• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | April 2015

wilflare

VitaGAF rule #1: Always get a game I'm interested in~

you shouldn't be encouraging me Tizoc

TOTP after Tizoc
Buy Bastion, play it on Vita
Buy Axiom Verge, play it on Vita
Buy Toukiden Kiwami Vita!

and well support Bloodborne PS4 if you haven't already done so

autoduelist

FFS, of all the games to get pulled, that's a travesty. Do they usually put games like that back after the firmware's patch?

Yes, or thereabouts.

Happy Birthday!

Picked up LBP in the sale. There is a funny minigame where you have to hold the Vita sideways, are there other games that do that?

Both pinball games, but I don't play that way.

Sounds good, I wonder how SAO even happened.

I had to have an essay translated once. It was an odd experience. You pay someone a fair amount of money to translate everything, and have absolutely no idea how good of a job they did unless you pay someone else to verify it. And if there was something severely wrong with it, you'd basically have to start over paying someone new. I'm guessing they got ripped off and won't use the same translation service.

I suppose best case (in terms of result) the publisher would have someone on payroll that is multi-lingual, but that's really asking a lot for a project that is, realistically, best farmed out to a translation service. But then you're at their mercy.

Shizuka

This is one of the games on my "buy" list. It looks awesome from the screens I've seen of it, though I have yet to read any reviews.

I was curious about this game since I saw it at a Gamestop last week. Is the plot itself good?

I bought that when it came out, but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. I think I might play it next, after I finish Hotline Miami 2.

now I really regret not getting it :/

The game is surprisingly nice. It's nowhere near great, but it has enough fun to be had during the visual novel sections, since the story and characters are interesting and the battle system makes sense after you "get it". I must one of the few here that got the game, I bought it at launch but only got to play it now.

Phototropic

Neo Member
The game is surprisingly nice. It's nowhere near great, but it has enough fun to be had during the visual novel sections, since the story and characters are interesting and the battle system makes sense after you "get it". I must one of the few here that got the game, I bought it at launch but only got to play it now.
I've played the first 4 episodes and really liked it. There were some complaints before release that the battle system was unforgiving and there would be a lot of restarts, but that hasn't been my experience. I think in about the 20-30 scenarios I have played (including optional side missions) I only had to restart one due to losing.

The combat does involve a bit of luck in that you are trying to corner the ghosts and get them to stumble into your attacking zones, so if that is unappealing I could see it being frustrating. Otherwise I agree as far as the visual novel parts really looking nice and the episodic nature of the story making it easy to put down and come back to later.

A couple of tips: Make liberal use of salt to corner ghosts, and make sure you do a handful of side missions to figure out the combat before proceeding with the story.

nampad

How's LBP Vita? Is the create mode on par with the PS3 games, or is it watered down considerably? Also, is there any cross play with LBP 1 and 2, or their community content, aside from the LBP Vita controller DLC pack for LBP2?

Best LBP game. The create mode had everything LBP2 had and additional Vita stuff if - remember correctly.

EDIT: Case in point-
TOTP get Tokyo Ghost twilight whatsitsname and also get Bomberman '94 if you have a US account.

Your recommendations of Stick it to the.Man and Broken Sword 5 disappointed me :(

SerTapTap

I thought Stick It To The Man was pretty good but you absolutely have to have the right sense of humor for it. The puzzles were only okay at best.

RK128

I thought Stick It To The Man was pretty good but you absolutely have to have the right sense of humor for it. The puzzles were only okay at best.

I have to agree with you TapTap; the game is fantastic for people who love or fondly remember South Park but if you don't like the show, the games humor can really turn you off (as, well it is South Park and they make fun of EVERYONE).

Its gameplay systems are also not the strongest, despite them being quite solid; the combat system isn't as clear as say the Paper Mario tittles or the Mario and Luigi series (which the combat system was based on with timing your button presses), as you only get a little flash on the screen to indicate whenever or not you press a button.

Exploring South Park was also a bit tricky, as the map system is....honestly quite bad X(. As someone with a non-HD TV, the map was very small and the zooming options didn't do anything to help. But as someone who loved the show, I remembered where a lot of the locations were and after you find all the fast-travel points, going from place to place becomes more of an non-issue.

