• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

CoLaN

I never tried to get into fighting games, but smash bros and this really intrigue me. I did read about a steep learning curve, but what i would like to know is if its a smashing the controller out of ragekind of one, or an addictive and fun experience even while you are learning the basics.

Damn Nariko's so good. I really need to stop telling myself that rolling will avoid that rising blades attack. XD It was fun though. Nice playing you, PSY!

SykoTech

How long do you guys wait before you start a game online. I remember the beta taking somewhat long time before starting the match.

I've been doing mostly local play, but the five or so online matches I have been in so far only took seconds to connect in both ranked and matchmaking. Hit a glitch during one of my matches though, and the rest were ragequits. Gonna have to try again later.

Kouichi

Finally got my black belt and I'm officially done with ranked FFA until the next season.

Add me: Kooichi-kun. I need more of GAF on my friend's list!

Ran rp

I've only played with a few characters but I already feel like I've seen everything this game has to offer, and I'm kind of getting bored. Nothing's really fun anymore except for stock 2v2s.

Enjay

Banned
Weirdest online glitch I had was in a FFA where no one had picked Drake, yet we all turned into zombies for the last 15 seconds of the match.

The delayed respawn and increased invincibility window glitches are the worst though, thankfully this hasn't been happening often to me.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
PSY・S;44639952 said:
I've only played with a few characters but I already feel like I've seen everything this game has to offer, and I'm kind of getting bored. Nothing's really fun anymore except for stock 2v2s.

One of the things that I notice the most about a lot of GAF is that when they get a new game, they hit it hard, non-stop, for hours on end.

I tend to have very short gaming sessions these days. Perhaps between 1-2 hours if I'm lucky. I also don't play the same game for days straight. I usually jump around a lot. Because of that, I don't get burned out on games as fast as some of you guys do. I know we've been waiting for this game for a long time, and we're all enjoying it, but I'm not surprised if you're done with it after a day, if you've been playing as much as it seems you guys have been playing (from reading the forum).

Pace yourself. Practice, and save up for the tournament. That's pretty much what I'm doing. I think I've played a total of 3 online matches since I got the game. I've been spending my game time in single player, just learning my character and trying to one up the highest difficulty CPU opponent.

For me, this game is primarily about sitting on the couch with a bunch of buds and playing it that way. Online is nice, but I'm just not that big of a fan of playing with people I can't see and get drunk with. I'm doing the tournament, of course, but I'll probably spend most of my PBR time with friends over my house or at theirs.

Ran rp

One of the things that I notice the most about a lot of GAF is that when they get a new game, they hit it hard, non-stop, for hours on end.

I tend to have very short gaming sessions these days. Perhaps between 1-2 hours if I'm lucky. I also don't play the same game for days straight. I usually jump around a lot. Because of that, I don't get burned out on games as fast as some of you guys do. I know we've been waiting for this game for a long time, and we're all enjoying it, but I'm not surprised if you're done with it after a day, if you've been playing as much as it seems you guys have been playing (from reading the forum).

Pace yourself. Practice, and save up for the tournament. That's pretty much what I'm doing. I think I've played a total of 3 online matches since I got the game. I've been spending my game time in single player, just learning my character and trying to one up the highest difficulty CPU opponent.

For me, this game is primarily about sitting on the couch with a bunch of buds and playing it that way. Online is nice, but I'm just not that big of a fan of playing with people I can't see and get drunk with. I'm doing the tournament, of course, but I'll probably spend most of my PBR time with friends over my house or at theirs.

Yeah, this game will still shine when playing locally with friends, but I'm pretty burned out with solo and online play. Which is weird because I've played the beta longer than I have the full game and I didn't grow tired of that.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
PSY・S;44640329 said:
Yeah, this game will still shine when playing locally with friends, but I'm pretty burned out with solo and online play. Which is weird because I've played the beta longer than I have the full game and I didn't grow tired of that.

