• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | April 2015

bobohoro

I haven't played an Ys game. Which should I start out with?

Depends.
Want to experience the whole series and go from the beginning? Ys 1&2.
Want to get the best game in the series with the tightest combat system? Ys Oath in Felghana.
Want to get something more traditional-rpgey with a whole battle party, more story and stuff? Seven or Celceta.

Haven't played Origins yet, don't like PC gaming sadly, but will one day try to force myself to it, so someone else would have to chime in on that one.

TOTP: Buy Ys. And Toukiden Kiwami.

PlayStation Mobile #8 - 50 cent games #2: More 50 cent games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXu30cBi4Dk

Console Saga - A really good Bionic Commando 2D platformer type game.

yEaLWYX.jpg

Radiant Flux - A boring top down shooter with weird controls.

1XeVzmo.jpg

Maison Kanraku - A 2D stealth game where you distract grannies with underwear.

Horrifying Image from It

SPmJNwx.jpg

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
So all Experience games can be imported with english subtitles and no language barrier?

There are NO English subtitles for the Japanese versions.

I have no idea why people always keep assuming that there will be for Japanese games. It is highly rare when a title has English subtitles.

When importing games, you have to ask yourself how adapt am I at being able to play something I cant read / willing to look up information. People like Dorarnae for example are an exception to the rule so would not use him as a good example that DRPGs that one cant read are something anyone can do. As there will be sections where something is explained and without a FAQ to know what is being said users might get stuck / frustrated etc.

Before importing titles unless its something that is a day 1 sorta purchase, its also good to go taking time out on your own to go looking if there is English information available in the event if you get stuck in the game. Depending on how popular said title is may / may not have English info available also.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
How Japanese games get English subtitles:

1. Situations like Phoenix Wright where they are making a new version of the game intended to be sold in the west.

2. Games that are going to be released globally at the same time.

3. Games intended to be released broadly throughout Asia. Sometimes though the English on these is less than good though.

4. Games made in the west, of course.

autoduelist

There are NO English subtitles for the Japanese versions.

I have no idea why people always keep assuming that there will be for Japanese games. It is highly rare when a title has English subtitles.

I didn't assume, I was just following the conversation and was surprised when "everything from experience." was the answer so i was doublechecking.

Relevant from the conversation:

Yup. Importing these days is pretty trivial. There's always a site with what you want, shipping isn't TOO bad, and lots of games get asian releases with english sub/dub.

any recommended drpgs?

everything from experience.

So all Experience games can be imported with english subtitles and no language barrier?

I asked the last question to doublecheck because I didn't think that was true, but since the conversation was about easy to import games, I was hoping i was wrong. Sounds like there was some miscommunication, but I was asking if there were any drpgs among the games he was talking about (" lots of games get asian releases with english sub/dub").

Tohsaka

It would be nice if more of the Asian releases had English text. A lot of them get Chinese versions, but they don't include English text usually unfortunately.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
It looks like the amazon page answered my question itself(multiple people reported that works good on PS3, slim too) but still thank you, I'll still read this as it looks like an useful read

Good luck! At least you have the info you need now.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
There's a US cart version of Epic Mickey 2 on Vita?!

I had heard it mentioned months and months ago, and even saw a pic from someone who had it.
I've been searching ever since and this finally popped up on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221682399277?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

So I'm hoping this is actually it.
Who knows where they came from.

EDIT: Even if it turns out to be the EU version, it'll be cheaper than the usual cost. Crossing my fingers though.

wilflare

just to throw this out there
if anyone needs help w the Asian (English) release of Vita games (like Oreshika, FFX-2 HD) - drop me or a PM or something, I may be able to help you get it from my local store and ship it to you :)

hopefully it's cheaper than what Play-Asia, etc is offering

Shizuka

I had heard it mentioned months and months ago, and even saw a pic from someone who had it.
I've been searching ever since and this finally popped up on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221682399277?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

So I'm hoping this is actually it.
Who knows where they came from.

EDIT: Even if it turns out to be the EU version, it'll be cheaper than the usual cost. Crossing my fingers though.

That can't be legit. If it is, it's probably another country that got a print with the ESRB logo, like Mexico or Canada.

Shinriji

just to throw this out there
if anyone needs help w the Asian (English) release of Vita games (like Oreshika, FFX-2 HD) - drop me or a PM or something, I may be able to help you get it from my local store and ship it to you :)

hopefully it's cheaper than what Play-Asia, etc is offering

If you could, check those prices for me and send me a PM. Hopefully we can sort it out.

