• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

have you guys seen that move of raidens where he kinda throws the sword on the air and catches it with his feet?

any idea how thats done?

edit: nvm. got it. shit- now I'm getting the feel of raiden.

Misterhbk

Sackboy is so fucking broken. his level 3 is ridiculous. I've only ever seen one strategy used with him.

Sit in corner behind electric tile/pad thing, put fan up and toss the purple blob crap. eventually build to a level 3 and get 6+ kills every time.

TheMink

Sackboy is so fucking broken. his level 3 is ridiculous. I've only ever seen one strategy used with him.

Sit in corner behind electric tile/pad thing, put fan up and toss the purple blob crap. eventually build to a level 3 and get 6+ kills every time.

Thats what radec does too. Thats his whole game.

Archon473

There's a leaderboard for each online tournament "season", but that's it.

So Tournament mode is an online-only mode? There are a ton of unlocks related to winning X number of tournaments with a certain color belt. Am I to understand such unlocks are earned via online play?
BLAST IT! I only want to play offline!

Nakiro

There's a bit more to it but more or less that's about it.
I've seen few people pull of some nice combos but most ust sit in a corner and become a nuisance.

So Tournament mode is an online-only mode? There are a ton of unlocks related to winning X number of tournaments with a certain color belt. Am I to understand such unlocks are earned via online play?
BLAST IT! I only want to play offline!
Those unlock are only concerning your profile which if you're not playing online are useless.
So playing purely online is possible, however.. online is fun.

Misterhbk

There's a bit more to it but more or less that's about it.
I've seen few people pull of some nice combos but most ust sit in a corner and become a nuisance.

funny thing about it is that most of the people I've been playing against (randoms) always ignore sackboy. I'm always the only one trying to get him out of his corner. ugh

Noi

Thats what radec does too. Thats his whole game.

False. I WISH Radec had a shock panel that persisted forever and covered in front of me and attacks that were indendepent from me. The blobs and cake even fully block Sniper shots. :/

SmithnCo

When you see Sackboy about to do a three, just try to get as high and as far away from anyone else as possible, sometimes works.

Of course, this is where his portal comes in handy to teleport across the screen. ;p

Archon473

Those unlock are only concerning your profile which if you're not playing online are useless. So playing purely online is possible, however.. online is fun.

Gotcha, the icon/background things only affect your online displayed profile. That's good to know I don't need a ton of online tournament wins to unlock minions or anything like that. I will definitely play online occasionally (at least for trophies) but I do not want to grind for unlocks (my connection sucks even with this game's good netcode).

False. I WISH Radec had a shock panel that persisted forever and covered in front of me and attacks that were indendepent from me. The blobs and cake even fully block Sniper shots. :/

You said you noticed buffs compared to Radec's beta version. Can you detail them? The Style Exhibition Superbot just released shows a combo I know was not possible in the beta, which is up throw>forward jump Neutral Square Square>double jump Neutral Square Square>Up Triangle

When everyone's broken, no one will be.

Mwahaha

Amusingly, this is how Super Turbo works.

Misterhbk

Kratos is broken. Radec is broken. Sly is overpowered. Raiden is broken. Sackboy is broken. Hmm I wonder who's next. Parappa, maybe?

I've no issues with Radec. He's easily countered with grabs once you get up close. Its more difficult to do that with sackboy because of the electric tile.

I don't think Kratos is broken, more overpowered. He gets his supers way to quickly, other than that he's not a big issue.

Sly overpowered? Since when????

Noi

Correction, radec kinda does that
Elaborate, cause I'm 100% sure that's not the case. The major thing is that Sackboy's attacks constantly persist, way longer than anything Radec has, and they''re fully independent while Sackboy can still move around whIle protected by other traps. Radec has noting like that.

J-Tier

Sly was considered OP in the early beta, but he had been nerfed since then, regardless, his invisibility + quick meter gain still makes him an annoyance for those who wait in stealth and throw out level 1's. I can pretty much dodge those easily though as that's how I used to play Sly--once you hear the start up, just dodge.

