• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | August 2015

incpdo

For those looking good footage of how Resident Evil Revelations 2 looks on Vita here is some : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba6kj_Dnyiw (its in spanish) seems like the other videos dont show pretty good how it looks. The game has a downgrade in graphics but seems it plays quite good and it looks very good for a vita game. I have only one complain. The blood.

RK128

So I wonder what Third Party Production port could come to Vita next (if any, of course).

Borderlands 2 happened pretty much happened because Randy Pitchford kept hinting at it to Sony. Resident Evil I have no idea about, but it does make a fair bit of sense (IP that has strong ties to PlayStation; not the most graphically demanding game etc.)

And both plug gaps in genres that are otherwise a bit sparse on Vita (FPS, also open-world; TPS, and also horror).

I wonder what else could come, if 3PP are still in the business of doing these cheap ports. They could be behind XCOM & Civilization I suppose, but I'm pretty sure those were rated with 2K as the publisher and Sony have published all the 3PP games themselves.

There's nothing on the horizon that seems to be a great fit to me. We're getting fewer cross-gen titles and I feel porting anything other than a PS3 game is going to be too much work (Borderlands already was). The only game that fits the bill that I can think of is... well... Tony Hawk's 5. It doesn't look graphically demanding; has a PS3 version and would fill a genre gap (extreme sports). I hope it isn't, though.

(Edit: Another one that popped in my head was Diablo 3. Now that I would like. Loot grinding on the go).

So I kinda hope they go backwards and port something from a few years ago. A Fallout; Saints Row or Demon's Souls or something (though, I don't think any of those would run anything like acceptably on Vita). Maybe it'd be easier to work with partners they've dealt with before, so Dragon's Dogma or Borderlands Pre-Sequel or something.

My dream port would be SSX (2012) on Vita, like there were rumors about many moons ago. Man, that game would be perfect on a handheld.

Anyway, this is all probably all speculation for nothing since I'd imagine it's more than likely Sony will have packed it in completely for Vita soon. But I hope not (it's not like 3PP have lots of porting to do to PS4 since it gets pretty much every game anyway!) I like having the odd non-LEGO western game to play in between all the Japanese stuff and indies that I play.

I think the third party productions team will after finishing post-launch support for RE:Revelations 2 Vita and Yakuza 5, will shift gears into getting those long rumored 2K Games ports (Civilization and XCom) alongside maybe the iOS version of Bioshock.

I could also see them getting a JP game that many want to see localized....I could honestly see Sony being the push Bamco needs to get the God Eater games to get localized in the west (because localizing one version (Vita) will help bring over the one Sony really wants (PS4)).

I guess a much older game is possible....could see a number of Rayman games (Rayman 2: Revolution and Rayman 3) make there way to the Vita, as while the Vita can play Rayman 1-2 PS1 and Origins-Legends, it cannot play Rayman 2 Revolution (the expanded port of the Dreamcast version) nor Rayman 3 HD (only came to PSN early 2012). Ubi could easily do it themselves (as they ported Rayman 2 to everything XD) and even bring other games to to Vita (AC: Chronicles, Vilant Hearts: The Great War) too.

Don't expect anything going forward, as expecting anything out of Sony with Vita support only leads to disappointment :l.

RK128

So Medal of Honor Heroes 2 is 3.99 right now because there is some ea sale. To buy or not to buy.Idk.

That is an interesting game, as if the PSP version is based on the Wii one, its both a light-gun game (though it would make since if that portion of the game was cut for the PSP version) and standard FPS.

With the right-stick support in PSP games, it might be a good time, as you could map the face-buttons to the right stick for aiming (making things a lot better then they were on PSP).

I think i'm ready to upgrade the hard drive in my PS4.

I don't think 1TB is even really worth the price though.. I want to do 2TB but it seems like i'm going well over $100 for a good reliable drive, and not one of those "pull it out of an enclosure" type situations where it seems like the drives might fail sooner.

