question that I hope one of you can answer about the physical PS3 version, and free digital Vita version that comes along with it.

So when the game first came out, I bought a digital copy of the Vita version, because I didn't have a PS3 at the time. My mom surprised me, and says she's going to buy me a PS3 this week, and I want to get the PS3 version of PS all stars. I already own a digital copy of the Vita version. How do you claim the free digital copy that comes with the PS3 version?

Is the online pass code inside the game case, also a code for the Vita version, or does Vita version install off of the disc? Because if that's the case, I might not use it.

Leezard

I have a question that I hope one of you can answer about the physical PS3 version, and free digital Vita version that comes along with it.

So when the game first came out, I bought a digital copy of the Vita version, because I didn't have a PS3 at the time. My mom surprised me, and says she's going to buy me a PS3 this week, and I want to get the PS3 version of PS all stars. I already own a digital copy of the Vita version. How do you claim the free digital copy that comes with the PS3 version?

Is the online pass code inside the game case, also a code for the Vita version, or does Vita version install off of the disc? Because if that's the case, I might not use it.

You get it from the disc.

Vodh

Yeah, you redeem it from the disc itself and you can do it only for one account from a single disk (allegedly). I guess if you don't use that disc's feature (it appears as a separate icon under the game itself on the PS3 menu) you could do it later on a different account, so you'd be able to redeem it for a friend who has a vita but no PS3 or something like that.

But TBH, ever since I got to play it on Vita I must say I prefer it on Vita by a huge margin. The only advantage of the PS3 version is the local multiplayer - but if your circle of friends has an access to this game on a different PS3 or if you don't have any friends or w/e, I'd say wait till the game drops in price - which should happen within a few months.

Top Bottom