• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation fans air grievances at Sony under crushing Xbox showcase hype

Romulus

I didn’t say anything about tweets from last year.

Anyway, that’s great. In regards to the grand scheme, our personal feelings are irrelevant. And there is always this exact same sense of excitement after one of their shows on the internet.

Until they deliver, all that will remain is forum dweller hype.

Whatever the reaction was last year is irrelevant to me. I know this is actually exciting for a change. Every xbox show for the last ten years has been filled with shit I didn't want to play until now. Some of that is because I'm not impressed with what sony has showed us. GT7 VR is the best thing they've done all generation.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I miss the PS1 and PS2 days. Hell, even the PS3 had a bunch of weird experimental shit.

Nowadays, everything feels rote and soulless. Astro Bot was a breath of fresh air, but basically everything else was Sony taking a big grey shit on their legacy.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Whatever the reaction was last year is irrelevant to me. I know this is actually exciting for a change. Every xbox show for the last ten years has been filled with shit I didn't want to play until now. Some of that is because I'm not impressed with what sony has showed us. GT7 VR is the best thing they've done all generation.
Again, that's cool for you.

nial

now all they seem to do is follow gaas around like little lost puppies.
Yeah, let's ignore all the other stuff that they've been funding and publishing.
YG55hIJ.jpeg
cMwq3Bk.jpeg
gxLxuVd.jpeg
piVsDJO.jpeg

fallingdove

It’s just some nonsense narrative

They’d rather play a showcase than play actual games
Agreed. I do feel as though that this is a learning opportunity for Sony in the high-end gaming space.

They can’t just sit back and Nintendo their way through a console cycle, and they can’t CG out every single not-e3 with games that are multiple years away. But they need to strike a better balance of executing today but teasing tomorrow. Otherwise you get people trying to compare a state of play (most recent frame of reference) to a Microsoft games (cutscene trailer) showcase and dropping some mind share.

nial

Sony been slacking and extremely cocky this gen because they know their competition has been laughably bad. They've been relying hard with their third person slops for a long time now and obviously scared to take a risk and invest on new things. They have no 1st Party AAA first person military shooters, J/WRPGs, arcade racers, and their Japanese studios are pretty much non existent outside of Team Asobi and Polyphony which is incredibly ironic for a Japanese company. They hired an extremely bias CEO. They're gonna get cooked next gen if they don't change or take a risk.
No, it isn't. Most of the output of major Japanese publishers come from external partners, and your other points are ridiculous. AAA military shooters? Who the fuck cares?
Sony’s blockbusters just aren’t that exciting to me. Fucking sucks they closed the Japanese studio
First of all, they did not close 'the Japanese studio', and second, Astro Bot already looks to have a bigger budget and pushing than any SIEJ game since 1999 that wasn't made by Polyphony Digital.
Buggy Loop Buggy Loop I'm sure you must have a response to this 🤔 (or probably not, since you most likely know nothing about SIEJ).

Last edited:

Hohenheim

I'm not gonna bother writing about the weirdness of reading about grown ups being a "fan" of a specific brand in this industry, and somehow ignoring lots of great stuff (except there I did)
It's (almost) like only listning to records released by one label or reading books by one publisher. Very strange.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
And your opinion is cool for you, whatever that is.
That in the grand scheme of things, our anecdotal feelings don't matter. No matter how much you enjoyed what they had to show, if it doesn't translate into a true blow to their competition, it was nothing more than a good show. Which is very much why the reaction to the past shows matter in this discussion.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Sony, in the past, was criticised heavily for revealing games too early into development; now it finds itself underfire for not following that same philosophy. It’s a case of damned if you do, damned if you don’t, then – but ultimately, as we noted, the reception doesn’t lie. PlayStation hasn’t put together a universally praised presentation for quite a while, and at some point, that will need to change.

Damned if you do damned if you don't. That's true, and it sucks for Sony and Microsoft that customers want it both ways, but at the end of the day, we are the customers and if they don't give us what we want, we don't buy it.

I believe there is a healthy balance and compromise to be had. It doesn't have to be such a binary dynamic. One of the good things about early announcements is that you can get a feel for the reception of a game before you've spent too many resources on it. If Concord had been shown off earlier, and people had as lukewarm a reception then as they do now, maybe it would have given Sony a clue that this isn't the kind of game we really want.

