• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | August 2015

Saphirax

Speaking of which, I saw that it lists a 6th November release date, with Trails of Cold Steel being relased on 17th November. I really hope they are tentative release dates, because if they were true, between SAO, ToCS and P4D, my wallet will not handle all of them.

Cold Steel's date is a placeholder still.

Speaking of which, I saw that it lists a 6th November release date, with Trails of Cold Steel being relased on 17th November. I really hope they are tentative release dates, because if they were true, between SAO, ToCS and P4D, my wallet will not handle all of them.
SAO is a November release, for EU and NA. Trails is tentative, and may be delayed. P4D is a September release in the US, nor sure about EU. If extras are really important to you you may wanna wait, but seeing how crammed November is (there's also Corpse Party around that time) you may want to import.

Ryan95

SAO is a November release, for EU and NA. Trails is tentative, and may be delayed. P4D is a September release in the US, nor sure about EU. If extras are really important to you you may wanna wait, but seeing how crammed November is (there's also Corpse Party around that time) you may want to import.

Luckily I'm not interested in extras, but I tend to buy the games I want day one and, if three big titles in my personal lineup come out the same month, I'll be forced to postpone at least one of them. Importing in this case would be too expensive and rather useless as I wouldn't get the P4DAN LE anyway.
Let's hope NISA smartily decides the release dates for ToCS and P4D, given that they publish both titles in EU, so that they don't hurt each other.

Shizuka

Apparently IF announced 12 new otome games, most of them coming to Vita and a few with unannounced platforms...

Videos:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...norn-9-brothers-conflict-visual-novels/.91748

We're never going to see any of them, are we? D:

4ef822b9efa498145c70ccff31988d1f.jpg

RK128

same screenshots we've been seeing, just at a higher res now
http://gematsu.com/2015/08/digimon-world-next-order-high-res-screenshots

Game looks great. You can see the aliasing so they're not bullshots like people were thinking from before.

MC's clothes bother me though, the sides from his jacket are just floating even when standing still..

The game looks very impressive :D!

The shading on the character models looks fantastic while the worlds look so colorful and filled with life :).

Hope this comes over after Cyber Sleuth launches :D.

Prelude.

Sony takes pretty much the same cut, that's not a unique factor. And yes it's at a lower price, but the volume they are pushing compared to on the Vita compensates for that quite well. Look at Rebirth 1 selling over 160k, how many games sell that much on the Vita period? A year from now we'll probably look at Steamspy and see FFF near 100k. Give them time, IFI has already put out quite a bit on Steam for only being on it for a year. I suspect you'll see them continue to put more and more titles on the platform.
It's pretty disingenuous to take Rebirth 1 sales as proof that those games will sell that much considering the meme/goat simulator-like/"my favorite streamer played it and it was dank xD" status the game has and how compulsively people buy games on sale at ridiculously low prices on Steam. How many people that bought (and played, more importantly) 1 are willing to buy 2 or even 3? And how many users that bought a Neptunia game will be interested in buying a generic, unknown to the mass, CH game? And all of this is obviously ignoring the fact that we have no idea about physical and digital numbers on the console side while we have pretty much solid numbers for the entirety of the sales on Steam so we're just speculating. Basically, it's a one-hit wonder and it's not representative of what their business could be like in the future.
Also, any source on that 30% that Sony takes? As far as I can tell (and remember) it hovers around 10% but I can't find any confirmation.

It's pretty disingenuous to take Rebirth 1 sales as proof that those games will sell that much considering the meme/goat simulator-like/"my favorite streamer played it and it was dank xD" status the game has and how compulsively people buy games on sale at ridiculously low prices on Steam. How many people that bought (and played, more importantly) 1 are willing to buy 2 or even 3? And how many users that bought a Neptunia game will be interested in buying a generic, unknown to the mass, CH game? .

Rebirth 2 and Fairy Fencer F have both sold well too, so yeah, apparently people are willing to buy more CH games.

Also, any source on that 30% that Sony takes? As far as I can tell (and remember) it hovers around 10% but I can't find any confirmation.
10% is an absurdly low figure that is certainly not accurate.

Prelude.

Rebirth 2 and Fairy Fencer F have both sold well too, so yeah, apparently people are willing to buy more CH games.
We're not talking about "well", but "well enough to justify the cost(s) of porting it/giving it away for a bunch of dollars or to pirates/cutting a small portion of console sales, etc."
Basically, to not consider it an afterthought when sales have completely dried up or try to make a quick buck on bombs.

