• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation fans air grievances at Sony under crushing Xbox showcase hype

elmos-acc

Xbox Showcase was great, and Sony needs to step up. Even though 5 years ago this would have been 3 different shows: Xbox, Bethesda and ABK. Microsoft is by far the biggest games publisher right now, so it makes sense that they should have games releasing constantly to keep the lights on. I really hope the games are solid and won't flop.

Before 2024 is over, Sony needs to show what a top tier PS Studios title this generation will be, because it can't be Horizon or Spider-Man 2. And it definitely isn't Concord.

You know, the fact of the matter is, most people nowadays and especially younger generations play a small handful of live service games. What is important to us is not important to them. And we need to realize that these giant showcases have to cater to everyone, not just the 25-45 hardcore console crowd that’s been playing since the 80s/90s and only wants single-player games.

As more time passes, we’re becoming a smaller and smaller segment of the userbase.

Last edited:

Sanepar

Sadly no.

The platform fiefdoms have been largely determined largely through digital marketplaces, which have created a much higher switching cost for a 1-system gamer (the vast majority), and through the rise of the monolithic gaas games, which largely play the same across all systems (eliminating the need to switch).

Ironically enough, the most vulnerable player in the space are Nintendo, whose sales are largely physical still, and has a younger demographic that can be enticed to switch over as it ages out.
It will, it is all about games. It always was. It is not about gamepass, features or any other thing than games.

If MS delivery a bang after another like it was on 360 days consumers will shift their eyes on them.

They tried everything last 10 years besides great games(with a few excepetions) now they will realize that all that matters are games.

Ev1L AuRoN

This is why we need competition, Sony needs to step up their game 'cause, right now, playstation is look barren compared to Xbox. We know they are working on several titles, but the hype machine needs to start rolling or else Microsoft momentum will crush them.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
PS5 Pro with all the games from MS's showcase, PLUS the PS games

Checkmate
Xbox PC / handheld with all the MS showcase games, plus GP, plus the PS PC games, plus Steam.

Checkmate x2

Exclusives are not really going to matter that much. Everyone can pretty much play whatever they want.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
If sony's show was mostly multiplats, I think they would get a ton of backlash about a lack of exclusives. but because the bar for MS has been so lowered, it's now considered a good move.
Perfect Dark
Avowed
Fable
South of Midnight
Indiana Jones
State of Decay 3
Flight Simulator 2024
Gears of War E-Day (cinematic only)
Age of Mythology Retold
Starfield DLC

Still a lot of first-party.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
It was a good showcase, no doubt, but If you spend > $70bn on buying half the industry you are going to have a good first showcase, unfair to compare the two in that respect.

BlackTron

Xbox PC / handheld with all the MS showcase games, plus GP, plus the PS PC games, plus Steam.

Checkmate x2

Exclusives are not really going to matter that much. Everyone can pretty much play whatever they want.

I do agree that a PC that can play both PS games and everything else is the best device. After all, I main PC today. But there are caveats.

Only the Playstation will be able to play both PS and Xbox games day one. It's the only hardware that can do this, has extreme momentum, and is available at a reasonable price unlike a conceptual PC-console that runs everything.

PS would do well to keep their games exclusive forever, but they are too stupid. Despite this, they have the clear advantage here.

midnightAI

My hope as well we get a proper showcase with the Pro reveal as they have some great games coming and would love to see things like Ghost of Tsushima, Wolverine even Death Stranding 2 using the power of PSSR

Impress me Sony, I look forward to it
I would say that's very highly likely, I think that's why we only got a small State of Play

Neolombax

I mean, there were quite a few games on the xbox showcase that will also available on PS5.

In any case, competition is always good.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I do agree that a PC that can play both PS games and everything else is the best device. After all, I main PC today. But there are caveats.

Only the Playstation will be able to play both PS and Xbox games day one. It's the only hardware that can do this, has extreme momentum, and is available at a reasonable price unlike a conceptual PC-console that runs everything.

PS would do well to keep their games exclusive forever, but they are too stupid. Despite this, they have the clear advantage here.
I would never consider a device that can't run GP as my only device, personally. But tons of people enjoy the PS5, and that's great. You're right, they all have strengths and weaknesses. Just depends on what people want. If you have to have every PS game day 1, that's the way to go.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I can understand their frustration, seeing how Xbox has one of the best showcases ever in many years while Sony having multiple years of mediocre showings. But why not feel happy for Xbox fans? Xbox succeeding = more games for gamers. The industry need some positivity

Instead they be feeling bitter and jealous

angry-congrats-happy-for-you.png

BlackTron

I would never consider a device that can't run GP as my only device, personally. But tons of people enjoy the PS5, and that's great. You're right, they all have strengths and weaknesses. Just depends on what people want. If you have to have every PS game day 1, that's the way to go.

Phil's banging his head against the wall trying to expand the GP base while their existing customers halt buying games entirely resulting in losses indicate that while we all have preferences, selling games to people who wish to buy them is a strategically better way to make money.

If I didn’t own an Xbox or gaming PC I’d be pretty happy about the Xbox showcase as a PS5 owner. Eventually I’ll be able to play a lot or all of those games. But as someone who does own those platforms, I guess my PS5 will continue to collect dust.

Lazy Sony is just as bad as arrogant Sony.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

You cant play all MS games day one on PS though....?

They don’t need to do anything.

No, you are right. They don't need to, but imo they need to show some heavy hitting exclusives from their first party studios. It feels like we haven't seen anything since Wolverine.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If I didn’t own an Xbox or gaming PC I’d be pretty happy about that showcase as a PS5 owner. Eventually I’ll be able to play a lot or all of those games. But as someone who does own those platforms, I guess my PS5 will continue to collect dust.

