• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | August 2015

Because higher dpi+smaller screen=better looking if everything is the same.
It looks absolutely horrible in 1080p while it's a thing of beauty on Vita, we have screenshots, look at them.

That's way too simplified. At a normal viewing distance a 1080p game on a TV will look similar to a Vita game that's in front of your nose. Even moreso you play 1080p games at a desk on a monitor. You can't just take both screenshots and say the Vita version looks better.

Put some AA on the PS4 shots and you wouldn't even be able to tell a difference.
And you're completely ignoring performance improvements as well.

Prelude.

Forgot about that one, but it wasnt exactly a looker on vita/ps3, and PS4 has better performance with framerate and loading which is what is most important for me.
Most of these games aren't a looker for a very related reason.

That's way too simplified. At a normal viewing distance a 1080p game on a TV will look similar to a Vita game that's in front of your nose. Even moreso you play 1080p games at a desk on a monitor. You can't just take both screenshots and say the Vita version looks better.

Put some AA on the PS4 shots and you wouldn't even be able to tell a difference.
And you're completely ignoring performance improvements as well.
You can't mask handeld textures, assets and no AA (why should I put it on if the developers are not?) like that and we're going into Xbone launch territory with this "you're sitting further away from the screen". I'm not saying you should buy the Vita version, you can use your eyes and check those direct feed screenshots and judge for youself if that doesn't look fucking bad and make a decision. To me, it looks horrible and the (hypothetical) performance improvements are irrelevant since the Vita version runs perfectly fine and it's a turn-based jrpg. I have a hard time saying the lead version is somehow "inferior" when the hd port looks like some janky emulator footage, that's all.

Producer

Most of these games aren't a looker for a very related reason.

You can't mask handeld textures, assets and no AA (why should I put it on if the developers are not?) like that and we're going into Xbone launch territory with this "you're sitting further away from the screen". I'm not saying you should buy the Vita version, you can use your eyes and check those direct feed screenshots and judge for youself if that doesn't look fucking bad and make a decision. To me, it looks horrible and the (hypothetical) performance improvements are irrelevant since the Vita version runs perfectly fine and it's a turn-based jrpg. I have a hard time saying the lead version is somehow "inferior" when the hd port looks like some janky emulator footage, that's all.

I guess. With my initial post to Mangod i was mostly referring to upcoming multiplat games like EV, Ys 8, Atelier Sophie, Yoru no Nai Kuni etc. The games are developed simultaneously and not late ps4 ports, i doubt these will be merely basic upres port jobs like most of the current games have been.

we're going into Xbone launch territory with this "you're sitting further away from the screen".

No that's literally how eyes work. How good something looks is a combination of resolution, screen size and viewing distance (and your eyesight I guess). You brought up dpi and that means nothing without viewing distance either.

I just don't think coming here and telling people the PS4 version looks like crap based on a handful of pre-release shots (which look fine) is fair.

Flunkie

Banned
BOTP: buy Element4l

ALSO I finished Danganronpa 1 today. So great. Usually struggle getting through VNs but this changed my mind. I want to buy them all now.

Shizuka

Is anyone else ordering the Summon Night 5 limited edition? I feel like VitaGAF/PSNGAF isn't that interested in the game or the physical print.

I feel like I've asked this before but can't exactly remember;

Ukiyo no Shishi / Ukiyo no Roushi. Do you guys think these have a chance of coming West? (which company would be localizing them if so?)

Oof, you had to remind me of that.

It's been a while since I thought of those games, but I made a request for them on NISA's forums. You should post if you've got an account. Can't hurt. I really hope they made it over, I think they look ace:

http://nisamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=15373

(But I'm beginning to lose hope, because I think if someone hasn't picked them up this year, they'll get lost in the shuffle by next year. I feel NISA are the last hope because they normally release a lot of stuff in Q1 and they haven't announced anything yet, so maybe...)

kunnikuman

Neo Member
I recall Bamco releasing PS4 screenshots after the announcement of the games Vita localization and its PS4 port, with the screenshots looking quite nice; the game has a great art-style and look that really pops in the PS4 screens.

If your commenting on the quality of Bamco's Vita to PS4 ports, then I would say that its been mixed; stuff like Jump Stars Vs. (the PS4 version looks/runs worse then the PS3/Vita versions) and SAO Re:Hollow Fragment (the PS4 version improves on elements in the Vita build, with a higher frame rate and some texture improvements).
It's called J-Stars Victory Vs. Not Jump Stars.

Those screenshots looked like upres of Vita version. It's great that you make things up as you go but at least be more reasonable.

Sabas

Banned
Is anyone else ordering the Summon Night 5 limited edition? I feel like VitaGAF/PSNGAF isn't that interested in the game or the physical print.

