• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | August 2015

SerTapTap

Apparently you can still buy PS Mobile games if you go to a link from the Vita browser. Here is a site that has some of the links:

http://www.pspminis.com/forums/topi...ll-viable-post-closure-until-service-shutdown

Didn't try it myself. I think I got all the games I need.

Heard about this but yeah, got what I wanted on the last day. ...haven't played almost any of it. Oh Dear is neat, trippy.

Failing to shut down a store is kind of hilarious though. That's Homer burning cereal tier.

Heard about this but yeah, got what I wanted on the last day. ...haven't played almost any of it. Oh Dear is neat, trippy.

Failing to shut down a store is kind of hilarious though. That's Homer burning cereal tier.

To be fair, it's only the storefront that's been shut down. In-app purchases are still up, which probably hook into more-or-less the same system as the direct links to actual games.

VLiberty

Apparently you can still buy PS Mobile games if you go to a link from the Vita browser. Here is a site that has some of the links:

http://www.pspminis.com/forums/topi...ll-viable-post-closure-until-service-shutdown

Didn't try it myself. I think I got all the games I need.

Console saga is tempting. Oh deer too. But that "you won't be able to play those anymore if you ever disconnect your system" is bullshit.

Unrelated: we're hearing about Civ, XCOM and AC Chronicles since march or so. Yet they haven't been announced. What could be the matter?

omg_mjd

Man, ClaDun x2 is so good. The pixel art style makes the game look native on the Vita. And the sublime music (and a built-in code-based music composer I can't wrap my head around). And very good localization. Watching videos didn't quite sell me on the game but actually playing it is a joy. I wish more of the PSP library was on PSN.

Shinobido 2 is great too. Loved Tenchu back then so this is bringing back the same vibe. It's native res too, and the framerate is smooth and stable so far.

Thinking of getting MXGP next and some of the Capcom PS1 games.

RK128

Unrelated: we're hearing about Civ, XCOM and AC Chronicles since march or so. Yet they haven't been announced. What could be the matter?

I guess if we don't hear about them by the PSX (where Sony had a lot of Vita announcements last year), then they might as well be unfinished or scrapped games :(.

Not trying to be negative, but we really don't know when they are coming or not :l.

autoduelist

Which of the Disgaea games on-sale should I get? Don't have any of them, but like SRPG games like Tactics Ogre, Vandal Hearts, FFT, ...

I'd start with Disgaea 1, personally, then go from there. You can skip around, but the first definitely holds up, people generally love the characters, and since later ones tend to add systems you'll be ready for them and it's easier to move forward than backward. Great game once they click.

To be fair, it's only the storefront that's been shut down. In-app purchases are still up, which probably hook into more-or-less the same system as the direct links to actual games.

Yep, they just took the storefront down... they still need to allow people to download stuff, etc, so it would make sense to just remove the 'front'. I'm sure they discussed in some meeting 'well, people would still be able to buy it if they go to the direct link' and the general response was, 'well, whatever, if someone wants something that bad it's no big deal.' That would be my response, at least.

Hopefully just normal business. The whole point of rumors and speculation is that it's separate from actual announcements... a few months is nothing in the scope of game development.

I guess if we don't hear about them by the PSX (where Sony had a lot of Vita announcements last year), then they might as well be unfinished or scrapped games :(.

Not trying to be negative, but we really don't know when they are coming or not :l.

Borderlands 2 showed up, TLG showed up.... things show up. No need to put deadlines on announcements. We weren't even supposed to know they 'might' be a thing, and 99.9% of vita owners likely still don't know they 'might' be a thing, so really, there's no timer... they'll announce them when/if they're ready to.

RK128

Borderlands 2 showed up, TLG showed up.... things show up. No need to put deadlines on announcements. We weren't even supposed to know they 'might' be a thing, and 99.9% of vita owners likely still don't know they 'might' be a thing, so really, there's no timer... they'll announce them when/if they're ready to.

Very good point, so sorry if I was a bit negative there Autoduelist.

I guess we will wait and see when these announcements get officially announced. I still stand that I feel they will be announced by the PSX though; a lot was announced for the Vita then last year, so I feel that might happen for this years one too :).

autoduelist

any feedback on:

Ironclad tactics

Jet Car Stunts

Z-run

?

Also... I got feedback on Shinobido but people compared it to Tenchu... but that means nothing to me. I guess I'll break it down to -- is it worth the sale price / fun?

Thanks in advance for feedback! I keep adding to my backlog.

I don't get excited about a Vita port until I see it on the release schedule. Too much disappointment.

VLiberty

any feedback on:

Ironclad tactics

Jet Car Stunts

Z-run

?

Also... I got feedback on Shinobido but people compared it to Tenchu... but that means nothing to me. I guess I'll break it down to -- is it worth the sale price / fun?

Jet Car Stunts is pretty good but would have been much better with dpad controls.

Z-run...can't speak for it actually as I only played it for 10 minutes or so, but it looked bad.

autoduelist

Ironclad Tatics - Like Plants vs. Zombies but with less choices. Wanted to like it but I couldn't. Pass.