Any recommendations? What are people using here?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I think i'm ready to upgrade the hard drive in my PS4.

I don't think 1TB is even really worth the price though.. I want to do 2TB but it seems like i'm going well over $100 for a good reliable drive, and not one of those "pull it out of an enclosure" type situations where it seems like the drives might fail sooner.

Any recommendations? What are people using here?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=716288

It would control like shit. Souls games need all 4 shoulder buttons, not to mention R3.

It's difficult but not shit (maybe just a fart that lied). I have been Remote Playing Bloodbourne on my Vita. I did ML, Ebrietas and the finale fight on PS4 but did One Reborn, Mergo and Micolash via Remote Play. I have gotten up to Defiled Watchdog in the Chalice on Vita (but that was after going into NG+ so I was over leveled for a lot of it).

The button layout is not as smooth as Destiny but manageable once you get used to it.

autoduelist

They'd come up for something for the control scheme. I'd buy the living daylights out of a vita souls game, especially the [never going to happen] Bloodborne spinoff.

A LE edition vita with a bloodborne theme [exterior] and BB vita included would save the vita! Ok, maybe not. Doesn't need saving anyway, i love it.

And damn it, now I need to consider that Medal of Honor game in addition to the clancy PSP games. Still hoping for feedback on those.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've been hot and bothered about getting Diablo 1 or 2 on a portable since the DS released. Monolith Soft's Soma Bringer only increased the urge. I'd prefer 3DS at this point because of the interface but I'd gladly play either on a Vita. Especially 1 which doesn't need as many buttons.

UberTag

Its the last game in the PSP series and while it seems to be a Comedy/Horror spinoff, it does look to introduce characters/references that'll carry over to Blood Drive this october. Essential reading?
It's not as essential as the prologue chapter at the end of Book of Shadows is.

You'll get introduced to Satsuki and some others but Hysteric Birthday 2U is relatively frivolous.
There's one canon element to it that comes into play in Blood Drive but you'll never know it's there unless you're looking for it.
So hardly what I'd call essential. But still an entertaining distraction if you love this universe and its characters.

Ryan95

Yesterday I went to my local Gamestop to buy a €30 PSN card and get RERev2 for PS Vita. However something stopped me from doing that: Rayman Legends and Tearaway physical versions at around €15. I suppose RERev2 has to wait.

I've played a little of each of the two titles, and I must say: you can feel from the very beginning Rayman Legends is Origins sequel, because they've kept almost every sound from the first game and, excluding touch-only levels (which I found pretty funny,although a little frustrating at times if you want to achieve %100), the overall gameplay formula.
This doesn't bother me, as the gamplay of first game was very good and, if something works, it's better to keep it.

As regards Tearaway, I have one big regret: i wish I had bought it day one, as I feel a little guilty for its lack of success, but back to the time it came out, i still had to finish a lot of games and many more were coming out,so I skipped it.
It's a "fresh", funny and colourful game expoliting Vita's features very well. At the moment I've beaten the first two levels at %100, but I think it's pretty stupid that some collectibles from the first levels must be taken after
you get the camera from the squirrel king
and compels you to come back orrestart the level.

Yesterday I went to my local Gamestop to buy a €30 PSN card and get RERev2 for PS Vita. However something stopped me from doing that: Rayman Legends and Tearaway physical versions at around €15. I suppose RERev2 has to wait.

I've played a little of each of the two titles, and I must say: you can feel from the very beginning Rayman Legends is Origins sequel, because they've kept almost every sound from the first game and, excluding touch-only levels (which I found pretty funny,although a little frustrating at times if you want to achieve %100), the overall gameplay formula.
This doesn't bother me, as the gamplay of first game was very good and, if something works, it's better to keep it.
I started Rayman Legends yesterday as well
on PS4 though
and while it does use mechanics from Origins it feels polished to an insanely high degree and packed with content. Really surprised how much I enjoyed what I played so far.

