• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Aesthet1c

Is it just me or is the matchmaking completely broken?

I just started playing this week, I have a rank 40 Dante, and I'm consistently matched up against rank 999 dudes with heavenly glowing belts and they just dominate everyone. I seriously have like 10 online games played and I'm going up against these guys?

It sucks because I don't know any friends to play with so if I want to play with anyone I'm stuck with playing online against these 999's.

Is it just me or is the matchmaking completely broken?

I just started playing this week, I have a rank 40 Dante, and I'm consistently matched up against rank 999 dudes with heavenly glowing belts and they just dominate everyone. I seriously have like 10 online games played and I'm going up against these guys?

It sucks because I don't know any friends to play with so if I want to play with anyone I'm stuck with playing online against these 999's.

Yeah, I have the same problem. Love the game and all, but the online is so broken in so many ways (including matchmaking) that it's kinda silly. It's just a hair better than Brawl's online, and that's saying something.

A workaround for this problem is to back out of matchmaking if it goes from "Opponents found" back to "Searching for Opponents" and try again. I forgot who here came up with this solution, but it seems to work. I've only had the character switch glitch happen to me once or twice in a month of playing the game.
thanks. That seems to work for the most part. Hopefully they fix it soon since I like to browse GAF while searching for opponets and thats hard to do if I need to check and make sure it didn't go back to connecting :lol

Anywayz: Played through arcade modes of Sackboy, Nathan Drake, and Spike, in that order. Starting with characters I have played their games from. (LBP1/2/V, Uncharted1/2/GA, Ape Escape PSP) Of them all, I think I like Spike the best. His sword moves are just awesome imo. Gonna try Cole and Sly next.

Really enjoying online. I know that some people hate smash comparisons, but this is pretty much everything I wanted from Brawl in terms of online. (AKA Actual Online, portability too.) And as a huge Smash fan I am enjoying this. Its also cool that besides the Coles, there are no clones. They all play quite different from what I've seen. And theres even more characters coming as DLC. Kat was the main one I was hoping for, and now that shes confirmed, I hope even more great ones come. I hope they manage to add alot of new characters since I am loving each one even if they come from franchises I 've never even thought about playing.

Napalm, your invites don't show up for me. I keep getting an XMB notice, but i don't get an in-game prompt to join you, neither can i look up the invite under the R2 menu. And why can't i see you logged into PSN on my PS3? I know you're playing on VITA, but that seems odd.

Man, i'm so pissed now. I was 4 points away from a red belt in 2vs2 twice now, once the other night and once tonight and both times i lost about 50 points playing with a random that added me. He was pretty good normally, but tonight he just kept fucking up even against low ranked players, we were losing 6-10 points per match. I even lost 6 points against a higher ranked team once, wtf is that all about? Feels so bad, 1-2 wins and i would've gotten the belt. There's no way i'll climb back up before the end of the season now, not with the guy playing like that. :/

Napalm, your invites don't show up for me. I keep getting an XMB notice, but i don't get an in-game prompt to join you, neither can i look up the invite under the R2 menu. And why can't i see you logged into PSN on my PS3? I know you're playing on VITA, but that seems odd.
Sony.

I couldn't join your invites either. I saw them just fine but it didn't join.

I love how you can't do any communication on Vita while in a party cause it disables all network thingys if you go to the home menu...

So annoying when trying to get games up with friends. Thats a certain plus for ps3 ver.

Well, what do you know, me and my teammate got our shit together, managed to climb back up and finally got to the red belt. What a long and painful climb it was though, it took 2-3 hours. At least now i can rest easy with my red belt. I admire you guys that are able to get black belts like nobody's business, kudos to you! Maybe next time i can go for brown. :)

Sora_N

Got my Plat! I'm glad I saved Toro for last, had fun playing with him. When I have time to play this again I think he'll be my main. :)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
When's the next patch due out?

Also played a round on black rock tonight. Raiden got a kill then him and his buddy just ran away the rest of the round........ are you kidding me? Is this really why you play the game? Is that really the point? Maybe superbot can find a workaround to penalize for playing like that.

edit- Also what determines how far murray goes for sly?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
When's the next patch due out?

Also played a round on black rock tonight. Raiden got a kill then him and his buddy just ran away the rest of the round........ are you kidding me? Is this really why you play the game? Is that really the point? Maybe superbot can find a workaround to penalize for playing like that.

edit- Also what determines how far murray goes for sly?

As infuriating and annoying and gutless as such strats are... that's fighting games! At such a time, you're suppose to stick them into a mindgame, read their movement, smash them into a corner, and beat the tar out of them.

....never is as easy to do as it sounds, sadly.

Online play has shown me the most spineless playstyles ever in games, lol. Would never pull that stuff in traditional couch-co-op, you'd be laughed out the room, the shame of all your friends, and never re-invited to play again, because you're no fun to fight aganist... online though, that's "Strategy!"

And on the Murry Stuff... He seems to occassionally stop at inclines. He can't run off platforms, he stops at their boundaries. Going into practice mode, and trying to call Murry on different platforms and slopes is the best way to get a feel for how he acts in each stage.

