• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation fans air grievances at Sony under crushing Xbox showcase hype

ToadMan

Pretty much. If there was an amazing EA/Ubisoft conference (hard to imagine I know) there wouldn't be this mentality that it's bad for Sony.

Times are changing. A good Xbox conference is no longer a bad thing for Playstation. Nor does it require a response. Xbox console platform is dead and Xbox games are coming to playstation.

Up to a point yeah - I still think that the core Xbox stuff - Halo, Gears...not so sure about Forza - aren't going to PS at least for the remainder of this gen. I say that because besides inertia inside MS to port those, I'm not sure Sony will let them onto a PS platform while there is still the potential for viable competition from the Xbox brand.

After all, PS mentioned that putting old games on PC was bread-crumbing PC players to buy a PS for newer versions of those titles.

If Sony genuinely think that is a viable concept on PC, then they won't want MS doing the same to them by releasing core xbox brand titles on PS, and then suddenly pulling the rug with exclusive sequels at some future point - particularly the launch of a PS6 for example. Let's say MS create a decent size fanbase for Halo and/or Gears on PS through the release of remasters of existing titles, what happens around PS6 launch, if new iterations are exclusive to MS "eco systems". Could that cut into Sony sales and revenue and affect purchasing decisions at a critical point for console adoption?

To put it another way, if those titles do get to PS, that to me signals that Xbox is contractually no longer a competing platform in it's own right in any recognizable form - by that I mean Sony have enforceable assurances of that either in the form of parity agreements going forward, or a specific strategic partnership with MS game studios. Right now, while xbox consoles are flatlined, MS still has a brand identity, storefronts and a competing brand in place - that needs to be dismantled or defanged before Sony can accept Xbox branded core franchises to their platform.

But ABK and Bethesda stuff - that was traditionally third party before the acqusitions and should remain so going forwards. I don't see any way MS can make those acquisitions economically viable without keeping them multiplat.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Now that X-box has shown all it got Sony will be able to reveal its planned september show, introducing the PSpro and major games for 2025, seizing again with ease the narrative.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Charlie Murphy Laugh GIF

blue velvet

Sony been slacking and extremely cocky this gen because they know their competition has been laughably bad. They've been relying hard with their third person slops for a long time now and obviously scared to take a risk and invest on new things. They have no 1st Party AAA first person military shooters, J/WRPGs, arcade racers, and their Japanese studios are pretty much non existent outside of Team Asobi and Polyphony which is incredibly ironic for a Japanese company. They hired an extremely bias CEO. They're gonna get cooked next gen if they don't change or take a risk.

YuLY

Microsoft has now shown all of their games for this gen not counting some smaller titles and open world Forza.
Eh not really. They didnt reshow Clockwork Revolution, they still havent shown Contraband. This is pony copium. The reality is, sony needs to step up again and chill with the gaas shit. Yes they are the market leader, but they are barely making a profit off it, things change fast in the tech industry, look at Nvidia which some people thought it was in trouble like 5years ago.

Mr Hyde

You can't please these types of people. They want big showcases from all of the big threes every day of the year, with big AAAs coming out every day of the year. If they don't, they're called lazy and dragging their feet's, if they do, they are announcing games too far off in the future and vaporware. These people don't play games, they play hype and list wars on the internet.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Im a little surprised to see people putting down 2025 trailers. Thats the soonest you get most E3 stuff. 1 year is not far.

Bait GIF

Bait for another thread of Sony vs Xbox fanboys.
Still don’t get it why fanboys exist. Xbox showcase was great. I think it’s good for the competition, this industry needs this. As an owner of all current gen conoles I’d be glad if all platforms have great games. Fanboys are only poor people who can’t afford these machines. To all the fanboys out there: get your shit together, at least find a job.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nintendo has been saving up for the switch 2 announcement which could be this next direct. That could overshadow both MS and Sony.

Damigos

The xbox showcase was good, which is beneficial to everyone.
I think playstation should make a showcase around September (pro model, big game announcements etc) and then make another big playstation event around Sept 2026 (2 years later) revealing the next gen.
Ofc MS should follow step, though there are no rumors of a Xbox Pro model.

Facism

You don't have to like what MS showed, but at least they put the effort in to give people a big chunk of content to chew through. Not another boring 20 minute State of It. Miss this period of the year where everyone blows their biggest load to show you what's coming.

Last edited:

willothedog

Internet whiffed on this one too.

XBox didn't show a single 10 million unit seller. All they showed were a bunch of titles the internet likes but most of them will sell 2 - 4 million copies. It was a filler showcase.

PlayStation is fine. Get clickbaited y'all.

If only they showed a new Call of Duty title.....

Radical_3d

As a Playstation fan since 1999 I think it's vital that Xbox does well.

Competition is neccesary to keep arrogant Sony in place.
Fan from 1997 here and I agree. The question is if Hulst is up to the task or if he needs to step down. Under his leadership Japan and London Studios were closed.

night13x

The thing is....Xbox basically blew their entire load for the rest of the current gen most likely. Meanwhile Sony can spread things out a bit more over the coming years (also rememeber they are probably saving a bit of a wad for their upcoming ps5 pro which they want to sell in big numbers). Sony is going to be fine. I am sure their business and marketing team have already laid out the path to follow.

Sony doing a knee jerk reaction to MS showcase could be bad business decision in the long run. Let's let Sony cook. They have more or less always been successful video game company for a reason.

