• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | April 2015

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I am in Canada too so I know the feeling. Still I'm more than willing to pay for it, specially because of the glorious art in the game. The art book looks to be filled with great stuff

If the art book is the same quality as the JP one it most def is worth it since its something unusual. Beats the flimsy thin paper type of "fan books" that other games come with. The JP one a bit more effort went into it past stapling a few color pages together lol.

autoduelist

typing responses on vita has a bug..... movng cursor seems to only work once then gets stuck innew position, at least on neoga. it showsnew position but typing continues at the first position changed to.

re jacec. im in contention i think. cant get exact numbers right now but my digital collection is out of hand.

re le edition. wo knowing if they are printing more copies than nomal due to success of demon gaze its hard to judge if op abyss is under performing. for allwwe know its doing great. i have standard edition preordered forages.

re 2016 i have to believe we are getting allthese localizations for a reason, namely they ar selling well. as such i find it hard to believe they will suddenly dryupnextyear, especially given the success of sword art online and dg. i think we willsee thetrend continueinto 2016 forsure. if anything we will be buriedin drpgs because we are obviouslythirsty forthem

re dreams. ihad a dream one of u was selling me a pileof vita games for 35. who was it?

Ventara

Im pretty sure we had threads here on it. If you do a search something should come up

Just found it. So they've trademarked Corpse Party as well. That one's probably a shoe-in for this/next year.

Trails on Steam has been very successful for them, theres no way we arent getting Trails 3rd Chapter.

Honestly Sen no Kiseki might bomb in the west, but maybe they'll work out a PC port with Falcom like they did with Akiba's Strip 2 and Acquire?

If SC continues the success FC had on Steam, I have no doubt about that. In fact, I feel that FC's success on Steam is the main reason SC is still being worked on. However, and I know I'm being a pessimist here, I don't believe we'll get TC any sooner than 2017. 2018 most likely, and I would not be surprised if SC is delayed to 2016.

Anyways, I'm hesitant to believe we'll actually get Sen. Getting a PC port will increase it's chance x100, but I don't feel that's likely. But who knows? XSEED might surprise us, and I'd love to be wrong.

kErPZhJ.jpg

Ziggurat is a medieval first person shooter rougelike. Basically it is Hexen: Beyond Heretic with randomly generated levels and RPG elements. The shooter part feels like Quake 3 in that it is fast but there is a lot of autoaim to help you land on targets. The medieval part feels more like weird Alice in Wonderland and features my new favorite enemy of all time: Demon Carrot. The rougelike feels brutally hard and too much of success is based on randomness of getting the right weapons, levels and bosses. Often you will spawn in a claustrophobic room with too many enemies to employ the circle strafing you will need to get through the level. The game is a lot of fun but Easy is too easy and Normal is too hard. More difficulty options would help this game a lot. Also a tutorial or some kind of explanation is needed as the game explains nothing to you. The PS4 version chugged with lots of enemies and had some weird visual anomalies. This game is miles better than Tower of Guns in the same genre. Overall I think people should buy this game as it is a blast to play.

8/10

Here is some no commentary PS4 gameplay.

Why did Sony go to the trouble of allowing you to upload video to YouTube directly from PS4 and not give you options to not make the video look like crap? Doesn't really help sell games to people if the video makes the game look crappy.

kErPZhJ.jpg

Ziggurat is a medieval first person shooter rougelike. Basically it is Hexen: Beyond Heretic with randomly generated levels and RPG elements. The shooter part feels like Quake 3 in that it is fast but there is a lot of autoaim to help you land on targets. The medieval part feels more like weird Alice in Wonderland and features my new favorite enemy of all time: Demon Carrot. The rougelike feels brutally hard and too much of success is based on randomness of getting the right weapons, levels and bosses. Often you will spawn in a claustrophobic room with too many enemies to employ the circle strafing you will need to get through the level. The game is a lot of fun but Easy is too easy and Normal is too hard. More difficulty options would help this game a lot. Also a tutorial or some kind of explanation is needed as the game explains nothing to you. The PS4 version chugged with lots of enemies and had some weird visual anomalies. This game is miles better than Tower of Guns in the same genre. Overall I think people should buy this game as it is a blast to play.

8/10

Here is some no commentary PS4 gameplay.

Why did Sony go to the trouble of allowing you to upload video to YouTube directly from PS4 and not give you options to not make the video look like crap? Doesn't really help sell games to people if the video makes the game look crappy.

How great would it have been if we had gotten this instead of Tower of Guns. Only heard good things about it.

Shinriji

If SC continues the success FC had on Steam, I have no doubt about that. In fact, I feel that FC's success on Steam is the main reason SC is still being worked on. However, and I know I'm being a pessimist here, I don't believe we'll get TC any sooner than 2017. 2018 most likely, and I would not be surprised if SC is delayed to 2016.

Anyways, I'm hesitant to believe we'll actually get Sen. Getting a PC port will increase it's chance x100, but I don't feel that's likely. But who knows? XSEED might surprise us, and I'd love to be wrong.

