• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | August 2015

I'm starting to dust off my Vita for Tuesday. The Vita age begins with some dungeon crawling for 2 weeks. And then Danganronpa drops. Finally, we are getting new stuff that I want to play.

RK128

Most of the media that still bothers to review Vita games tends to give them a lot of shine, though there were some people speaking out about that particular game's problems.

Its like they forget that the PS Vita isn't as powerful as a PS3 or something......

Its Sony's fault with this though, as they gave the Vita the image of a very very powerful handheld that matches the PS3/360, despite the Vita not being as powerful as that.

Still, Borderlands 2 was a damn impressive port; huge open world game with its content mostly being 1-to-1 with the PS3 version all the while running at native res and it running on the UE3 (famous for being crap on the Vita). People expected to much from the port sadly, and it lead to people calling it crap, when there were far worse ports to the Vita (Jak Collection says hello here, alongside its very good friend Ratchet FFA Vita ;)).

Chuy

I thought this as well, but...

...I've heard this as well. Was wondering if anyone could confirm running at least a 1.5tb HDD.

Edit: Omg, top of page! Oh wait, are we not doing that anymore? I don't care: if you have a PS4 try Gauntlet, and if you have a Vita get hyped for RE:Rev 2 (assuming it's a good port).
I tried the Seagate 2tb backup hard drive a while ago and it didn't work. From what I've read it's iffy on 2tb hard drives but does 1.5tb just fine.

Dug

Banned
Anyone else's PS4 friends list not updating? It shows I have 11 friends online but when I go into my friends list it says 19.

Bowl0l

I think it might be 1TB?
I tried the Seagate 2tb backup hard drive a while ago and it didn't work. From what I've read it's iffy on 2tb hard drives but does 1.5tb just fine.
Awesome. Looks like I'll get a 1.5tb drive then. Thanks!
Tapejara, if your PS3 can work with a 1.5TB HDD, do PM me. I can assure you that 2TB HDD doesn't work because my PS3 Super Slim doesn't even boot up. I am now using a 1TB hybrid drive.

incpdo

BL2 got major coverage and the general opinion was that it wasn't as good as the ps3 version so there was no point to it.
I understand this is the era of 60fps or die but i did and i do have a lot of fun playing the game. Game framedrops are when you have lots of enemies. and yes it sucks . but is far from unplayable or unacceptable imo considering the specs of the machine. I still play the game and it improves a little playing in plane mode.
It's not a jak n daxter situation. It's more a metal gear 3ds situation but with better framerate than metal gear solid 3d.

Xenoflare

I understand this is the era of 60fps or die but i did and i do have a lot of fun playing the game. Game framedrops are when you have lots of enemies. and yes it sucks . but is far from unplayable or unacceptable imo considering the specs of the machine. I still play the game and it improves a little playing in plane mode.
It's not a jak n daxter situation. It's more a metal gear 3ds situation but with better framerate than metal gear solid 3d.

However this really doesn't excuse BL2's unstable performance on the Vita. Sure, considering the power of the device running the game itself is quite of an amazing feat already, but shoddy performance is shoddy performance, period. On consoles it ran stably at 30 fps for the most part and no one really complained because well, it's stable.

I'd excuse it if not for the obvious better alternatives. The portability alone isn't enough to justify it's trade off, to each of their own I guess

Glad you enjoyed the game though.

VLiberty

I noticed that I never tried Super exploding zoo other than the first level, now I've cleared the first park and I'm digging it.

salromano

My Vita won't boot past the PlayStation logo. When I try to safe mode it, I can get to the options screen, but no matter what I select, it does nothing and eventually goes back to the PlayStation logo and stays there endlessly. Trying to turn off the system results in the screen going black for a moment before returning to the PlayStation logo again. (Though it eventually turns off.) What do I do? (Besides cry.) I wanna play. ='(

Ambitious

The recommendations in the PSN store on PS4 are just amazing.
Based on Rocket League, they recommend me GoW 3 Remastered, The Witcher 3, and MKX. Based on Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, they recommend me The Witcher 3, MKX and GoW 3 Remastered. Based on GoW: Ascension, they recommend me TES Online, GoW 3 Remastered, MKX and The Witcher 3.

