• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Question. Does putting the game to stock make it more fair than timed matches? I feel like I a lot of mid tier characters can thrive in an environment in which they don't have to race against the clock

OwlyKnees

Question. Does putting the game to stock make it more fair than timed matches? I feel like I a lot of mid tier characters can thrive in an environment in which they don't have to race against the clock

I think so.

I mean, it doesn't eliminate issues entirely, but it gives players more 'wiggle' room for various tactics. Playing 2v2 exclusively, the timed matches always devolve into rushes and are much less fun.

Of course. Stock allows players to play more at ease, you see more defensive gameplay and other tactics you wouldn't see from a pure timed-mode.

I manage my Supers much better with stock, though mind you, the way I react is relative to how many lives I have remaining XD

Generally speaking, stopping players going for Super 3's involves taking away their lives and forcing a Super 2 out of them because they fear they can't make it without receiving that final blow

Maybe they should have 3 stock matches be the go to in online play then. I honestly have more fun with that in the unranked online than I do in ranked matches.

Aceun

The only problem with stock is that it can take so much longer than timed and kill limit.

I tend to prefer stock because it evens out the playing field and encourages defensive play.

However, matches can drag on...and especially in a 2v2 scenario you always end up with 2v1.

Ryuhza

Banned
I play stock whenever possible. Typical match setting with me and my friends locally is Stock, 9 lives.

We always have a blast.

Camjo-Z

Gamestop is saying that the dlc is a pre order bonus for god of war. I thought Zeus and Isaac just come with the game.

Gamestop also said the Monster Hunter Tri demo disc could only be gotten with pre-orders. They were wrong then too. Zeus and Isaac come in every copy of the game!

SmithnCo

The only problem with stock is that it can take so much longer than timed and kill limit.

I tend to prefer stock because it evens out the playing field and encourages defensive play.

However, matches can drag on...and especially in a 2v2 scenario you always end up with 2v1.

Yeah, I prefer stock way more. Helps the weaker characters when you have time to bait the OP ones.

whitehawk

Banned
Just came across a very weird glitch. On my screen it was a 2v2 match, but on my team mates side, it was a 1v1v1v1 match... I think. Basically I couldn't hurt my team mate naturally, but he was attacking me. He was drake, and even killed me with his level 3 super. It was weird. I got that orange glow you get when he uses the level 3, but my character was still Toro, not a zombie.

It sucked because it was sort of like a 1v3 for me. There was an extra player sort of against me, who was invincible to me, but not vise versa.

OmegaZero

Similar situation. 2 v 1

Me: Heihachi
Vs: Emmett and Sackboy on Dojo.

Guess who lost? :(

Heihachi does have trouble dealing with projectile based characters. I try to make them come to me by using his dash to dodge their attacks.

If that fails, then I try using his bowling pins to force an opening.

This morning, I tweeted out a random request for an Isaac/Zeus code from God of War: Ascension buyers who don't care about All-Stars, and a colleague of mine actually direct messaged me a code five minutes later! It pays to know the right people, I guess. :D

OwlyKnees

What are some practical Jak combos? I understand he's not a combo-centric character in the slightest, with mobility being a large component of his game. The best I can come up with however is down circle, forward square, forward square and down circle, down triangle, forward square, square.

Is that it? I say practical to mean combos that can be done from any location, as even though wall-bounces are practical, they are still situational.

Thanks for any helpful tips, fellows!

OmegaZero

What are some practical Jak combos? I understand he's not a combo-centric character in the slightest, with mobility being a large component of his game. The best I can come up with however is down circle, forward square, forward square and down circle, down triangle, forward square, square.

Is that it? I say practical to mean combos that can be done from any location, as even though wall-bounces are practical, they are still situational.

Have you seen this YouTube video?

It showcases several nice combos for him.

Aceun

My go-to combo if there isn't a lot of chaos is triangle (tilt up), down triangle (3x), up triangle

From there I switch it up, i either do the standard up square, side square (2x) combo, or the mass inverter, or needle lazer.

The initial combo doesn't give much AP, but it does set you up nicely for some of his bigger hits.

Aceun

Wall bounce combos are so impractical for so many stages ;_;

I seriously cant believe that jak cant burst without a wall.

Is he the only one without a wall-free burst?

On a separate note, in a 2v2 situation having Jak is useful burst-wise because he can speed up his partner's burst since many of his attacks chip vs eject. Effectively both characters can get the AP burst off of that.

TheMink

Is he the only one without a wall-free burst?

On a separate note, in a 2v2 situation having Jak is useful burst-wise because he can speed up his partner's burst since many of his attacks chip vs eject. Effectively both characters can get the AP burst off of that.

No, radec too i believe, and maybe ratchet? I forget. I think ratchet doesnt need the wall, ive done one with all characters just have it in my belt but i still forget XD

But it just seems like jak would benefit much more from a burst combo than radec because hes a closer character.

OwlyKnees

What's the consensus on Jak's level 2? Any decent uses? Seems awfully slow, although it has a decent blast range.

Would it be advisable to stick solely to level 1/3?

KalBalboa

Banned
What's the consensus on Jak's level 2? Any decent uses? Seems awfully slow, although it has a decent blast range.

If you've got a corner of enemies bunched up it's a better guarantee than his Level 1, in my experience. Plus, it hits people a few few above and below, too.

Skyzard

Banned
^ Haha, I wouldn't mind if got something for close range like a leg swipe that goes in both directions tbh but that seems a lot more unlikely than number changes.

In my opinion, the best way to balance a fighting game is to make every character overpowered rather than nerf the good characters and keep the mediocre ones mediocre.