With Sen, this time they have a resonable new game on two viable platforms to work with (Vita and PS3). Comparing with a really old game in a platform killed by piracy like Trails FC, Sen have a much greater chance by itself.

They won't have to wait a PC port this time.

Yeah. Tower of Guns has some problems the biggest being a lack of depth. It is fun for 3 or 4 hours. There have been worse PS+ games.

Yeah I played the PC version for about 2 hours, but never felt the need to go back to it.

In unrelated news, this is apparently the official Umihara Kawase Plus twitter account

And even though it's a thursday, lots of sites are reporting the date so I'll believe it for now. So hyped

Parakeetman

It will be 14,99€ / £10,99 (~$16,50) which is more than fair for two games. I played a bit of the PSX game which I got off JP PSN and there's just something really special about these games.

Goddamned thing is around 40 USD in Japan. Little less if you want to be more exact with the ER.

Goddamned thing is around 40 USD in Japan. Little less if you want to be more exact with the ER.

Yeah I *almost* imported it when it was announced but thankfully the announcement of the western versions came soon after. I honestly prefer fairly priced digital versions over physical ones.

It will be 14,99€ / £10,99 (~$16,50) which is more than fair for two games. I played a bit of the PSX game which I got off JP PSN and there's just something really special about these games.

I know this is maybe heresy but I think Sayonara UmiharaKawase has some mass appeal and probably would sell better if it had a western name like "Hooking Walking Goldfish" or something. I think it is going to get dismissed on price and the name just makes it look like another JRPG to people who don't follow games very closely.

SerTapTap

I know this is maybe heresy but I think Sayonara UmiharaKawase has some mass appeal and probably would sell better if it had a western name like "Hooking Walking Goldfish" or something. I think it is going to get dismissed on price and the name just makes it look like another JRPG to people who don't follow games very closely.

They already tried that with "Yumi's Odd Odyssey" on 3DS (not that it was a good name), personally I don't really see a game this kick-you-in-the-balls-hard having super much appeal beyond fans that already know it's name. Budget price might have helped, as would not being 3DS eShop exclusive (possibly the worst platform to be digital only), but I kinda gather they've given up on that notion.

The 3DS version was localized as "Yumi's Odd Odyssey"... which actually still sounds like a JRPG, heh.

I think the graphics and the weirdness make it a tough sell to the mass market. The digital Vita release is the best thing they could have done and the game will have to sell through word of mouth alone.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think the graphics and the weirdness make it a tough sell to the mass market. The digital Vita release is the best thing they could have done and the game will have to sell through word of mouth alone.

No, the best thing they ever did was localize the 3DS version, because without that this version would never exist. I used to have to import all of them (the DS version was an especially good bargain)

Apparently a few years back Natsume nearly localized the PSP version, which is absolute crap and not made by the original staff at all. I'm glad that didn't happen as it probably would have doomed this game.

I'll probably double dip on this when it is cheaper as I love the SNES version the most.

SerTapTap

The PSP one sucks? That's a shame, the art looks way better than it does in this one...going 3D for absolutely no reason was a bad choice. I expect ot play the SNES one most anyway.

Digital or physical? I figured the physical one was pricier because it's probably a limited print and has the figure.

Parakeetman

The PSP one sucks? That's a shame, the art looks way better than it does in this one...going 3D for absolutely no reason was a bad choice. I expect ot play the SNES one most anyway.

Digital or physical? I figured the physical one was pricier because it's probably a limited print and has the figure.

In Japan there usually is hardly a difference for it to matter digital or physical in regards to price. Which is why its usually better to go physical when you can just because you dont have to deal with delisting bullshit if it ever happens. On top of having to pay nearly the same price. On top of digital does go under the SRP unless there is a sale, unlike physical versions. Which generally already start under the SRP. Japan isnt exactly the best place for sales with digital stuff either.

Shizuka

Are we voting for GotM already? No one mentioned it and it's that time of the month. I have no idea what I'm going to vote for.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

What's the most important part of this series? The physics. What happens when they are not very good? The PSP version!

bobohoro

autoduelist is broken.

Stop posting with your Vita!

I want the Operation Abyss LE, kinda, but we're pretty fucked in mainland EU with the current exchange rate. And if they don't manage to get a complete OST in it, I would probably not look at it much anyway.

Seriously, I'll buy every limited edition that comes with a full soundtrack, but nobody does that anymore. :/

autoduelist

finally was going to ch sao on netflix last night but binge watched 5 episodes of daredevil instead. so good. sao will have to wait.

finally was going to ch sao on netflix last night but binge watched 5 episodes of daredevil instead. so good. sao will have to wait.
Just finished watching an episode and my god, it is so fucking good. I tend to not like super hero stuff since I find it kind of tacky, but this show is soooo good. I was supposed to play Deus Ex in the afternoon (Xenoblade is my full time nightly mistress), but I think I'm going to spend a good portion of the next few days indulging this show.

