• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | April 2015

I'm NA as well, but while the fact I can't log into PSN I would just attribute to maintenance or something, not being able to load the Sony Entertainment Network homepage or the Playstation Store homepage is very strange. No luck with different browsers.

You're saying you can load these websites?
https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/

*sigh* Guess I'll have to call support about it later. Never have any luck with them.

Yes, both of those load fine and I'm currently connected to the PSN using my PS4 (downloading Bloodborne).

jRO8VXD.png

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yup everyone is telling me to not go for it. I already have OA's LE preordered for June anyway, so I'll be getting my full dose of DRPG goodness then. At the pace that I am playing Xenoblade, exploring the world and immersing myself in it, it'll be a while until I feel the need to get another game. This game might look ugly to some, but there is some serious code black magic making these expansive vistas run on my n3DS without it blowing up or dropping frames. I don't think I remember playing a game with this much scale in it, it's ironic how it is running on a handheld system like the n3DS. Makes me wonder what this would have looked like on the Vita...

Currently on the Sony side personally there is not a team with the ability to pull off such a feat. The only ones that "might" come close is Level5. Which is something they had tried way back in the days with White Knight Chronicles though that game got fucked up somewhere in the process when an earlier version that I had hands on with was better than the finished product. The character models took a step backwards too. I had heard that they were told by Sony to add in features which caused changes to the design. Though there does not seem to be any official reports about that. Though would not be surprised esp considering how the title turned out poorly.

Though these days does not seem like Level5 is really all that interested in doing such titles anymore unfortunately.

I still have no idea how the hell Monolith Soft does it. Even though the N3DS port was done by a US company, Monster Games most def they worked closely with Monolith Soft. Kinda interesting too with Monster Games doing the port since for the most part they seem to do racing titles. Asides from the Donkey Kong Country Returns / Pilot Wings Resort 3DS titles.

autoduelist

but I tend to agree that a Vita3000 is very very unlikely. Sony won't invest in to new games with any real budget, so I doubt they'd invest in the R&D for a new console rendition.

I'm sure Sony knows exactly what the usage stats on remote play are. If they are good enough, it could justify a remote play centric device (4 triggers, etc), and any other changes to hardware to 'update' remote play to make it work better.

I mean, there's going to be a market for that type of device even after we have PS5s. So there is a chance. On one hand, it seems like a terribly remote chance, on the other hand, it does make sense when you consider the future of remote play.

Massa

...This isn't relevant. Maid's comment was speaking to the fact that the 3DS isn't questioned in the same way the Vita is. Even if there is indication of a positive trend for the Vita, there are those who are very determined to discredit it. Mostly I think it's because being contrary makes people feel somehow superior, but I can't speak for them.

As to that specific thread... There are a lot of shitposts, but I tend to agree that a Vita3000 is very very unlikely. Sony won't invest in to new games with any real budget, so I doubt they'd invest in the R&D for a new console rendition.

I don't think they'll spend the R&D on a new model, but they could easily do a PSP 2000->3000 situation where they just buy a better screen for cheaper and call it a new model. In this case it's not up to Sony to spend money but their parts suppliers.

On the other hand, if they're not planning a new handheld anytime soon then I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more changes.

Parakeetman

I don't think they'll spend the R&D on a new model, but they could easily do a PSP 2000->3000 situation where they just buy a better screen for cheaper and call it a new model. In this case it's not up to Sony to spend money but their parts suppliers.

On the other hand, if they're not planning a new handheld anytime soon then the Vita will be their main platform in Japan for a few more years. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more changes in that case.

Waste of money since its not like the Vitas are flying off the shelves. So there is literally no reason to do any sort of "standard" update to the existing model. Now if we were still in the old days of the PSPs golden era then yeah I can see the reason for the constant hardware updates.

The only thing that would make sense is releasing a version that removes features that are not being used as much anymore with most developers which is the cameras and rear touchpad. Then adding of L2 / R2 for remote play. Still can have L3 / R3 functionality work via touch screen. Granted not everything will be perfect with that sort of setup, but its better than making the analog sticks fragile by adding the functionality of pushing them for L3 / R3 functionality as there is limited space as is within the hardware outside of durability worries.

Maid

Banned
Currently on the Sony side personally there is not a team with the ability to pull off such a feat. The only ones that "might" come close is Level5. Which is something they had tried way back in the days with White Knight Chronicles though that game got fucked up somewhere in the process when an earlier version that I had hands on with was better than the finished product. The character models took a step backwards too. I had heard that they were told by Sony to add in features which caused changes to the design. Though there does not seem to be any official reports about that. Though would not be surprised esp considering how the title turned out poorly.

