• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

OmegaZero

Emmett is unfortunately not as good as I had first thought, his reliance on the ground in a game full of air campers puts him at a severe disadvantage. They need to:

Personally, I find he's pretty effective against air campers (though I agree with the issues you state below). Angled magnum shots, knife combos, shotgun blasts, grenades, even his forward square can be used to great effect against air campers.

TheMink

Yeah, it's sad but he's not supposed to be a combo heavy character.
Hopefully his AP gain will be increased in the next update (and maybe a Level 1+2 buff).

Indeed.
But even so It just seems weird that he cant even get 90 off a non wall bounce. If he gets an AP buff his combos will likely start bursting without a wall though.

OwlyKnees

Hopefully the usage of the term major is accurate to the level of changes within the patch.

Still, though. Changing dynamics from the patch, two entire new characters and a new stage on the same day? It's going to be a fun time.

TheMink

Hopefully the usage of the term major is accurate to the level of changes within the patch.

Still, though. Changing dynamics from the patch, two entire new characters and a new stage on the same day? It's going to be a fun time.

Honestly if it doesnt get perfectly balanced after this patch (unlikely anyway) i just hope that there are several new kingpins haha.

SIR DAN TORO BIG DADDY OP!!!!!!

Then i can play as Kratos and Raiden again :p

OwlyKnees

Honestly if it doesnt get perfectly balanced after this patch (unlikely anyway) i just hope that there are several new kingpins haha.

SIR DAN TORO BIG DADDY OP!!!!!!

Then i can play as Kratos and Raiden again :p

Haha, yeah, that's what I'm actually looking forward to most. Something to change it up, a new broken move!

Camjo-Z

Personally, I find he's pretty effective against air campers (though I agree with the issues you state below). Angled magnum shots, knife combos, shotgun blasts, grenades, even his forward square can be used to great effect against air campers.

Aside from the grenades, those either are really short ranged or are very punishable on a dodge. The bigger problem, I think, is that unlike other ranged characters like Radec and Ratchet, Emmett has no solid way of getting said campers away from him. Ratchet has the whip + Warmonger rocket as well as sniper, Radec has his beloved sniper rifle and anti-air electric attacks, and Emmett has.... well, nothing that good to get people off him, aside from the rockets - but to use those you have to have already gotten away and set up a pod to get them from.

If they implement at least two of the changes I suggested then it would make all of the things you listed a whole lot more viable since he'd have either turrets or drops to keep opponents at bay as well as those tools.

Can't wait for this patch. In many ways I'm more excited for that than I am Isaac and Zeus. Well, no, in every way.

Mink, did your source ever clarify his comment about All-Stars not being worked on? Did he just mean himself, or all of SSM? I wonder if this big balancing/bug-fixing patch was in the works at SuperBot before they broke from Sony, or if SSM put it together themselves...

TheMink

Can't wait for this patch. In many ways I'm more excited for that than I am Isaac and Zeus. Well, no, in every way.

Mink, did your source ever clarify his comment about All-Stars not being worked on? Did he just mean himself, or all of SSM? I wonder if this big balancing/bug-fixing patch was in the works at SuperBot before they broke from Sony, or if SSM put it together themselves...

Not yet, but i personally think that the fact a big patch is coming with Zeus and Issac is a good sign that SSM is going to be working on it.

But its also possible that patch was already ready before Superbot bit the dust.

I really hope to see a fix for

"Rare freezing issue experienced by some players now fixed"

because this is the one thing keeping me from playing PS All Stars. And I Desperately want to play.

OmegaZero

Aside from the grenades, those either are really short ranged or are very punishable on a dodge. The bigger problem, I think, is that unlike other ranged characters like Radec and Ratchet, Emmett has no solid way of getting said campers away from him. Ratchet has the whip + Warmonger rocket as well as sniper, Radec has his beloved sniper rifle and anti-air electric attacks, and Emmett has.... well, nothing that good to get people off him, aside from the rockets - but to use those you have to have already gotten away and set up a pod to get them from.

