• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

OmegaZero

Over half the cast can hit confirm their lvl 1 believe it or not. Dantes being esspecially creative. I can show you that one later if you want.

But yeah ballencing is absolutely mainly FFA and 2v2 oriented. So some characters have an advantage when a 1v1 does occur,

If you're talking about Dino's empty cancel, yeah, that's pretty awesome so far. I still have yet to experiment with what mobility options it gives him (having the option between a grounded an aerial mid-combo Angel Dash could be handy) but so far I've loving its uses in combos.

EDIT:

Yeah, I totally agree.
If Superbot implemented changes like that, I would play as Jak much more then I do.

kvothe

Just started playin' my Vita version. Gotta say, I was expecting to not really enjoy this, as I thought the concept of eliminating people only by using supers was kinda dumb... but I'm into it. Just won my first online match as Big Daddy, really like his lvl 2 and his down+triangle attack. Even though he's slow he can get around the level quickly with his charge attack, too.
Thinkin' about buying it for the PS3 to play locally with my roommates...

TheMink

If you're talking about Dino's empty cancel, yeah, that's pretty awesome so far. I still have yet to experiment with what mobility options it gives him (having the option between a grounded an aerial mid-combo Angel Dash could be handy) but so far I've loving its uses in combos.

EDIT:

Yeah, I totally agree.
If Superbot implemented changes like that, I would play as Jak much more then I do.

Yeeesh carry on then.

Drencrom

I understand what you mean.

I find Raiden's Super 1 nonsense when you consider that he is one of the easiest characters to use with attacks that interrupt and take priority over other players' attacks.

In comparison, Sir Dan and PaRappa's Super 1's are crummy, so why play as them when you can have an easier time with someone like Raiden? Especially when Dan and PaRappa have extremely situational supers that require much rarer instances of enemy position to successfully hit. Then you look at Super 3's-- Raiden who can get 4+ kills much more easier than someone like Sir Dan, who has to struggle to get 4+ kills.

I think the game could use a couple of good tweaks here and there to bring the balance in line with the whole roster:

1) Ratchet: Super 1 needs a nerf
Reason: Too reliable to get 3 kills, Super 2 becomes obsolete.

2) Sir Dan: Super 2 or 3 (preferably 3) needs a buff, if anything. I'd like to see his homing missiles move faster, or his S3 radius/kill time improved upon

3) Sly: Super 1 needs a tone down, or Super 2 needs a buff
Reason: same as Ratchet's

4) Raiden: Super 1 needs a tone down, some of his attacks should have a reduced priority**
Reason: Super 1 is much too reliable considering his AP gain, combo ability, and priority.

5) Fat Princess: Super 3 needs a buff
Reason: Just worthless.

6) Kratos: Reduced priority/chain grab lock-on
Reason: Reckless play style makes him too easy to use-- I see 90% of local players use Kratos as a secondary because he's that damn easy, my local play is not immune from this

**I think it's real crappy that guys like Raiden have such an easy parry move, same with Kratos. On top of the incredible offense these two have, they have an ability to counter like no one else. Meanwhile, you mess up Heihachi's counter, and you are screwed. What sense does that make?

Then take someone like Big Daddy: he has a rush attack with forward triangle. If he misses or hits a wall, he does this whole animation where he has to get up, it leaves him vulnerable. Raiden? Dashes around like a mad man with little to no consequence, and damn is he fast.

Priority, priority, priority.

My balance suggestions aren't to say that the characters are themselves OP or not manageable. But when developing a Super system, you have to consider balance in relation to everybody else. Tweak the best tiers, and suddenly, the lower tier characters can compete relatively better, simply because the super system has a wave effect.