Thinking about it. Money's kinda tight though. Just got EO2U and have DT2 coming in later this month... Do they charge right away?

RK128

Those screenshots looked like upres of Vita version. It's great that you make things up as you go but at least be more reasonable.

Sorry I misspelled the name and thank you for the correct name. And I don't mean to be positive about games, guess I should be negative and shit on everything then :l.

Edit: You know what? I'm done with this thread. Every time I make a damn point you come in and shut me down. If you guys want to talk to me about Vita stuff, I will be in the 350+ Games thread and other threads on Gaf, but otherwise I'm done.

Thank you for inviting me into the community and I had a great time here for the two+ years I posted here :). Hope you all continue enjoying the Vita and its games and see you guys in other threads on Gaf :).

Shizuka

Thinking about it. Money's kinda tight though. Just got EO2U and have DT2 coming in later this month... Do they charge right away?

Yes, they do charge right away. It's worth it, since compared to Class of Heroes 2, this gets a poster and the full OST, not to mention it's the first mainline Summon Night we get in the West and it sold a great deal in Japan. If this paves the way to getting more Bandai Namco games from Gaijinworks, even better.

VLiberty

Sorry I misspelled the name and thank you for the correct name. And I don't mean to be positive about games, guess I should be negative and shit on everything then :l.

Edit: You know what? I'm done with this thread. Every time I make a damn point you come in and shut me down. If you guys want to talk to me about Vita stuff, I will be in the 350+ Games thread and other threads on Gaf, but otherwise I'm done.

Thank you for inviting me into the community and I had a great time here for the two+ years I posted here :). Hope you all continue enjoying the Vita and its games and see you guys in other threads on Gaf :).
Don't give a damn about him, just ignore him. I noticed his behaviour as well and I think he's a troll, but the other people are fine here. C'mon, don't leave us, you are a good guy and I like to read your posts :/

o_O

Where on earth are you buying from? Shopto have the game £20 cheaper on Vita than PS4.

Probably PSN

(shopto? I thought it was digital only in europe)

BOTP: buy Element4l

ALSO I finished Danganronpa 1 today. So great. Usually struggle getting through VNs but this changed my mind. I want to buy them all now.

Just noticed it on pocketgamer where it won an iOS contest. Might have to take a look at it but now I'm burned on buying games, backlog is waaaay too big and it would probably go on PS+ before I'd get around playing it

Saphirax

Why would you let someone like him drive you out? Ignore him. He's done nothing but attack others, mostly you and if he wanted to he could follow you into other threads. Getting worked up over him isn't worth it.

RK128

Hello everyone :D!

Sorry for making my stupid post back there, just got a bit sick of being picked on :). Now that I learned the power of the ignore button, I'm back in the thread and will stay back :D.

SerTapTap

Was the logic for "bubble shifting" when you swap memory cards ever figured out? I'm going to try just using one memory card between my Vita and PS TV. Bubble shift and having to turn them off before swapping is probably less annoying that uploading/downloading saves I think.

RK128

Was the logic for "bubble shifting" when you swap memory cards ever figured out? I'm going to try just using one memory card between my Vita and PS TV. Bubble shift and having to turn them off before swapping is probably less annoying that uploading/downloading saves I think.

I guess that is due to the Memory card saving the bubble icon layout and whenever you take it out of your Vita and/or swap it for another one, a new bubble icon layout is saved to the memory card/system, overwriting the existing one.

It is a bit silly but I guess that is something that comes with memory cards :l.

Hikami

Oof, you had to remind me of that.

It's been a while since I thought of those games, but I made a request for them on NISA's forums. You should post if you've got an account. Can't hurt. I really hope they made it over, I think they look ace:

http://nisamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=15373

(But I'm beginning to lose hope, because I think if someone hasn't picked them up this year, they'll get lost in the shuffle by next year. I feel NISA are the last hope because they normally release a lot of stuff in Q1 and they haven't announced anything yet, so maybe...)
Ah nice, wasn't aware that the NISA forums had a section like that. But yeah, I was thinking about that as well. Guess we'll have to see what happens when they eventually decide to announce their games for next year.

Massa

I've switched my card between two Vitas a couple of times. Went from 1000 -> 2000 -> 1000 -> 2000. Only the first swap messed up everything, when I had the card in the 2000 to set it all up. The other times it was fine.

If you manually set the system bubbles (Store, Settings, etc - the ones not stored on the memory card) to have the same layout on the two systems it should be fine switching between them.

Tizoc

So Lost Dimension is apparently 15ish hours on a first playthrough. Apparently you'd need to do a NG+ for some story clean up.
Hope it becomes worth it...

So those Mega Man PS1 games I purchased in the sale do not download to Vita. D'oh.

Huh? The PSOne games show up in my download list.