Taur007

There's no change when 70-80% of games are also coming to PS. If they were exclusive? Sure. But that's not the case, all of these games will sell better on PS.

The only people assuming a change in momentum are chronically online gaming fans or console fanboys
70 - 80%, you think that many games are coming? GL with that

Euler007

All these whiners, ive got more and better games than ever before. My backlog is crazy
Same. Hell I have one PS3 game and multiple PS4 game in my backlog. Xbox crushing hype has been around since Halo Infinite. Nothing on that list is on the level of what Starfield was supposed to be.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
First of all, they did not close 'the Japanese studio', and second, Astro Bot already looks to have a bigger budget and pushing than any SIEJ game since 1999 that wasn't made by Polypony Digital.

Team ico and gravity rush director gone with all the rest of lineup that build up since 90’s? Team Asobi with astrobot left? That’s it?

Gordon Ramsay GIF by Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours to Hell and Back

It’s not Japan studio. The end

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I dont know why everyone is still treating this like Xbox isnt releasing games on PS5. The competition is over. Its done
But its good to tell Sony there shows have been shit for years and they arent even trying, they been awful for a long time

nial

Team ico and gravity rush director gone with all the rest of lineup that build up since 90’s? Team Asobi with astrobot left? That’s it?

Gordon Ramsay GIF by Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours to Hell and Back's 24 Hours to Hell and Back
Ueda gone for 13 YEARS after spending an absurd amount of time and money on a project that was obviously going nowhere, and Toyama gone after SIE was not willing to fund him another big project ready to flop.
As I said, if you actually knew about SIEJ, you would realize that Astro Bot is much more on par with the development culture of the company (Ape Escape, LocoRoco, Rimo Cocoron, Motor Toon Grand Prix, Otostaz, Shibai Michi, Doko Demo Issyo) than any of your examples, which are usually the most obvious ones for people wanting to mindlessly cry about Japan Studio (without even knowing what they were in the first place).
Thank god you did not mention Bloodborne at the very least.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Ueda gone for 13 YEARS after spending an absurd amount of time and money on a project that was obviously going nowhere, and Toyama gone after SIE was not willing to fund him another big project ready to flop.
As I said, if you actually knew about SIEJ, you would realize that Astro Bot is much more on par with the development culture of the company (Ape Escape, LocoRoco, Rimo Cocoron, Motor Toon Grand Prix, Otostaz, Shibai Michi, Doko Demo Issyo) than any of your examples, which are usually the most obvious ones for people wanting to mindlessly cry about Japan Studio (without even knowing what they were in the first place).
Thank god you did not mention Bloodborne at the very least.

So magical timeless games that defined the Sony I loved for PSX and PS2 are gone for the prestige western AAA blockbusters? That’s not a win

I play games, not financial decisions

It’s a huge loss

Microsoft blew it out of the water and hopefully, their sales pick up dramatically with the new console offerings. That would maybe push Sony to stop being lazy and possibly give me SOCOM.
I dont see how how sales will pick up since gamepass will take away from it and they also are all on pc. also socom is better off left dead, they wont do it right.

Eiknarf

Banned
I'm not gonna bother writing about the weirdness of reading about grown ups being a "fan" of a specific brand in this industry, and somehow ignoring lots of great stuff (except there I did)
It's (almost) like only listning to records released by one label or reading books by one publisher. Very strange.
That’s a good point. Imagine :

“I won’t listen to Gojira because they’re on a different label than Slipknot”

“Screw Doja Cat because she’s on a different label than Megan Thee Stallion”

However, It would be weird to see and play The Last of Us on an XBOX, though.

Gaming is more like TV shows exclusively being on specific streaming networks. You could only watch THE BEAR on Hulu, or REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER on Max, or LOVE IS BLIND on Netflix…etc

This way of doling out entertainment creates battles, and conflict, and tribalism. But such is life and capitalism. Ya cant have LeBron James play on all the basketball teams. He plays on one!

Last edited:

nial

So magical timeless games that defined the Sony I loved for PSX and PS2 are gone for the prestige western AAA blockbusters? That’s not a win
Sony is publishing 8 new games this entire year, now tell me which ones of those is a 'Western AAA blockbuster'.
Please get new and better material already. Or go play Astro Bot, which is like all the 'magical timeless games' of the PS1 and PS2 era that you probably don't even know about.