Mediocre ones could use bumps but the overpowered ones definitely need nerfing, it's too much. - just adding a small period of time for you to roll away so that hit confirms are less devastating and easily punishing would make me so happy. Just for everyone add 0.05-0.1s time. Or moves that crumple need longer recovery if they can currently hit confirm.

SmithnCo

^ Haha, I wouldn't mind if got something for close range like a leg swipe that goes in both directions tbh but that seems a lot more unlikely than number changes.

Dunno what number I'd change though, his neutral square and triangle attacks give a surprisingly good amount of AP, if you can land them. (Square is very close range and triangle is pretty slow)

He's interesting because he can be very good or way outclassed depending on the mode/stage. Though he is generally bad against fast characters.

Spinluck

This argument is driving me crazy.

There will be times in a FFA or 2v2 match where the circumstances are temporarily that of a 1v1. You and an opponent will be alone at some point.

Is anybody actually getting owned by Good Cole's redirect rocket? You basically avoid it if you're moving quickly don't you? Also question for people that know Cole well enough. What is the hit box for that level 1 super? I swear I've gotten caught in it when I was above Cole before and that's just annoying.

But I do agree Evil Cole is higher tier than good Cole...No matter how much I hate that stupid freeze ball thing

It's a shame that it's driving you crazy, because it's true.

Doesn't mean a thing, just because there are one on one scenarios, doesn't mean one on one are designed well in this game.

Cole's redirect rockets are useful for free for all and 2v2, when one on one they can definitely be utilized. This entirely depends on the stage though.

The level 1 hitbox isn't that far, lag may make it seem that way. As you aren't as far as you think you are on you screen.

Skyzard

Banned
Dunno what number I'd change though, his neutral square and triangle attacks give a surprisingly good amount of AP, if you can land them. (Square is very close range and triangle is pretty slow)

He's interesting because he can be very good or way outclassed depending on the mode/stage. Though he is generally bad against fast characters.

I can usually use his square well enough 1v1 but with other players in the mix I often miss the timing and being so slow I get punished, or get hit from the other side of course. Maybe speed up the recovery on short-range square attacks.

Yeah faster characters are the trouble. Fun character to play though. Love how unique they make most of the players.

TheMink

It's a shame that it's driving you crazy, because it's true.

Doesn't mean a thing, just because there are one on one scenarios, doesn't mean one on one are designed well in this game.

Cole's redirect rockets are useful for free for all and 2v2, when one on one they can definitely be utilized. This entirely depends on the stage though.

The level 1 hitbox isn't that far, lag may make it seem that way. As you aren't as far as you think you are on you screen.

1v1 aint great, but its not as bad as people are making it out to be.
The main complaint is that certain characters have a strong advantage in a 1v1 scenario. However if your not choosing a character with a strong 1v1 game then isnt that just you showing that you are confident enough with your character to not get into the 1v1 situation in the first place? Or to win in a 1v1 despite their disadvantage?

If you are adamant about a bad 1v1 character, then practice the 1v1 ahead of time. If Omega can wreck a Drake and a Kratos with a Radec 2v1 then its hard to see a more difficult situation in which its just 1v1.

Coles lvl 1 can catch you above behind and in front. Not far, but its a pain in the ass. So while not long, i would still argue its a large hit box because of the versatility. Jaks is suppose to be similar but its pretty much just a verticle hit box.

OmegaZero

Wall bounce combos are so impractical for so many stages ;_;

I seriously cant believe that jak cant burst without a wall.

Yeah, it's sad but he's not supposed to be a combo heavy character.
Hopefully his AP gain will be increased in the next update (and maybe a Level 1+2 buff).

SmithnCo

I can usually use his square well enough 1v1 but with other players in the mix I often miss the timing and being so slow I get punished, or get hit from the other side of course. Maybe speed up the recovery on short-range square attacks.

Yeah faster characters are the trouble. Fun character to play though. Love how unique they make most of the players.

Now that I think about it, I think a decent buff would be if his pods landing had knockback. It's hard to set them up when you have say, Kat right on your heels. But if they knocked people away on landing it would give you enough time.

Camjo-Z

Finally some news on a balance patch. Don't fail me now, Seth!

Jak's Level 2 is a horrible, horrible super that should only ever be used near the end of a timed match in desperation. It's up there with Sweet Tooth's Level 2.

BUFF EMMETT? I thought he was that good.

Emmett is unfortunately not as good as I had first thought, his reliance on the ground in a game full of air campers puts him at a severe disadvantage. They need to:

-Remove/lower the free AP from killing his turret since that just discourages Emmetts from calling one of their most useful tools

-Shorten the time it takes to call in drops from either the air or the ground. As it stands Emmett can barely get away from enemies to get new weapons and when he does finally call one in he's an easy target for a combo when he goes to grab it

-Make all drops cause damage like the turret drop does so he can make space to actually get some weapons

-Allow him to call in drops during Level 3's. He can't get AP from a rift extractor or call down any decent weapons during a partner's Level 3 while every other character in the game has access to their full movesets.

I'm hoping for at least one of these changes to be made.

SmithnCo

I forgot about the AP from turrets, yeah that's pretty crappy. The fact that the turret can be destroyed in one strong move AND give the opponent AP makes its usefulness questionable. If it gave less AP or was more durable, it would make for a decent zoning move.

Aceun

Jak's Level 2 is a horrible, horrible super that should only ever be used near the end of a timed match in desperation. It's up there with Sweet Tooth's Level 2.

This pretty much. Either they need to increase this hitbox or make it come out faster. Right now it is up there with Sweet Tooth's 2. I would be okay with no buff to the level 2 if he had some invincibility on his level 1 like most characters. Right now it's way too interruptable.

Top Bottom