I'm curious about this. Did the earlier version you received look remotely close to any of the revealed trailer they shown us back in the day?

Parakeetman

I'm curious about this. Did the earlier version you received look remotely close to any of the revealed trailer they shown us back in the day?

I dont remember what the original trailer looked like, but the earlier version of the game was nicer looking than the finished product. Which is why you can imagine I was not too amused with the actual retail release.

Its too bad they kept trying with the series too and it just could not gain traction at all. And the odd PSP release, though think someone else worked on that one and not L5.

eFKac

I'm sure Sony knows exactly what the usage stats on remote play are. If they are good enough, it could justify a remote play centric device (4 triggers, etc), and any other changes to hardware to 'update' remote play to make it work better.

I mean, there's going to be a market for that type of device even after we have PS5s. So there is a chance. On one hand, it seems like a terribly remote chance, on the other hand, it does make sense when you consider the future of remote play.

Don't you think that the future of remote play is the Xperia line (other smartphones) and not a new dedicated device that I very much doubt would sell well?

With DS4 pairing it's superior to a Vita already with a way more ergonomical control solution. Maybe less portable, but does anyone really remote play in commute or something like that when the internet connection requirement is pretty steep?

I have been away from the Internet for the past week due to a near fatal accident (thanks truck driver swerving to my lane). Oh and I won't be getting any new games for this month and the next due to my hospital bills. As much as I want to spend on a possible Golden Week sale, I don't have any to spare.

What did I miss guys? Any new games / news? Also that dancing Vita Memory card gif is good.

wilflare

I have been away from the Internet for the past week due to a near fatal accident (thanks truck driver swerving to my lane). Oh and I won't be getting any new games for this month and the next due to my hospital bills. As much as I want to spend on a possible Golden Week sale, I don't have any to spare.

What did I miss guys? Any new games / news? Also that dancing Vita Memory card gif is good.

man. glad you are okay
please take care!!

Anyone know anything about Lost Dimension? It came up in my 'you might like' feed on amazon and i just don't know anything about it. i googled it and saw it's by the people that do Etrian and also see references to Valkryia Chronicles.... but then it also says it has Visual Novel stuff going on (if it's a vn like danganronpa i'll skip it).

Anyone know more info on it?

EDIT -- just watched a little bit of the japanese version on youtube. combat looks cool. the VN references in the description are still scaring me away though. anyone know what genre it is, really? Like is the combat pasted onto a VN or are they just calling it a 'vn' to get sales but it's really just got the same amount of plot of, say, demon gaze or mind zero?

I've honestly never heard it described as a visual novel before. I guess the closest it would get to vn is that the choices you make affect the story, but that isn't really a feature exclusive to vns.

The initial press release describes it as a tactical rpg, so I'm not really sure where the vn description came from.

Wow man. Hang in there, get yourself better soon!

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
The problem is I don't understand why would people feel the need to be hostile toward the platform they don't own.
Isn't that obvious?
Not everyone is informed, so if one reads lots of negative things about Vita he will end believing them no matter if they are the truth or not, and will buy the 3ds or something else.

Anyone know anything about Lost Dimension? It came up in my 'you might like' feed on amazon and i just don't know anything about it. i googled it and saw it's by the people that do Etrian and also see references to Valkryia Chronicles.... but then it also says it has Visual Novel stuff going on (if it's a vn like danganronpa i'll skip it).

Anyone know more info on it?

EDIT -- just watched a little bit of the japanese version on youtube. combat looks cool. the VN references in the description are still scaring me away though. anyone know what genre it is, really? Like is the combat pasted onto a VN or are they just calling it a 'vn' to get sales but it's really just got the same amount of plot of, say, demon gaze or mind zero?
It's a srpg, some people are trying to reach the top of a tower to stop the bad guy, but some of your characters are traitors and you need to find who(thanks to your powers and what people said and did) and execute one of them each time you go on the next level, you can even make a mistake and kill an innocent one.
Every time traitors are different so it's replayable and since each character has his own unique ability executing a character instead of another could be problematic if you find his ablitity useful.
The demo didn't have true visual novel parts, just some typical VN-like dialogues.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I do not think you are reading my post correctly. I'm really not sure what you're going on about with me 'expecting miracles'.

We were talking about the device being elegant -- it's a pretty little box. The PSTV is elegant engineering, through and through. My PSP with wires hanging out of it attached to my tv is not an elegant solution to the same problem - it's serviceable at best.