Jet Car Stunts - Tough Fun Game. Get it. Like Trials.

Z-run - Just pass on this.

man. this just made my decision harder, as I had pretty much decided to do the exact opposite. i was using Vita Lounge reviews to help decide, and they seemed to really like z-run and said jet car stunts was seriously hard [in a platforming way].

And ironclad tactics is a card game from the guys that did spacechem, which earns massive bonus points.

hrm. back to square one on figuring out what to get. thanks for the feedback!

any feedback on:

Ironclad tactics

Jet Car Stunts

Z-run

?

I didn't have any fun with Jet Car Stunts. Found the thing too hard to control to be any fun. I'm sure there is a market out there for it if you enjoy Trials and stuff like that.

I thought Shinobido was fantastic. It's short (took me ~6 hours for the first playthrough) but encourages replays to side with different factions. Lots of recycled content though, as is common with cheaply made Japanese games like this.

Storyline is silly, but the actual gameplay was tonnes of fun. Just sneaking round small sandbox maps picking off enemies however you choose.

Ephidel

Shinobido has a demo, so you can always try that to give you a feel for it.
It made me decide it probably wasn't for me, but not for any reasons I can actually put a finger on.

VLiberty

I didn't have any fun with Jet Car Stunts. Found the thing too hard to control to be any fun. I'm sure there is a market out there for it if you enjoy Trials and stuff like that.

I thought Shinobido was fantastic. It's short (took me ~6 hours for the first playthrough) but encourages replays to side with different factions. Lots of recycled content though, as is common with cheaply made Japanese games like this.

Storyline is silly, but the actual gameplay was tonnes of fun. Just sneaking round small sandbox maps picking off enemies however you choose.

The game really isn't made for analog controls(especially if we're talking about Vita analogs), the iOS version had the virtual dpad instead of the usual accelerometer control scheme IIRC. I wouldn't be surprised if that version has better controls, and when your game has better controls on iOS rather than on Vita, you know you messed up.

Not allowing the dpad controls is just plain stupidity. That said, I still found it to be a good fun on Vita.

omg_mjd

How's the long-term play value of Pix the Cat? I remember everyone being into it when it came out (and it was on PS+) but I wonder if the appeal lasted or not. I'm looking at videos of the game and it looks like Chu Chu Rocket x Snake to me. Which isn't bad but makes me wonder if I should spend my $4 somewhere else?

autoduelist

Shinobido has a demo, so you can always try that to give you a feel for it.
It made me decide it probably wasn't for me, but not for any reasons I can actually put a finger on.

Yeah, I played the demo years ago and barely remember it, so it felt odd playing it again just to see if I should buy it. some here seem to love it, and it pretty much never goes on sale... so I think I might just grab it while the grabbing is good.

How's the long-term play value of Pix the Cat? I remember everyone being into it when it came out (and it was on PS+) but I wonder if the appeal lasted or not. I'm looking at videos of the game and it looks like Chu Chu Rocket x Snake to me. Which isn't bad but makes me wonder if I should spend my $4 somewhere else?

Depends on your desire to score attack arcade games. If you can play games like Pac Man Championship Edition DX for hours and hours mastering levels to shave miliseconds off your time, you'll get tons of enjoyment out of Pix. if not, you'll still dig it, but it'll probably last you as long as most other arcade games last you, which is person dependent. Either way, it's a really cool acid Pac Man game... I'd get it if you're interested.

VLiberty

It has three different modes, one of them is arcade-like and you can play it as much as you could play the classic pacman. Then there are two puzzle modes, with around 70/100 levels each. The game is not lacking in content and what's threre is pretty great, if it's 4$(I'm from europe so I don't know if there's a NA sale around) then it's totally worth it

Yeah, I played the demo years ago and barely remember it, so it felt odd playing it again just to see if I should buy it. some here seem to love it, and it pretty much never goes on sale... so I think I might just grab it while the grabbing is good.

Depends on your desire to score attack arcade games. If you can play games like Pac Man Championship Edition DX for hours and hours mastering levels to shave miliseconds off your time, you'll get tons of enjoyment out of Pix. if not, you'll still dig it, but it'll probably last you as long as most other arcade games last you, which is person dependent. Either way, it's a really cool acid Pac Man game... I'd get it if you're interested.

Even if he isn't into score attacking games, he could love the puzzle levels. I've played the puzzle levels way more than the arcade game.

kUJsgad.jpg

I wonder if this is a confirmation.

SerTapTap

New Yakuza 5 video, they haven't forgotten about it at least

I mean, it's not Binding of Isaac but I've played many hours and there's several entirely different game modes. It seems really weird to be wondering if it's worth $4. I've scarcely heard a bad word about it. The only "bad" thing about it is the "desert course" final arcade level has a pretty high skill cap to unlock (alternately you can hatch a LOT of eggs, like hours and hours worth)

Man, ClaDun x2 is so good. The pixel art style makes the game look native on the Vita. And the sublime music (and a built-in code-based music composer I can't wrap my head around). And very good localization. Watching videos didn't quite sell me on the game but actually playing it is a joy. I wish more of the PSP library was on PSN.