Saphirax

My Vita won't boot past the PlayStation logo. When I try to safe mode it, I can get to the options screen, but no matter what I select, it does nothing and eventually goes back to the PlayStation logo and stays there endlessly. Trying to turn off the system results in the screen going black for a moment before returning to the PlayStation logo again. (Though it eventually turns off.) What do I do? (Besides cry.) I wanna play. ='(

Did you try removing the memory card? Aside from that, there doesn't seem to be a solution to the problem besides sending it in for repairs :/.

autoduelist

However this really doesn't excuse BL2's unstable performance on the Vita. Sure, considering the power of the device running the game itself is quite of an amazing feat already, but shoddy performance is shoddy performance, period. On consoles it ran stably at 30 fps for the most part and no one really complained because well, it's stable.

I'd excuse it if not for the obvious better alternatives. The portability alone isn't enough to justify it's trade off, to each of their own I guess

Glad you enjoyed the game though.

It's fairly evident from reading GAF that different people have extremely different tolerances for frame rate. So much so that I think it's beyond just basic 'I like this or that'... I think our eyes/minds are processing it differently.

For example, some genres like FPS give some small percentage of people motion sickness. I wonder if, while not to the degree of motion sickness, some people simply see/observe frame drops easier and perhaps are more sensitive to it, and/or some people's minds simply 'gloss over' or maybe even 'auto-correct' the issue. There are games deemed 'unplayable' that I barely even notice frame drops in. Even really bad ones barely register and don't really bother me all that much. I don't think I would be able to tell you if a game was stable 30 or, say, 25-30.

I mean, I plat'd both TLOU and TLOU remastered... and if people didn't make such a big deal about the framerate (from unstable 30 to stable 60, iirc) I don't think I would have even noticed. In fact, I -know- I wouldn't have noticed a difference. Maybe if I viewed them side by side? But I'd never do that, so... it's not an important metric.

And racing games? Never, ever, would I even notice that one is 'only' 30, but some call a racer at 30 unplayable.

Based on Rocket League, they recommend me GoW 3 Remastered, The Witcher 3, and MKX. Based on Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, they recommend me The Witcher 3, MKX and GoW 3 Remastered. Based on GoW: Ascension, they recommend me TES Online, GoW 3 Remastered, MKX and The Witcher 3.

It's a relatively new feature and people don't buy enough to generate decent recommendations. amazon, netflix, etc work well because they have a massive amount of past purchases to sift through... but on PSN, people don't buy as often and when they do, it's often grouped based on current sales, etc, so gives 'false' info [ie, a flash sale might cause 1000 people to buy p4g and txk, which would cause issues for the algorithm, connecting those two games over more similar games long after the sale ended.

maybe in a couple years it'll be better.

I figured out last night that the DS4 works with Doom Classic Complete on PS3. Feels great. The DS3 just didn't feel quite right to me on that one. Add in the wireless headphones and it's a nice way to experience it.

Is there any up to date list of DS4 compatible games? Seems every one I find via search is older. Surely a pretty exhaustive list is out there by now...?

Shizuka

Have you tried to lock and unlock the system while the logo is displayed? Other than removing the memory card, I have no idea if you can do anything else besides the safe mode which you already did.

Ambitious

It's a relatively new feature and people don't buy enough to generate decent recommendations. amazon, netflix, etc work well because they have a massive amount of past purchases to sift through... but on PSN, people don't buy as often and when they do, it's often grouped based on current sales, etc, so gives 'false' info [ie, a flash sale might cause 1000 people to buy p4g and txk, which would cause issues for the algorithm, connecting those two games over more similar games long after the sale ended.

maybe in a couple years it'll be better.

I seriously doubt they're lacking purchases. You don't need billions of them to come up with useful recommendations.

Dammit just play God of War so it will stop bothering you about it.

Is SteinsGate worth picking up at the sale price?
This reminds me, there seems to be an absurd limitation on (Western?) PSN that publishers can't include semicolons in game titles. It appears that the Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth series was affected by this, too. At least the actual game bubble isn't affected by this.

Prelude.