That's not what mismanagement is. You can manage something well and it can fail. Them's the breaks.

There was -no- way to make a game highly dependent on a touch screen work perfectly without the touch screen. You're asking the impossible.

Why not? It's a fantastic idea on paper. It would be mismanagement to not recognize and reward someone for coming up with original and inventive ideas, even if some of them don't work out in the marketplace. The marketplace is fickle.

what? that doesn't make sense. They included it because they clearly thought they would have a reason to use it. then the vita didn't sell well, so they never released whatever would use it. That's good management -- cutting your losses.

There was no 'pushing others to use it'... we don't even know what it did! Sony does, though, and I"m sure if the vita sold like the 3ds we'd know too. But it didn't, so that's that.

Some things don't pan out. That's life. The mystery port is one of them. We have no idea what that cost them, or if it even matters. I don't know why you're positioning it as anything more than that.

I know that's what you want. i get that. That's not what Sony was trying for. They put out a cheap device hoping it would sell to the non-handheld market -- a small, simple device that could push PSNow, sell due to remote play, ps1, psp, vita games, and support the playstation ecosystem in general. Were it successful they could have then pushed it into being competition for the fire/apple tv.

That it doesn't play a small number of vita games is borderline inconsequential to the above goals. I know it bothers you to no end, but in the marketplace? It's really not a big deal. Especially since it would be impossible to make it play some of those games.

Sorry but it's clear that you want to see what you want.
If you want to call PSTV elegant, functional, well managed and so on, then do it, but it doesn't change the fact that PSTV is a device that is not compatible with all the games is supposed to and bombed hard, you can say all that you want but like it or not something that doesn't function as it should and doesn't sell at all is both badly realized and planned.

Maid

Banned

Damn. So that's why you have been silent the last few days. Take care and get well soon.

LogicGoat

Neo Member
Since it's a pre-order, Sony can (and will most likely) just cancel it. They did the same when BF Hardline had a price mistake on the Czech PSN.
^Thanks!

Shit time to make a new e-mail and grab me dat free game lol.
Please be active for the next 3 hours @o@

Someone PM me that game's page please~

Pre-Orders on the HK store don't work the same as in the West.
This "free" item is basically just a 10% off coupon for when the product launches. You won't get the game for free.

SerTapTap

Oh no, I hope you're alright.
Not too much on the exciting news front, I enjoy Monster Bag from PS+ and Omega Quintet seems alright from what I've played. Most exciting news is probably being saved up for E3 at this point.

just finished a replay of Rain and it's still absolutely beautiful, if you haven't bought Rain what the hell are you doing

I get the feeling this game didn't do well, I really enjoyed it though. If you like artsy stuff like flower and such you should really check it out. Fairly simple stealth puzzles, beautiful world, interesting way of storytelling.

Li Kao

Rest and heal, Cardinal ! I wish you the best !

Kudo

Planning to order GalGun and few other games from PA I noticed that most places are out of Playstation Move controllers+camera, did Sony stop manufacturing them? Amazon only has "fulfilled by Amazon" etc.

SerTapTap

Holy my PS3 is loud. It use to be quiet. Should I be worried?

I think it varies. Mine is still quieter than the 360 but it's always been moderately loud. A bit louder than the PS4 (usually). Can't hurt to blow out some dust though.

Planning to order GalGun and few other games from PA I noticed that most places are out of Playstation Move controllers+camera, did Sony stop manufacturing them? Amazon only has "fulfilled by Amazon" etc.

I think they made too many and have basically been burning off surplus for years. YOu can get them cheap enough on Amazon though. Does PA have Gal Gun PS3? I only see it for 360. I have the 360 version already, it's not as awful as outlets made it sound but I don't think I'd pay $90 just to play it with Move though it does seem more natural. That Dead Space rail shooter played alright.

Kudo

I think they made too many and have basically been burning off surplus for years. YOu can get them cheap enough on Amazon though. Does PA have Gal Gun PS3? I only see it for 360. I have the 360 version already, it's not as awful as outlets made it sound but I don't think I'd pay $90 just to play it with Move though it does seem more natural. That Dead Space rail shooter played alright.

Yeah, just search "Gal*Gun (Playstation3 the Best)" for some reason searching "Gal Gun" just brings up the Xbox version.
It could be fun game to play with Move on hot summer days so been thinking about getting it, Move+Camera is about 40 dollars here so not that big investment but Camera is dead after the game as it doesn't support PS4, but Move controller works with PS4 so that might have use in future.

