• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Those are all buffs except the first one

The buffs are rather inconsiquencial compared to the nerfs (his Level 3 became more obsolete and his best utility move became bad). The change in aerial dynamics don't really help either :/

Plus his hitbox and roll are still ridiculously awful, but I guess that can't really be helped ;P

TheMink

Hm...

So some air attack confirms might be out the window...

Drake nerfed pretty decently, lol

Emmett 2 super reduction is okay... Nothing too special for him. Kat's changes are a bit tame, she's still very good.

Huh, seems like all air confirms are out.

Based on what im reading, Dante can still empty cancel but it doesnt seem likely he will be able to hit confirm is super 1 with it because the empty cancel technically puts him into the air.
So putting Dante to zero confirms if thats how that will work.

But seeing as how no one can confirm from the air it seems totally fair to me. Especially with the reductions to his super 1 and 2. Likely sticking with the 2 from now on. I think ill be able to combo that one somehow.

Interesting... I haven't played this in a while thanks to gaming on the PC a lot and my vita being unable to download the latest updates due to size constraints.

I wish they would add 1v1 though. As for the patch notes these sound pretty good. I think I'm going to play a bit more.

SmithnCo

Huh, seems like all air confirms.

Based on what im reading, Dante can still empty cancel but it doesnt seem likely he will be able to hit confirm is super 1 with it because the empty cancel technically puts him into the air.
So putting Dante to zero confirms if thats how that will work.

But seeing as how no one can confirm from the air it seems totally fair to me. Especially with the reductions to his super 1 and 2. Likely sticking with the 2 from now on. I think ill be able to combo that one somehow.

This is a bit worrying for Sweet Tooth and Nariko, two I play who have air confirms. Nariko especially because it's like her only confirm, it sucks but it confirms.

But, I have a feeling they might give her some good buffs... Faster level 1 and 2 is a must.

TheMink

This is a bit worrying for Sweet Tooth and Nariko, two I play who have air confirms. Nariko especially because it's like her only confirm, it sucks but it confirms.

But, I have a feeling they might give her some good buffs... Faster level 1 and 2 is a must.

Hopefully most people lose their ground confirms, like Raiden obviously just lost his air confirms thank god, but he still has multiple ground confirms that should be lost.

But Evil Cole still seems to have that ground confirm. Irritating if true, but not the biggest deal.

Edit: actually, it does seem like its gone. It has higher recovery time.

SmithnCo

Hopefully most people lose their ground confirms, like Raiden obviously just lost his air confirms thank god, but he still has multiple ground confirms that should be lost.

But Evil Cole still seems to have that ground confirm. Irritating if true, but not the biggest deal.

Edit: actually, it does seem like its gone. It has higher recovery time.

Yeah, they nerfed E. Cole's punch in pretty much every way, which is nice.

Seems a lot of the interesting notes will come out tomorrow, Raiden, Kratos, etc. It could potentially really change the game.

OmegaZero

So Dante can still empty cancel combo just like before, but now he can't kill confirm from it unless he has a Level 2

Glad to see my combos are still intact.

--- Dante can change his facing direction between attacks during his Square and Forward Square Combo

OMG DANTE FOR TOP TIER CONFIRMED

--- Down Square (Helm Breaker) generates 20 AP now (previously 10)

OMG OMG

--- Up Triangle has 2 more frames before Dante can cancel into the Counter (Neutral Circle)

lol dat ghetto cancel nerf

--- Level 1 Super cost reduced to 125 (previously 150)
--- Level 2 Super cost reduced to 325 (previously 400)

OMG OMG OMG

Evil Cole
--- Up Throw trajectory changed to no longer allow guaranteed follow up into Level 1 Super

Awesome.

Fat Princess
--- If Fat Princess summons any assists in the air she will land in the Attack Land state instead of the normal land state

Super awesome.

Can't wait to see Kratos, Raiden and Sly.

TheMink

So Dante can still empty cancel combo just like before, but now he can't kill confirm from it unless he has a Level 2

Glad to see my combos are still intact.