If they implement at least two of the changes I suggested then it would make all of the things you listed a whole lot more viable since he'd have either turrets or drops to keep opponents at bay as well as those tools.

Ah, keep away moves.
I usually use square square in midair, or his up square combo followed by revolver juggling. Which isn't much, admittedly but they've worked for me so far.

I usually don't even use his drops until I get a Level 1 and want to kill someone. :b
I just use his revolver and then switch to melee attacks/throw combos when they start catching on to my attack patterns.

Aceun

As an air camper (I'm not proud of it), I find it really hard to approach Emmetts. Once the turret is down and he has his shotgun loadout, it's really difficult to deal with his sticky mine zoning.

I hope the patch addresses the PaRappa glitch. That is a big one. Other than that, I'd like to see a fix to the games dropping out from the host leaving. That one annoys me like no other.

Of course the various nerfs/buffs will be welcome. We all already know what those are.

Who knows, I might even jumped back into Ranked if the balances are solid and the belt system works the way it's supposed to.

Edit: Ryce I didn't see that! Lovely additions :) I'm excited (Systems changes???)

Hellion

Can someone help me tips on who is top tier and who's not???

I've been maining Raiden,Sweet tooth,Drake

Nariko has the worst lvl 1+2

SmithnCo

I agree on Nariko. They really need to fix it.

Raiden, Drake, Kratos, and recently Kat have all been said to be top tier, with Sly and the Coles being high up. Fat Princess may be up there but nobody talks about her.

Viable hit confirms play a big part in who is top tier (eg. Raiden, Kat), and Drake is just really good at controlling space with the barrels and AK move.

Aceun

I stand by the Five (as my list of top/broken tier)

Nate
- The Barrel affords him maximum control over space on any stage
- No startup on moves, especially slide
- None of his supers have a notable weakness

Raiden
- Fast startup on combos which can lead into hit confirms
- Devastating confirms which include cross screen confirm and counter confirm
- None of his supers have a notable weakness

Kratos
- Fast start up on combos which lead to high AP build
- Low cooldown on most moves

Sly
- Counter with little to no cooldown and doubles up as a confirm
- Fairly spammable moves with little punishment on whiffs

Cole(s)
- Devastating confirms including Giga Punch for Evil Cole and combo based confirms

I would add Kat and Fatty P, but considering their approach has gaps, I am inclined to have them be the next in line tier-wise, but I personally do not consider them terribly frustrating to fight.

Oh hell yes. This patch could literally be a game-changer. I'm so excited. :)

Not yet, but i personally think that the fact a big patch is coming with Zeus and Issac is a good sign that SSM is going to be working on it.

But its also possible that patch was already ready before Superbot bit the dust.

Cool. Yeah, I'd like to think this means we can afford to be a little hopeful!

TheMink

Changes to all characters?

Thats great news.

However that kinda makes me worried for Dante. If they "fix" his empty cancel or his hunger loop im going to be severely disappointed.

I can only hope that changes are all buffs haha. Although the only thing that i think he would greatly benafit from is the ability to cancel out of a blocked square square square combo. Dante is (one of?) the only character that cant turn around or stop with few repercussions in the middle of a combo (Raiden Kratos)
Youre screwed if youre blocked.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Changes to all characters?

Thats great news.

However that kinda makes me worried for Dante. If they "fix" his empty cancel or his hunger loop im going to be severely disappointed.

I can only hope that changes are all buffs haha. Although the only thing that i think he would greatly benafit from is the ability to cancel out of a blocked square square square combo. Dante is (one of?) the only character that cant turn around or stop with few repercussions in the middle of a combo (Raiden Kratos)
Youre screwed if youre blocked.

I want Dante's Cancel to be fixed.

pantsmith

Anyone have any good Toro videos to recommend?