This reminds me, there seems to be an absurd limitation on (Western?) PSN that publishers can't include semicolons in game titles. It appears that the Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth series was affected by this, too. At least the actual game bubble isn't affected by this.
It's probably some stupid store limitation. Like, they're using semicolons for something else in the code so that would fuck up game titles. At least now it's searchable on the web store.
Trophies are fine though.

Steins;Gate on sale already? Oof.
Well, that's not surprising when the digital copy was €10 more than the physical. Why would anyone buy it digitally?

I thought this as well, but...

...I've heard this as well. Was wondering if anyone could confirm running at least a 1.5tb HDD.

Edit: Omg, top of page! Oh wait, are we not doing that anymore? I don't care: if you have a PS4 try Gauntlet, and if you have a Vita get hyped for RE:Rev 2 (assuming it's a good port).

I can confirm that 2Tb hard drives don't work on the PS3. I would speculate the max would be 1Tb, but I wouldn't know for sure.

Producer

Digital was priced 10€ higher than physical. I'd guess to make sure customers get the disc version first and ignore PSN for the launch period, or something. Sales price is now what you paid for physical at launch, which is still dumb.

I didnt know that, why the hell did they think that was a good idea lol.

autoduelist

I seriously doubt they're lacking purchases. You don't need billions of them to come up with useful recommendations.

But they're clearly lacking purchases, as evidenced by the currently bad recommendations combined with knowledge of how recommendation systems work. You don't need 'billions', but you do need to see long term groupings, and PSN buying habits are often triggered by short term sales that would throw off recommendation algorithms. Every sale (weekly, summer, etc), for example, creates data that hurts their algorithm rather than helping it. Netflix, etc, don't have that problem.

You might want to recommend dark souls to people buying demon souls, but if you put demons on sale at the same time as Tetris you create false correlation that is difficult for a relatively new system to overcome. All the algorithm knows is that people that buy demons souls also love to buy Tetris. Time, specifically more data, will solve this but it absolutely explains the current poor recommendations.

But they're clearly lacking purchases, as evidenced by the currently bad recommendations combined with knowledge of how recommendation systems work. You don't need 'billions', but you do need to see long term groupings, and PSN buying habits are often triggered by short term sales that would throw off recommendation algorithms. Every sale (weekly, summer, etc), for example, creates data that hurts their algorithm rather than helping it. Netflix, etc, don't have that problem.

You might want to recommend dark souls to people buying demon souls, but if you put demons on sale at the same time as Tetris you create false correlation that is difficult for a relatively new system to overcome. All the algorithm knows is that people that buy demons souls also love to buy Tetris. Time, specifically more data, will solve this but it absolutely explains the current poor recommendations.
I'm pretty sure their algorithm just sucks

autoduelist

Obviously possible. They're surprisingly nasty to design even w/o the aforementioned hurdles [I had to design a restaurant recommendation system at one point in my career... yuck]. But my money is still on various issues such as the ones I mentioned.

Tapejara

Tapejara, if your PS3 can work with a 1.5TB HDD, do PM me. I can assure you that 2TB HDD doesn't work because my PS3 Super Slim doesn't even boot up. I am now using a 1TB hybrid drive.

I'll be sure to let you know. Probably going to pick one up during the week if I can.

Hubb

Speaking of which, Atlus release of this week featured Japanese voice fully. Thus mean there'll be hope of having dual voice option for P5.

That's only because they weren't going to dub that game. Hopefully they offer the option for P5 though.

Does anyone know what issues prevent the psp port of Valkarie Profile from appearing on PSN? I can understand Kingdom Hearts because of Disney being silly(although they've recently brought a massive catalog of their games to steam) but isn't VP Square Enix's franchise?

Tizoc

Does anyone know what issues prevent the psp port of Valkarie Profile from appearing on PSN? I can understand Kingdom Hearts because of Disney being silly(although they've recently brought a massive catalog of their games to steam) but isn't VP Square Enix's franchise?

Might be music/song related :X

I currently have one of my Vitas on JP PSN for P4DAN and IA/VT DLC and was checking out the summer sales they have going. I missed a ton of stuff during the PSP days so I never really heard anything about 7th Dragon 2020 and 2020-II, they're both on sale for ¥1000 each and I just got the first one because it looks really neat.

