• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | April 2015

Is Demon Gaze worth buying? It's on sale and I'm tossing up between getting that or Freedom Wars.
Yeah both are great games, but honestly, get Demon Gaze since it is one of the best RPGS on the system. Once you complete it, if you enjoyed it you will have a time gap between then and the release of Operation Abyss. You could play FW between them, give yourself a bit of a break from the turn base systems, let loose with some shooting and flying around, then jump back into DRPG mode in June :p

Li Kao

I'm buying it as long as there's a sale... if not Shizuka is going to cut me

Hmm, the only question left is : Shizuka, what did you think of Unchained Blades ?
Not that the answer will affect my purchase, Demon Gaze is already in my backlog, but fuck if that game didn't nearly kill my interest in DRPG. I think I have PTSD.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Hmm, the only question left is : Shizuka, what did you think of Unchained Blades ?

Not that the answer will affect my purchase, Demon Gaze is already in my backlog, but fuck if that game didn't nearly killed my interest in DRPG. I think I have PTSD.

Unchained Blades isnt worth buying. They gameplay system is a fucking mess that makes it more of a chore to play than actually be fun.

Its usually those at GAF with bad tastes in video games who actually tell others its not recommended.

If the King of DRPG dorarnae doesnt like it, you know something is wrong with the game.

Unless you are very bored and the game is like 10 dollars. Dont bother. Sad thing is its still a better game than Mind Zero.

Li Kao

Unless you are very bored and the game is like 10 dollars. Dont bother.[/B]

Going by my experience with Unchained Blades, I'm not hyperboling much when I say you should HAVE TO pay someone if you want to make him play that POS.

Sad thing is its still a better game than Mind Zero.

Well, that's that then. I keep toying with the idea of buying Mind Zero thinking it can't be that bad, but if you say it is worse than Unchained Blades...
And I should really stop buying things that 'can't be that bad', it's like that that I ended up with Conception 2. Not that it's bad as much as it is bland. Really, I'm not nearly as shellshocked by C2 as by Unchained Blades.

Yeah I don't remember enjoying the game very much, the dungeon design was pretty bad. As for Mind Zero, I just found it a bit bland, and pretty low budget (considering how DRPGs are low budget already as is, this one was even lower).

Yasumi

Banned
Well, that's that then. I keep toying with the idea of buying Mind Zero thinking it can't be that bad, but if you say it is worse than Unchained Blades...
And I should really stop buying things that 'can't be that bad', it's like that that I ended up with Conception 2. Not that it's bad as much as it is bland. Really, I'm not nearly as shellshocked by C2 as by Unchained Blades.
I'm enjoying Mind Zero, more than Conception 2 honestly, and I thought Unchained Blades was junk. It's not anything groundbreaking, but I'm liking the atmosphere so far, characters, dungeons, music, and battle system are okay. From the amount of vitriol it gets, I was expecting far worse. I actually want to finish it, which is more than I can say for UB.

SerTapTap

Making a guide is hard. Remind me to never do it again.
Nah it's been rewarding but damn

I see that there are sellers on eBay with 10+ copies for sale already.

Shit. Did Fangamer limit you to 1? Not that it's easy to stop scalpers.

Infos and screens on one of the chapters of Ray Gigant(it has 3 chapters with different characters)
http://gematsu.com/2015/04/ray-gigant-screenshots-detail-kyle-chapter

Love that style. Shame Time and Eternity apparently sucked

Should the season pass content be downloading automatically? I've had to go and download each piece from the store.
It might be because I'm on my "secondary" ps4 as my "primary" is in my son's room, or it might be normal behavior.

Unfortunately no--just download them from the store inside Driveclub and it's a lot easier. I think they activate while you're ingame too. I do wish they were auto-downloaded

My lord am I the only one that finds Helldivers' controls atrocious? They are confusing and weird on the PS4, but on the Vita I find them even worse... Tap the screen to run? Swipe your finger on the back to reload/throw grenades?

Parakeetman

My lord am I the only one that finds Helldivers' controls atrocious? They are confusing and weird on the PS4, but on the Vita I find them even worse... Tap the screen to run? Swipe your finger on the back to reload/throw grenades?

Works great on the PS4. But the vita controls sound like shit lol

Prelude.

Get Demon Gaze

lo0494094jk4458uii.jpg

Tapejara

Game controls weird on Vita. I think it controls like a dream on PS4 though. What do you find confusing about it?

Parakeetman

Going by my experience with Unchained Blades, I'm not hyperboling much when I say you should HAVE TO pay someone if you want to make him play that POS.

