• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | August 2015

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Well, the anime is translated and there's a fan translation for the PC version of the game, so if people wanted to get caught up it wouldn't be hard.

That cant really be used as a marketing point though, which is part of the problem.

Seeing how stupid people were about the Ciel / Ar Nosurge stuff. Would not be surprised if folks freak out again once they figure out that stuff in 2 is connected to the first title lol.

Tohsaka

That cant really be used as a marketing point though, which is part of the problem.

Seeing how stupid people were about the Ciel / Ar Nosurge stuff. Would not be surprised if folks freak out again once they figure out that stuff in 2 is connected to the first title lol.

Yeah, that's true. At least people do have the option of experiencing the first one themselves though this time, unlike with Ciel.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I think ADV or Funi, it's been a while.

Ah ok, yeah since that series was pretty old. In Japan they have been reshowing it on the cable network it seems. Was up on the OHP for the series lol. Getting people ready for the game and anime series with 2.

autoduelist

. It's already only supported by the hardcore niche, there is nothing on the horizon that could replace it and people still want their handheld games. If localizing Vita games can be profitable in 2015 it'll be the same in 2016.

This is part of why I think the Vita will live a surprisingly long life. It's already got it's base, and where exactly are we going?

I know I have no 'exit strategy'... there isn't a device I could think of that I'd want to replace my vita with. i need my buttons, I'm [heavily] invested in the ecosystem, and i like the genres we do get. And remote play will stay relevant throughout the ps4's life, and almost certainly for the ps5's as well.

And if enough of us don't go anywhere, and continue to buy games... then it's likely we'll still get games, especially since the vita is 'powerful enough' at this point that jrpg localizations and ports of indies and such should run on it for years to come.

Maybe sony will surprise us with another handheld. I don't think it's likely, but Sony makes gadgets and has pushed through failures before.

Maybe sony will surprise us with another handheld. I don't think it's likely, but Sony makes gadgets and has pushed through failures before.

Sony is never going to make a handheld ever again, they will just focus in putting PS Now in literally everything + PS4.

2016 is going to be pretty awesome for us Vita owners, and I believe that the usual niche devs will keep giving us games at least for the next 2-3 years, but after that... I'm not sure.

I pray for the impossible, that somehow Nintendo will save us all with their next handheld(let me dream).

RK128

This is part of why I think the Vita will live a surprisingly long life. It's already got it's base, and where exactly are we going?

I know I have no 'exit strategy'... there isn't a device I could think of that I'd want to replace my vita with. i need my buttons, I'm [heavily] invested in the ecosystem, and i like the genres we do get. And remote play will stay relevant throughout the ps4's life, and almost certainly for the ps5's as well.

And if enough of us don't go anywhere, and continue to buy games... then it's likely we'll still get games, especially since the vita is 'powerful enough' at this point that jrpg localizations and ports of indies and such should run on it for years to come.

And that is why I feel that while 2017 is a large unknown at this point, I'm not worried about that :); the Vita will still be getting games by that point and I could see it living a lot longer than any of us expect.

If Sony doesn't make another handheld and if Nintendo's next handheld doesn't match the Vita's power (not likely but who knows with Nintendo....), the Vita still be an attractive home for JP third parties as they can continue releasing games on the console.

We all buy their software and the Vita owner owns well more then 20+ games (Ex: someone like me who doesn't like to spend a lot on a single retail game ended up owning 250+ Vita games and still have at least 20-30+ more games I want for the thing XD!); they will continue to support a user base that keeps buying their content :).

The Vita being a digital platform is a wonderful thing, so if the system loses its retail prescence, its digital store front will continue to be very attractive to third parties and indie devs :D. Granted, the Memory Cards are still pricey but that is like beating a rotting horse at this point.