TrebleShot

This is why competition is so good and a competitive market, if sony does not respond and react to the publics opinion they put themselves on the back foot, especially with nintendo due to show the switch sequel off what does sony have? a ps5 pro wont be enough on its own.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
PlayStation in 2018: "This industry is quickly becoming about big IP single player that can sell 20m and monster GAAS. All hands on deck!"

XBox in 2024: "Here's Avowed, South of Midnight, Expedition 33, Perfect Dark..."

People ignoring a Bay of Pigs scale blunder in gaming right now. Thread will be hilarious to reread in 18 months.

If only they showed a new Call of Duty title.....
Not exactly an appreciable differentiator considering Call of Dutys relationship to PlayStation.

Last edited:
It is a paradox really - Xbox has games but no sales, Playstation has no games but has sales.

But I guess it does not matter if people are buying console for COD, Fortnite and Minecraft

Do these people not realise that most of Xbox's output is coming to ps5 and the third party stuff is, too?

Sony had a conference without having to spend a dime.

As far as I can tell it was just another 3rd party showcase. Never heard of one destroying a console manufacturer before. They usually help bring people to the platforms that those games are available on.

Astray

I think the big sign that Sony is being lazy is 3rd party marketing contracts. 1P always depends on readiness etc, so you're not always gonna be able to reliably have 1P bangers every showcase, but to not have any appealing 3rd party marketing contracts is egregious.

You look at the show yesterday, and quickly realize that there is no real reason Sony couldn't get the marketing contract for Expedition 33 or Atomfall for example. Metal Gear Solid Delta had it's initial reveal on a State of Play, yet somehow they don't get the gameplay trailer?

These are the games that typically act like stocking stuffers in showcases, and Sony has been clearly faltering in there.

Sanepar

I think they don't want to make showcases anymore and stay with their poor communication and crap sops.

But the heat will come up, consumers will wake up if Xbox games delivery.

Unknown?

Dude, Sony would get crushed if they made a show that was all 3rd party stuff. Every E3 we had people saying how certain games weren't exclusive.

There nothing Sony have to step up about. No matter what. They gonna have the games. Got all the 3rd party’s and everyone on it and gonna get most if not all of Xbox games on it to in the future.

Now if you a gamepass fan. Now that different and you eating good. That could make u want to get a Xbox if you a console player. That a lot of games and gamepass always delivering that for sure

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If Sony has a banger of a show lined up for August then we all eating extremely well!

Nintendo will bring the heat in January 2025 for Switch 2.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Not gonna lie, while Sony probably has the blockbusters and gen in the bag, I’m much more excited for the Microsoft lineup on PC. I can think of 6 games in that showcase yesterday that I would pick over GOW ragnarok PC as example.

Sony’s blockbusters just aren’t that exciting to me. Fucking sucks they closed the Japanese studio

Last edited:

Astray

I think they don't want to make showcases anymore and stay with their poor communication and crap sops.

But the heat will come up, consumers will wake up if Xbox games delivery.
Sadly no.

The platform fiefdoms have been largely determined largely through digital marketplaces, which have created a much higher switching cost for a 1-system gamer (the vast majority), and through the rise of the monolithic gaas games, which largely play the same across all systems (eliminating the need to switch).

Ironically enough, the most vulnerable player in the space are Nintendo, whose sales are largely physical still, and has a younger demographic that can be enticed to switch over as it ages out.

Playstation gamer here, have been all of my life. I'm super happy with Xbox's showcase, and may even go out my way to play some of the games especially Fable.

The strong showing is also good because it'll keep Sony on there toes as well, and hopefully they can show us the goodies they're working on as well.

DrFigs

If sony's show was mostly multiplats, I think they would get a ton of backlash about a lack of exclusives. but because the bar for MS has been so lowered, it's now considered a good move.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
If sony's show was mostly multiplats, I think they would get a ton of backlash about a lack of exclusives. but because the bar for MS has been so lowered, it's now considered a good move.
3rd party stuff has always been fine because including it in GP is still a nice bonus. Not a lot of need to celebrate less people playing something. Having it on the sub benefits me. And this had lots of 1st party stuff too.

No one is really talking about Assassin's Creed Japan because that's just a 3rd party title, and not on GP. That's the distinction.

Last edited:

splattered

Apparently Sony fans have never heard of the Trojan Horse? Who is to say this is a permanent shift of MS games coming to Playstation? That they are throwing in the towel and giving up on their fans? Obviously MS failed to do well in hardware this generation just like Nintendo did with the Wii. But Nintendo made a comeback hardware wise and so could MS. Maybe Microsoft plays good guy and puts out several solid titles on ps5 getting Sony fans more intimately familiar with the competitions games and then boom they stick the landing on the Xbox Portable and amazing beastly next generation console a year or two before Sony releases the ps6 in attempt to tempt PS loyalists into the Xbox ecosystem. If Microsoft can keep this cadence of big games every year moving forward - gives Sony fans a taste of something other than the same old thing Sony always makes - and then brings it all back home with amazing hardware, big exclusive titles constantly dropping, and a subscription service that just can't be beat then maybe just maybe Microsoft will not look so fucking dumb for once. It has been a rocky road up to this point and they've had to spend a shit ton of money to get here but I wouldn't count them out of the game just yet.

simpatico

Gold Member
Go easy on them. They’re still sore from contorting themselves into hero shooter fans. At least wait for the muscles to adjust.

Top Bottom