!
Hope you're okay man. Get well soon!!

incpdo

Thanks for the greetings guys! I won't be as active for a while but I'll be sure to be help answer questions about games that are within my capacity. For now, I'll just rest and hope to get out of the hospital as fast as I can.
If you can play games do it. Vita is a healer. And like every vitacat said please take care. Glad you are recovering.

SerTapTap

Yeah, just search "Gal*Gun (Playstation3 the Best)" for some reason searching "Gal Gun" just brings up the Xbox version.
It could be fun game to play with Move on hot summer days so been thinking about getting it, Move+Camera is about 40 dollars here so not that big investment but Camera is dead after the game as it doesn't support PS4, but Move controller works with PS4 so that might have use in future.

Oh! Urg, improper search systems. And wow, I hate The Best covers but this one isn't too obnoxious and is way way cheaper. Maybe I should have left the 360 one sealed, lol.

The camera is only like $8 on it's own, not a big worry IMO. You can also try out some of the artsy fartsy move games on PSN, they released a ton at launch like Tori-Emaki. They're all pretty simple but neat to see how the camera is used...but you can also kinda see why camera stuff didn't really take off, fun for a gimmick, no meat for a longer, deeper game.

If you have Octodad it's pretty fun with Move. Plays best with move + navi though two moves to move both arms can be funny.

ZeroAKA

Damn, that's scary. I can't count the number of close calls I've encountered because of idiots on the road. I hope you get better soon!

Chuy

Dude that majorly sucks But It's Goods To Hear you're okay. I hope your recovery is fast and painless.

Benedict

That's scary.
Thank God I live in a country where I don't have to worry about hospital bills too much.

Time to work on your backlog then, while you get better.

Shizuka

I'll be here praying for a fast recovery for you, Cardinal.

AsfaeksBR

Why is life so cruel?
When I had Time to play + Will to buy a Vita, I had no money. Now I have an Income + Will, but Time to play is an extremely limited factor now...
:'(

Get well soon, Cardinal.

kudoboi

TOTP Buy a Vita and its $400 (or less) accessory, the PS4 #BestOnVita
Buy Toukiden Kiwami, play it on-the-go on your Vita
Buy FF Type 0 HD, it didn't so so well... so buy it and Remote Play on the Vita
Buy Bastion, cross-play it on your Vita in the coming months when it's finally out
Buy Shovel Knight when it's out and keep shoveling with your Vita
Buy Soldner X-2 Vita, one of the best ports ever made #BestOnVita
BUY BUY BUY, MAI TU LIAO (translated don't wait anymore!)

wut am i reading....

RK128

Man, that is horrible what you went though :(. As someone who was in a car accident myself, it is very scary when it happens. Wish you a smooth and swift recovery cardinalmind.

Regarding any gaming news you might have missed, Level-5 announced a new IP (The Snack World) alongside Fantasy Life 2 (though that is mobile exclusive :l), Titan Souls is coming this Tuesday (looks promising :)) and we got that amazing 64GB Memory Card Gif that is going to be part of Vita Gaf for a very long time :D.

RK128

Why is life so cruel?
When I had Time to play + Will to buy a Vita, I had no money. Now I have an Income + Will, but Time to play is an extremely limited factor now...
:'(

Get well soon, Cardinal.

Maybe you could look out for a sale for a Vita? I mean, if you do not have the time to play it, at least get it for the PS+ tittles that come every month, the cross-buy games you have on PSN and the PSP/PS1 classics you own :).

I say even with little time, a Vita is a great purchase, as due to its portable nature, you can take it anywhere with you and play games how ever you see fit. The Vita's suspend and resume feature really helps make long games like JRPG's and long platformers feel great to come back to :D.

just finished a replay of Rain and it's still absolutely beautiful, if you haven't bought Rain what the hell are you doing

191r13cg83ss2gif.gif

The most underrated game on the PS3. It's definitely not for everyone, but Team ICO and thatgamecompany fans owe it to themselves to play it. Some parts of that game are just jaw-droppingly gorgeous.

autoduelist

Don't you think that the future of remote play is the Xperia line (other smartphones) and not a new dedicated device that I very much doubt would sell well?

With DS4 pairing it's superior to a Vita already with a way more ergonomical control solution. Maybe less portable, but does anyone really remote play in commute or something like that when the internet connection requirement is pretty steep?

Maybe? I have no idea how much smartphones cost, and I don't know enough about the smart phone market to know what percentage Apple, etc have on lockdown. You might be right that pairing a controller with some sort of tablet/phone device is the future. It all depends on price points and market penetration though. Are they willing and able to release a remote play app for, say, an ipad? If so, then yes, that might make more sense - and you're right, it's probably far more likely.