After playing for some time, I gravitated towards Ratchet. Didn't think I'd like such a technical character with lots of tools, but it just felt natural.

Lord Phol

I've no issues with Radec. He's easily countered with grabs once you get up close. Its more difficult to do that with sackboy because of the electric tile.

I don't think Kratos is broken, more overpowered. He gets his supers way to quickly, other than that he's not a big issue.

Sly overpowered? Since when????

I think most of the complains comes from FFA where you can really feel it at times. I had a game where a Radec pulled like 10 lvl 1s and scored 1-2 kills everytime. Even though I tried to get to him I was constantly pushed away and chaing grabbed by the other two. Same with sly who's level 1 can just rape. But then again FFA is FFA :p. I wouldn't call them broken either, just annoying.

I'm just going over the list of characters that have been called top/broken/overpowered from the beta until now, I'm not being entirely serious. XD I'm just curious about how this metagame will shift over the next few months.

I can be sure that Q will make Ratchet look broken though, going by what I've heard of him in other games.

I guess I wouldn't mind Sackboy getting a small AP nerd but all of his traps are destroyable...if you use a sword :(

Misterhbk

Elaborate, cause I'm 100% sure that's not the case. The major thing is that Sackboy's attacks constantly persist, way longer than anything Radec has, and they''re fully independent while Sackboy can still move around whIle protected by other traps. Radec has noting like that.

I have to agree with this. Once you get close to Raden, he only has his evasion and that kick attack he does. Sackboy can have a ton of traps laid out and if any of them hit he's off to the other side of the stage to set up again.

aside from raidens level 1, what makes him cheap? i love using him. so i'd hate to be known as someone who just took the "easy characters" (i really am trying to learn him without being cheap).

J-Tier

dat level 1

Hahaha, yeah. Really strong level 1. Though that's not why I like him that's just a plus haha. I just love all the tools and sets up he has under his "circle moves". So much shenanigans.

aside from raidens level 1, what makes him cheap? i love using him. so i'd hate to be known as someone who just took the "easy characters" (i really am trying to learn him without being cheap).

Range and priority, dive kick, "simple combos", parry, and attacks that auto-face towards opponents. He's not too bad to fight though--not to me anyways.

You shouldn't worry about people calling you cheap. If he is a character you like, you should use him. You bought the game, after all. You can do what you want with it. Most people who complain just don't know how to deal with another character's tools.

Misterhbk

You shouldn't worry about people calling you cheap. If he is a character you like, you should use him. You bought the game, after all. You can do what you want with it. Most people who complain just don't know how to deal with another character's tools.

eh, a lot of the characters have some sort of way that seems cheap.

I'm trying to main Good Cole, and his level 2 is fucking ridiculous lol I'm still learning how to use him though. Don't feel like I'm very good just yet

SmithnCo

I don't think there's any one character that feels particularly cheap, hell, if you can do the same two Sly moves over and over and nobody counters it, go for it. There are bad matchups certainly but I think everything has a counter.

Nobody really feels like the Meta Knight yet, anyway.

Range and priority, dive kick, "simple combos", parry, and attacks that auto-face towards opponents. He's not too bad to fight though--not to me anyways.

damn. never knew he was that annoying. but i guess everyone has their annoyances. i particularly hate the chain grab of kratos. =,=

true. i just wonder if im getting "better" cause im using raiden- or cause hes really just one of the "cheap/easy" characters. hahaha.

WatTsu

Gotta say, I wasn't expecting Drake to become one of my favorite characters but he is. He's just weird enough to be interesting and has a lot of versatility, though his supers are not always very useful.

KalBalboa

Banned
I want to improve my skills with characters outside of Cole, Sweet Tooth, and Jak, but it's really hard to resist just jumping online into FFA. I'm getting butchered in FFA, but my 2 v 2 rank isn't so bad.

Ran rp

I don't want to play as Big Daddy but I really want his icons. Gr.

damn. never knew he was that annoying. but i guess everyone has their annoyances. i particularly hate the chain grab of kratos. =,=

true. i just wonder if im getting "better" cause im using raiden- or cause hes really just one of the "cheap/easy" characters. hahaha.