Shizuka

You guys are slow, real hardcore Netflix watchers finish entire seasons in the launch weekend. I've done it myself with Hemlock Grove, Daredevil, Bloodlines, House of Cards and Orange is the New Black.

You guys are slow, real hardcore Netflix watchers finish entire seasons in the launch weekend. I've done it myself with Hemlock Grove, Daredevil, Bloodlines, House of Cards and Orange is the New Black.
Daredevil dropped way too close to assignment/exam season for me. Now that I have time off I am catching up on all my shows, anime and whatnot. Daredevil however really stands out to me, they made something really special.

SerTapTap

In Japan there usually is hardly a difference for it to matter digital or physical in regards to price. Which is why its usually better to go physical when you can just because you dont have to deal with delisting bullshit if it ever happens. On top of having to pay nearly the same price. On top of digital does go under the SRP unless there is a sale, unlike physical versions. Which generally already start under the SRP. Japan isnt exactly the best place for sales with digital stuff either.

Prices are usually the same digital/physical here, I just figured this might be an exception since it's basically half new-game-price in the US. I guess not.

Parakeetman

Prices are usually the same digital/physical here, I just figured this might be an exception since it's basically half new-game-price in the US. I guess not.

Depending on occasion there are times when the physical prices are actually lower than the download ones due to the physical prices dipping under the SRP which makes it slightly lower than the hardset digital versions. While it does not always happen and when it does it may be something as small as 1-2 dollar difference its still funny to see.

antibolo

Banned

Delisted content is always re-downloadable forever if you bought it beforehand. I don't think they've ever retroactively removed a game from existing owners on any console's digital platform (and Steam).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Japan's reluctance to go digital has more to do with how healthy the secondary market is, which in turn brings down the prices of retail games at an even faster clip than it does here. The few digital success stories so far have still been tiny and mainly for the types of games which people will never sell.

The only digital market that has picked up in recent memory has been mobile, which really gained traction over there in the past five years.

Parakeetman

Japan's reluctance to go digital has more to do with how healthy the secondary market is, which in turn brings down the prices of retail games at an even faster clip than it does here. The few digital success stories so far have still been tiny and mainly for the types of games which people will never sell.

The only digital market that has picked up in recent memory has been mobile, which really gained traction over there in the past five years.

Not really as these days a lot of the recent games have digital versions. Now if you were talking about proper digital pricing that would be a different story. But then again with how retailers are getting their asses handed to them as is, there is not going to be any change in digital pricing any time soon.

Not to mention things like steam have become more popular which is a fully digital service and has more Japanese companies looking at it along with third party companies that help those not as familiar with the whole process of getting titles up onto Steam.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Not really as these days a lot of the recent games have digital versions. Now if you were talking about proper digital pricing that would be a different story. But then again with how retailers are getting their asses handed to them as is, there is not going to be any change in digital pricing any time soon.

Not to mention things like steam have become more popular which is a fully digital service and has more Japanese companies looking at it along with third party companies that help those not as familiar with the whole process of getting titles up onto Steam.

Everything has a digital version as it is practically without cost to make one. They seemingly do not sell as well in Japan as they do in the west though and the only real difference I can think of is the better state of the secondary market. Sales are down across the board but even the biggest success stories like Animal Crossing New Leaf are drops in the bucket compared to western digital retail level titles.

Parakeetman

Everything has a digital version as it is practically without cost to make one. They seemingly do not sell as well in Japan as they do in the west though and the only real difference I can think of is the better state of the secondary market. Sales are down across the board but even the biggest success stories like Animal Crossing New Leaf are drops in the bucket compared to western digital retail level titles.

Its more like they do not really share the digital sales numbers that often. But one thing is for sure when popular titles do sell out first thing folks do is run for digital ones.

Its more cultural differences since the West in general has been far more used to digital sales where its still fairly new in Japan. Though folks are getting accustomed to it quickly esp with how things like smartphones are an all digital market that helps drive the mindset. Same with itunes and now that its come over to gaming full time more folks are doing digital just for simplicity. That and in general most of the used game stores that remain still price used titles high, so there is no real point in going out to a used game store to buy a game that has a digital copy for sale. Its why used gaming stores are not doing as well as they used to. Seeing how stores have either closed or consolidated is a sign of that.

Cant really compare the Japanese market to the West as it is two totally different enviros. But things are most def changing here.

Li Kao

Guys, how much should I expect to pay in shipping if I want the Abyss LE in Europe ? Just an estimation will do.
I'm kinda sad to be digital only on Vita, while it has its perks, I never saw a Vita cart. Feels strange :-/

Shizuka

Guys, how much should I expect to pay in shipping if I want the Abyss LE in Europe ? Just an estimation will do.
I'm kinda sad to be digital only on Vita, while it has its perks, I never saw a Vita cart. Feels strange :-/

You'll have to get it from NISA Europe Online Store, that's quite an expensive purchase.

Top Bottom