The point of having 3 levels of super was to have skilled players use level 1 to try and attempt multiple kills, to use super 2 to get easier kills with potential vulnerability, and to have super 3's to work up to get much easier kills with, with a slight chance of error depending on enemy skill. While some guys like Raiden have incredibly varied Supers that are reliable on all fronts, guys like PaRappa have worthless Super 3's, incredibly tough Super 1's and decent enough Super 2's. It wouldn't even be a problem if the core combat or AP gain or combo potential of PaRappa's could make up for this, but when you have guys like Raiden and Kratos wrecking shit up without a care in the world, gaining AP fast, comboing you with incredible moves with relative ease (Raiden: SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE), and KOing you with easily earned and much more forgiving supers, you start to see why less and less people pick the PaRappa's, Jak's, and Sir Dan's.

All that said, I continue to see incredibly skilled players use guys like Jak to outdo more common Raiden and Kratos players, but I do think that generally speaking, people would much rather gravitate towards Raiden or Kratos over PaRappa and Dan if they can always rely on an easier style of play, and you can't blame them. But a lot of common Raiden and Kratos players can blast through the competition, and I'd just enjoy matchmaking with a better diversity of characters. But that wont happen with the way things are right now. Hence why I enjoy playing locally

Great post TE, Superbot have to make changes so that people won't rely on Kratos and Raiden online as much.

This, Superbot. Why on earth do we have to scroll through it every single time, on both platforms,

About the EULA.

1. I never have to accept it multiple times (only did it once I believe)
2. You dont have to scroll through it. When it pops up, push right and then left (accept).

I find Raiden's Super 1 nonsense when you consider that he is one of the easiest characters to use with attacks that interrupt and take priority over other players' attacks.

In comparison, Sir Dan and PaRappa's Super 1's are crummy, so why play as them when you can have an easier time with someone like Raiden? Especially when Dan and PaRappa have extremely situational supers that require much rarer instances of enemy position to successfully hit. Then you look at Super 3's-- Raiden who can get 4+ kills much more easier than someone like Sir Dan, who has to struggle to get 4+ kills.

I think the game could use a couple of good tweaks here and there to bring the balance in line with the whole roster:

2) Sir Dan: Super 2 or 3 (preferably 3) needs a buff, if anything. I'd like to see his homing missiles move faster, or his S3 radius/kill time improved upon

4) Raiden: Super 1 needs a tone down, some of his attacks should have a reduced priority**
Reason: Super 1 is much too reliable considering his AP gain, combo ability, and priority.

Reason: Reckless play style makes him too easy to use-- I see 90% of local players use Kratos as a secondary because he's that damn easy, my local play is not immune from this

**I think it's real crappy that guys like Raiden have such an easy parry move, same with Kratos. On top of the incredible offense these two have, they have an ability to counter like no one else. Meanwhile, you mess up Heihachi's counter, and you are screwed. What sense does that make?

Then take someone like Big Daddy: he has a rush attack with forward triangle. If he misses or hits a wall, he does this whole animation where he has to get up, it leaves him vulnerable. Raiden? Dashes around like a mad man with little to no consequence, and damn is he fast.

My balance suggestions aren't to say that the characters are themselves OP or not manageable. But when developing a Super system, you have to consider balance in relation to everybody else. Tweak the best tiers, and suddenly, the lower tier characters can compete relatively better, simply because the super system has a wave effect.

The point of having 3 levels of super was to have skilled players use level 1 to try and attempt multiple kills, to use super 2 to get easier kills with potential vulnerability, and to have super 3's to work up to get much easier kills with, with a slight chance of error depending on enemy skill. While some guys like Raiden have incredibly varied Supers that are reliable on all fronts, guys like PaRappa have worthless Super 3's, incredibly tough Super 1's and decent enough Super 2's. It wouldn't even be a problem if the core combat or AP gain or combo potential of PaRappa's could make up for this, but when you have guys like Raiden and Kratos wrecking shit up without a care in the world, gaining AP fast, comboing you with incredible moves with relative ease (Raiden: SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE), and KOing you with easily earned and much more forgiving supers, you start to see why less and less people pick the PaRappa's, Jak's, and Sir Dan's.