I see the Vita's life cycle looking like this:
-2012: Sony launches console and gives a lot of first party software to it (Uncharted, Gravity Rush, ect). Launches Cross-Buy with PSAS and latter Sly 4 (with indie devs. picking up on that feature latter on).
-2013: Sony starts winding down first party support due to platform under-preforming; releases final wave of western developed games (Killzone and Tearaway). Indie community takes notice of the Vita and starts supporting it; Guacamelee, Vita port of Limbo and Rocketbirds first wave of these games. Sony launches 3rd Party Productions and takes fan-requests (Building-the-list). JP studios take note of Vita and gear up for localization's for 2014.
-2014: Sony releases final wave of games (three new titles, three collection ports, helping indie studios out, ect) while indie community explodes at the seems with software. JP support starts growing a lot with SAO: Hollow Fragment, Demon Gaze, and more releasing in 2014. Notable games released include the Dangrompa series (1 and 2), SK and the Hyperdimension series (Rebirth 1 Aug. 2014). Strong sales lead to more localization's for 2015 from those publishers/developers.
-2015: Sony drops support completely with first party software and only helps indies with games (Helldivers and Maraski Baby for example). JP software continues with more and more games releasing in the west for Vita. Indie community supporting Vita even more; cross-buy with PS4/PS3/Vita very common at this point. Surprise PS1 Classics launching from Capcom (Mega Man 8, MMX4/X5, Strider 2, Trone Bone) and Komani (Sudiken II) as well.
-2016: More localization's inbound and indie community launching software on Vita. First year Sony releases nothing by them on Vita (2015 had Oreshika); if anything from Sony does happen it will be a port/down-port of Gravity Rush 2.
-2017 though 2018: Test to see if support can continue; localization's and indie games continue with more surprise PS1 Classic's (Legends 1 and 2 please :)) to link up with them coming to PS4. 2018's games will be the 'final' wave of games from JP localization wise and Indie's still offer support (UE4 coming to Vita will help ALOT here).
-2019-2020: Depends on a number of factors; Sony having/not having a new handheld, Nintendo's handheld being strong enough for Indie's/JP publishers, ect.

A good 7-9 years is a great life span for a console and amazing for an handheld (most of them last for a good 4-6 years at most), so the Vita has a long life in store for it going forward :).

Tapejara

Sony can be very persistent with its products, even in places where it isn't doing so well. I think that there's a chance Sony might take one last shot at the handheld market and I have some thoughts on how they could do it:

Make a product to compete with tablets - Mobile has a caused a huge shift in the market, and dedicated handhelds have really suffered. Rather than try to compete with phones, Sony could attempt to make their own tablet-like device. It would still have buttons, but the form factor would be closer to that of a tablet. They could offer access to Google Play, and focus on services like Netflix in addition to their own exclusive games. In other words, rather than make a device that people would need to carry in addition to a tablet, make a device that replaces traditional tablets.

Just go ahead and make a niche device - On the other end of the spectrum, I wonder if Sony could just make a traditional handheld, but one that's tailored for Japanese developers and Western indie developers. Vita occupies a snug place in the Japanese development industry, while Western indies have found success on the platform. This device would serve to keep them in the Sony ecosystem. Because it's targeted towards smaller development teams and not AAA experiences, Sony wouldn't need to spend as much on R&D/marketing; Japan could be the primary market whereas the West is just a niche market. This could mean more reasonable sales targets and a lower price, while also retaining the same group of fans that enjoy the Vita's current offerings.

RK128

Sony can be very persistent with its products, even in places where it isn't doing so well. I think that there's a chance Sony might take one last shot at the handheld market and I have some thoughts on how they could do it:

Make a product to compete with tablets - Mobile has a caused a huge shift in the market, and dedicated handhelds have really suffered. Rather than try to compete with phones, Sony could attempt to make their own tablet-like device. It would still have buttons, but the form factor would be closer to that of a tablet. They could offer access to Google Play, and focus on services like Netflix in addition to their own exclusive games. In other words, rather than make a device that people would need to carry in addition to a tablet, make a device that replaces traditional tablets.