I think it's because the beta was the beta. It was a small taste of the full game, and the beta was a great way to kill the time between the wait for the final game. There was also the fact that so much of the game has been an unknown, that a lot of our anticipation was simply just to see what else the game had to it. Now we know, so part of that hype/excitement is simply gone. We are now in the stage where the game has to stand on its own, beyond any other extra stuff. I like unlocking things and leveling up, but yeah, content is very light on the single player side. I wish there was more to mess around it (mainly a museum and cutscene viewer).

The same thing happened to me with the Killzone 2 beta. I played the shit out of that beta, non stop, for days, and when the game finally came out, I played the online a total of 5 or 6 times, and never touched it again. I loved it, but I had burned myself out.

I purposely limited my PlayStation All Stars beta time. I played maybe 3 or 4 matches in a single session, and didn't play it daily (a few times a week). Now that I have the final game, I still don't play more than just a few sessions, or for a total of an hour or two. At least so far.

Even when a game is chocked full of content, it's easy to get burned out on it if you play it too much. I think FF: Dissidia has a ton of stuff to it, but I burned myself out on it pretty quickly by playing it every day, for two to three hours.

I advise taking a break for a bit, maybe a day, and then, when you come back, limit your playtime to three or four matches.

That sounded like a doctor's prescription. lol.

Ran rp

I think it's because the beta was the beta. It was a small taste of the full game, and the beta was a great way to kill the time between the wait for the final game. There was also the fact that so much of the game has been an unknown, that a lot of our anticipation was simply just to see what else the game had to it. Now we know, so part of that hype/excitement is simply gone. We are now in the stage where the game has to stand on its own, beyond any other extra stuff. I like unlocking things and leveling up, but yeah, content is very light on the single player side. I wish there was more to mess around it (mainly a museum and cutscene viewer).

The same thing happened to me with the Killzone 2 beta. I played the shit out of that beta, non stop, for days, and when the game finally came out, I played the online a total of 5 or 6 times, and never touched it again. I loved it, but I had burned myself out.

I purposely limited my PlayStation All Stars beta time. I played maybe 3 or 4 matches in a single session, and didn't play it daily (a few times a week). Now that I have the final game, I still don't play more than just a few sessions, or for a total of an hour or two. At least so far.

Even when a game is chocked full of content, it's easy to get burned out on it if you play it too much. I think FF: Dissidia has a ton of stuff to it, but I burned myself out on it pretty quickly by playing it every day, for two to three hours.

I advise taking a break for a bit, maybe a day, and then, when you come back, limit your playtime to three or four matches.

It does, haha. I think I'm only going to play it a few times at night now or in the morning. I have other things to do anyway.

Its different for fighting games. Fighting games is all about breaking it down and finding new tech. Very few people in the FGC that play non-stop get burnt so easily. I mean I still can sit hours in mvc3 training room just thinking about crazy shit and see if it works. In fighting games its about that level of creativity and then implementing it in a real match.

For games like RTS, FPS, and MOBA I can understand being burnt out. There isn't much tech to discover. The rules are kinda already out there. Of course there are a few things developed once in awhile but its nothing close to a fighting game. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get the "aha! that works?!" moment.

TheExodu5

Banned
So how is the game? Worth getting even if I haven't played much Smash Bros yet?

Also, is it true that you only get kills with supers?

TheExodu5

Banned
Cool. Thanks. And how are the mechanics, exactly? Simple/intuitive enough to pick up quickly? I liked SSB because the core mechanics were very simple...any new player that came to my house could easily grasp them without needing to go through a tutorial.

So how is the game? Worth getting even if I haven't played much Smash Bros yet?

Also, is it true that you only get kills with supers?

I played it at my brothers house yesterday thinking it wouldn't be my cup of tea. We were supposed to just play 2 matches then watch a movie with our sf's. Night turned into 4 hours of us playing and having some of the most fun I can remember. This morning I was going through withdrawals and seeing as all the stores were closed bought it off PSN and have been playing it all day between PS3 and Vita(Which is fantastic).