VLiberty

I heard bad things about having more than 100 games and having the bubble shifting occur

luckily I'll hardly have this problem, thank you 8GB card :/

Sorry for making my stupid post back there, just got a bit sick of being picked on :). Now that I learned the power of the ignore button, I'm back in the thread and will stay back :D.

:D

Chuy

If there is a Vita version Sony will boycott it so probably skewed toward the ps4 version.
And yet I'll buy the vita version regardless. I'll take portability almost all the time when offered the choice.

Ignore button is an amazing feature. Don't have to deal with ignorant people :)

Ah nice, wasn't aware that the NISA forums had a section like that. But yeah, I was thinking about that as well. Guess we'll have to see what happens when they eventually decide to announce their games for next year.

I saw your post on there (at least I assume it's yours!) so thanks for the support. It's all I can think of to do really to get the word out there that we want these games in the west.

There was a time I'd have thought that the poor Japanese sales would've hamstrung their chances of coming west, but when things like Lost Dimension come across that utterly bombed... then there's hope.

SerTapTap

I've switched my card between two Vitas a couple of times. Went from 1000 -> 2000 -> 1000 -> 2000. Only the first swap messed up everything, when I had the card in the 2000 to set it all up. The other times it was fine.

If you manually set the system bubbles (Store, Settings, etc - the ones not stored on the memory card) to have the same layout on the two systems it should be fine switching between them.

Sounds good. I usually cram all of those on the top page anyway. Now I just have to make sure to use wallpapers that work fine on either--sorta surprised the current theme's stored on the Vita not the card.

Any other Gotchas I should be aware of when using the same card in a Vita and PS TV? Is remote download gonig to try and double-download? Honestly it never worked well with >1 Vita anyway. Only the PS4 is super dependable for downloads in my experience.

SerTapTap

Trying Gravity Crash Ultra and while I enjoy Gravity Crash itself, the enhanced port doesn't feel very Ultra yet. The anti-grav ship is super-baby mode but I guess it makes sense to include it to reach a wider audience. Twin stick is my preferred, it's more forgiving than many gravity + momentum based spaceship games just by using that mode already.

Surprised how good the game looks on my PS TV. I can tell it's not 1080p but still.

Shizuka

From the Danganronpa community thread:

IT'S HAPPENING

ff0ca2f354anrih.jpg

CAN'T DEAL WITH IT

Seda

Hi. I'm going to be as straightforward as possible here, but brief.

I got a complaint about you (not from RK128) about these sorts of posts from you in this thread. Basically, there's absolutely no reason to be so antagonistic over such trivial things. Checking your post-history, you seem to have a handful of these nit-picking and excessively critical replies that come across as heckling. I'm not saying you can't disagree or be critical but it'd help to be more amicable about things in your conversations. I mean, treat people with respect or don't reply at all.

And yes, Danganronpa UDG preview carts went out, hah.

Seda

I'm kinda surprised they still bother with physical review copies. And yeah, forgot that was coming up.

NISA still sends out codes too, but they started this thing with carts in addition to those. For Operation Abyss it seemed to make more sense because the preview cart was sent out 2 months ahead of release (with typical review code coming later) where in this case it seems a bit more awkward considering the game it out in 3 weeks.

Bandai Namco US tends to send out actual /retail/ copies (for smaller review sites anyway), which I've always found kinda weird.

RK128

From the Danganronpa community thread:

That's awesome :D! Press is getting review/preview copies in preperation for the games launch :).

Really looking forward to trying out the complete series this fall (Another Episode alongside the first and second games). Didn't get them from the recent sale due to really trying to beat my backlog (have too many games to play XD) but I still plain on getting them this fall.

Interesting that those are going to be physical copies, normally Vita games (at least I think so....) are given to the press through codes of retail versions. Nice seeing that some companies give out physical copies :).

Shizuka

I'm itching like hell to review all these upcoming Vita titles, I'm particularly interested in every single one of them.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Man, N++ is just sublime. I haven't played the single-player game yet, but I spent probably 1.5h playing co-op with a good friend this evening. It was fantastic. We cheered and laughed and screamed in frustration, but ultimately just good fun.

RK128

Looking forward to latter today, as I will be getting a few PS1/PSP games from that big Summer PS+ Sale :D!

All of those Mega Man games alongside Punny 2 and something else (not sure yet....) sounds like a great way to close off summer buys :).

I know Dangrompa is part of the sale too.....but will be getting all the games in that series together and play them back to back (alongside fitting in Ar No Surge Plus, SAO: Lost Song and ReBirth 3) this fall :).

How do the PS1 Mega Man games run anyway? Heard reports of the PS1 ports of the Mega Man Classic games (1-6) having frame-rate problems or input lag, so any answer to that would be nice :D.

Top Bottom