10% is an absurdly low figure that is certainly not accurate.
That's what I can find on any report on how much they cut from a $60 game. Which is around $7-8.

We're not talking about "well", but "well enough to justify the cost(s) of porting it/giving it away for a bunch of dollars or to pirates/cutting a small portion of console sales, etc."
Basically, to not consider it an afterthought when sales have completely dried up or try to make a quick buck on bombs.

This is a pretty absurd stance to take, and shows a ton of ignorance about how the Steam marketplace operates.

ryseing

That's what I can find on any report on how much they cut from a $60 game. Which is around $7-8.

I think your numbers are referring to licensing fees from physical games. Digital cut is much higher since Sony also takes the retailer cut.

I don't think so, the game looks as rubbish as Just Cause which is like one of the worst games I have ever played.

Nope. Nope. Nope. JC2 is a classic and top 25 game of last gen.

The talk about PC/Steam in here always smells a lot like favoritism and ignorance.

"piracy" (fucking really)
"Steam games sell for next to nothing"

Steam is a very different market that requires low prices for unknown games. That doesn't mean they're trying to make a "quick buck". The port quality is very high and they support the games with all Steam bells and whistles like trading cards and achievements.

We now have three Neptunia games, FFF and Amnesia from them on Steam. The fact that we have no future announcements means nothing, because then you could also go "uhh maybe they won't release any more games in English on the Vita".

Also, guess why XSEED is putting such a big focuse on the PC version of SC?

And some data:
Neptunia 1 is at 163,279 ± 10,040 copies
Neptunia 2 is at 72,011 ± 6,669 copies
Fairy Fencer is at 34,630 ± 4,625 (after only 2 weeks)

that seems pretty successful for late ports. The lowest discount for Nep 1 was around 60% and it was bundled, but in a $10 tier afaik.

Source?
I think your numbers are referring to licensing fees from physical games. Digital cut is much higher since Sony also takes the retailer cut.

Yeah this sounds much more likely.

Prelude.

Why cant people accept that Idea Factory games are selling better on Steam lol..
If you can show me the actual profits on both sides and those prove it, then yes, I will accept it. I'm just saying that you shouldn't assume things with no evidence just because you see a single number on one side of the fence.
Well, all of the IFI published games are physical with the exception of Monster Monpiece. If we're only talking about digital distribution then I have no idea but I don't think that's the biggest chunk of the ps profits.
Also, guess why XSEED is putting such a big focuse on the PC version of SC?
It has probably something to do with the PSP and 2015.
I said I can't find confirmations but here, here, here etc.

Shizuka

Judging from the european price and a comment I read from Vita Reviews, no confirmation other than the previous $40 comment.

Shengar

Those games are selling better on Steam for obvious reasons:

1. Wider and bigger market due to the fact that PC is more popular in developing countries.

2. Regional price offered those games on absolutely low price as opposed to console platform which the price isn't very flexible.

Anime games are very popular in Asia. Consoles aren't very hot here because the games are expensive as fuck.
If you can show me the actual profits on both sides and those prove it, then yes, I will accept it. I'm just saying that you shouldn't assume things with no evidence just because you see a single number on one side of the fence.

I doubt it Rebirth 1 sales on Vita will be close to the astounding number of 160k. Sure the game was sometimes received 50% discount including its launch week, but does the sale number could make up for the number?

Honestly I don't know why we even debating this. More sells for IFI or any small/niche publisher means something good for them. Just because their games sell a lot more on Steam for obvious reasons such as bigger market that doesn't mean they will suddenly stopped releasing game on other platforms. With Japan console market being almost deader than dead, they need every chance to make extra buck. Plus, more people able to play their games is something good in my book.

The talk about PC/Steam in here always smells a lot like favoritism and ignorance.

"piracy" (fucking really)
"Steam games sell for next to nothing"
I can't even fucking comprehend why bringing up piracy while we talking sales on Steam.
And I won't even bother with the second line since Falcom themselves already said it and their games are constantly on sales.

I should mention that IFI games have REALLY good prices over here in the Mexican Steam store, I support them day one even if I don't even play their games.

I hope they keep doing great, Neptunia in 60fps is awesome. (And there's no way they are dropping the Vita anytime soon because Japan anyways)

Phantom Breaker Battle Ground for PS4 was stealth released today in EU. Really weird that they haven't even announced this

https://store.playstation.com/#!/de...rive/cid=EP0745-CUSA02665_00-PBBG0APPLICATION

It's 20.99€ compared to the $14.99 price in the US though. lol

EDIT: Pretty great machine translation as well

'Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds' ist wieder da, und es ist eingeschaltet! Mit neuen Fähigkeiten und Ausrüstung, gibt es noch mehr Spaß zu haben. Kämpfe sind noch visuell beeindruckend, und jeder wird Sie auf dem Rand Ihres Sitzes haben. Plus, jetzt können Sie Co-op mit bis zu drei anderen Spielern, online oder offline! Warum die Welt zu retten allein, wenn Sie es mit Ihren Freunden machen kann?

SerTapTap

Phantom Breaker Battle Ground for PS4 was stealth released today in EU. Really weird that they haven't even announced this

https://store.playstation.com/#!/de...rive/cid=EP0745-CUSA02665_00-PBBG0APPLICATION

EDIT: Pretty great machine translation as well

I'm not too surprised honestly. They must have the tiniest of budgets. The Vita version's english was also (probably) machine translated too at first.

Anyone else pick this up yet? Need people to play with especially since I'm a bit tired of the first playthrough grind by myself. The game is good, the increased trash mob count definitely makes it more fun, though the added visual effects are pretty unnecessary and I'd like a toggle for them. The 3D with pixel art style is already weird enough before you add silly depth of field and crap to the backgrounds

Producer

If you think Rebirth1 on vita sold close to 160k then i don't know what to tell you. Even vita's most popular titles don't sell that much.

Zhao_Yun

Producer

You should read the post again and also realize the difference between a game selling at $40 on Vita and mostly for few dollars on Steam.

Funny how if a game is on sale on steam, automatically all sales are assumed to be made during that period. It has also been on sale on PSN several times, last time for about $6, which is less than it has ever been on sale for on PC.

Either way, the sheer volume is more than enough to make it a profitable venture.

bobohoro

They already fucked up hard on the initial EU-launch back on the Vita, they seem to have learned nothing. :O

reminds me that I wanted to buy the Vita version but didn't because of the ridiculous price difference compared to the US.

Same here, will probably ignore the PS4-version as well. Even though I'd probably enjoy the game, I have more than enough other stuff to play that doesn't manage to piss me off with this kind of dumbassery.

And some of those comments on steam have to be a joke. Right?

Producer

Rev2 Vita videos are starting to come out and man it looks pretty bad:/ Such a shame but its to be expected when SCEA is funding a vita port. I wish we had some good capcom support.

Rev2 Vita videos are starting to come out and man it looks pretty bad:/ Such a shame but its to be expected when SCEA is funding a vita port. I wish we had some good capcom support.

You reckon? I think it looks pretty decent considering it's clearly a cheap-as-they-could make it port. Graphics have taken a hit but still look fine; framerate wasn't as bad as I'd expected. Only thing that really bothered me was the sound.

As far as Vita ports go, I think this is about as good as can be expected at this point. Sony give 0 fucks about quality beyond the original funding of the port (as evidenced by Ratchet: Q Force; Jak Collection; Borderlands 2 etc. etc.)

Getting a playable game looks decent and doesn't run terribly is the best we're going to get. And yes, it's horrible that expectations have dropped this low now, but I'm still willing to pay (reduced) prices for these kinds of ports, just to have them on the go. For this particular game, having raid mode on my Vita will hopefully be worth the price of admission.

You reckon? I think it looks pretty decent considering it's clearly a cheap-as-they-could make it port. Graphics have taken a hit but still look fine; framerate wasn't as bad as I'd expected. Only thing that really bothered me was the sound.

As far as Vita ports go, I think this is about as good as can be expected at this point. Sony give 0 fucks about quality beyond the original funding of the port (as evidenced by Ratchet: Q Force; Jak Collection; Borderlands 2 etc. etc.)

Getting a playable game looks decent and doesn't run terribly is the best we're going to get. And yes, it's horrible that expectations have dropped this low now, but I'm still willing to pay (reduced) prices for these kinds of ports, just to have them on the go. For this particular game, having raid mode on my Vita will hopefully be worth the price of admission.
I don't know. I don't want Vita ports just because. If you can't make it good don't bother since I'll just play it somewhere else. Seems like a waste to me

I don't know. I don't want Vita ports just because. If you can't make it good don't bother since I'll just play it somewhere else. Seems like a waste to me

I understand that, but you're kinda ignoring my final paragraph. Playing somewhere else is fine and all if the "somewhere else" is another portable. But with 99% of the stuff that gets scrutinized like this, the "somewhere else" is a home console.

There are games I'd rather play on a home console and wouldn't want on a portable regardless, and for those it's not worth it. But there are games I'd like to play on the go too, even with concessions. Since I travel round enough to make using a portable worthwhile, I like having the option of a port like this.

RK128

So Revelations 2 is a shoddy port...what a shame :(.

The original Revelations on the 3DS was quite the looker, so the sequel landing on the more powerful handheld looking sub-par next to the PS3/360 version is a bit sad :(.

If the price is good latter on (15-20 bucks) will gladly check it out though :D.

On to another topic, its ironic that my backlog is so large, yet I'm back playing a game I played already XD! Rayman 2 (PS1 version) plays great on the Vita and I'm close to the end of it (have a few more levels left).

The score of Rayman 2 is fantastic, the game feels great to play and the visuals look nice considering the PS1 is the 'worst' version; nice going back to this game :).

And after re-downloading Rayman Origins, I will try to give that another go as well :D.

VLiberty

Volume delayed just before the release date hit.
Same thing happened with Axiom Verge and Bastion and after 6 or so months they're still M.I.A.

eh

Like other studios that SCEA has discarded, Sanzaru is working on stuff for Oculus.

That's sad to hear...

I understand that, but you're kinda ignoring my final paragraph. Playing somewhere else is fine and all if the "somewhere else" is another portable. But with 99% of the stuff that gets scrutinized like this, the "somewhere else" is a home console.

There are games I'd rather play on a home console and wouldn't want on a portable regardless, and for those it's not worth it. But there are games I'd like to play on the go too, even with concessions. Since I travel round enough to make using a portable worthwhile, I like having the option of a port like this.
I think there are enough native Vita games and I'm also one of those weird people that never plays his portables outside, but I understand what you mean. If there are enough people that are happy with the ports, keep em coming!

Producer

So Revelations 2 is a shoddy port...what a shame :(.

The original Revelations on the 3DS was quite the looker, so the sequel landing on the more powerful handheld looking sub-par next to the PS3/360 version is a bit sad :(.

If the price is good latter on (15-20 bucks) will gladly check it out though :D.

Yeah but also consider that Rev1 was made with the 3DS in mind, and was developed by Capcom too.

Thats not to say Rev2 on Vita couldnt have been good, it was made with MT Framework and games like UMvC3 vita run great. Its all a matter of devs and money. If Capcom themselves or a competent developer had made the vita port, it would have been so much better.

RK128

Same thing happened with Axiom Verge and Bastion and after 6 or so months they're still M.I.A.

eh

That's sad to hear...

The Vita version of Volume is in the same spot as Axiom Verge and Bastion? That is a shame :(.

Held off on buying both Axiom Verge and Bastion due to no Vita version, with my expectation that by October this year we will get the Vita versions of those games (more then enough time to get the Vita port ready, considering both of those games came out early this year).

Regarding Indie games and their Vita ports, I get excited when the Vita ports come out, rather then looking forward to a Vita announcement (Shovel Knight was the only exception here, though that could due to owning a 2DS by the game the PS versions got announced, leading me to thinking "I could just get this for my 2DS in the future if the Vita version never comes").

Volume looks to be a very 3D-centric game, so I could see why it isn't coming to Vita same-date as the PS4 version (they need time to get the Vita version polished up first) but still, same can be said for Axiom Verge as well (as the developer stated that the games engine isn't naively compatible with the Vita) and we got no results from his statement (he said Sony needed to help him for the Vita version).

Yeah but also consider that Rev1 was made with the 3DS in mind, and was developed by Capcom too.

Thats not to say Rev2 on Vita couldnt have been good, it was made with MT Framework and games like UMvC3 vita run great. Its all a matter of devs and money. If Capcom themselves or a competent developer had made the vita port, it would have been so much better.

Very good point, as Capcom made the Vita sing with UMvC3. If the load times were a bit shorter and the backgrounds had more animation, I would call it a 1-to-1 port of the PS3 version (very, very impressive, considering how many effects are happening on screen and the detail on the characters to boot).

I agree, if Capcom made the port, the game would closer match the PS3/360 versions easily, but they didn't sadly :l.

At least the port reportedly runs well enough, so it should mirror something like the Ratchet Collection on Vita; something running/looking not as great as it should be but due to it being playable, the games strengths can easily shine through :). And I beat all three Ratchet games on Vita with little issue outside of one or two crashes (and this is a person who played Ratchet 3 god knows how many times XD; I should know how the game should feel like :')).

VLiberty

Wish it was the same for me, there's always some indies that I hope to see on Vita. The amazing thing is that they actually get announced - Joe Danger, SMB, Shovel Knight, Stealth inc 2, Scram Kitty, Geomtry Wars 3 etc...

I think the few older indie games I wanted on Vita that didn't happen are Braid and a Trials game.(any console Trials would be great as I never played one). And the first Tales from Space.
Lately I've been building an indie wishlist, Antichamber is on top, then Freedom Planet. The Fall, The Next Penelope and N++ also are among my desired games. I'm not optimistic about those though, apart from Freedom Planet (pls pls pls)

But all in all I'm more than happy with what I got, Vita has an incredible line up of indie games. And I couldn't believe it when Super Meat Boy and Geometry Wars 3 were announced.

quabba

I thought I read that the engine Bastion and Axiom Verge use hadn't been fully ported to vita so the devs hands are tied until that happens.

Can't remember the name of it, was probably somewhere in the Axiom Verge ot

RK128

Wish it was the same for me, there's always some indies that I hope to see on Vita. The amazing thing is that they actually get announced - Joe Danger, SMB, Shovel Knight, Stealth inc 2, Scram Kitty, Geomtry Wars 3 etc...

I think the few older indie games I wanted on Vita that didn't happen are Braid and a Trials game.(any console Trials would be great as I never played one). And the first Tales from Space.
Lately I've been building an indie wishlist, Antichamber is on top, then Freedom Planet. The Fall, The Next Penelope and N++ also are among my desired games. I'm not optimistic about those though, apart from Freedom Planet (pls pls pls)

But all in all I'm more than happy with what I got, Vita has an incredible line up of indie games. And I couldn't believe it when Super Meat Boy and Geometry Wars 3 were announced.

Guess it helps that I'm happy with just about any game at this point, so I have no problem waiting for something to come :). The Vita really opened the doors to me for a lot of games and I really am happy with the stuff I own :D.

Freedom Planet and N++ are also on my list of 'Must-Wants' for the Vita, but the former I own on my laptop (and it plays great with my Modern Warfare 3 PS3 controller :D) and the latter I have no issue waiting for.

Personally want Axiom Verge and Bastion on Vita as well (same with other PS4 indie's like Dust) but I will be getting a PS4 this fall....so stuff that isn't on Vita, I could play on that.

After all, the PS4 IS the best PS Vita accessory thanks to Remote Play XD!

I thought I read that the engine Bastion and Axiom Verge use hadn't been fully ported to vita so the devs hands are tied until that happens.

Can't remember the name of it, was probably somewhere in the Axiom Verge ot

I will search for the name of that now....and its called MonoGame.

I'm sure once Sony gets around to porting the engine to the Vita, other Indie games that use it will land on Vita with little issue. The thing is we have to wait :l.

Takao

Banned
Nicalis lives: VVVVVV and Legend of Raven were shown off during a Sony stream last week, and Grinsia's trophies have just popped up.

how many bugs and performance issues will these ports ship with

now they must announce a cave story vita port for release in 2019

Big difference between Volume and those two is that Volume's Vita port is done:

Unfortunately, we unexpectedly had to make the decision to hold off on the Vita version for a couple weeks to get it where we want it. It’s so very nearly ready, but it needs a little more love. A few personal problems and issues have slowed down our submittal, so even though the game is “done” on Vita, we still have some QA process to go through (because that stuff matters).
http://www.volumegame.net/blog/2015...ving-a-little-late-crossbuy-remains-in-effect

On the flip side, AV and Bastion launched on PS4 before their Vita versions seemingly began development due to MonoGame.

Shizuka

Grinsia was hinted when Nicalis shared a Vita screen years ago with a Grinsia bubble, guess it's happening after all. Still, VVVVVV got a trophy list years ago as well and nothing yet.

RK128

Nicalis lives: VVVVVV and Legend of Raven were shown off during a Sony stream last week, and Grinsia's trophies have just popped up.

how many bugs and performance issues will these ports ship with

now they must announce a cave story vita port for release in 2019

Big difference between Volume and those two is that Volume's Vita port is done

That's good to hear :D! Hope this means that the four games will be releasing this fall now :).

Grinsia was hinted when Nicalis shared a Vita screen years ago with a Grinsia bubble, guess it's happening after all. Still, VVVVVV got a trophy list years ago as well and nothing yet.

VVVVVV's trophy list has been up for years and it still hasn't released :l? ....I guess I meant THREE games are hopefully coming this fall instead of four games then.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Top Bottom