FeralEcho

Yeah, let's ignore all the other stuff that they've been funding and publishing.
YG55hIJ.jpeg
cMwq3Bk.jpeg
gxLxuVd.jpeg
piVsDJO.jpeg
What was wrong about my statement?

Do they not focus on gaas? Did they not issue a statement about wanting more gaas games in their portfolio? Helldivers 2,Concord,Marathon,Naughty Dog wasting 5 years on a GAAS Factions that got canceled?

Did I say ALL their games would be gaas? I said they are chasing gaas...which they are.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Sony is publishing 8 new games this entire year, now tell me which ones of those is a 'Western AAA blockbuster'.
Please get new and better material already. Or go play Astro Bot, which is like all the 'magical timeless games' of the PS1 and PS2 era that you probably don't even know about.

I would trade ALL Sony games on PC for getting the team ico trio games and gravity rush

All of them

There’s no convincing me otherwise

What are you even trying to do here? It’s my opinion. I don’t give a shit you think they wasted Sony potential and that now is better with them gone. What a sad white Sony knight. Working overtime to convince me it’s better now. I can find countless threads on internet of peoples missing these kind of games, so we’re all wrong? But asTRoboT I guess 🙄

bender

What time is it?

I play games, not financial decisions

It’s a huge loss

Financial outcomes is what allows games to be made. The majority of Sony's current output doesn't really interest me either, but it's hard to argue against their success. Sometimes you just have to move on.

Last edited:

nial

I would trade ALL Sony games on PC for getting the team ico trio games and gravity rush

All of them

There’s no convincing me otherwise
I don't care? I just want to know which one is the 'Western AAA blockbuster' out of the 8 new Sony-published games this year.
What are you even trying to do here? It’s my opinion. I don’t give a shit you think they wasted Sony potential and that now is better with them gone. What a sad white Sony knight. Working overtime to convince me it’s better now. I can find countless threads on internet of peoples missing these kind of games, so we’re all wrong? But asTRoboT I guess 🙄
To answer my question? It's just that simple, man.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Financial outcomes is what allows games to be made. The majority of Sony's current output doesn't really interest me either, but it's hard to argue against their success. Sometimes you just have to move on.

Right

And it has pushed me away 🤷‍♂️

Thus my comment that I’m having a lot more MS games now on wishlist than Sony. It just doesn’t click with me. Every single big hitter they put on PC actually convinced me to not buy the sequels. Astonishing really. I know they are big hitters, I know Sony is winning, just zero hype so far for me. I ain’t buying a PS5 for astrobot exclusivity…

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
People want a showcase, not good games. Since we played all the games they showed. Imagine a quarter of those games with a low 70’s or even 60 on Metacritic. Fable comes out and it’s broken with bugs and frame rate issues. I bet some of them will be good.

nial

What was wrong about my statement?

Do they not focus on gaas? Did they not issue a statement about wanting more gaas games in their portfolio? Helldivers 2,Concord,Marathon,Naughty Dog wasting 5 years on a GAAS Factions that got canceled?

Did I say ALL their games would be gaas? I said they are chasing gaas...which they are.
Literally no one says that they are not focusing on GAAS, but...
now all they seem to do is follow gaas around like little lost puppies.
yes, you kinda implied that.

nial

Astonishing really. I know they are big hitters, I know Sony is winning, just zero hype so far for me. I ain’t buying a PS5 for astrobot exclusivity…
It's fine? It's your own money, do whatever you want with it, but why does it seem like you are constantly avoiding my question?
I don't care? I just want to know which one is the 'Western AAA blockbuster' out of the 8 new Sony-published games this year.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member

8? This year? Well you’re gonna have to help me on that. Concord, astrobot… is silent hill 2 considered Sony? I’m at a loss of anything else 2024 but again, PC. Probably ain’t buying ragnarok. Ain’t interested in the inevitable Spider-Man 2 either.

PatientGamer

Gold Member
Interesting how Microsoft barely (if at all) mentioned the word 'Exclusive'. So PS5 fans have nothing to worry about; I think 95% of what they showed will be coming on PS5.

Top Bottom