Just go ahead and make a niche device - On the other end of the spectrum, I wonder if Sony could just make a traditional handheld, but one that's tailored for Japanese developers and Western indie developers. Vita occupies a snug place in the Japanese development industry, while Western indies have found success on the platform. This device would serve to keep them in the Sony ecosystem. Because it's targeted towards smaller development teams and not AAA experiences, Sony wouldn't need to spend as much on R&D/marketing; Japan could be the primary market whereas the West is just a niche market. This could mean more reasonable sales targets and a lower price, while also retaining the same group of fans that enjoy the Vita's current offerings.

While the first option is the more likely bet, I could see the second option being more realistic.

They could re-use a lot of the Vita for that product (the base design, the core hardware (but with a spec. boost in the graphics/cpu/ect), the online system, ect) while adding things people requested (extra triggers and clickable sticks so it supports remote play a lot better) and having its OS mirror the PS4 (as it would be its 'complement' just like the Vita is right now).

I wouldn't mind a hypothetical Vita 3000 that had those features and would happily buy one :D.....just don't expect that to happen (and even if it does, it will never escape JP with how SCEA 'supports' the Vita....).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Tales of Innocence R looked ugly back when it was revealed. I distinctly remember a screenshot with a fruit stall where they didn't model any fruit but just used a flat texture.

The conspiracy theorist in me wants to believe that they made it look that bad so the "slight improvements" in TOHR would go over better, making people ignore the fact that they ruined the perfectly beautiful TOH.

RK128

The conspiracy theorist in me wants to believe that they made it look that bad so the "slight improvements" in TOHR would go over better, making people ignore the fact that they ruined the perfectly beautiful TOH.

Your commenting on ToHR's shift from really great looking sprites too okay looking but nothing impressive 3D models.

If so....you make a good point :l.

Tales of Hearts R looks fine to me on Vita, but that is mainly due to how colorful it looks alongside its fantastic performance on Vita (it looks really clean and the frame rate is very solid; important considering the games strong focus on combat).

Its shame they didn't localize the DS version too, as that way fans could pick up that if they preferred the sprites or that people wanting the PS2-looking Tales game could get the Vita version.

Just glad we got the game in the long run, but its a shame the DS version never made it over :(.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Damn, Megaman Legacy Collection or Super Meat Boy?

I'm very interest in both but I had the Megaman Collection for PS2 and had a rough time with it. On the other side I haven't played SMB yet but I don't want my games too hard.

I'm very interest in both but I had the Megaman Collection for PS2 and had a rough time with it. On the other side I haven't played SMB yet but I don't want my games too hard.
I don't think SMB even has a release date yet, unless I missed it. It'll also be free with Plus

The Vita being a digital platform is a wonderful thing, so if the system loses its retail prescence, its digital store front will continue to be very attractive to third parties and indie devs :D.

I'm going to throw out many "controversial"/"already-discussed too much" sides of digital because they first need to effing up their game.

Several examples from my experiences in PSN JP:
  • Pre-ordering would sometimes got you artbook. Getting from PSN gets you nothing.
  • Sen no Kiseki (II?) had a pre-order campaign which would determine how many "free DLCs" they will give away did not include PSN buys. You could not even pre-order it. Similarly, Makai something Trillion only counted physical pre-orders. I wonder if they would have given out the free DLCs (pre-order awards) if the game didn't sold out but massively got a lot of downloads instead.
  • Sometimes, they just FLATOUT leave out PSN buys on free DLCs. Didn't matter if you bought the moment that PSN update went live.
  • You are also completely left out on "DLC that exclusively came on that Super Extra Premium Box Set". Buying both Ciel nosurge Offline and Ar nosurge Plus did not get me that little set that came from buying that combo pack.
  • Drama/Voice CDs. I mean, what the hell. I'll eat Falcom Eiden Kiseki for breakfast if they did. What's more annoying is that these sometimes give more to the game (background, etc).
  • OSTs. It CAN be done via various ways, so why doesn't everyone? Senran Kagura even had its own Vita app that you download and run on Vita to get the mp3s. Digimon Cybersleuth gave a code to physical copies that allowed them to download 5-ish times while digital had infinite re-downloads (requires linking your PSN account to Bandai's)
  • Fucking digital Artbook. Yes, again. I have never seen any single one release any digital artbook that came with the game. Sure, not everyone likes artbooks all the time, but I am pretty fucking sure that a LOT of people would be happy if their pre-ordered/bought Day-1 Vanillaware game on PSN came with a digital artbook.
It annoys me more because artbooks serves me more as digital (esp. high res). I can get stuff from it and use it as a wall paper on my PC or phone. That and they won't consume physical space. My artbooks are piling up, and aside from those "100% I'll keep those for life" collector's editions, I plan to scan them and throw them away when the time comes to move.