All that said, I continue to see incredibly skilled players use guys like Jak to outdo more common Raiden and Kratos players, but I do think that generally speaking, people would much rather gravitate towards Raiden or Kratos over PaRappa and Dan if they can always rely on an easier style of play, and you can't blame them. But a lot of common Raiden and Kratos players can blast through the competition, and I'd just enjoy matchmaking with a better diversity of characters. But that wont happen with the way things are right now. Hence why I enjoy playing locally
Nice post. I agree about Fat P's level 3, what the fuck is even the point I usually get 0-2 kills from that thing.But I don't think Ratchets lvl 1 needs to be nerfed, it's already super easy to interrupt... perhaps Clank can last a little longer or move a little faster though, he's useless on bigger maps.

Ran rp

About the EULA.

2. You dont have to scroll through it. When it pops up, push right and then left (accept).

Nice post. I agree about Fat P's level 3, what the fuck is even the point I usually get 0-2 kills from that thing.But I don't think Ratchets lvl 1 needs to be nerfed, it's already super easy to interrupt... perhaps Clank can last a little longer or move a little faster though, he's useless on bigger maps.

This game has EULA?! No way.

Leezard

I mostly agree with the Timeffects list as well, with a few exceptions; being a ratchet player I can recognize both the strengths and weaknesses of his lvl 1. The range and duration of the super are great, while the startup animation and the animation after the attack is really long, and a glaring weakness. It is more risky to use than most other lvl 1s since you become completely vulnerable for the whole duration + extra animation before and after. If an enemy does not cancel it during the startup animation, which is very easy , the enemy can dodge and easily get a free kill of their own. So, if you don't kill your target (and the target isn't dan/jak), you'll get hit with a super or a combo. If it were to receive a range nerf, it would certainly need shorter delay before or after the move to not become too big of a risk to use. I don't really see the duration as as much of a problem, since the duration is both a strength and a weakness. Most enemies get killed during the initial time, and most people don't walk into an ongoing super.

About the EULA.

I mostly agree with the Timeffects list as well, with a few exceptions; being a ratchet player I can recognize both the strengths and weaknesses of his lvl 1. The range and duration of the super are great, while the startup animation and the animation after the attack is really long, and a glaring weakness. It is more risky to use than most other lvl 1s since you become completely vulnerable for the whole duration + extra animation before and after. If an enemy does not cancel it during the startup animation, which is very easy , the enemy can dodge and easily get a free kill of their own. So, if you don't kill your target (and the target isn't dan/jak), you'll get hit with a super or a combo. If it were to receive a range nerf, it would certainly need shorter delay before or after the move to not become too big of a risk to use. I don't really see the duration as as much of a problem, since the duration is both a strength and a weakness. Most enemies get killed during the initial time, and most people don't walk into an ongoing super.

Fair enough. In that case, maybe it's better that his Super 2 isn't that powerful, because his Super 3 seems to be really powerful as well, making his Super 2 a compensator. But I just find it odd that generally speaking, a Super 1 is more reliable than a Super 2. I havent used Ratchet much, it does seem like people fire off the Super 2's at bad times, so there's that possibility too.

There is an ultimate solution: Just lie down (this is the easiest way to set up his super, he just waits for you to get up into his Super 1), making him pre-fire. And maybe you can get up fast enough to interrupt his super as well. I have definitely gotten free kills off of some badly timed Super 1's of Ratchet's, but I figured this was more a matter of an exception to an otherwise reliable super 1. But, that said, it's also about who you play as, as well, and I suppose it balances out when you consider priority enemies like Kratos and Raiden, combo characters, and powerhouses/range characters. I don't want to see Ratchet nerfed at all, just scaled, but it's more a minor complaint that will probably develop as Ratchet players set up super 2's better and people learn to counter. But I do think everything else I said stands, and that tweaking the game like that could do some good