Tizoc

I haven't played an Ys game. Which should I start out with?

3, Oath in Felghana.

FYI Ys 1 and 2's 'combat' system is old style and won't sit well making them a questionable starting point.

Ys 3's combat is more 'approachable' and offers good challenge while still being a good action adventure RPG game, with a godly soundtrack.

There's a US cart version of Epic Mickey 2 on Vita?!

Epic Mickey 2 on Vita is a surprisingly good port. The game is much better than the first one and gets the game into the OK range. Not the most exciting game. It is less of a platformer and and more of a fetch quest game. Vita port runs smooth and looks great.

Nudull

Banned
Epic Mickey 2 on Vita is a surprisingly good port. The game is much better than the first one and gets the game into the OK range. Not the most exciting game. It is less of a platformer and and more of a fetch quest game. Vita port runs smooth and looks great.

Weird, I've heard from just about everyone that it was a godawful sequel. It was a shame, considering that I loved the first one despite its flaws.

VLiberty

I've heard bad things of EM2 and the original was already bad enough for me, but as a 3d platformer sucker I still want to try it...

Shizuka

I've decided to finally put down a list of games where you can't find a physical print in North America, where you'll have to impost from elsewhere if you want a retail copy:

Japanese games:

- Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z (Europe, Asia);
- Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines (Asia);
- Soul Sacrifice Delta (Asia);
- Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment (Asia);
- New Little King's Story (Europe, Asia);
- Dokuro (Asia);
- Moero Chronicles (Asia);
- Sword Art Online: Lost Song (Asia);
- Steins;Gate (Europe);
- Minecraft (Europe, Asia);
- Final Fantasy X-2 HD (Asia);
- Orgarhythm* (Asia);
- J-Stars Victory+ (Europe);
- One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 (Europe).

Western games:

- Playstation Pets (Europe);
- Football Manager 14 (Europe);
- Ratchet and Clank Trilogy (Europe);
- PQube racing games / MotoGP, MXGP (Europe);
- Tetris Ultimate (Europe);
- Invizimals (Europe);
- Farming Simulator 2014 (Europe);
- The Muppets Movie Adventure (Europe);
- Space Hulk (Europe).

Indies:

- Retro City Rampage DX;
- Teslagrad.

Steins;Gate is listed as for now, you can only pre-order the european version. Am I missing anything?

* Thanks Ventara!

Ventara

I've decided to finally put down a list of games where you can't find a physical print in North America, where you'll have to impost from elsewhere if you want a retail copy:

Do all these physical copies have an English language option?

Ventara

Yes, I've listed the ones that have english subtitles. If one of the games listed doesn't, let me know and I'll remove it.

I don't think Sumioni has English subtitles. I have the JP version so I can't check, but I'm pretty sure I checked online if the AS version has it before buying, and iirc it doesn't.

Edit: Maybe you meant Orgarhythm?

Weird, I've heard from just about everyone that it was a godawful sequel. It was a shame, considering that I loved the first one despite its flaws.

We probably have different tastes if you actually liked the first one. Maybe it is about expectations because as a Disney super fan I was so excited for the first Epic Mickey and I haven't been so pissed about about a game sucking in my adult life except for maybe Duke Nukem Forever. With the second one, I had really low expectations and it controlled so much better than with the crappy Wii controls. On Vita the second one looks and runs better than the original Wii game. Still too boring to be a favorite but it wastes some time OK.

I've heard bad things of EM2 and the original was already bad enough for me, but as a 3d platformer sucker I still want to try it...

I got it super cheap in a flash sale. If the history of flash sales continues, stuff in flash sales will continue to show up in flash sales. Get it when it eventually goes on sale again.

Here is an image:

hHhtxrb.jpg

Ventara

So I was browsing PA when I saw LoH:TitSFC for Vita. I completely forgot this was even a thing. What are the chances XSEED will bring this to the west? Probably zero, but I'd buy it (for like the 10th time) if they did. It'd renew the interest I lost for SC over these past few years.

Shizuka

I don't think Sumioni has English subtitles. I have the JP version so I can't check, but I'm pretty sure I checked online if the AS version has it before buying, and iirc it doesn't.

Edit: Maybe you meant Orgarhythm?

I think either one of those or both had, because the asian version came out so close to the american release.