OMG DANTE FOR TOP TIER CONFIRMED

OMG OMG

lol dat ghetto cancel nerf

OMG OMG OMG

Awesome.

Super awesome.

Can't wait to see Kratos, Raiden and Sly.

Me and you man, pretty exciting. Thats the buff i was hoping for!!

OmegaZero

Me and you man, pretty exciting. Thats the buff i was hoping for!!

Yep.
With the air camping nerf, I'll be able to use Dante and Heihachi a lot more easily against characters like Fat Princess.

Other things I'm looking forward to:
-Radec changes.
-Sweet Tooth changes.
-Sir Dan changes.

Some things that I'm not too excited about:
-Dat Emmet buff. What about his drops?
-Barely nerfed Kat.

EDIT:
yay! good cole's frost shield is usable now??

It was usable before if you had good timing. Jumping circle really helped me against Drakes.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
i still don't get why people complain so much about some stuff...
for example Dante and his empty cancels, since he's on the ground while comboing that way, he can get interrupted for a full combo by some random asshole(kratos) or even killed...
and Kat... the hitboxes for her attacks are so small that you can just use one of your attacks and it won't even trade, you just beat her out of her attack

btw, dante has no other way to build meter other tan combos and his projectiles are just crap, i just want him to be able to turn around while using neutral square

I guess that you don't really play 2 vs 2 or 1 vs 1, because that's when it would happens often.

I was just suggesting a possible concern. :b

Anyway, as far as I know, Dante cannot build enough AP to kill you during a combo IF he has no meter. If he has more then 20 AP, he'll probably be able to build up enough meter to kill you in a combo if no one interrupts it.
Then again, like Heihachi, Dante is a ground based character (with terrible cooldown on his normals). If you're in the air, or if you have a solid defense, Dantes will have a really tough time building meter.

Fat Princess is really frustrating to fight as Dante because of this. ._.

Yeah, but not from zero AP, (but Kat cant do that either she needs at least 20 also i think) as Omega said, youve got to have at least 20 already.

But its probably the hardest loop in the game, and 100% impossible in anything but 1v1. And if its being a addressed just because of 1v1 there 100 other things that i would address before that in 1v1 :p

Well, it can happens in 2 vs 2 if Dante have incredible good partner because it happened to me few times when his partner kept my partner away from Dante. It happened occasionally, but thankful not that often.

OmegaZero

I guess that you don't really play 2 vs 2 or 1 vs 1, because that's when it would happens often.
Well, it can happens in 2 vs 2 if Dante have incredible good partner because it happened to me few times when his partner kept my partner away from Dante. It happened occasionally, but thankful not that often.

I got good news for you then. :D
The new balance changes negate Dante's ability to kill someone with his Level 1 after an empty cancel. He can still pull off stylish combos, but can't follow it up with a Level 1 super.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I got good news for you then. :D
The new balance changes negate Dante's ability to kill someone with his Level 1 after an empty cancel. He can still pull off stylish combos, but can't follow it up with a Level 1 super.

I think it's very reasonable nerf and Dante kept Empty Cancel so I'm fine with it. Thank you for the update. :) Also I think it will allow Dante to have mind games with 2 vs 2. You will have chance to kill partner if he tried to rescue his partner in dante's combo.

Camjo-Z

These are some decent changes, the Drake and Fat Princess nerfs will definitely change up their playstyles. Only one I'm a little disappointed with is the lack of any meaningful changes to Emmett but perhaps with the overall nerfed air camping he'll fare a bit better against opponents.

I almost wish Seth had started at the other end of the alphabet though, all the characters I really want to see the changes for are tomorrow... (PaRappa, Sir Dan, Spike, Sly, Kratos, Raiden)

KevinCow

Banned
What the hell at Big Daddy. Seems like they gave him more nerfs than buffs. Nerfing his air charge? That move is his bread & butter. It's already plenty slow. :/

Oh well, it sounds like made his level 1 actually usable now.