Lastly, the save system is a bit tricky if you are hunting for trophies; sections latter in the game give you the opportunity to make some big choices, so if you make one and don't make an extra file, you will lose access to the trophy unless you decide to do another full playthrough of the game.

Overall though, for the five bucks I plaid for this on PSN, I love it :D! Reminds me what I loved so much from the show episodes and movie, and the game doing such a good job representing South Park in game form really should be commend for :D. One of the great licensed games out their I think :).

Edit: Wow, got Stick it to the Man completely mixed up with Stick of Truth O_O.....Feel like an idiot X(. If anyone wants a more detailed impression of the South Park game though....I guess here is my impressions then :). Sorry for the mix-up TapTap :(.

SerTapTap

Edit: Wow, got Stick it to the Man completely mixed up with Stick of Truth O_O.....Feel like an idiot X(. If anyone wants a more detailed impression of the South Park game though....I guess here is my impressions then :). Sorry for the mix-up TapTap :(.

I was wondering what you were talking about there for a minute. I should have got stick of truth during that pricing error...I kind of wanted a physical copy and knew I wouldn't play it any time soon so I waffled--didn't realize it was an error either.

Li Kao

PS4 ordered, should arrive early next week if my previous purchases with this online retailer are of any indication (damn). Now I will have to sell a ton of little things to make up for the price, and as a PC player I'm not even sure it will be used as it should.
But then again Persona 5 and Bloodborne, it really couldn't be helped :p

First game played will surely be Samurai Warriors 4 and Bloodborne. That without considering the PS+ games that picked my interest like Resogun.

Now to decide, physical or digital...

I would have bought it if it ever had turned up on the Eu store.

Element4l is missing this week as well as never alone for the ps4 (ps+ title).

Edit: found Element4l and never alone on the web store, no sign of Tokyo twilight ghosthunters for vita though. No answer on twitter Ether :|

Khronico

Hmmm.

My 120gb PS3 slim shutdown due to heat issues today, first time it's done that in the 6 years I've owned it. Cleaned out the dust with compressed air and it turns on fine, but I'm scared this is a harbinger of further problems. I still have so many PS3 games to play, don't die on me old girl!

Li Kao

Random questions time ^_^
Is Second Son linked to Infamous 1 or 2 ? I would love to play it but I fear my OCD would be tinggling.
Same for Killzone, is it a continuation of the story ?
Have the load times of Bloodborne been patched ?
Does Kiwami PS4 frame rate really suffer as the early impressions I had read tended to say ?

Shun

Hmmm.

My 120gb PS3 slim shutdown due to heat issues today, first time it's done that in the 6 years I've owned it. Cleaned out the dust with compressed air and it turns on fine, but I'm scared this is a harbinger of further problems. I still have so many PS3 games to play, don't die on me old girl!

Was it properly ventilated?

The PS3 Slim is built pretty well. It gets slightly warm but it rarely gets hot or gets heat issues in my experience.

I have 17GB left on my PS3, but I couldn't download a 1908mb patch because "not enough free space". Anyone knows why it says that, even if I have 17gb of free space ?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My Vita has been getting a bit dusty; nothing's coming out for me til June, so I suppose it's expected.

I can't think of anything I'll buy either until Steins;Gate, which I might buy day one.

Everything else is going to be surprise sales like the one at the end of the month.

Khronico

Was it properly ventilated?

The PS3 Slim is built pretty well. It gets slightly warm but it rarely gets hot or gets heat issues in my experience.

I have tons of clearance on all sides since I have it on an elevated metal rack on top of my entertainment center.

And yes I agree, the slim is a great system. Generally it doesn't run hot at all and is extremely quiet for the most part.

So it looks like my problem with the HDD free space of my PS3 is because GT6 patches are huuuuuge and I will ran out of space. I got a physical copy of it, how big is the install size after all the patches, anyone knows ?

Khronico

So it looks like my problem with the HDD free space of my PS3 is because GT6 patches are huuuuuge and I will ran out of space. I got a physical copy of it, how big is the install size after all the patches, anyone knows ?

Mine shows 11gb but I have missed 2 recent updates. Probably around ~12gb fully patched.

Edit: Just updated, 2 patches totaling a little less than a GB.

Is Second Son linked to Infamous 1 or 2 ? I would love to play it but I fear my OCD would be tinggling.

Second Son is the same universe but none of the characters. You won't miss anything by not playing the first two.

Yeah the first three Killzone story spans the games but Shadowfall takes place far from the first three games and has no real refernces to the first three and almost seems like a reboot. Frankly I was mostly confused on the story of Shadowfall. Play Shadowfall for the multiplayer.

Tizoc

Best LBP game. The create mode had everything LBP2 had and additional Vita stuff if - remember correctly.

Your recommendations of Stick it to the.Man and Broken Sword 5 disappointed me :(

I liked both games, then again I am usually OK with games that have simple gameplay~

Vashetti

Banned
Live from PlayStation app on Vita got patched last night:

Version 2.00

• You can view broadcasts in a specific language. On the [Live] screen, select [Language] from the options menu.
  • You can view broadcasts for a specific game. Select a game on the [Games] screen.

I picked it up last night but haven't played it yet due to not having time to install it and waiting to upgrade from an 8GB to a 64GB card. I now have a nice backlog of Vita games (about 15 I think, along with like 3 PS Plus games I got in 2013 when I was subbed to it), just need a memory card for them all now.

autoduelist

Have the load times of Bloodborne been patched ?
Does Kiwami PS4 frame rate really suffer as the early impressions I had read tended to say ?

let's see.

Infamous SS is fairly standalone. Same universe, different time period (after the events of the previous), different characters. Infamous 1/2 basically set up the universe and 'rules', but where everything is at now is well explained in SS. You'll be fine starting with SS.

Killzone - definitely same universe. sort of the same as above, really. some really insane things happen in earlier kzs and now it's the aftermath. You don't really need to know all the individual stories that happened earlier, you just need to know it's a 'new world now' and the game sets that up well enough.

Bloodborne -- no, but they don't bother me at all. It's a nice breather, really. I think most people really notice it at the beginning because they die quite often getting used to the controls, but at this point? I rarely die, the load times are a non-issue. Sure, it means I don't want to jump between areas every other minute, but that's not really how bB is set p anyway.

kiwami - no idea. that sounds odd and unlikely, but hey, who knows.

deadfolk

no sign of Tokyo twilight ghosthunters for vita though. No answer on twitter Ether :|

Yep. Same here. Brandish too.

I played just first few minutes after the PS4 version came out on plus. Really enjoyed the vibe and keep meaning to go back to it. Shame it's not cross-buy or I probably would have done the Vita version by now.

I actually just picked this up last night (Marvel Edition). I tried the first couple off levels of the demo and was sold within minutes. Haven't started the full game yet. Genuinely amazed at the quality of the graphics.

My Vita has been getting a bit dusty; nothing's coming out for me til June, so I suppose it's expected.
Yeah with Xenoblade tomorrow, and The Witcher 3 in May I too think my Vita is gonna be put aside until then. As much as I love the system, I play games and hop around a lot if I have to in order to get what I want. Not a big deal, Operation Abyss is gonna be huge for me :p

Does anyone know if Play-Asia charges for preorders when you place the order or when they ship?

When you place the order. My Estival Versus got charged right away.

Not true in my experience. If the game is in stock and ready to be delievered they probably charge right away, but for pre-orders they only charge when they ship (or shortly before). The only exception is that when you pay with PayPal the always take the money right away.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I only learned yesterday that apparently the mysterious Vita port is supposed to be a video out, i was thinking, if Sony let us use that instead of deceiving us trying making money with the Vita TV don't you think it would have been better for everyone Sony included?

-No PSTV hassle, with missing games, lack of touchscreen etc.
-No PSTV at all, meaning no money for r&d, factory, support, shipping etc for just few thousands of sales
-Vita would have had more appeal meaning more sales(probably the sales increment would have been higher than the total PSTV sales and without all the money spent for the PSTV)

Vita is so mismanaged :(

deadfolk

Not true in my experience. If the game is in stock and ready to be delievered they probably charge right away, but for pre-orders they only charge when they ship (or shortly before). The only exception is that when you pay with PayPal the always take the money right away.