I was joking
not really joking
in the P4DAN Miku DLC thread that more games need to feature Miku.. and these games do! how did I miss that. Why weren't they localized ;_;

Just look at the openings, those games were made for me. JRPG, really nice PSP graphics, Miku..
2020 Opening (feat. Miku)
2020-II Opening (feat. Miku)

apparently you can rescue her in the games and then some/most of the BGM feature Vocaloid vocals.
There's a fan-tranlsation for 2020-II in the works. I hope that'll be finished at some point.

Ambitious

Given the general state of PlayStation software (PS3/PS4/Vita firmwares, PSN, PSN Store) in terms of UI, UX, performance and functionality, I'm convinced this is the correct answer.

Obviously possible. They're surprisingly nasty to design even w/o the aforementioned hurdles [I had to design a restaurant recommendation system at one point in my career... yuck]. But my money is still on various issues such as the ones I mentioned.

Well, in that case your opinion obviously weighs way more than mine. Still, if I think of all the problems, flaws and shortcomings I've encountered in PlayStation software, I find it hard to dismiss my take.
On the other hand, a shitty algorithm is not mutually exclusive with a lack of data for said algorithm, so we might both be right.

Massa

Given the general state of PlayStation software (PS3/PS4/Vita firmwares, PSN, PSN Store) in terms of UI, UX, performance and functionality, I'm convinced this is the correct answer.

I know people like to complain about Sony here but this is just so wrong. The state of the OS on their systems is quite impressive. The PS4 OS beats the Xbox One in every area you mentioned and it was built with a fraction of the resources. Same with Vita.

I know people like to complain about Sony here but this is just so wrong. The state of the OS on their systems is quite impressive. The PS4 OS beats the Xbox One in every area you mentioned and it was built with a fraction of the resources. Same with Vita.

The PS4 has Sony's worst UI experience, at least once you have more than a few games or apps installed. I'll take the Vita's UI or the XMB over the PS4's mess any day. Well except for speed, but that's largely a function of hardware power.

Massa

The PS4 has Sony's worst UI experience, at least once you have more than a few games or apps installed. I'll take the Vita's UI or the XMB over the PS4's mess any day. Well except for speed, but that's largely a function of hardware power.

The PS4 is the best UI I've used in a console. The idea of prioritizing recent apps fits perfectly with the usage pattern of a console, when I'm usually playing about 3-5 games at a time.

The PS4 is the best UI I've used in a console. The idea of prioritizing recent apps fits perfectly with the usage pattern of a console, when I'm usually playing about 3-5 games at a time.

Placing them in an uncustomizable horizontal bar with forced apps in between that you cannot move or remove results has resulted in a pretty poor UI experience for me. Especially considering how PS+ encourages installing a ton of different games at once, finding anything becomes an exercise that takes much much longer than it should. The top bar works pretty well for how they use it, but the bottom one does not, especially since they moved the PS store down to it. It's a cluttered mess that they don't give the user any ability to customize to their needs.

Massa

Placing them in an uncustomizable horizontal bar with forced apps in between that you cannot move or remove results has resulted in a pretty poor UI experience for me. Especially considering how PS+ encourages installing a ton of different games at once, finding anything becomes an exercise that takes much much longer than it should. The top bar works pretty well for how they use it, but the bottom one does not, especially since they moved the PS store down to it. It's a cluttered mess that they don't give the user any ability to customize to their needs.

The reason I like the games list is precisely that, it requires no fiddling whatsoever and it just keeps the games I'm playing on top with no manual action required.

The reason I like the games list is precisely that, it requires no fiddling whatsoever and it just keeps the games I'm playing on top with no manual action required.

Customization options and keeping things you've played recently on top aren't mutually exclusive. Look at the XMB. The PS4 actually handles this poorly because it clutters the bar with apps and other garbage instead of just being a line of games you have installed, but Sony wants to keep that stuff there as a way to advertise to people. If I could just create a folder like I can do on most modern operating systems to hide the junk I don't want to see, it'd be so much better.

Massa

I haven't seen ads there since Vue and Now were pushed but that problem solved itself months ago.

Anyway, yeah, I just love the PS4 UI.

Top Bottom