They don't at the least put both digital and physical on the same playing field when it comes to these. These applies to everything, not just Vita.

Tizoc

Have you played SMB before? Cuz I found it not for me with its difficulty, plus dude it's a little guy who leaves his blood on walls ewww

Get Megaman Legacy so Capcom makes more Legacy Vol. 2.

This is a great idea... if they want to make sure it utterly fails. Seriously, I cannot see how introducing an expensive, niche device into an oversaturated market could end in anything but complete failure. Non-gamers won't want it, because they won't want to pay for the extra features they won't use, and gamers won't want it, because can you imagine trying to carry around a Wii U gamepad everywhere you go? It's such a bad idea, that it's probably exactly what Sony will do.

This is what needs to happen. Keep the form factor, up the power, improve the controls a bit, and launch at a reasonable price. Ideally, it'll be able to play Vita physical and digital games, will use microSD storage, and will have the power to play PS2 classics. It probably won't be a runaway success, but it should be a steady supply of income for them.

This is what needs to happen. Keep the form factor, up the power, improve the controls a bit, and launch at a reasonable price. Ideally, it'll be able to play Vita physical and digital games, will use microSD storage, and will have the power to play PS2 classics. It probably won't be a runaway success, but it should be a steady supply of income for them.

This is what my dreams are made of. Just give me a Vita (2000) that's a little bit more powerful and has some QoL improvements. Won't happen though :(

Rogan

Banned
My download speed is more consistent and higher now. I have a 120Mbit connection and my download speed for games is around 6 / 7 megabyte/s.

I changed nothing in my settings.

RK128

It's not just today. Thread has been moving slower the whole month.

I guess people are playing more games, are distracted by other consoles or just life in general pushing people away from games (college starts for a lot of people late this month; I know my fourth year at Adelphi starts Aug. 27/28th).

Maybe its the lack of huge releases for the Vita? I mean, right at the start of July we got Ar No Surge Plus launching and tons of stuff coming out throughout the month (not to mention people commenting on games purchased late June like Hyperdimension ReBirth 3).

It will pick up over time :). .....And I will take up 10% of the posts like last month's thread as well XD.

autoduelist

This is what I've been calling for, for the past two years or so. Upping the power enough to run PS2 classics could be huge (though new vita games should be required to run on existing systems, don't split user base). Having a portable PS2 on the market would be awesome. The only thing I'd add is any obvious improvements to the networking hardware to further refine remote play. As for form factor, I'd morph it more into a dual shock shape to support triggers, etc, but perhaps leaving it as is and just adding horizontal dual triggers would work.

And yes, it wouldn't be a relaunch to be a runaway success, but it would create a device that could [potentially] live through the livespan of the ps4 and 5 due to remote play + back catalog [ps2] support.

SMT Nocturne on a portable, please. Will buy.

[i don't think we'll get microSD though... but who knows?]

Sony can be very persistent with its products, even in places where it isn't doing so well

Yep. And they live in the consumer electronics space -- they want to own the gadget space, they have the teams and infrastructure in place for development/manufacturing/etc. It seems to me it would make more sense to have a small R&D team working on potential devices than simply saying 'meh, never again!'. Especially if they could figure out a way to piggy back on the success of the ps4... and i think a rebirth of the vita tech, plus ps2 classics, plus improving [the already great] remote play experience might justify another iteration.

I'd like to hope so, at least.