Nakiro

As infuriating and annoying and gutless as such strats are... that's fighting games! At such a time, you're suppose to stick them into a mindgame, read their movement, smash them into a corner, and beat the tar out of them.

....never is as easy to do as it sounds, sadly.

Online play has shown me the most spineless playstyles ever in games, lol. Would never pull that stuff in traditional couch-co-op, you'd be laughed out the room, the shame of all your friends, and never re-invited to play again, because you're no fun to fight aganist... online though, that's "Strategy!"

And on the Murry Stuff... He seems to occassionally stop at inclines. He can't run off platforms, he stops at their boundaries. Going into practice mode, and trying to call Murry on different platforms and slopes is the best way to get a feel for how he acts in each stage.
I find that every game has people trying to abuse the system, this game is no different. This is the main reason I really dislike online multiplayer competitive games.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Online play has shown me the most spineless playstyles ever in games, lol. Would never pull that stuff in traditional couch-co-op, you'd be laughed out the room, the shame of all your friends, and never re-invited to play again, because you're no fun to fight aganist...

Sounds like you guys wouldn't be fun to play with at all. I never hated on anything my friends did to go for a win. A win earned is a win earned. You guys probably throw controllers too :p

I find that every game has people trying to abuse the system, this game is no different. This is the main reason I really dislike online multiplayer competitive games.
That would be called playing to win, and playing against others like that is how you get better at said game. I don't see the fun in just randomly mashing out attacks vs each other. Might as well have a pillow fight.

So i've been playing some 2vs2 tonight and we ran into a couple of Germans who i overhear talking about quitting upon seing our character ranks, and so they did. That happened twice in a row and guess what, me and my teammate lost 4 belt points each. Getting punished due to the other team quitting is BS.

SmithnCo

So i've been playing some 2vs2 tonight and we ran into a couple of Germans who i overhear talking about quitting upon seing our character ranks, and so they did. That happened twice in a row and guess what, me and my teammate lost 4 belt points each. Getting punished due to the other team quitting is BS.

Yeah, must be infuriating when you're trying to go for black. Just too much weirdness online to make it really worth it.

The game should give you bonus XP if you manage to "scare" off the other team, not steal points from you! :D
But seriously, we weren't even that far apart going by belts, they just saw a high character rank and abandoned hope. I'm just a red belt after all, can't imagine what it must be like for black belts when they get matched up with lower ranks. The quitting rate must be astronomical.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Yeah, it does happen a lot, but I just never saw people stoop so embarassingly low before Online, lol.

I put up with it, but the people who play in such ways are the least-remembered opponents.

Sounds like you guys wouldn't be fun to play with at all. I never hated on anything my friends did to go for a win. A win earned is a win earned. You guys probably throw controllers too :p

Completly the opposite. (Never have thrown a controller!) I'm a calm player, who likes to have fun, and, generally, I played fighters with a sense of "honor", which is a foreign concept to "play to win" mentality, as is proven over and over, lol.

For example, In 3d fighters, I'd back off pressure at ring-outs, to allow the person to step back in some. If I knew of a glitch, I'd never use it in a serious match...

Even though I've given up being that nice (complete waste of time online, haha), I still dislike even winning by unbalanced abilities.

Doing whatever it takes for the sake of the win isn't satisfying to me, and I find people who play in exploit-filled, gutless ways embarassing, really. It's like paying to watch a boxing match, only for one of the guys to pull out a paintball gun, and shoot his opponent until he gives up.

Gaming gives people a lot of leeway to play as they see fit, but everyone knows these kind of things wouldn't be smiled upon in real sports...

So you're saying if a team ran the same play over and over again and the other team couldn't figure out a way to stop it, the winning team would be frowned upon or embarrassed? I think it's the other way around.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So you're saying if a team ran the same play over and over again and the other team couldn't figure out a way to stop it, the winning team would be frowned upon or embarrassed? I think it's the other way around.

A team that ran around like morons for the entirety of a game would be frowned upon. A team that took every little loophole and exploited them non-stop, caring more about winning, and less about having a good game, should be embarassed.

Really, come on, the best part about sports comes from the interactions between players, and the trained skills that each game holds dear, and tracks stats for. Players who throw all that to the wind, and do the least demanding thing to win, aren't giving anyone a better game. Not the viewers, not the opposing team, not even their teammates.

A team that ran around like morons for the entirety of a game would be frowned upon. A team that took every little loophole and exploited them non-stop, caring more about winning, and less about having a good game, should be embarassed.

Really, come on, the best part about sports cone from the interactions between players, and the trained skills that each game holds dear, and tracks stats for. Players who throw all that to the wind, and do the least demanding thing to win, aren't giving anyone a better game. Not the viewers, not the opposing team, not even their teammates.

Bravo. I can really get behind this, even if I'm a bit of a scumbag player myself.

