• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation fans air grievances at Sony under crushing Xbox showcase hype

Frank Costanza Seinfeld GIF by MOODMAN

Markio128

Gold Member
To be fair, Sony did confirm that they would only show/announce 1st party games once they were closer to release. There is every chance that a few Sony games will be released around the same time as those already announced by MS, such as PD and Fable.

Let’s be honest, it was fucking dumb to announce Wolverine so early.

At least Sony had the foresight to gain some solid 3rd-party deals in the meantime.

Microsoft just emptied their entire clip for the next 2.5-3 years with that showcase. People act like Microsoft will be putting out banger after banger. Next year, their only current exclusives are Fable and South of Midnight. I hope Clockwork Revolutions makes it, but its really concerning that game wasnt at the show. No way South of Midnight is anything but a niche game. Fable could be great, but I question whether it will actually be fun to play, as it's Playground Games first attempt at an RPG. Gears 6 and Perfect Dark could be as far as 2027, but could make 2026

If you looked at Xbox Showcase last year, they absolutely smoked PlayStation's Showcase. But with Playstation, I don't think you can argue who is having a better 2024 and most likely 2025

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
good. Compared to that trash state of play by herman, this was a masterpiece.

No idea why Sony studios like nd, sucker punch, bend and bluepoint aren’t ready To show anything 4-5 Years after shipping their last big game. Herman mismanaged the fuck out of these studios. Just resign and go work at a user car dealership where you belong. Took the best most critically acclaimed first party portfolio and ruined them all with gaas, remakes and mismanagement.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I'm talking about the library of upcoming games being shown, not necessarily this year. Sony has shown us one new game from a first party studio since Wolverine in 2021.

They've stated on multiple occasions they don't want to announce/show games too early anymore. Astrobot just got revealed, with gameplay and it's releasing this year.

Look at the list of the Xbox 1st party games that were just shown, then take a look at when they were first revealed/announced. You might be surprised, some of those games have been shown at over 3 conferences across separate years now. Some of the stuff they just announced isn't even releasing next year.

Is that what you really want?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They've stated on multiple occasions they don't want to announce/show games too early anymore. Astrobot just got revealed, with gameplay and it's releasing this year.

Look at the list of the Xbox 1st party games that were just shown, then take a look at when they were first revealed/announced. You might be surprised, some of those games have been shown at over 3 conferences across separate years now.
They literally announced marathon, concord, and that trash jade Raymond game last year. They announced death stranding in 2022. They announced wolverine in 2021.

Come on. There are not showing stuff because they aren’t even ready to show cg shit like those other games.

Topher

Gold Member

Look at the list of the Xbox 1st party games that were just shown, then take a look at when they were first revealed/announced. You might be surprised, some of those games have been shown at over 3 conferences across separate years now. Some of the stuff they just announced isn't even releasing next year.

Is that what you really want?

Yeah, but that's not what they are doing. Wolverine.....2021 announcement. Spider-man 2 was announced two years before release. I'd rather have a clear roadmap than complete silence.

Last edited:
Aren’t most of these games coming to PlayStation 5? I don’t see a problem with having even more good game to play.

Last edited:

SABRE220

Facts are facts, sony has been extremely lax and quite disappointing this gen in terms of game output. Their last show was pathetic and did more harm than good in terms of quelling the worries of their fans. Microsoft have been the butt of jokes the whole gen but credit where credit is due and they probably gave us the best game showcase of this gen and came out swinging. I truly hope this gives sony a kick up their ass so they can actually start showing some games outside of their primary focus on gaas.

Last edited:

CherryFalls

Banned
You have to keep in mind the day 1 3rd party gamepass games are also considered exclusive gets/wins for xbox. So games like Cod, Expedition 33, Doom, and Atomfall are wins for xbox too. Astro bot and another remake aren't going to cut it for PS

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah, but that's not what they are doing. Wolverine.....2021 announcement. Spider-man 2 was announced two years before release. I'd rather have a clear roadmap than complete silence.

I think these companies just need to get a good balance of, this is the nice surprise game for this year like Astro Bot and also a roadmap of near future games and even those that are a bit further out. So then you would ideally have a nice constant rotation of news. X game gets announced with a nice target in engine trailer but it might be two years away, then when that game is a year away you get an extended deep dive of footage, plus a new titles announced thats two years out. Then the year the games releasing you get the full hype building in game demo of a level. Y title then goes into the yearly cycle and another new game is announced for two years out. Then just keep that steady clip rotating.

If that makes sense.

You can then also have your surprises landing in between etc.

Hope that makes sense.

Astray

It will, it is all about games. It always was. It is not about gamepass, features or any other thing than games.

If MS delivery a bang after another like it was on 360 days consumers will shift their eyes on them.

They tried everything last 10 years besides great games(with a few excepetions) now they will realize that all that matters are games.
I mean Microsoft still hasn't actually delivered on the games front? All the games you saw yesterday and during their deep dive in early 2024 have to be delivered at quality before we can say they did?

So far we only got Hellblade 2 out of the 4 games slated for 2024, and that one likely won't move units. I think this race has been run and run thoroughly at this point.

GHG

Gold Member
They literally announced marathon, concord, and that trash jade Raymond game last year. They announced death stranding in 2022. They announced wolverine in 2021.

Come on. There are not showing stuff because they aren’t even ready to show cg shit like those other games.