Can't wait to see the Kratos, Raiden, and Sly nerfs. And hopefully Sir Dan got some better buffs than Big Daddy.

SSReborn

Woah these are a lot of changes and this is only Part 1? Seems like they are going to touch every character in some way. This game is gonna feel way different come the 19th.

SmithnCo

Woah these are a lot of changes and this is only Part 1? Seems like they are going to touch every character in some way. This game is gonna feel way different come the 19th.

Yeah, they confirmed they are changing every character in some way.

Using Nariko for a bit and I hope they make her 1 and 2 better in some way obviously, and possibly faster startup on certain attacks after chain pull. It's just not very good setup if people can dodge out of it every time.

Man these changes will certainly change the game.

Who is responsible for them? SKillian? Or other SMS employees?

I like a good shakeup! Game needed it. Happy to see my Big Daddy receive some buffs, I completely feel his Supers needed some buffs and am glad they received it (though personally I think his Super 2 was fine-- most failed due to poor timing). Absolutely believe his Super 3 deserved the buffs it got to make him a contender, as his Super 1 requires a lot of luck/timing and his Super 2 is easy to see and dodge. In that sense, glad to see his Super 1 is also solid.

So happy to see Fat P get her Super 3 buffed too.

Very excited to see changes to Sweet Tooth (I am too paranoid about changing him too much, I love him the way he is, but would love some of his brutality from the beta with the square attacks).

Drake getting some solid Super 1 nerfing! That thing's range was too much.

I think generally, having a reliable super 1, good super 2, and beastly Super 3 is a safe way to balance supers. What do you guys think?? I mean, if the game is balanced in a way that super 1's require timing and a bit of luck, super 2's requiring some situational setups, and super 3's reaping high kills, wouldn't the economy of the system be more scaled?

I hope this patch somehow rids of my freezing problem I've experienced twice now.

--- Characters can not Block or Evade until frame 5 after landing during an air attack; Previously they were able to do so on the first frame if landing during air attacks

Does this mean air attacks are more prone? If you wiff an air attack, you leave yourself open for a super?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Man these changes will certainly change the game.

Who is responsible for them? SKillian? Or other SMS employees?

I like a good shakeup! Game needed it. Happy to see my Big Daddy receive some buffs, I completely feel his Supers needed some buffs and am glad they received it (though personally I think his Super 2 was fine-- most failed due to poor timing). Absolutely believe his Super 3 deserved the buffs it got to make him a contender, as his Super 1 requires a lot of luck/timing and his Super 2 is easy to see and dodge. In that sense, glad to see his Super 1 is also solid.

So happy to see Fat P get her Super 3 buffed too.

Very excited to see changes to Sweet Tooth (I am too paranoid about changing him too much, I love him the way he is, but would love some of his brutality from the beta with the square attacks).

Drake getting some solid Super 1 nerfing! That thing's range was too much.

I think generally, having a reliable super 1, good super 2, and beastly Super 3 is a safe way to balance supers. What do you guys think?? I mean, if the game is balanced in a way that super 1's require timing and a bit of luck, super 2's requiring some situational setups, and super 3's reaping high kills, wouldn't the economy of the system be more scaled?

I hope this patch somehow rids of my freezing problem I've experienced twice now.

Does this mean air attacks are more prone? If you wiff an air attack, you leave yourself open for a super?

Basically, yes if I understand it correctly.

Yeah essentially if you whiff your air attack its easier to punish now.

Well then I hope to god Sweet Tooth gains his shoulder bash and ground stomp back, because I cant rely on the Lv 1 hit confirm with that risk lol

I'd rather they beef back his attacks than touch his supers TBH. Yeah, his super 2 sucks, but he can more than make up for it with everything else, generally speaking.

I really like the general idea of buffing weaker characters and stripping top tier characters of their excessive capabilities. Sounds like the game is going to benefit a lot

I think they screwed it already with this:

Characters have been standardized to not be able to Super until frame 12 after landing during an air attack

Lord knows they have to buff him somehow after that.

Oh, right :(

SmithnCo

Well then I hope to god Sweet Tooth gains his shoulder bash and ground stomp back, because I cant rely on the Lv 1 hit confirm with that risk lol

I think they screwed it already with this:

Characters have been standardized to not be able to Super until frame 12 after landing during an air attack

Lord knows they have to buff him somehow after that.

Wow, is this our version 2013? This will be interesting, but I'm extremely scared for Sackboy's electric trap now, especially the air version. Ughhh...well this makes me want to play the game again at least.

Aceun

Level 3 buff for Fatty P FINALLY!!!!

Seems like a lot of these changes discourages air camping, spamming and hit confirms, which means I'm even more excited to see what happens to Kratos and Raiden.

This will definitely force people to play slightly differently. I may actually go back to Fatty P now.

Aceun

Oh thank god Evil Cole and Dante buffs. Finally! Maybe people will actually use them now... phew.

What the fuck?

Dante buff makes sense because of the stuff they've seen in the telemetry system. He is one of the low tier characters.

E. Cole makes NO sense, because people don't use his level 2 because they can easily confirm his level 1, not because it sucked or anything.

SSReborn

So do you guys have more confidence that SSM is actually gonna support this through the way of DLC? I'm kinda starting to gain a little hope again. With how substantial this patch is it seems as if they are actually trying to reignite the game. I mean if they were gonna leave it to die why go through all the trouble they could have literally made a small patch fixed a few things and called it a day but they are making a huge patch.

KalBalboa

Banned
So do you guys have more confidence that SSM is actually gonna support this through the way of DLC? I'm kinda starting to gain a little hope again. With how substantial this patch is it seems as if they are actually trying to reignite the game. I mean if they were gonna leave it to die why go through all the trouble they could have literally made a small patch fixed a few things and called it a day but they are making a huge patch.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm glad to see they're keeping it alive.

Aceun

I'm confident, but with a good dose of skepticism for healthy measure. This major patch makes me hopeful, because to your point they could have left it to die.

I wonder if they wanted to get Isaac and Zeus out of the way because of Dead Space and Ascension. They also seem like the least likely to get major buzz by way of characters if they are toying with more DLC.

If that is the case, I wouldn't be surprised to see a surprise DLC announcement at e3. Still, I've been burned before so I'll just keep that in the pipe dream category for now.

Speaking of pipe dreams, what i would love to see is a "ultimate" edition of this on ps4 with all the characters and new stages, alongside all the gnarly video sharing stuff integrated. That could be really cool for this community and set the bar for next gen fighting games.

Ploid 3.0

Dante buff makes sense because of the stuff they've seen in the telemetry system. He is one of the low tier characters.

E. Cole makes NO sense, because people don't use his level 2 because they can easily confirm his level 1, not because it sucked or anything.

I used his level 1 (had to find ways to use it, punch being one, getting lucky when knocking someone down catching them as they got up being the other) because I was forced to. If I made it to his level 2 it was a penalty for me I thought, making it to level 3 means I could have possibly won by then if I didn't screw up and get level 2. I mainly 1v1, I don't get setups with his punch, maybe it's a 4player thing and people aren't paying attention to him. The most I get out of charged punch is a knock back after hitting the person as they are off the ground. I try to do the second method, or try to catch the enemy as they are jumping towards me somehow (I waste a lot of level 1s, but it's better than trying to get level 2 only to lose everything on the eventual wiff (though I sometimes do the opponent wakeup super with level 2). I actually moved over to good Cole because his abilities come out faster, and his level 2 is usable, level 3 being good enough to at least get 1 kill (1v1).

Again, E.Cole users had no choice but level 1.

The nerfs and buffs seem kinda tame at the moment. Maybe it will be better understood in person. I really hate Drakes barrels, I'd try to interrupt him as he spit one out the best I can because those things stay on screen a long time, if they despawn faster does that me he can spam them more effectively? I guess I better start using him if so. He's a darn good character.