One of the most ridiculous things about last gen is not having a digital version for many many titles.

How are the Galak-Z Vita RP controls?

Ask in the OT I guess but it uses too many buttons and most indie devs unfortunately totally ignore RP controls, I wouldn't expect it to play well. I forgot to check.

SerTapTap

Don't think this has been posted, but TK isn't sure about bringing Yoru no Nai Kuni to the west and is asking whether we want it localized.

https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/629571249849651200

what the fuck how could they possibly not know the west would want that? I'm getting pretty annoyed at the "do you want this localized" requests honestly, localizations have been doing great even with super oddball stuff. There's a market, full stop.

Saphirax

what the fuck how could they possibly not know the west would want that? I'm getting pretty annoyed at the "do you want this localized" requests honestly, localizations have been doing great even with super oddball stuff. There's a market, full stop.

Yeah, seems odd they'd be uncertain about it. On the other hand, seems like a lot of people want the game if we go by the retweets.

Edit: They followed it up with https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/629583533825200128

SerTapTap

Yeah, seems odd they'd be uncertain about it. On the other hand, seems like a lot of people want the game if we go by the retweets.

Edit: They followed it up with https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/629583533825200128

Yeah, it's good to see the positive responses. But there's been a LOT of "do you want this" requests from assorted places (meanwhile Xseed and NISA just localized everything they can get their hands on, and good for them). I'd rather they ask "do you want this physical" (not KT, I trust them enough for that at least on PS4) because some companies seem to screw up with that. Xseed was being unreasonably cautious when they made Senran Kagura Burst digital only.

Yeah, it's good to see the positive responses. But there's been a LOT of "do you want this" requests from assorted places (meanwhile Xseed and NISA just localized everything they can get their hands on, and good for them). I'd rather they ask "do you want this physical" (not KT, I trust them enough for that at least on PS4) because some companies seem to screw up with that. Xseed was being unreasonably cautious when they made Senran Kagura Burst digital only.
At least it shows that they are considering these games. Now we know that this game MAY come. With other games we have to play the waiting game, not even knowing whether or not it is actually even being considered. I don't mind this at all, in fact I'd love to see more niche publishers doing it. It would stop them from bringing mediocre products that no one cares about and bring stuff that has more support.

Don't want to make a thread just for this, so if anyone recently purchased Scrabble on PS4 and wants to play, send me a msg.

psn: spatenfloot

SerTapTap

At least it shows that they are considering these games. Now we know that this game MAY come. With other games we have to play the waiting game, not even knowing whether or not it is actually even being considered. I don't mind this at all, in fact I'd love to see more niche publishers doing it. It would stop them from bringing mediocre products that no one cares about and bring stuff that has more support.

Not sure I've ever seen a localization shop who had the problem of bringing over too many games. Just the occasional instance of bringing over a smaller game in the wrong way (digital only but $30, PS3 in 2015, bringing the old version instead of the enhanced edition, no physical, crap like that). But I'm a big fan of "mediocre" games being brought over too, because that's subjective and if we only brought over what the mainstream didn't consider medicore" then...well we'd have last gen. Fuck last gen.

Producer

Not sure I've ever seen a localization shop who had the problem of bringing over too many games. Just the occasional instance of bringing over a smaller game in the wrong way (digital only but $30, PS3 in 2015, bringing the old version instead of the enhanced edition, no physical, crap like that). But I'm a big fan of "mediocre" games being brought over too, because that's subjective and if we only brought over what the mainstream didn't consider medicore" then...well we'd have last gen. Fuck last gen.

Whats wrong with PS3 localizations in 2015? Same could be said for vita.

SerTapTap

Whats wrong with PS3 localizations in 2015? Same could be said for vita.

Sega, Nintendo, Square and several others stopped localizing smaller titles (or not so small titles like Dragon Quest), last gen was basically a complete clusterfuck for anything Japanese that wasn't Nintendo (and we still had to bed for Xenoblade). Localization this gen is amazing compared to...actually it's probably the best it's ever been period.

But localization kind of went "we barely even fucking tried and the script is a nightmare" from the SNES-PSX era to "hey pretty decent and a good variety of games" in PS2 era to DARKNESS in the PS3 era and now we're getting Gal Gun, Senran Kagura, Nitroplus Blasterz, everything. Maybe even non-mobile Dragon Quest.

Is that any good? I am eyeing Boggle. Boggle is huge here in Texas and I need to work on my game.
Yes, it is done well. The only problem is a lack of multiplayer opponents. I assume most people are doing private matches with friends instead of public matchmaking. I would expect Boggle to be the same.

It was bound to be with Sony skipping it. I've barely heard anyone talk about anything that wasn't at the Xbox presser.
Pretty much yeah. No news, no hype, nada. If I remember correctly, for the past 2-3 years Gamescom was super hype, with even more content and better showings than at E3.

Top Bottom