I'm going to throw out many "controversial"/"already-discussed too much" sides of digital because they first need to effing up their game.

Several examples from my experiences in PSN JP:
  • Pre-ordering would sometimes got you artbook. Getting from PSN gets you nothing.
  • Sen no Kiseki (II?) had a pre-order campaign which would determine how many "free DLCs" they will give away did not include PSN buys. You could not even pre-order it. Similarly, Makai something Trillion only counted physical pre-orders. I wonder if they would have given out the free DLCs (pre-order awards) if the game didn't sold out but massively got a lot of downloads instead.
  • Sometimes, they just FLATOUT leave out PSN buys on free DLCs. Didn't matter if you bought the moment that PSN update went live.
  • You are also completely left out on "DLC that exclusively came on that Super Extra Premium Box Set". Buying both Ciel nosurge Offline and Ar nosurge Plus did not get me that little set that came from buying that combo pack.
  • Drama/Voice CDs. I mean, what the hell. I'll eat Falcom Eiden Kiseki for breakfast if they did. What's more annoying is that these sometimes give more to the game (background, etc).
  • OSTs. It CAN be done via various ways, so why doesn't everyone? Senran Kagura even had its own Vita app that you download and run on Vita to get the mp3s. Digimon Cybersleuth gave a code to physical copies that allowed them to download 5-ish times while digital had infinite re-downloads (requires linking your PSN account to Bandai's)
  • Fucking digital Artbook. Yes, again. I have never seen any single one release any digital artbook that came with the game. Sure, not everyone likes artbooks all the time, but I am pretty fucking sure that a LOT of people would be happy if their pre-ordered/bought Day-1 Vanillaware game on PSN came with a digital artbook.
It annoys me more because artbooks serves me more as digital (esp. high res). I can get stuff from it and use it as a wall paper on my PC or phone. That and they won't consume physical space. My artbooks are piling up, and aside from those "100% I'll keep those for life" collector's editions, I plan to scan them and throw them away when the time comes to move.

They don't at the least put both digital and physical on the same playing field when it comes to these. These applies to everything, not just Vita.

Digital is still going through some growing pains, and companies are sorting out this sort of thing.

A couple potential issues --

1) They know more about the market than we do. The addition of digital goods [art books, etc] may simply not be something their market research tells them people want, even if you do.

2) Even if enough people want it, they may not. One of the advantages of moving to digital storefronts is shedding a lot of physical concerns -- no more dealing with packaging, etc. They may be perfectly happy to shed the 'extra work' of developing all those goodies 'twice' (once physically, once digitally).

3) Even if the market wants to do it, and they want to do it, the infrastructure might not be completely there yet? As you mentioned in your OST part, different companies have come up with different methods (including a vita app!)... that tells me there's no standardized way to get us stuff like digital artbooks, which means it's a lot more work than just designing an artbook -- you need to design a delivery service too. Unless sony decided to standardize a 'digital artbook format' (which maybe they have? I remember uncharted comics on the ps3) it may just be too much of a pain in the neck.

All 3 above, though, really just go back to 'digital growing pains'. We only just started going digital last gen, and really, only full force this gen. They're still working out kinks in pricing, pre-ordering, organization/download capabilities, etc... it might be awhile till we start seeing fully fleshed out pre-order bonuses.

And last but not least... in a physical world, it makes more sense to do a limited run of stuff like cds and art books for preorders. But in a digital world, it makes a lot less sense to do anything 'limited'. If you're going to make an digital artbook, it's not limited by production issues, it's 'unlimited' by definition since it's digital. So that begs the question -- why limit it to preorders? Why not make it available after release for those that want it? Why not sell it for $5 instead? But that brings up more issues -- will it no longer being 'preorder only' cheapen it in collectors eyes? And plenty of more questions come to mind, but that's what I meant when I said digital is still going through growing pains and some issues haven't been sorted out yet.

RK128

August is bad, period. Every dang year is a chore to get through it.

I would have to agree, particularly due to two 'big' things happening this month for me (big test on the 20th and my sister going away to college on the 28th)......not a good month honestly :(.