He specifically said first party new IP's.

They will show stuff when it's ready and personally I'd prefer that over enduring multiple years of smoke and mirrors "in-engine"/CG trailers which Sony have been no secret to in the past.

So let's look at what you're asking for here since this is what you're using as a benchmark:

• State of Decay 3 - announced at Xbox games showcase 2020
  • Fabe 4 - announced at Xbox games showcase 2020
  • Perfect Dark - announced at the game awards 2020
  • Indianna Jones - announced 2021 by Bethesda
  • South of Midnight - announced at Xbox games showcase 2023
So I'll ask again, are you sure that's what you want? You mentioned Spiderman 2 which was announced and released in less time than most of the games listed that Xbox showed yet again yesterday.

Doom was the most exciting 1st party thing they announced and it's releasing next year, so maybe they are learning. I'd rather see more stuff like that and the Astrobot announcement personally, but that's just me.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

They will show stuff when it's ready and personally I'd prefer that over enduring multiple years of smoke and mirrors "in-engine"/CG trailers which Sony have been no secret to in the past.

So let's look at what you're asking for here since this is what you're using as a benchmark:

So I'll ask again, are you sure that's what you want? You mentioned Spiderman 2 which was announced and released in less time than most of the games listed that Xbox showed yet again yesterday.

Doom was the most exciting 1st party thing they announced and it's releasing next year, so maybe they are learning. I'd rather see more stuff like that and the Astrobot announcement personally, but that's just me.
No Gears love? ☹️

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I would say Sony needs showmanship again, but honestly this showcase from Microsoft had very little in the ways of showmanship. They just showed a fuck ton of games and had the big 3 speak for less than a minute each.

It's good Sony fans are putting their feet to the fire. Hopefully they will listen.

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
So which one of these crushing showcase games will I get to play first and when?
I remember seeing several 2025 tags and a few with no dates at all.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I'm glad Xbox bringing the heat, but sadly, I can't see it denting PlayStation's domination over Xbox.

But the Xbox showcase has brought me some faith back into MS.
Showcases, especially of late, don’t impact anyone’s bottom line. It did what it needed to - showed games. Why people lose their minds and run with hyperbole after each is anyone’s guess.

“Screw history! It’s all about hyyyyyyyyyype”! Meanwhile in the real world, this will be remembered as most are, a show. And I mean that towards PlayStation too. I’d rather have game releases than hype.

That said, what Xbox showed was great (Doom/Gears/STALKER are really all I needed). So, I’m just happy that we have new content on the way.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

And I'll tell you again that I would rather have a roadmap actually showing what is coming than dang near nothing at all. If that roadmap is two to three years out then that is completely fine. I didn't say Microsoft's previous announcement/release schedule was my "benchmark" at all my man. Games like Fable should have a release date by now.

If a two year shedule from announcement to release, like with Spider-man 2, is what we are talking about then the next game from Sony after Astro is going to be 2026, but we know that is not the case so why didn't Sony show their 2025 games last year? I can't see rhyme or reason to what they are doing.

And I'll tell you again that I would rather have a roadmap actually showing what is coming than dang near nothing at all. If that roadmap is two to three years out then that is completely fine. I didn't say Microsoft's previous announcement/release schedule was my "benchmark" at all my man. Games like Fable should have a release date by now.

If a two year shedule from announcement to release, like with Spider-man 2, is what we are talking about then the next game from Sony after Astro is going to be 2026, but we know that is not the case so why didn't Sony show their 2025 games last year? I can't see rhyme or reason to what they are doing.

Phil PR mode activate

Wait until the next showcase

Del_X

Most of the games are coming to PlayStation so what's the big deal lol. I think only Perfect Dark and Fable are "exclusive" (and I honestly think MSFT will just make big tentpole games timed exclusive in the long run)

Tg89

Lol people have such short memories.

State of Play sucked but people giving the MS one an A are delusional. More than half the good stuff had a vague release window or none at all. Perfect Dark didn't even have a year attached and was clearly not even gameplay.

MS did the same thing like 2-3 years ago? Look where that went, half the stuff still isn't out and most of the stuff that did come out ended up sucking. Hopefully this time is different but not gonna believe that shit till I see it.

Zheph

It would look good when you announce new hardware, just speculation

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Lol people have such short memories.

State of Play sucked but people giving the MS one an A are delusional. More than half the good stuff had a vague release window or none at all. Perfect Dark didn't even have a year attached and was clearly not even gameplay.

MS did the same thing like 2-3 years ago? Look where that went, half the stuff still isn't out and most of the stuff that did come out ended up sucking. Hopefully this time is different but not gonna believe that shit till I see it.
Wait, Perfect Dark didn’t look like gameplay to you?

GHG

Gold Member

Personally my feeling is that over the last few years Sony have put too many resources towards GAAS projects (to the detriment of the kind of stuff they usually do) and many of those have ended up in development hell (or been outright cancelled in the case of factions). I'd like to be proven wrong, but there is the potential issue where they don't have much in the way of games that I'd actually be interested in to show right now, which is it's own issue.

What I don't want them to do however is panic and start announcing stuff that is 5/6/7 years out leading to perpetual "in engine" trailers for those games at every subsequent annual showcase. I have absolutely no interest in that, and for people who do like that sort of thing then there's a platform (or "ecosystem" as it is now) that will perfectly cater to their needs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom