• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | August 2015

Thanks, this post really helped clear up my confusion.

What I'm getting from Mauricio_Magus/Basileus777 and Google is that the games went like this: To Heart (visual novel) -> To Heart 2 (visual novel) -> To Heart 2: Dungeon Travelers 1 (DRPG) -> Dungeon Travelers 2 (DRPG). I wonder why they dropped the To Heart name.

Probably because the series is now "Dungeon Travelers" and not that much about To Heart anymore.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Probably because the series is now "Dungeon Travelers" and not that much about To Heart anymore.

Pretty much. It was just more like a fan spinoff title that actually turned out to be more popular than expected. With that Aquaplus did the next reasonable thing and make an original series so they could try to bring more folks into the fold. Though wonder how the project is going considering the delay for 2-2. There seems to be issues with the vita port though with the initial launch version, have not checked if all of that has been patched up yet. Kinda expected since they redid the whole title instead of just directly porting the psp one.

I still remember the original psp title being sold out all over the place for quite some time and it kept a high price for the most part during the psp era.

mauaus

Adv. of Pip is great, if you like 2D Platformers like Shovel Knight you will likely like this game too.
Gameplay is top notch and it's among my GotY 2015 contenders.
I finished my first play through 100% and unlocked all trophies the game is awesome super fun and rarely frustrating. The difficulty is just right

18-Volt

So, IFI's last upcoming title Amnesia is coming next week. When should we expect new localization announcements? I need Makai Shin Trillion and Death Under the Labyrinth (releases next month in Japan). I'd be extremely happy if they add Neptunia V-2 and TagTeam Blanc + Nep to those two.

Shizuka

So, IFI's last upcoming title Amnesia is coming next week. When should we expect new localization announcements? I need Makai Shin Trillion and Death Under the Labyrinth (releases next month in Japan). I'd be extremely happy if they add Neptunia V-2 and TagTeam Blanc + Nep to those two.

Technically, they still have NepReb3 that's coming to Steam next month.

VLiberty

Beyond Human looks amazing. Assuming it won't get canned/delayed into 2020, that's another Vita game I'm looking forward to in 2017

RK128

My guesses is that their release plan will be like this:
-Neptunia V-2: Feb/March 2016
-Death Under the Labyrinth: May/June 2016
-TagTeam Blanc + Nep: Aug. 2016
-Sega Hard Girls X Neptunia: Sept. 2016

I also wouldn't be shocked if they announced a Vita version of Victory 2 in the future. The other Neptunia games are on Vita and more are on the way. So, making a down-port/remaster/ect of Victory 2 for Vita might be a smart move to get more sales out of the title and a way to convert Victory 2 assets to Vita hardware (letting the Blanc and Sega Hard Girls X Neptuina team more resources to play with in making their Vita games).

Parakeetman

My bet is that their release plan will be like this:

Serious question, what are you basing those predictions off of?

RK128

Serious question, what are you basing those predictions off of?

Just from what I feel might happen :l.

The Neptunia series has to have done well for them, with so many Vita games being made and localized. And they likely are developing the games in mind for localization (Victory 2 likely started its localization this summer after the US/EU release of ReBirth 3, and the other Vita spin-off games are likely having localization starting a month or so before they release in JP (which is why they are the 'later' releases for 2016 in my list).

The other games I guess is due to just trying to fill-out their release date slots over next year (they can't release everything in 2-4 months XD).

And that Death Under the Labyrinth game is releasing next month in JP, so they have more then enough time to localize the game for a mid-summer release for the west :).

Edit: I am a very optimistic person, so I'm sorry if my release date list is unrealistic or anything XD.

Parakeetman

Just from what I feel might happen :l.

The Neptunia series has to have done well for them, with so many Vita games being made and localized. And they likely are developing the games in mind for localization (Victory 2 likely started its localization this summer after the US/EU release of ReBirth 3, and the other Vita spin-off games are likely having localization starting a month or so before they release in JP (which is why they are the 'later' releases for 2016 in my list).

The other games I guess is due to just trying to fill-out their release date slots over next year (they can't release everything in 2-4 months XD).

And that Death Under the Labyrinth game is releasing next month in JP, so they have more then enough time to localize the game for a mid-summer release for the west :).

Had thought you were using previously released localized titles vs turnover time from when it was released in Japan.

RK128

Had thought you were using previously released localized titles vs turnover time from when it was released in Japan.

Don't know the history of Idea Factory/Complete Heart (just got into the Neptuina series this year), so can't really guess what they did in the past regarding Vita releases.

They'll bring across Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force too.

Not too sure about Makai Shin Trillion/Death Under the Labyrinth yet, but I'm hopeful.

And yeah, like 18-Volt says, I wonder when they'll announce their upcoming games since they don't really have anything else in the pipeline.

It's the same thing with NISA though. They normally release a lot of stuff in Q1 but right now they have nothing announced beyond Rodea in November.

I also wouldn't be shocked if they announced a Vita version of Victory 2 in the future. The other Neptunia games are on Vita and more are on the way. So, making a down-port/remaster/ect of Victory 2 for Vita might be a smart move to get more sales out of the title and a way to convert Victory 2 assets to Vita hardware (letting the Blanc and Sega Hard Girls X Neptuina team more resources to play with in making their Vita games).

Speaking of a downport, wonder why there isnt a Fairy Fencer F for Vita or Omega Quintet for Vita for that matter. Omega Quintet definitely seems like a game to downport as I dont think it lit up the charts, even comparing to the Hyperdimension series.

I also hope you are right with those localizations (though would love some of them much sooner...). I also hope for Trilion and the PS4 Fairy Fencer F...I am not really familiar with the game but I heard its good and Tiara is OP in HD Noire.

Speaking of a downport, wonder why there isnt a Fairy Fencer F for Vita or Omega Quintet for Vita for that matter. Omega Quintet definitely seems like a game to downport as I dont think it lit up the charts, even comparing to the Hyperdimension series.

I could see Omega Quintet coming to Vita in future.

Fairy Fencer F seems in the same boat as Witch & Hundred Knight for NIS. I was sure they were going to port it to Vita, but ended up doing a 1.5 version on PS4. And I'd imagine that means the sequel is coming to PS4 too.

VLiberty

About GOW...not the best port in history, but serviceable. Props to Sanzaru for mapping actions that required extra buttons to virtual buttons on the facetouch. Luckily there's still someone not as dumb as mass media who maps extra buttons to the rear pad without a bit of thinking

RK128

I also hope you are right with those localizations (though would love some of them much sooner...). I also hope for Trilion and the PS4 Fairy Fencer F...I am not really familiar with the game but I heard its good and Tiara is OP in HD Noire.

I could easily see both Omega Quintet and Victory 2 get ported to the Vita; they can give those games stronger legs with the Vita audience, give games more exposure and have assets for Victory 2 down-scaled to the Vita (which allows other developers working on the Neptuina series, spin-off or otherwise, have a new batch of assets to play with alongside Victory's assets (which as been used in all the ReBirth games since they launched).

SerTapTap

I'm trying to use a PS4 controller as a remote for a DVD without chapters and it's like a minefield. Press the shoulder buttons? Skip to the end, no way to return. Square? Back to main menu, no way to return. I realize half the problem is DVDs not having proper bookmarking but eesh. Glad I barely watch anything

About GOW...not the best port in history, but serviceable. Props to Sanzaru for mapping actions that required extra buttons to virtual buttons on the facetouch. Luckily there's still someone not as dumb as mass media who maps extra buttons to the rear pad without a bit of thinking

I'm slightly surprised Sanzaru haven't been contracted to do more porting work for Vita. They did a great job with Sly 1 - 4 and while GoW wasn't perfect, I think it's about as good as can be expected for one of many "cheap as can be" Vita ports and miles better than Mass Media's efforts.

I'm wondering if it's because they were mostly contracted by SCEA, and it's only SCEE and Third Party Productions who bother with the Vita these days.

RK128

I'm slightly surprised Sanzaru haven't been contracted to do more porting work for Vita. They did a great job with Sly 1 - 4 and while GoW wasn't perfect, I think it's about as good as can be expected for one of many "cheap as can be" Vita ports and miles better than Mass Media's efforts.

I'm wondering if it's because they were mostly contracted by SCEA, and it's only SCEE and Third Party Productions who bother with the Vita these days.

I think its less that Sony isn't interested in working with them on Vita projects and more so that they are busy doing other work.

They developed Sonic Boom Shattered Crystal and this year are working on Sonic Boom Fire & Ice for the fall.

And there is also the possibly they have been silently working on Sly 5 since 2014 (which I could by, as their Vita and 3DS projects couldn't have required the entire studio to work on).

And there is also the possibly they have been silently working on Sly 5 since 2014 (which I could by, as their Vita and 3DS projects couldn't have required the entire studio to work on).

That's exactly why I think the "they've been working on other projects" thing doesn't hold much weight, because they're a studio of 60 people making rush job 3DS games at the moment. They've gotta be working on more than that.

Aside from that, I think these Vita ports are normally put together by teams of like 2-3 people. I seem to remember the people from Just Add Water who work on the Vita versions of Oddworld games are a couple of people strong, so I'd imagine it's the same at all these Vita porting studios.

re. Sly 5, they said themselves that they weren't working on the franchise in November 2014:

https://www.facebook.com/sanzaru/posts/854827631235302

Although apparently a search of their Twitter shows they're working on Occulus games (like another ex-Sony partner, Ready at Dawn):

https://twitter.com/SanzaruGames/status/609096116294918144

Mystery solved I guess.

RK128

Like other studios that SCEA has discarded, Sanzaru is working on stuff for Oculus.

They are working with Oculus? That's cool and I hope whatever they are doing is a success :D.

During a interview about Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice, they were asked if they would like to make another Sly game and they repeatedly said they would love to work with the IP again. So I could see Sony calling them up once production on the Sly film gets further along; they got a game to link-up with Ratchet, I'm sure they want a studio to make a Sly game to link-up with the upcoming film :).

That's exactly why I think the "they've been working on other projects" thing doesn't hold much weight, because they're a studio of 60 people making rush job 3DS games at the moment. They've gotta be working on more than that.

Aside from that, I think these Vita ports are normally put together by teams of like 2-3 people. I seem to remember the people from Just Add Water who work on the Vita versions of Oddworld games are a couple of people strong, so I'd imagine it's the same at all these Vita porting studios.

re. Sly 5, they said themselves that they weren't working on the franchise in November 2014:

https://www.facebook.com/sanzaru/posts/854827631235302

Although apparently a search of their Twitter shows they're working on Occulus games (like another ex-Sony partner, Ready at Dawn):

https://twitter.com/SanzaruGames/status/609096116294918144

Mystery solved I guess.

Well its confirmed they are making Oculus stuff, so that is cool :). Still have hope for them to return to the Sly series, as Thieves in Time was a great game and the Vita version was a very impressive port (native res, great touch screen intergration, ect).

RK128

That is a great deal :D! Remember getting my 32GB card late 2013 during a GameStop deal (sold them for 50 bucks).

I hope this is a sign that Sony is dropping the price of the things (leading to the 64GB card being 60-70 bucks)....but that's not likely :l.

Thanks for sharing this deal regardless though Vylash :D! Gives people a chance to get the higher memory without spending a lot of money.

Takao

Banned
That is a great deal :D! Remember getting my 32GB card late 2013 during a GameStop deal (sold them for 50 bucks).

I hope this is a sign that Sony is dropping the price of the things (leading to the 64GB card being 60-70 bucks)....but that's not likely :l.

Thanks for sharing this deal regardless though Vylash :D! Gives people a chance to get the higher memory without spending a lot of money.

It's on sale for that price because Sony is shutting down their online store.

Tohsaka

I think we'll get all of those, but I'm hoping V-II releases this year at least. They have a lot of games in the works, and they're probably going to fall way behind in terms of localization again after just having been pretty much caught up it seems.

Vylash

I think we'll get all of those, but I'm hoping V-II releases this year at least. They have a lot of games in the works, and they're probably going to fall way behind in terms of localization again after just having been pretty much caught up it seems.

there's way too much releasing this year and we've gotten 4 neptunia games this year, Q1/Q2 2016 is a much safer bet

RK128

there's way too much releasing this year and we've gotten 4 neptunia games this year, Q1/Q2 2016 is a much safer bet

The fact that we two mainline instalments of the series (Rebirth 2 and Rebirth 3) alongside two spin off games (Action Unleashed and Noire), has me thinking that they localize all the games at once.

We got Rebirth 1-3, Noire and Action Unleashed in the span of 11 months; they likely did localization for each of the games together (makes since for the ReBirth games, as they completely re-do most of the VA for each game I think).

So, if my guess there is the case, then we can expect Victory-II, Blanc Zombie game, and Neptuine Vs. Sega Hard Girls all being localized at once the moment ReBirth 3 landed or whenever the Blanc game launches in JP (I think this fall? Not sure if they gave us a release date or not with that one). Plus, we can assume that they started work on Victory-II's localization after it came out in Japan; leading all three games either starting localization now or in the works of being localized.

With that, I feel that its safe to expect the games to come out in the west in the following order :).
-Victory II launches early 2016 in either Feb., March, or April with the games DLC content and guest characters being day-one DLC (free).
-Blanc + Nep. Zombie Game coming sometime in June or July in the west (as the JP version should be coming this fall or early 2016.
-Neptuina vs. Sega Hard Girls being their 'big' fall title (and major installment for the Vita; its a full-on game like the ReBirth titles I think).

And while this is a guess, I could see a Vita version of Victory-II coming this fall for JP and releasing alongside the PS4 version for US/EU in early 2016. The series home is the Vita and the fall will be a very crowded spot for JRPG's on PS4 if KH3 and/or FFXV really do come out next year. Launching the Vita version will help the series get fans of the Vita games on board for the title while giving JP gamers another way to play the game (as they have been playing the PS4 version since the start of this year).

....Plus, I don't think the game will sell amazing on PS4 sadly :(. The series has a negative stigma (just look at GameTrailers Top Franchises that should die....Neptunia is on that list a Number 10 :'() and Omega Quatrent (a game similar to the Neptuina games) doesn't look like it sold great either. So, the series might sell well on PS4 due to people enjoying the Vita games, but it won't sell as well as the Vita titles :(.

So I could easily see Omega Quatrent coming to the Vita this fall in JP (US/EU release early 2016) while Victory-II Vita releases this fall in JP and either alongside the PS4 versions release in the US/EU (early 2016) or a bit latter (Summer 2016 or Fall 2016).

Tizoc

Metal Gear?!
Pfft Big Boss' sob story can wait September all about dat Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls
If I wanna feel despair and sadness I got that covered.

HGH

Banned
The userbase for PS4 is by default bigger than Vita, I don't see the need to worry about VII. It'll probably be an anticipated title for most fans, although I do wonder if the releases of FFXV and Persona 5 will impact its sales among the rest of the crowd. As for porting it to Vita, it seems unlikely. The game is really big and it'd just take too much work and time to do, not to mention no one's available at the moment to do it.
Well, if I were to take an old example, the original Neptunia Victory came out at the end of August 2012. It was released in English around March 2013.
The localization announcement was in mid-September, announced at TGS. So I can see an announcment coming in exactly 1 month for a March 2016 release, especially since IFI already teased this picture on Twitter (look at the timer).
I think you're otherwise overestimating IFI's speed. The reason RB2 and 3 came out so quick was because there already was existing scripts they could reuse and slightly edit. With VII and all those other games, they have to translate and do things from scratch, so I'd add a couple months to each(although they did do all of OQ in only 7 months). Certainly gonna be a packed summer though.

Omega Quintet bombed and was basically just a lesson in PS4 development. At most I expect a PC port, if even that, but don't expect to see or hear from that game again.
A FFF Vita port isn't viable when you're releasing an expanded PS4 version. There's only so many times you can rerelease a game, and Felistella, the people who did the Vita ports, are busy working on Nep Vs Sega anyway. FFF ADF is definitely coming eventually though(probably Q3 2016).
I've expressed doubts at MakaiShin Trillion. It's certainly coming given IFI have a banner for it on their site (whereas something like Moero gets zero mentions because it will never come over), but it's a niche raising simulator VN and something about the whole deal makes me uneasy.

The userbase for PS4 is by default bigger than Vita, I don't see the need to worry about VII. It'll probably be an anticipated title for most fans, although I do wonder if the releases of FFXV and Persona 5 will impact its sales among the rest of the crowd. As for porting it to Vita, it seems unlikely. The game is really big and it'd just take too much work and time to do, not to mention no one's available at the moment to do it.

Felistella? They've just finished working on Luminous Arc Infinity which they were doing at the same time as Neptune vs. SEGA Hard Girls.

They could easily do some porting work at the same time.

Vylash

....Plus, I don't think the game will sell amazing on PS4 sadly :(. The series has a negative stigma (just look at GameTrailers Top Franchises that should die....Neptunia is on that list a Number 10 :'() and Omega Quatrent (a game similar to the Neptuina games) doesn't look like it sold great either. So, the series might sell well on PS4 due to people enjoying the Vita games, but it won't sell as well as the Vita titles :(.

Neptunia tends to sell more in the west that it does in japan, not to mention nobody who likes niche games gives a shit about what big sites like gametrailers think

When it comes to platforms and Idea Factory, the elephant in the room is Steam. Neptunia's sales on Steam are well beyond what it does on the Vita in the West, or even Japan based on volume. Even Fairy Fencer F has sold ~35k in two weeks and it'll have legs like everything else on Steam once it gets featured sales.

Vylash

When it comes to platforms and Idea Factory, the elephant in the room is Steam. Neptunia's sales on Steam are well beyond what it does on the Vita in the West, or even Japan based on volume. Even Fairy Fencer F has sold ~35k in two weeks and it'll have legs like everything else on Steam once it gets featured sales.

each of those units is sold at a much lower price than on vita, not to mention steam takes a 30 percent cut of that, i'd like to think if steam sales were really important they'd put hyperdevotion noire and neptunia u on steam but those obviously aren't happening so i think they just see steam as a nice ribbon on top of their main revenue from ps3/vita

each of those units is sold at a much lower price than on vita, not to mention steam takes a 30 percent cut of that, i'd like to think if steam sales were really important they'd put hyperdevotion noire and neptunia u on steam but those obviously aren't happening so i think they just see steam as a nice ribbon on top of their main revenue from ps3/vita

Why are those games not happening?
Sony also takes a 30% cut btw, retailers take even more

EDIT: Normal price for the game on Steam is $30, and it's not like there are no sales on PSN for those games. Individual unit price really doesn't mean much.

Sony takes pretty much the same cut, that's not a unique factor. And yes it's at a lower price, but the volume they are pushing compared to on the Vita compensates for that quite well. Look at Rebirth 1 selling over 160k, how many games sell that much on the Vita period? A year from now we'll probably look at Steamspy and see FFF near 100k. Give them time, IFI has already put out quite a bit on Steam for only being on it for a year. I suspect you'll see them continue to put more and more titles on the platform.

Vylash

CMmw_KIUAAA2G_g.png:large

fucking lol at europe getting way better P4D swag than us, this is bullshit

Why are those games not happening?
Sony also takes a 30% cut btw, retailers take even more

Sony takes pretty much the same cut, that's not a unique factor. And yes it's at a lower price, but the volume they are pushing compared to on the Vita compensates for that quite well. Look at Rebirth 1 selling over 160k, how many games sell that much on the Vita period? A year from now we'll probably look at Steamspy and see FFF near 100k. Give them time, IFI has already put out quite a bit on Steam for only being on it for a year. I suspect you'll see them continue to put more and more titles on the platform.
yeah i know retailers take the same cut, was just pointing out that the 30 percent cut on top of the already low price doesn't really help things

Zhao_Yun

eh? Doesn't the US get the full OST though? This half of the tarot card set was also already included with P4A:U so nothing new here besides the t-shirt. That being said, I still need that half of the tarot card set but the current GBP-EUR conversion rate is so horrible for importers...

SerTapTap

Without proper digital numbers (do we even have proper retail numbers) let alone per-price point numbers I don't really think it's fair to assume Neptunia does way better on Steam than elsewhere. The Steam stuff was clearly an experiment and since they haven't added any games to be ported (aside from Rebirth 3 which would have been cruel not to port) I wouldn't assume it's a sure thing. I wouldn't be super surprised to see them come either, but people seem very happy to assume PC wins everything forever even with evidence from only one side of the equation.

Also damn, 12 new otome games from Idea Factory, mostly for Vita. I knew those were more popular in Japan but didn't realize they justify/sustain that sort of output. I bet Amnesia is their test of whether they're worth localizing (I'd be surprised, but hey, more and more "unlikely" stuff is localized all the time and I'm fine with that).

Saphirax

Without proper digital numbers (do we even have proper retail numbers) let alone per-price point numbers I don't really think it's fair to assume Neptunia does way better on Steam than elsewhere. The Steam stuff was clearly an experiment and since they haven't added any games to be ported (aside from Rebirth 3 which would have been cruel not to port) I wouldn't assume it's a sure thing. I wouldn't be super surprised to see them come either, but people seem very happy to assume PC wins everything forever even with evidence from only one side of the equation.

Also damn, 12 new otome games from Idea Factory, mostly for Vita. I knew those were more popular in Japan but didn't realize they justify/sustain that sort of output. I bet Amnesia is their test of whether they're worth localizing (I'd be surprised, but hey, more and more "unlikely" stuff is localized all the time and I'm fine with that).

With Amnesia coming to Vita, PC and mobile, I doubt it'll be a failure. The game is on three platforms and it's digital only so the risk isn't as big. I do hope it sells well enough so that we can get more otome games on the Vita.

Well, one of the games announced is a new Norn9, so I guess buy that one for there to be a chance :p

Code:Realize as well!

Ryan95

yeah i know retailers take the same cut, was just pointing out that the 30 percent cut on top of the already low price doesn't really help things

Speaking of which, I saw that it lists a 6th November release date, with Trails of Cold Steel being relased on 17th November. I really hope they are tentative release dates, because if they were true, between SAO, ToCS and P4D, my wallet will not handle all of them.

Top Bottom