Really excited about the patch, can't wait to see the rest of the notes tomorrow. Those will cover most of the characters I'm interested in hearing about.

Man, they KILLED Drake... it was necessary, though, and I say that as a Drake player. They just better do the same to Raiden and Kratos. I can't believe Evil Cole got a buff... nice to see the Dante buff, though. The Big Daddy buff scares me... I know he's low-tier as is, but my buddy is scary great with him, and this patch is just going to make him even harder to beat.

Really interested to see what they do to PaRappa and Nariko.

Honest question: am I silly for kinda-sorta holding out hope for the pipe dream that Lightning will be announced as DLC later this year as a marketing tie-in with Lightning Returns? :p

Ploid 3.0

If they really did make it easier to punish people that do air attacks a lot and pretty much live in the air trying to get that super setup off of a slant kick or something, great. Though I think instead of blocking or trying to roll after landing the person will just jump again, which is what I'm used to fighting. Staying on the ground is even more of a penalty now. Missed your air attack/setup? Jump and immediately air dodge to be safe from punishment. Or if Kat use the both sides throw, or awesome kick of doom, or gravity grab, those will probably work.

I look forward to seeing how the changes effect the game. Less random landing super 1's after chasing someone that jumps a lot for my Coles though.

Does this mean no more FP air hit confirm? Is that how long the knockdown effect of the attack lasts? I don't know how i feel about that, it has been my main weapon against annoying hard to pin down characters with her. I suppose i could follow up with a short combo including the ground knight for a confirm. Seeing as how a light breeze will knock her out of her level 1, she does need some kind of confirm for it, or it will be nearly useless. With that said, it probably is a good thing air knight spamming got nerfed a bit. Which brings me to this:

--- If Fat Princess summons any assists in the air she will land in the Attack Land state instead of the normal land state

What does this mean in practice?

At least they buffed her godawful level 3, before celebrating i'll have to see how many kills it can net you now though.

I won't bitch about the nerfs to my main characters before i try them, but seeing them on paper, they better hit Kratos, Raiden and Sly with nerfs of the same order of magnitude.

KevinCow

Banned
I won't bitch about the nerfs to my main characters before i try them, but seeing them on paper, they better hit Kratos, Raiden and Sly with nerfs of the same order of magnitude.

It is odd how they've distributed the changes, with low and mid tier characters getting some nerfs and high tier characters getting some buffs. But the way they hit Drake pretty hard gives me hope that they'll make the proper changes to those three.

Patch note analyzing time!

Big Daddy gets long awaited lv 1 buff but i feel like this wont do much. Also we can escape level 3 easier now lol.

Good Cole got buffs? Ummmm ok? Also now that lv 3 tornado is faster, maybe it could be one of the best, since you just cannot escape that tornado and if its fast enough to go easily from side to side. Guarenty 6 kills. .-. Naaaaaah they probably didnt do that.

As long as Dante doesnt get kill confirms and semi infs with those buffs for empty cancels you can do whatever you want with him. Althou yes that lv2 did deserve smaller AP requirement.

Drake got heavy nerfed. GOOD

Lol. Emmett buff. Lol

I can understand buffing Evil Coles lv 2 and making it actually drain AP but i swear to god if he still has that kill confirm with Giga Punch i am gonna....

Ah they nerfed Fat Ps spammy minions. While i never thought Fat P was the best i think she was one of the most annoying spammers ingame. Easily worse than Radec.

Heihachi got small things so not much to say about that.

Jak. Ah i see they buffed most of the moves but not all. Oh well its a good st-oh who am i kidding. THEY FKING NERFED JAK. WHAT. DOWN CIRCLE AND FORWARD TRIANGLE. My god if they wont work properly or good enough Jak will seriously enter as one of the worst characters ingame.....

Kat got mini nerf and it looks like she got just fixed from glitches. K.

Wellp thats that. Hopefully Sir Dan gets that 40 AP from 3x normal squre move. Deliver developers. Deliver...

Top Bottom