I just realised that Kratos' chain grab is no longer just one button press. Good. It was waaay too spammable in the betas.

Ran rp

None of the characters are really cheap, some just have better strengths in one area or just have an advantage against some characters but not others.

SmithnCo

Dumb question, can you rotate the character models on the customize screen?

Also if anyone is getting together any GAF matches, invite me. PSN is smithnco.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Gotta say, I wasn't expecting Drake to become one of my favorite characters but he is. He's just weird enough to be interesting and has a lot of versatility, though his supers are not always very useful.

His L1 super seems useless :\

Ran rp

Wow, I don't think you can even chain grab from the air anymore. The really nerfed it.

Dumb question, can you rotate the character models on the customize screen?

Also if anyone is getting together any GAF matches, invite me. PSN is smithnco.

Same.

And nope, can't rotate them.

Noi

I wouldn't call anyone "overpowered" just yet, but Raiden does edge towards the upper echeleon of characters. Aside from all the things mentioned already, he has really good movement options and probably most importantly, all of his supers are 100% good with no drawbacks. Just look at them:

Level 1 - Quick to come out, hits all around Raiden, persists for at least 2 seconds, moves while performing so it can catch people who just barely don't dodge in time. Probably the easiest super in the game with which to do a triple kill with. Compare this to Ratchet's level 1 which has him stationary for a long ass time and vulnerable from behind, meaning anyone can either punish it or knock him out of it with ease.

Level 2 - Freezes all the opponents around him in place, simplified moveset, but still a generous range on the attacks. Generous amount of super time. Can freeze them AGAIN by pressing the circle button. Pretty much guaranteed a minimum of 3 kills.

Level 3 - Forces all opponents to Box state. Increases movement speed. Let's him use his full moveset, all which kill.

The rest of the roster WISH they had a full super list AND normals as good as Raiden's.

TheMink

I wouldn't call anyone "overpowered" just yet, but Raiden does edge towards the upper echeleon of characters. Aside from all the things mentioned already, he has really good movement options and probably most importantly, all of his supers are 100% good with no drawbacks. Just look at them:

Level 1 - Quick to come out, hits all around Raiden, persists for at least 2 seconds, moves while performing so it can catch people who just barely don't dodge in time. Probably the easiest super in the game with which to do a triple kill with. Compare this to Ratchet's level 1 which has him stationary for a long ass time and vulnerable from behind, meaning anyone can either punish it or knock him out of it with ease.

Level 2 - Freezes all the opponents around him in place, simplified moveset, but still a generous range on the attacks. Generous amount of super time. Can freeze them AGAIN by pressing the circle button. Pretty much guaranteed a minimum of 3 kills.

Level 3 - Forces all opponents to Box state. Increases movement speed. Let's him use his full moveset, all which kill.

The rest of the roster WISH they had a full super list AND normals as good as Raiden's.

And dont forget he can hit confirm his lvl from 2 different ways at least lol

Yeah, his biggest weakness is he has zero ranged options, and has trouble dealing with crowds and ranged chracters.

Isolate isolate isolate!

Ran rp

Yeah, his lvl 2 feels like a lvl 3 sometimes.

WAIT. WHAT?!!!!!!

I love when stock FFA gets down to two people, haha

definitely. i do "better" in 1v1 when theres 3 or more. i get so lost, confused and honestly scared for my dear poor raiden.

PSY・S;44634659 said:
Side square.

Wasn't it always like that? I remember me and someone else during the beta asking for it to be changed to neutral square, which would somewhat alleviate chain spamming, because people would actually have to stop moving to use it, instead of just mashing square as they rush towards you.

Noi

Kratos's chain grab was always side square. It's a bit nerfed, but still rather annoying.

Yeah, his biggest weakness is he has zero ranged options, and has trouble dealing with crowds and ranged chracters.

Eh, I'd say he can handle crowds fine compared to other characters. And lack of ranged attacks aren't even an issue when you have parry + can bolt across the screen in no time.

WAIT. WHAT?!!!!!!

I didn't even know that until just now when I went into practice to check it out again. :p

Top Bottom