I'm sitting at level 999 with Toro at the moment, but I just cannot get any complex combos or level 1s down reliably. Bugs me that I'm so much better with other characters, even though I like them less.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think Dante's empty cancels need to be in the game...
Is like you're Dodge Canceling like in DmC lol

:(

I'd accept a nerf if they gave him more weapons from DmC to compensate. Or if they made his guns actually useful by themselves (the guns are really only there to allow him to cancel attacks).

Sweet, Dante losing tier ranks incoming.

I'm okay with giving up 1 bar + level 1 combo with kat if they nerf dante's empty cancel.

Seems like it happens more often than not, for me.

It happened to me almost all of time.

TheMink

A common complaint I get is that my combos "take forever".

Such complaints fill me with inconsolable rage.
People really need to play some fighting games like MvC and come back to All Stars then we will see how much more patient they are.

Still, maybe they are making Dante faster :D
One can dream.

Ploid 3.0

I don't care about combo length, but when there combos are bloody easy to start from me blinking after avoiding their touch of death for 2 minutes, and end with them a full meter from 0. Knowing that one more blink and they've gained a point all while I work my butt off trying to get meter myself.

I end up jumping often trying to stay off the ground in case I get touched, but I can't do much in the air and Kat can actually do a good opener in the air (gravity grab, magic magic, boom). I hate Kat's field of protection aura, not only does it usually break the one chance I get at starting a 3 hit combo or whatever, but it seems vital for her to have for that level 1 super setup. It don't always vanish when you hit her, you must knock her back or something with a large enough hit it seem.

I played a ton of U/MVC3, S/SF4. Kat feels like playing a Vergil with double meter gain on combos, while you're Mayor of Earth with a slowed down meter. Sometimes you might get wins but it's so much work, while Vergil is effortlessly comboing into supers like it's chewing gum. You get a penalty for being big, and Kat screws up your combos since she's small. So much going for her, tooo bad she ends up facing the wrong way when she rolls. Bummer.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Why exactaly do you hate it?

I don't really hate it but I'm not sure If I caught it correctly during hectic battles, but did Dante can build 1 bar and able to use level 1 in one combo right? I noticed that every single time I got caught in combo, he was able to build enough bar to kill me off in single combo.

Such complaints fill me with inconsolable rage.
People really need to play some fighting games like MvC and come back to All Stars then we will see how much more patient they are.

Still, maybe they are making Dante faster :D
One can dream.

Exactly, I'm not complaining about length of combo.

ZodR_ARG

Neo Member
i still don't get why people complain so much about some stuff...
for example Dante and his empty cancels, since he's on the ground while comboing that way, he can get interrupted for a full combo by some random asshole(kratos) or even killed...
and Kat... the hitboxes for her attacks are so small that you can just use one of your attacks and it won't even trade, you just beat her out of her attack

btw, dante has no other way to build meter other tan combos and his projectiles are just crap, i just want him to be able to turn around while using neutral square

OmegaZero

I don't really hate it but I'm not sure If I caught it correctly during hectic battles, but did Dante can build 1 bar and able to use level 1 in one combo right? I noticed that every single time I got caught in combo, he was able to build enough bar to kill me off in single combo.

I was just suggesting a possible concern. :b

Anyway, as far as I know, Dante cannot build enough AP to kill you during a combo IF he has no meter. If he has more then 20 AP, he'll probably be able to build up enough meter to kill you in a combo if no one interrupts it.
Then again, like Heihachi, Dante is a ground based character (with terrible cooldown on his normals). If you're in the air, or if you have a solid defense, Dantes will have a really tough time building meter.

Fat Princess is really frustrating to fight as Dante because of this. ._.

TheMink

Exactly, I'm not complaining about length of combo.

Yeah, but not from zero AP, (but Kat cant do that either she needs at least 20 also i think) as Omega said, youve got to have at least 20 already.

But its probably the hardest loop in the game, and 100% impossible in anything but 1v1. And if its being a addressed just because of 1v1 there 100 other things that i would address before that in 1v1 :p

Top Bottom