DigitalOp

Banned
Sooooo, ive been playing on vita for a while now and the game is even more fun on the go!
During my playtime , ive notice a couple things that need addressing....

Dante has a 2 hit infinite combo involving his counter move, its infuriating because the stagger state takes away your mobility

Throws should take away more AP, right now, theyre pretty pointless

The matchmaking needs work, it has a tendency to pair you against people playing with the same character

thats pretty much it though, i can't wait for the dlc!

Question, I want to get the bonus costume DLC, but I wasn't sure if it works on both PS3 and Vita? Like if I bought it on my Vita, could I redownload it on PS3? I know the third party costumes aren't there for some reason (probably contractual BS) but I really want the other costumes.

Question, I want to get the bonus costume DLC, but I wasn't sure if it works on both PS3 and Vita? Like if I bought it on my Vita, could I redownload it on PS3? I know the third party costumes aren't there for some reason (probably contractual BS) but I really want the other costumes.
Well it SHOULD give you for both.

I wish they didn't do stage mashups and that each stage just was it's own level.

I'd rather the hades stage be hades and a separate patapon stage.

Here's hoping next month, two weeks the earliest we get the DLC. :p

My friend loves playing this game after she wasn't really thrilled for it.

I gameshared it to her and she's playing it like everyday and always calling me to invite me in a match(that I just completely obliterate her and her brother in.)

I can't believe they don't give you a score/killboard during a match. It makes matches feel like a chaotic mess with no direction.

There is one for stock and kill limit matches.

You probably are playing Timed for which there is an option but it doesn't work.

I've asked the question here but no one seems to respond to it. The "show score" option in the match options screen doesn't work. It disables once you back out.

I just beat the game with Sir Dan on All star. The game was very easy up until the rival match. Why is it that the difficulty for Arcade mode the same no matter what you choose up until the rivalry match and boss? The game feels way too easy playing through Arcade mode. I can tell it doesn't work because the first match the icon is always blue under the opponent's portrait indicating that it's on the regular difficulty.

There is one for stock and kill limit matches.

You probably are playing Timed for which there is an option but it doesn't work.

I've asked the question here but no one seems to respond to it. The "show score" option in the match options screen doesn't work. It disables once you back out.

Yes it does?

Back out of what?

The score appears on your character icon, on the bottom right. It's very easy to miss

Yes it does?

Back out of what?

The score appears on your character icon, on the bottom right. It's very easy to miss

Like when I'm in the character select screen and I go into match options, I'd put show score on and press "o". Once I check again the settings it's back on disabled. I've tried to put it on and just start a match but I notice nothing.

Like when I'm in the character select screen and I go into match options, I'd put show score on and press "o". Once I check again the settings it's back on disabled. I've tried to put it on and just start a match but I notice nothing.

Have you tried pressing L2 instead or whatever opens the menu?

Nakiro

I think Sackboy has a hit confirm for his lvl 1, forward triangle seems to do the trick. But not charged all the way.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I got the game for my nephews for Christmas and I went back to visit today. Holy crap do they love this game.

No kidding. I just got my copy today and my three kids are loving it. We don't understand any of the nuances, but the fun factor is there. Is it me or is Kratos really over powered for newbies?

No kidding. I just got my copy today and my three kids are loving it. We don't understand any of the nuances, but the fun factor is there. Is it me or is Kratos really over powered for newbies?

Kratos is the easiest character to use so when first timers play he certainly can have an edge.

Anyone up for games?

So the game says a new season has started, but i haven't unlocked any titles in FFA or 2v2. I know some of you had problems with titles at the start of last season, did you ever get yours? Do i have to wait for the leaderboards to get reset first? The "Friends" leaderboard seems to have been wiped clean, but the "World" leaderboard still seems to display last season's scores.

bakedpony

So the game says a new season has started, but i haven't unlocked any titles in FFA or 2v2. I know some of you had problems with titles at the start of last season, did you ever get yours? Do i have to wait for the leaderboards to get reset first? The "Friends" leaderboard seems to have been wiped clean, but the "World" leaderboard still seems to display last season's scores.

No titles for me too. What the hell superbot???

It seems that all the leaderboards still show last season's scores, though for some reason only people that have played the game today show up on them. It's also odd that the main menu says there are 32 days left in this season. I thought 1 month = 1 season, or is that wrong? Maybe the boards and titles will get updated tomorrow. Did Superbot give any response about people not receiving their titles last month?

SSReborn

Happy New Year guys! I had a tournament recently and did absolutely horrible in singles...well, reflecting on it, I'm going to eat crow for a sec and apologize. I was finally able to feel the effects of Sackboy's nerfs that day. Of course I still want to use the character, but I hope when Kat and Emmett are released they'll re-examine Sackboy.

So with that, I guess my PSAS NY resolution is to do better with both Sackboy and Toro as long as the game has a competitive scene here. Depending on what DLC characters there are (*cough*Kiryu*cough*) I'll add them as well!

Today's GameFAQs poll...

PASBRPolloftheDay_zpsa43345a2.png

That's not a bad result by any means.

Top Bottom