Vodh

Damn, I almost (not quite, tho) wish they didn't nerf Sackboy. I really enjoy playing Raiden, but now there's only Kratos who's left leading the OP cry-charts. Not saying he's not better off than most of the others, i'm not blind - his super Lv1 is a bit too good, and a free super on a parry is a bit too much. Not sure about the priority of his moves tho, to me they seem fine in that regard - IMO just nerf parry a bit, nerf Lv1 a bit and maybe reduce ap gain on dash and dive kick to make them primarily mobility tools... Tho I'm not a big fan of nerfing shit that's not completely broken like Sack's Lv3 (which will no longer be a game-breaking problem after the patch IMO), I'd much rather see the weaker characters buffed. Because, you know, the wave effect of tweaks works both ways - buff the weaklings, and suddenly the top tiers aren't so great anymore.

bakedpony

You forgot Sweet Tooth's Level 2. The most useless super in the game. I would also suggest they add a dash move to his level 3. If players get close to him, they can dodge his stomp with relative ease, making the Mecha Tooth a laughing stock.

You forgot Sweet Tooth's Level 2. The most useless super in the game. I would also suggest they add a dash move to his level 3. If players get close to him, they can dodge his stomp with relative ease, making the Mecha Tooth a laughing stock.

Sorry man, I really disagree about Sweet's Super 3. I'm down to modify his Super 2, but his Super 3 is deadly if used right. When I get Sweet's Super 3, I can get 5+ kills, with patience. And that's what it's about.

Position yourself from the beginning in the fray, and do the foot stomp for the 3 kills. Find a ledge, and reign hell. It's a terror on maps like Metropolis. I dont think that Super needs any more buffing, but people need to use it patiently, because it's easy to strike preemptively or panic attack.

NEO0MJ

Yeah, Tooth's supers need to be improved, especially the LV.2 one. And a dash for his LV.3 would be good, or adding an explosion to his stomp to make it harder to avoid.

Also, what's a good set-up for his LV1?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Anyone up for some 1v1's havent played in a few days.

Yeah, Tooth's supers need to be improved, especially the LV.2 one. And a dash for his LV.3 would be good, or adding an explosion to his stomp to make it harder to avoid.

Also, what's a good set-up for his LV1?

his level 1 and 3 are fine. Keep his 2 shitty for all I care with how good his 1 is.

Damn, I almost (not quite, tho) wish they didn't nerf Sackboy. I really enjoy playing Raiden, but now there's only Kratos who's left leading the OP cry-charts. Not saying he's not better off than most of the others, i'm not blind - his super Lv1 is a bit too good, and a free super on a parry is a bit too much. Not sure about the priority of his moves tho, to me they seem fine in that regard - IMO just nerf parry a bit, nerf Lv1 a bit and maybe reduce ap gain on dash and dive kick to make them primarily mobility tools... Tho I'm not a big fan of nerfing shit that's not completely broken like Sack's Lv3 (which will no longer be a game-breaking problem after the patch IMO), I'd much rather see the weaker characters buffed. Because, you know, the wave effect of tweaks works both ways - buff the weaklings, and suddenly the top tiers aren't so great anymore.

Yea, it's dangerous nerfing characters and it is much better to go buff the weaker ones. Because you always risk the chance of pissing off a certain player group and them never coming back by nerfing.

TESTING:
GXhM7Rp.gif

oXwRUx6.gif

Jawmuncher

You know I play as Raiden but I can definitely tell how easy he is to use. However from my time oine I haven't seen very many Raidens or Kratos, looks like a lot of people are playing their favorite characters and just learning their ins and outs. Which is good Raiden could have been straight garbage and I'd still play as him.

Also after playing awhile my biggest complaint is the menu. It's really amateurish. Especially since you can't pick who you want on the menu which would have fixed something's at least z

I kind of feel that Raiden isn't that great in FFA because he has no crowd control and is completely melee. That means that any time he engages an opponent, another ranged hero can just lob in projectiles and interrupt him, and Raiden will never be that other hero that lobs projectiles and gets free AP off tangled opponents. It's super frustrating to go 2 moves into a combo and get interrupted.

I find I have a lot of trouble generating AP since all I can ever do is land 2/3 hits before I'm hit by someone else. This is really frustrating. Why isn't there a 1v1 mode for online???

Anyway, at least his level 1 and 2 are pretty decent for hitting multiple targets.