Nudull

Banned
We probably have different tastes if you actually liked the first one. Maybe it is about expectations because as a Disney super fan I was so excited for the first Epic Mickey and I haven't been so pissed about about a game sucking in my adult life except for maybe Duke Nukem Forever. With the second one, I had really low expectations and it controlled so much better than with the crappy Wii controls. On Vita the second one looks and runs better than the original Wii game. Still too boring to be a favorite but it wastes some time OK.

I'm a big Disney fan too, and I came to appreciate Epic Mickey. Sure, it wasn't the super-dark game everyone was hoping for, but there was some genuine love put into the story and the world of Wasteland. I even became an Oswald fan because of it.

There is a part of me that still wants to play Epic Mickey 2 and the 3DS game, if nothing else but to give myself closure on the series.

Producer

So I was browsing PA when I saw LoH:TitSFC for Vita. I completely forgot this was even a thing. What are the chances XSEED will bring this to the west? Probably zero, but I'd buy it (for like the 10th time) if they did. It'd renew the interest I lost for SC over these past few years.

No chance at all.

Ventara

I think either one of those or both had, because the asian version came out so close to the american release.

I mean Sumioni doesn't, while Orgarhythm does have English subtitles. They were both localized by XSEED, so I thought you might have gotten mixed up when you listed Sumioni but not Orgarhythm

No chance at all.

That's what I expect as well, unfortunately. Are they even planning to release SC this year still?

Producer

That's what I expect as well, unfortunately. Are they even planning to release SC this year still?

Yeah, this year. Despite all the delays, it looks like its going to actually release this year, since they have said that the translation is finished. Hopefully we can get the 3rd Chapter sometime next year lol.

Ventara

Has anyone shopped at drakuli.com before? They still have the Oreshika LE, but I've never heard of them so I'm hesitant.

Yeah, this year. Despite all the delays, it looks like its going to actually release this year, since they have said that the translation is finished. Hopefully we can get the 3rd Chapter sometime next year lol.

lol, good one.
:(

Japanese games:

- Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z (Europe, Asia);
- Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines (Asia);
- Soul Sacrifice Delta (Asia);
- Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment (Asia);
- New Little King's Story (Europe, Asia);
- Dokuro (Asia);
- Moero Chronicles (Asia);
- Sword Art Online: Lost Song (Asia);
- Steins;Gate (Europe);
- Minecraft (Europe, Asia);
- Final Fantasy X-2 HD (Asia);
- Orgarhythm* (Asia);
- J-Stars Victory+ (Europe);
- One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 (Europe).

Western games:

- Playstation Pets (Europe);
- Football Manager 14 (Europe);
- Ratchet and Clank Trilogy (Europe);
- PQube racing games / MotoGP, MXGP (Europe);
- Tetris Ultimate (Europe);
- Invizimals (Europe);
- Farming Simulator 2014 (Europe);
- The Muppets Movie Adventure (Europe);
- Space Hulk (Europe).

Indies:

- Retro City Rampage DX;
- Teslagrad.

Steins;Gate is listed as for now, you can only pre-order the european version. Am I missing anything?

* Thanks Ventara!

You're missing the two Tadeo Jones games. They were both only released in Spain, but they both have English as an option. I've been trying to find an import of the most recent one for months, but it's surprisingly hard to get.

SerTapTap

My PS4 keeps switching back to Automatic color depth (AKA limited because it's stupid and detects wrongly). What causes that? All my devices support deep color. I haven't noticed anything resetting it, sometimes when I use it, black just isn't black anymore and I have to go set it back to Full.

Li Kao

Still struggling to add a PS4 to my budget, I... have a stupid question.

If the pad is as wonderful as everyone says it is, I will want to use it on my PC too, but in that case... wouldn't I be forced to buy a second controller ? These days I have no PS3 and so the DualShock 3 is only used by the PC, but what if I have a PS4 plugged and I try using a DualShock 4 it with the PC, won't this result in a big mess ?

The thing is awfully hard to explain but it's quite simple in reality, can I use a DS4 with a PS4 AND a PC ?

Shizuka

You're missing the two Tadeo Jones games. They were both only released in Spain, but they both have English as an option. I've been trying to find an import of the most recent one for months, but it's surprisingly hard to get.

Those two are in a weird situation, since they haven't been released in North America, not even as a download. They're true european exclusives.

Tohsaka

Won't happen unfortunately since it's not made by Falcom. It's the same situation as the Vita versions of Zero and Ao no Kiseki.

Top Bottom