I didn't buy any game this month aside of Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold, so I can see how others can be disappointed with this month if they aren't into EO. There's DT2 at least.

September-November is going to be madness.

Saphirax

I didn't buy any game this month aside of Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold, so I can see how others can be disappointed with this month if they aren't into EO. There's DT2 at least.

September-November is going to be madness.

I can't wait to have no money and no time to buy all the games I want :p.

I can't wait to have no money and no time to buy all the games I want :p.

I have a full time job to be able to buy whatever I want, then at night I have to study for a certification a couple of hours... then I have to give my SO some attention.... and my friends come over every Friday/Saturday to my place pretty much all day.

I have the money but no time, so I don't know what's worse lol.

VLiberty

Doesn't help that this is probably the hottest August I can remember (in Germany). The temps are insane and I just want to die. Next week looks better though.
Yeah and here it's probably even hotter. I'd like to go out but everyone is on vacation, I should be studying for a ton of exams so I can't go on vacation but it's too hot to study and so I'm not doing anything
To add to the pile, I can only smoke outside my house, and as I said I'm barely going out.. :V

Videogames are basically the only thing carrying me over.

I would have to agree, particularly due to two 'big' things happening this month for me (big test on the 20th and my sister going away to college on the 28th)......not a good month honestly :(.
Aw :/ good luck man!

Saphirax

I have a full time job to be able to buy whatever I want, then at night I have to study for a certification a couple of hours... then I have to give my SO some attention.... and my friends come over every Friday/Saturday to my place pretty much all day.

You'll just have the games there...waiting to be played :p.

RK128

Yeah and here it's probably even hotter. I'd like to go out but everyone is on vacation, I should be studying for a ton of exams so I can't go on vacation but it's too hot to study and so I'm not doing anything
To add to the pile, I can only smoke outside my house, and as I said I'm barely going out.. :V

Videogames are basically the only thing carrying me over.

Aw :/ good luck man!

The weather isn't the best it could be :(....but it seems to be getting cooler (live in New York), so that helps :).

And thank you for the kind words :D.

The test shouldn't be that bad (as it doesn't have a specific topic to study for and I could take it again if I fail....which DON'T want to do honestly) and its been really hard on my mom the fact my sister is leaving :'(. But things will be fine :). Both my mom and my sister are very strong people :D.

This is what I've been calling for, for the past two years or so. Upping the power enough to run PS2 classics could be huge (though new vita games should be required to run on existing systems, don't split user base). Having a portable PS2 on the market would be awesome. The only thing I'd add is any obvious improvements to the networking hardware to further refine remote play. As for form factor, I'd morph it more into a dual shock shape to support triggers, etc, but perhaps leaving it as is and just adding horizontal dual triggers would work.

And yes, it wouldn't be a relaunch to be a runaway success, but it would create a device that could [potentially] live through the livespan of the ps4 and 5 due to remote play + back catalog [ps2] support.

SMT Nocturne on a portable, please. Will buy.

[i don't think we'll get microSD though... but who knows?]

I'd much rather they keep the same flat form factor. As it is, it slips really nicely into a my pants pocket or a pocket on my laptop bag, while making it more dual shock shaped would ruin that convenience. And yeah, microSD is unlikely, but I figured, while I was dreaming...

I know that feel. I keep telling myself "yeah, I'll totally work through my backlog once I retire! ...30 years from now..."

Man God

Non-Canon Member

I'd rather have the time.

Prelude.

Hey everyone, buy Sayonara Umihara Kawase+. It's good.

2015-08-12-213418n6rx7.jpg

Oh, TOTP. Sooo... yeah, buy it.
It's 50% off in Europe and I think it should be discounted in NA soon.

The original snes game plays wonderfully as well, I don't remember it being so smooth on the DS collection but I'm not 100% sure, it's been a while.

N° 2048

Decided to start Danganronpa 2 even when I'm only 40 hours into Persona 4 Golden.

Just a blast hopping between the two. Had to post that :p

(First time playing both)

Top Bottom