As far as ergonomics go, though, I'm glad I don't have to balance a screen somewhere when I play my vita / remote play. I like it being one solid device. But I grant that the other option is superior in many ways, too.

I've honestly never heard it described as a visual novel before. I guess the closest it would get to vn is that the choices you make affect the story, but that isn't really a feature exclusive to vns.

The initial press release describes it as a tactical rpg, so I'm not really sure where the vn description came from.

Ok, that sounds awesome then. The Wiki (and some other pages I looked at) played up the 'visual novel' elements:
"Lost Dimension (ロストディメンション Rosuto Dimenshon?) is a 2014 video game developed by Lancarse for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita. It is a role-playing video game with visual novel-like elements,"
and
"Lost Dimension also features a visual novel-like system where the choices of the player determine the fate of the game's story, as well as its characters."

Which got me worried it was set up like Danganronpa where the 'main game' was the visual novel and the combat was like the trial mini-games of Danganronpa and just tacked on.

It's a srpg, some people are trying to reach the top of a tower to stop the bad guy, but some of your characters are traitors and you need to find who(thanks to your powers and what people said and did) and execute one of them each time you go on the next level, you can even make a mistake and kill an innocent one.
Every time traitors are different so it's replayable and since each character has his own unique ability executing a character instead of another could be problematic if you find his ablitity useful.
The demo didn't have true visual novel parts, just some typical VN-like dialogues.

Hmmm. That could be be really cool.

Sorry but it's clear that you want to see what you want.
If you want to call PSTV elegant, functional, well managed and so on, then do it, but it doesn't change the fact that PSTV is a device that is not compatible with all the games is supposed to and bombed hard, you can say all that you want but like it or not something that doesn't function as it should and doesn't sell at all is both badly realized and planned.

No, I see a device that makes sense. I don't like everything about it (and neither do you) but I understand -why- those decisions were made. I don't attribute it to malice, or disinterest, or 'deception', or bad management. I attribute it to business decisions that, like it or not, generally make sense even if it pisses some of us off. For example, there was no chance it would play every Vita game. You hold that against them. I say: "obviously it doesn't play every vita game, it would be impossible!" The PSTV didn't fail because it doesn't play 5% (or whatever) of Vita games. That is a non-issue in the marketplace, even if that lack of coverage pisses you off.

As for the word elegant, you are continuing to misunderstand my usage of it. The PSTV is a cute little box like the Apple TV that sits under my tv and looks elegant, just like my Apple TV does.
When I hooked up my PSP to my tv, it was an ugly mess.
When I play my PSTV with my DS4, it remains a pretty little device under my tv.
When I played my PSP with lots of wires, it was lots of wires stretched across my living room being an ugly mess.
One is an elegant solution to a problem, the other isn't. That's all I mean by the word. And due to its elegance in design, I would prefer a PSTV like device over a vita with HDMI out. (in a perfect world, i'd have both)

That's all I mean by 'elegant'... you're reading wayyyy to much into that word and attributing much meaning to it I don't mean.

AsfaeksBR

You will buy a Vita and you will enjoy it.

fo sho

Maybe you could look out for a sale for a Vita? I mean, if you do not have the time to play it, at least get it for the PS+ tittles that come every month, the cross-buy games you have on PSN and the PSP/PS1 classics you own :).

I say even with little time, a Vita is a great purchase, as due to its portable nature, you can take it anywhere with you and play games how ever you see fit. The Vita's suspend and resume feature really helps make long games like JRPG's and long platformers feel great to come back to :D.

I don't trust people enough, so there's no way I'll buy any electronic used (unless I really need to) because I'm sure that I'll grab something that'll break in weeks.

Thanks to PSPlus and a few sales, I already got a couple of really good Vita games. And I also plan on getting some games that are still going to be released.
The problem is the play time, since I basically have Friday nights and weekends to play and study. But overall, I think it will be a good purchase.
If everything goes to plan, will get it in the beginning of next month.

Shizuka, me passe um site bom para eu comprar acessórios pro Vita. Já achei Fone, Protetor de Tela e Cradle na BBG e Zig, mas ainda quero uma "bolsa" pra proteger ele da sujeira.

TOTP: Buy Titan Souls this week! Support Devolver Digital, they really deserve it.
They'll soon release Hatoful Boyfriend for the Vita, and The Talos Principle (My GOTY 2014) on PS4.

Top Bottom