Hmm...not consistent then. Thanks, I'll probably have to play it safe. If I spend any more money this month, I'll have to suffer the wrath of the purse-keeper!

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I have just seen Dengeki scans and now i understand why Ray Gigant is called like that and it looks even more awesome than you think, some monsters are as tall as buildings and you attack them from distance while on top of a building or even from the ground looking up with the attacking character being closer to the camera.

gruenel

I just wanted to download my monthly PS+ games and the German store won't let me log in.

Not only that, they can't even display the error message properly:

AMJj0qZ.png

Classic Sony.

Anyone else having the same problem?

Massa

I only learned yesterday that apparently the mysterious Vita port is supposed to be a video out, i was thinking, if Sony let us use that instead of deceiving us trying making money with the Vita TV don't you think it would have been better for everyone Sony included?

-No PSTV at all, meaning no money for r&d, factory, support, shipping etc for just few thousands of sales
-Vita would have had more appeal meaning more sales(probably the sales increment would have been higher than the total PSTV sales and without all the money spent for the PSTV)

What you read is not true, that port isn't connected at all to video output.

I have just seen Dengeki scans and now i understand why Ray Gigant is called like that and it looks even more awesome than you think, some monsters are as tall as buildings and you attack them from distance while on top of a building or even from the ground looking up with the attacking character being closer to the camera.
I need to find these

I don't think it would have made a huge difference. PSP 2000/3000/Go already had the ability to connect to TV and it didn't seem a major selling point, at least that's my perception.

Bolded for truth.

I also read that (I don't know how reliable this site is, but: http://hackinformer.com/2014/03/04/ps-vitas-mystery-port-explained/)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Are you sure?
Wouldn't be easy to find the real function of it? If Sony r&d and even realized that port it means that there should be a patent somewhere right? Is it too hard to find for detectivegaf?

I need to find these
Maybe they are in a site that is about all games but is still beta. ;)

I don't think it would have made a huge difference. PSP 2000/3000/Go already had the ability to connect to TV and it didn't seem a major selling point, at least that's my perception.

Bolded for truth.
It wouldn't have been a major selling point, but a good selling point for some people yes, especially for those who bought PSTV and those who would have bought PSTV without all the hassles.

SerTapTap

*w* Quintet is so kawaii~

Seriously though, tons of promise in this combat system, it's extremely similar to Final Fantasy 10: Turn order displayed, delay/advance turns based on actions (very transparently, unlike Neptunia), and there's also special effects on certain turns (indicated on a turn bar) so you can delay/advance turns to give an advantage to yourself or withhold it from an enemy. There's also an omnipresent Sensor style thing that shows elemental and even status weaknesses of targets (meaning it is one of insanely few JRPGs where you can actually use status effects on bosses without a strategy guide), a Sphere grid (a huge but simple grid with no "pay levels to travel" BS, also it mostly teaches skills/passive effects not stats), it also features Overkill (deal full HP damage or double enemy's current HP to gain more actions before your opponent). When you have enough "action points" (via high level or overkills) you can even queue multiple attacks per turn.

I'm still not through the classically long JRPG tutorial, so I can't really be sure they're used/required to full effect, but there's a lot of promise in the combat system. I kind of wish I picked Advanced mode (there's 3 difficulties--standard easy/normal/hard). Advanced mode claims it's for if you want to enjoy "every aspect of the game" and not recommended for a first playthrough.

BTW there is idol performance/dancing stuff, like a make your own performance thing. Mercifully it seems to be entirely optional but I'm sure some like that more than I do.

I also hate the obligatory male idol manager dude. He's just kind of a smartass with no romantic interest in anyone which is quite a relief. He still feels a bit shoehorned in but I don't mind him.

PSP 2000's video out was about as bad as could be while still existing. RGB only IIRC, not a huge deal but less common than HDMI or (at the time) composite, and more importantly it didn't upscale, so you saw a tiny portion of your screen actually showing the game (at least it was pixel perfect I guess, if you have overscan off). Vita with upscaled even 720p out would have been pretty awesome. I still like my PS TV and use it regularly, just wish it were launched alongside the Vita so it had proper support from day one.

Top Bottom