Nakiro

I played it at my brothers house yesterday thinking it wouldn't be my cup of tea. We were supposed to just play 2 matches then watch a movie with our sf's. Night turned into 4 hours of us playing and having some of the most fun I can remember. This morning I was going through withdrawals and seeing as all the stores were closed bought it off PSN and have been playing it all day between PS3 and Vita(Which is fantastic).
Glad you're enjoying it!

So, I was reading some pages that I'd missed earlier and it seems that some people would prefer stock for the tourney. How many people would be in favour of a rule change, and if so, how many lives per person?

Also, should any stages/items be banned? I don't want it to devolve into cheap tactics.

SmithnCo

So, I was reading some pages that I'd missed earlier and it seems that some people would prefer stock for the tourney. How many people would be in favour of a rule change, and if so, how many lives per person?

Also, should any stages/items be banned? I don't want it to devolve into cheap tactics.

I would prefer stock, and suggest 3 lives.

Items and hazards are fine with me though.

Ran rp

5 Stock. Some lvl 3s can net you an easy 2-3 kills in a 1v1 and when it's a team of two chasing the last player down it's over pretty quickly.

Edit: No items. Hazards are okay.

I was talking more the stages themselves rather than the hazards. I don't want to turn every match into a Sackboy/Radec turtlefest just because the host chose a large, flat stage for example.

SmithnCo

I was talking more the stages themselves rather than the hazards. I don't want to turn every match into a Sackboy/Radec turtlefest just because the host chose a large, flat stage for example.

I guess people will have to agree on a stage? The flat ones definitely give an advantage to certain characters. Radec and Kratos with the fire arrows comes to mind.

Ran rp

Most of the stages seem balanced enough. The only ones I'd personally like to avoid are Franzea and Black Rock Stadium. Franzea is just a mess and Black Rock Stadium shifts around too much. Sandover Village isn't too hot either but it isn't that bad.

Edit: And Paris is pretty large and barren. That could be a problem with Radec and Sackboy like you mentioned.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Its different for fighting games. Fighting games is all about breaking it down and finding new tech. Very few people in the FGC that play non-stop get burnt so easily. I mean I still can sit hours in mvc3 training room just thinking about crazy shit and see if it works. In fighting games its about that level of creativity and then implementing it in a real match.

For games like RTS, FPS, and MOBA I can understand being burnt out. There isn't much tech to discover. The rules are kinda already out there. Of course there are a few things developed once in awhile but its nothing close to a fighting game. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get the "aha! that works?!" moment.

Yeah, I guess if you're a really hardcore fighting game fan. I play UMvC3, but even I don't spend hours in it. I play around for a bit, practice with characters, then I'm done. But then, I'm not a hardcore fighting game fan, which is why games like Smash and All Stars appeal to me more than Street Fighter and other fighters.

EDIT: Lol. Sometimes I wonder what the point of an OP is, when nobody bothers to read it. So many of the same questions get asked every few pages, when the answers are in the OP. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only guy that reads the OPs of Official Threads. Lol.

Ran rp

Yeah, I guess if you're a really hardcore fighting game fan. I play UMvC3, but even I don't spend hours in it. I play around for a bit, practice with characters, then I'm done. But then, I'm not a hardcore fighting game fan, which is why games like Smash and All Stars appeal to me more than Street Fighter and other fighters.

EDIT: Lol. Sometimes I wonder what the point of an OP is, when nobody bothers to read it. So many of the same questions get asked every few pages, when the answers are in the OP. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only guy that reads the OPs of Official Threads. Lol.

I usually read the OP once or a few times before I forget that it's there.

PSN sent me a message about my preorder being ready to download.

Thanks PSN!!!.............

So late....

Oh and the game could use some more stages. I'm hoping we get at least 4 new stages next year.

TheExodu5

Banned

I often times don't because they're often pretty bloated.

I did read this one after the fact, and it answered quite a few of my questions.

SmithnCo

PSN sent me a message about my preorder being ready to download.

Thanks PSN!!!.............

So late....

lol, at least they did it I guess.... Must be going by GCT.

Also for the tourney people should probably decide on a stage before picking characters so they know what they'll be working with.

Top Bottom