The sad thing about Mind Zero is that Acquire / ZeroDiv can do better than that, but apparently did not care / receive a proper budget. They really should just go back to doing their School of Heroes series, the non 3D one. Since Mind Zero was horrible and hilarious to watch here in Japan how desperately they tried to market it every chance they got to get people to buy it and the general public was all NOPE after finding out what a shit game it was. Thing dropped in price so fast was hilarious. I still remember they had virtual ads for it in Akibas Trip 2 all over the place.

You might as well just play the Persona games instead.

I had pretty much all of the versions of Unchained Blades. At least that game didnt look like crap with the artwork used in battles and such. The difference between the character art and 3d models for the characters is so jarring its almost funny.

You done good.

As for the controls on the PS4 version of Helldiver's, it's more that I keep trying to reload with square, tapping triangle to change weapons when you have to hold it instead, and other little things like that. I go into FPS mode whenever I'm shooting bullets, and I'm having a hard time getting accustomed to things. On the Vita, it's unplayable for me sadly. When you remote play it, it goes to the same control scheme as the native Vita version, so even that I can't do.

Caode

Just picked up Ni No Kuni for €4.99 on the EU Store. Insane price for such a great game.

Hard to pass up at that price.

Tapejara

You done good.

As for the controls on the PS4 version of Helldiver's, it's more that I keep trying to reload with square, tapping triangle to change weapons when you have to hold it instead, and other little things like that. I go into FPS mode whenever I'm shooting bullets, and I'm having a hard time getting accustomed to things. On the Vita, it's unplayable for me sadly. When you remote play it, it goes to the same control scheme as the native Vita version, so even that I can't do.

Honestly, I prefer using the shoulder buttons for actions like reloading. My preferred control scheme in Halo for example, is Recon, which maps reload to RB. I think I even customized Dead Nation to make R1 reload...or maybe it was R3.

In any case, this why I advocate for custom controls. I wish more developers would stop overlooking the feature.

eFKac

Yay I'm a happy owner of a Playstation TV!
Even caved in and got a 4GB memory card not to be constrained by memory limit
except for Killzone Mercenaries huh? -_-

Holy shit that thing is small. I mean I knew it's small, but I expected it to be like a thick smartphone, it's not much more than half of my Xperia Z 0_o

Any tips and tricks guys? Something important to know?

ZeroAKA

Just picked up Ni No Kuni for €4.99 on the EU Store. Insane price for such a great game.

Hard to pass up at that price.
I played about 5 hours before I decided that I liked looking at the game more than playing it. Does it get better?

SerTapTap

I played about 5 hours before I decided that I liked looking at the game more than playing it. Does it get better?

I'm in the same boat. After Dark Cloud 2 it was a major disappointment in all regards but looks and opening. So very very slow.

Yay I'm a happy owner of a Playstation TV!
Even caved in and got a 4GB memory card not to be constrained by memory limit
except for Killzone Mercenaries huh? -_-

Holy shit that thing is small. I mean I knew it's small, but I expected it to be like a thick smartphone, it's not much more than half of my Xperia Z 0_o

Any tips and tricks guys? Something important to know?

They really need to advertise the size more. I could not believe how small it is. No tips really, just know there is a touch pointer option (hold PS button to open it) which might be needed/helpful in some games. Hold PS button THEN start for screenshots, other way around and you accidentally pause the game before the shot. A DS4 is ideal but the DS3 works.

bobohoro

It picks up at around 10-12 hours in when you get a full party and more options for traversing the world. It falls off a cliff after around 35 hours, when you finish the portion of the original game and the White Witch arc starts.

That said, it's nowhere near being a good RPG in terms of mechanics. But I really enjoyed the story and characters -except the WW stuff - as well as the audiovisual aspects of the game.

Sondar

Shit. Did Fangamer limit you to 1? Not that it's easy to stop scalpers.

Looking on Twitter there was apparently no limit per person so I ended up ordering another copy in case the first one got lost in the post. Daft I know...

Pre-orders are still open, so I'm guessing a far bigger print run or not so much demand this time around.

Honestly, I prefer using the shoulder buttons for actions like reloading. My preferred control scheme in Halo for example, is Recon, which maps reload to RB. I think I even customized Dead Nation to make R1 reload...or maybe it was R3.

In any case, this why I advocate for custom controls. I wish more developers would stop overlooking the feature.
I agree, customizable controls should be a staple in gaming by now. Helldivers would be such a blast for me if I didn't have to totally change the way I do actions that in other games are mapped to a certain button scheme. I keep pressing square whenever I'm out of bullets, only to realize that I just did something else lol.

Vylash

Ni No Kuni is easily one of the most tedious games I've ever suffered through, it's all style and no substance, it doesn't pick up at all

Parakeetman

What makes Demon Gaze so good?

Its just a DRPG that seemed to click with lots of folks. Others liked the characters that appeared. Others were into the fanservice. General art style and some of the addictive features such as the gem circle system helped.