You guys weren't kidding about the credits, they go for 32 minutes. Also, holy shit at the last general trial on All-Star difficulty. I played Radec once or twice in the beta, no way can i do that before seriously putting in some time with him. I managed to do one taunt before i gave up and put it on 2 stars. :D

This may sound funny, but is that really Nolan North voicing Drake? There is no reason it wouldn't be him, but some of his lines sound a bit odd to me, like someone else was doing an Drake impression.

This may sound funny, but is that really Nolan North voicing Drake? There is no reason it wouldn't be him, but some of his lines sound a bit odd to me, like someone else was doing an Drake impression.

Yep; that's Nolan North alright.

The only line that sounds off to me is "hat pataytah!" whenever he uses his Level 1.

Jawmuncher

With all the Bioshock Infinite stuff in the game sort of wish the Protagonist from that game was in here. Don't get me wrong Big Daddy is a nice addition since it changes things up Inthe character roster. Just obviously Infinites Guy would be a better fit.

Drencrom

With all the Bioshock Infinite stuff in the game sort of wish the Protagonist from that game was in here. Don't get me wrong Big Daddy is a nice addition since it changes things up Inthe character roster. Just obviously Infinites Guy would be a better fit.

Big Daddy is much more iconic and intressting compared to that Drake wannabe.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
You guys weren't kidding about the credits, they go for 32 minutes. Also, holy shit at the last general trial on All-Star difficulty. I played Radec once or twice in the beta, no way can i do that before seriously putting in some time with him. I managed to do one taunt before i gave up and put it on 2 stars. :D
I'm not a Radec player, but didn't find that trial hard. LV2 super allows for 1 taunt before being pounded to the ground, because it kills all 3 enemies most of the time. Do it 3 times and done, trial clear.

I'm not a Radec player, but didn't find that trial hard. LV2 super allows for 1 taunt before being pounded to the ground, because it kills all 3 enemies most of the time. Do it 3 times and done, trial clear.

I know, i was going for a level 2, but since i don't know his control scheme at all, i'm having a hard time keeping them at bay long enough to do anything worthwile. I did get them with a level 1 once and managed to do a taunt, but after that i kept getting the shit beat out of me. :D

But no worries, i'm sure i'll be able to do it after some practice with him.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I know, i was going for a level 2, but since i don't know his control scheme at all, i'm having a hard time keeping them at bay long enough to do anything worthwile. I did get them with a level 1 once and managed to do a taunt, but after that i kept getting the shit beat out of me. :D

But no worries, i'm sure i'll be able to do it after some practice with him.
Invisible Granade (Down+Square) and Sniper Rifle (Left/Right+Triangle) are all you need. :p

Jawmuncher

Playing through the arcade modes right now . Have to say I'm a little disappointed here. I wasn't wanting anything like SSE on brawl, but was expecting a lot more crossing over with people's stories. So far Nariko, Raiden, and Dante basically have the same story.

I need to be stronger so ill fight all these people. They never even bring up that their in a game which I think makes it less interesting.
In the end though it just doesn't feel like these guys are crossing over story wise.

Jawmuncher

True it's just that Big Daddy just doesn't fit as well with all the Infinite stuff going on. Would have been cool if one of the levels was crossed with rapture of something.

Leezard

Playing through the arcade modes right now . Have to say I'm a little disappointed here. I wasn't wanting anything like SSE on brawl, but was expecting a lot more crossing over with people's stories. So far Nariko, Raiden, and Dante basically have the same story.

I need to be stronger so ill fight all these people. They never even bring up that their in a game which I think makes it less interesting.
In the end though it just doesn't feel like these guys are crossing over story wise.

I think the endings to the story mode are especially dull, since they all pretty much go "Well it appears I had no real reason to fight those fights, but now I have this new power."

SmithnCo

I think they could have made that guy cool if he called in Elizabeth for some attacks, her powers would be interesting in a fighter. But yeah, Big Daddy is more iconic and would interest more potential buyers.

Top Bottom