Lazy Sony is just as bad as arrogant Sony.

To play a bit of devil's advocate, I was kinda impressed at how they were able to shove in 14~ games in a 30 minute SoP. But aside from Astro, not much there was interesting. And them opening and spending the most time on Concord was just the poop cherry on top.

BlackTron

What leads you to believe that? Doom being day one?

Microsoft being a third party publisher and choosing to make money leads me to believe it.

Edit: I think if a game like Indiana Jones or Perfect Dark isn't on PS day one, it's for some ancillary reason, like needing to get the version ready or trying to ease fans in the transition, and they will eventually move past all that.

Putting games on PS is how they can move real copies of games. Every Xbox owner and a chunk of PC owners will play it on Gamepass. Satya has given instructions to make money already.

Last edited:

twilo99

Gold Member
No, you are right. They don't need to, but imo they need to show some heavy hitting exclusives from their first party studios. It feels like we haven't seen anything since Wolverine.

It doesn’t affect their sales at all but yes of course it will good to have more games.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
It's always good when your opponent lit a fire under your ass but like someone said, sony probably doesn't care about doing a show as good as M.
Why should they? Sony hasn’t struggled with games like Microsoft has. This is just the usual hyperbole over what will be meaningless in just a few weeks time. Then the games drop, financials drop, and this is laughed at yet again.

Rinse/Repeat.

Yes someone needs to light a fire under Sony and Hulst‘s butts. The state of plays are a cheap way for Sony to present their games. They pulled out of E3 years ago and since then have done very little in terms of showcasing their titles. Yesterdays Xbox showcase was light years better than anything Sony has shown in a long time. Hopefully they listen and respond in kind.

Bojji

Why should they? Sony hasn’t struggled with games like Microsoft has. This is just the usual hyperbole over what will be meaningless in just a few weeks time. Then the games drop, financials drop, and this is laughed at yet again.

Rinse/Repeat.

They didn't? PS5 has the worst catalogue of exclusive games in PS history, after almost 4 years there is barely anything.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
They didn't? PS5 has the worst catalogue of exclusive games in PS history, after almost 4 years there is barely anything.
Surejan.gif.

In 2024, I’ve played some fantastic games only on PS5. Clearly, many others agree. That you don’t like them doesn’t negate that they’ve done a better job releasing games than Microsoft with Xbox.

So, what exactly did this showcase change?

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Eh......I don't buy PlayStation to play Xbox games so really don't get that spin. Sony needs a showcase and highlight their own games. The contrast on the upcoming games front right now is quite stark and suddenly Sony is way behind.

Considering most of what Xbox just showed isn't even releasing this year (along with the fact that they haven't released anything of note this year so far) saying they are behind is a stretch.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Sony can look at their sales numbers and ask themselves what they need to change. They cannot be complacent but the people complaining are already diehard brand loyalist and are not really going anywhere. They just want a fun show.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
They don’t need to do anything.
Lmao. Are you a CEO or a gamer?

They dont need to do anything?

They havent announced a proper mature single player AAA game in years.

Im not going to sit here and pretend to be hyped about fucking concord and LEGO trash.

Oh look another PC release, yay, Until Dawn PC. Horizon Remake sounds great... lol

They are getting lapped in the game department

Last edited:

BlackTron

Competition is one thing. MS has bought up so many companies that's it vital for them to fail so we don't have only first party and Indies to enjoy.

I welcome their sinking ship. Let Nintendo compete again.

I don't think it's vital that they fail, it would be nice if this didn't result in the total decimation of all those assets they purchased. And why do they need to fail even more, when the console business has already failed and they are now a publisher? Would be better if they just competently made and sold games at this point including on PS

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
MS showed a bunch of CGI, "in-engine" cinematics

This was not some megabomb showcase it's being made out to be.

• Black Ops 6 - gameplay
  • DOOM: The Dark Ages - gameplay
  • State of Decay 3 - cinematic with snippets of gameplay
  • Dragon Age: Veilguard - gameplay
  • Starfield: Shattered Space - gameplay
  • South of Midnight - cinematic and extended gameplay
  • Flintlock - gameplay
  • Age of Mythology - gameplay
  • Perfect Dark - gameplay
  • Fable - cinematic and gameplay
  • Mixtape - gameplay
  • Flight Simulator 2024 - gameplay
  • Life is Strange: Double Exposure - cinematic and gameplay
  • Indiana Jones and the Great Circle - gameplay
  • Avowed - gameplay
  • Assassin's Creed Shadows - gameplay
  • STALKER 2 - gameplay
  • Expedition 33 - gameplay

Like what the fuck are you even talking about lol. The only major announcement that didn't show any gameplay was Gears of War: E-Day.

Last edited:

Unknown?

My hope as well we get a proper showcase with the Pro reveal as they have some great games coming and would love to see things like Ghost of Tsushima, Wolverine even Death Stranding 2 using the power of PSSR

Impress me Sony, I look forward to it
Everyone will dunk on it for not being all first party. Look at the PS5s excellent lineup this year, doesn't matter because even though they are exclusive, they're not first party.

MS gets a pass on showing nearly all multiplatform games though.

Topher

Gold Member
Considering most of what Xbox just showed isn't even releasing this year (along with the fact that they haven't released anything of note this year so far) saying they are behind is a stretch.

I'm talking about the library of upcoming games being shown, not necessarily this year. Sony has shown us one new game from a first party studio since Wolverine in 2021.

Top Bottom