Caode

I played about 20 hours or so when it came out, I enjoyed it at the time.. it is really slowly paced but I've just got done going through Bloodborne, rounding out the trophies for the platinum now so I'm just looking for something to sit back and relax with.

What makes Demon Gaze so good?
Map design is ace, story is pretty good, characters have their own personality and add to said story, the gameplay systems are really good, the difficulty is just right (not too hard, but also not a cakewalk) and the artwork used for the character portraits is lovely. Operation Abyss seems to take this even further, or this could just be me being biased since I'm a sucker for futuristic/cyberpunk settings.

Parakeetman

Operation Abyss seems to take this even further, or this could just be me being biased since I'm a sucker for futuristic/cyberpunk settings.

Actually thats not correct about Op Abyss. Op Abyss uses an older system than Demon Gaze, while the combat and such is generally the same the gameplay mechanics are different. As its based off of Exp Incs first game series Generation Xth.

So people going into Op Abyss do not expect it to be the same as Demon Gaze with the design.

Its still a fantastic DRPG though that will have loot hunters addicted.

Actually thats not correct about Op Abyss. Op Abyss uses an older system than Demon Gaze, while the combat and such is generally the same the gameplay mechanics are different. As its based off of Exp Incs first game series Generation Xth.

So people going into Op Abyss do not expect it to be the same as Demon Gaze with the design.

Its still a fantastic DRPG though that will have loot hunters addicted.
Parakeet I was talking about the art, I know next to nothing about the gameplay aside from what's been shown recently in trailers :p

Parakeetman

Parakeet I was talking about the art, I know next to nothing about the gameplay aside from what's been shown recently in trailers :p

The line you had mentioned made it sound like you were talking about gameplay lol.

The story progression though is not as in depth as Demon Gaze, but that has to do more with it being based off of the original script rather than where Demon Gaze is something totally brand new done from the ground up.

Am looking forward to seeing how much further improved Babel will be when it comes out at the end of this month.

The story progression though is not as in depth as Demon Gaze, but that has to do more with it being based off of the original script rather than where Demon Gaze is something totally brand new done from the ground up.

Am looking forward to seeing how much further improved Babel will be when it comes out at the end of this month.
I'm okay with that, SMTIV did something like that, in which you didn't really have a story that went very in depth, or with deep characters and I still loved it. As long as there is a beginning, middle and end, and you give me and my party some kind of motivation to keep us going, and the gameplay is solid, I am in.

Parakeetman

I'm okay with that, SMTIV did something like that, in which you didn't really have a story that went very in depth, or with deep characters and I still loved it. As long as there is a beginning, middle and end, and you give me and my party some kind of motivation to keep us going, and the gameplay is solid, I am in.

Its there and the story is also present, just that what am saying is that people cant expect the game to be the same design wise as Demon Gaze. As it is not and the reason for that is this goes off of Exp Incs first title and uses a lot of the general design mechanics from it. On top of having little explanation for what things do and such, where the game system with item creation and upgrades is more complex than what was used in Demon Gaze.

Seeing how people managed to get "confused" with some of the things in Demon Gaze it has me worried about how they will deal with the item crafting / upgrade system in Exp Inc lol.

Am sure you will enjoy it since as a DRPG its great and the dungeon designs are amusing.

Its there and the story is also present, just that what am saying is that people cant expect the game to be the same design wise as Demon Gaze. As it is not and the reason for that is this goes off of Exp Incs first title and uses a lot of the general design mechanics from it. On top of having little explanation for what things do and such, where the game system with item creation and upgrades is more complex than what was used in Demon Gaze.

Seeing how people managed to get "confused" with some of the things in Demon Gaze it has me worried about how they will deal with the item crafting / upgrade system in Exp Inc lol.

Am sure you will enjoy it since as a DRPG its great and the dungeon designs are amusing.
To me this sounds totally fine. What breaks a DRPG to me, and what broke UB for me also was the layout for the dungeons for example. They were all over the goddamn place! The encounter rate was stupid, the battles weren't fun at all... Now what you are saying has to do with the deeper innings of the game, which in a DRPG you should explore on your own from the get go. DRPGs aren't an easy genre, and if you don't "study" the game a bit, you will only make things even harder for you. Simple knowledge of systems such as upgrades goes a long way to making a 1hr long battle turn into a 20-30min one.

Shizuka

Not the best DRPG. The feature they made for getting past some doors (you capture monsters and have them fight for you) was my biggest complaint. I spent hours just grinding to get better monsters in order to defeat the ones guarding the door just so that I could get past the door and advance. Other than that, it's pretty mediocre. I spend over 55 hours to finish the game and no way in hell I was going to touch the post-game.

Parakeetman

To me this sounds totally fine. What breaks a DRPG to me, and what broke UB for me also was the layout for the dungeons for example. They were all over the goddamn place! The encounter rate was stupid, the battles weren't fun at all... Now what you are saying has to do with the deeper innings of the game, which in a DRPG you should explore on your own from the get go. DRPGs aren't an easy genre, and if you don't "study" the game a bit, you will only make things even harder for you. Simple knowledge of systems such as upgrades goes a long way to making a 1hr long battle turn into a 20-30min one.

This one as usual if you get samurai made right you can pretty much destroy enemy parties pretty fast. I have a PT with 2 samurai in it just for loot gathering and such.

Thankfully Exp Inc in general do a good job with making battles fast.

Though one thing that will warn folks about in advance is this title its a little harder to tell what enemies might be weak to since their appearance does not give it away, which makes it a bit of trial and error at times.

Boss fights can be a challenge, but still possible to roflstomp them too depending.

Its nice that you folks in the West will be getting the soundtrack also with the LE version as here in Japan it was only available at one particular retailer as a preorder bonus. Which means that NISA must have paid out to secure it, just like that one retailer in Japan did. The LE in Japan did not come with a soundtrack.

With how cheap the LE is too, there seriously is no excuse not to get it. Plus comes with that artbook that is very nice for those who enjoy the artwork.

autoduelist

Yeah I don't remember enjoying the game very much, the dungeon design was pretty bad. As for Mind Zero, I just found it a bit bland, and pretty low budget (considering how DRPGs are low budget already as is, this one was even lower).

I'm enjoying Mind Zero, more than Conception 2 honestly, and I thought Unchained Blades was junk. It's not anything groundbreaking, but I'm liking the atmosphere so far, characters, dungeons, music, and battle system are okay. From the amount of vitriol it gets, I was expecting far worse. I actually want to finish it, which is more than I can say for UB.

Agreed. Mind Zero's biggest issue is being a bit bland -- reskinned enemies, poor dungeon textures, and looking like but not being Persona. Behind that, it had a solid combat system that stayed interactive the entire game.

Conception 2 was just bad. It had cool battle systems rendered useless by terrible game balance (I autobattled the entire game, don't think I ever cast a spell). Sure, it had better art than Mind Zero, and more 'dating'... but who cares if the actual game is a auto-grind? All those team based skills and positional combat and other systems just... wasted.

Sorcery Saga was cute and interesting, but too easy and as such boring. (Though this combination makes it a perfect entry into roguelikes for people scared of the genre).

I plat'd all of them. Conception 2 was mindnumbing (both combat and conversations). Mind Zero was mostly fun, if a bit 'bland' at times for reasons I've discussed other posts.

Sondar

Anyone ever buy a game on PSN & completely forget to download it?

I was just checking my download list & I saw that I'd bought rymdkapsel back in November 2013 & had completely forgotten about it. Slightly embarrassing...

I was just checking my download list & I saw that I'd bought rymdkapsel back in November 2013 & had completely forgotten about it. Slightly embarrassing...
This happens to me with PS+ stuff. I generally download everything. One day I was like "Oh, this game looks cool and is cheap, I'm gonna buy it when I get home", and much for my joy and amusement that day, it had been a PS+ free title at some point and I had it on my download list ahaha.

Yes and no. I'm convinced that every once in a while the PSN fucks up and spits out a game onto your download list you didn't buy.

SerTapTap

Yes and no. I'm convinced that every once in a while the PSN fucks up and spits out a game onto your download list you didn't buy.

Probably just PS+ stuff you've forgotten about. Though there's been at least one case of accidental "cross buy" of incorrect items

Massa

That game was free once, I think. Great game too.

Shizuka

I hate how I push aside games I bought at launch just so that I play them months later and feel guilty for not playing them earlier because they were amazing. I'm finally playing Freedom Wars and the game is great, I can't believe I just pushed it aside even though I got it at launch.

I hate how I push aside games I bought at launch just so that I play them months later and feel guilty for not playing them earlier because they were amazing. I'm finally playing Freedom Wars and the game is great, I can't believe I just pushed it aside even though I got it at launch.
If all you plan on doing is play the campaign, the game is excellent. End game however isn't so great. I loved Freedom Wars, it made me want GE2 RB to come even more lol.

SerTapTap

Yeah, I really like freedom wars but it's best played as just another game, not an endless grind hunting game. You can more or less stop at the end of the story

Shizuka

If all you plan on doing is play the campaign, the game is excellent. End game however isn't so great. I loved Freedom Wars, it made me want GE2 RB to come even more lol.

By end game, do you mean post-game? I plan on finishing the story, do I have to do the post-game as well?

Top Bottom