EDIT: Found a video of the DOA PS4 theme, I'm assuming the Vita ones will be similar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWSeK_U99-A

I kind of like the sound of waves in the background

incpdo

Ok bought resident evil revelations 2.Some things to consider: The update is 900 mb and the game is like 2900 mb big. Didn't check what is the total size yet as the update is downloading right now.
It really surprises me for some reason on YouTube the game seems to have less fps than it really has. It actually runs pretty good and much better than for example borderlands 2.
Recommendation: the brightness plays an important part for this game. If you have the vita's brightness at the maximum the game doesn't look so go good but if you lower the brightness it actually looks pretty cool. Some effects are gone but the game still looks good enough. It's incredible to say this because I watched like 3 gameplays before buying it. For some reason the gameplays recorded with the capture card looks really bad. But the game on the actual console runs pretty fast ( around 25 to 30 fps) in a stable way( at least for now) this are my impressions before the patch. I'm gonna see after patch what happens because I understand it fixed some aesthetics details.
Fps are way better than for example borderlands 2 on vita and metal gear solid 3d. So its really playable . the only real complain for me is the size and the blood that doesn't look so good unless you low down the brightness .

Ryan95

Ok bought resident evil revelations 2.Some things to consider: The update is 900 mb and the game is like 2900 mb big. Didn't check what is the total size yet as the update is downloading right now.
It really surprises me for some reason on YouTube the game seems to have less fps than it really has. It actually runs pretty good and much better than for example borderlands 2.
Recommendation: the brightness plays an important part for this game. If you have the vita's brightness at the maximum the game doesn't look so go good but if you lower the brightness it actually looks pretty cool. Some effects are gone but the game still looks good enough. It's incredible to say this because I watched like 3 gameplays before buying it. For some reason the gameplays recorded with the capture card looks really bad. But the game on the actual console runs pretty fast ( around 25 to 30 fps) in a stable way( at least for now) this are my impressions before the patch. I'm gonna see after patch what happens because I understand it fixed some aesthetics details.
Fps are way better than for example borderlands 2 on vita and metal gear solid 3d. So its really playable . the only real complain for me is the size and the blood that doesn't look so good unless you low down the brightness .

Are you playing on a PS Vita 1000? I'm curious to see how it is one the OLED screen

VLiberty

From the DiDuro's post about Freedom Planet delay on Wii U
If any of our new Wii U fans are interested in playing the PC/Mac/Linux version to tide them over, we'll keep you updated on any sales or bundles we may be involved with in the future. We also have several extra announcements coming later this month including for our planned character DLC, so stay tuned.

crossing my fingerz...

maouvin

Curses & Chaos is tough, still didn't make it past the first boss as I can't air attack effectively yet.
Fun little game, though, reminds me of Slayin for iOS.

A lot of people capturing Vita content (and other content for that matter) have no idea how to do so properly, or how to encode said video after editing. It often comes out looking like it has more issues than it actually does.

Dude... Demon's Souls Vita.

I just want a Souls games on Vita, a Bloodborne spinoff would be perfect for Vita too.

I deliberately left that one off, haha. I've thought it in the past too, especially since Demon's runs on Phyreengine (which has had loads of stuff ported to Vita). But it's not a third-party game, and like other people have said, inputs would be a problem.

Still, I'd buy it if it happened.

I think the third party productions team will after finishing post-launch support for RE:Revelations 2 Vita and Yakuza 5, will shift gears into getting those long rumored 2K Games ports (Civilization and XCom) alongside maybe the iOS version of Bioshock.

I really hope 2K have handled the Vita versions of XCOM & Civ themselves. They're listed as publisher, and they've ported XCOM everywhere else under the sun internally, so I don't really see why 3PP need to get involved. As ports go, though, I'd still be very happy with those.

Except Bioshock. While the game is great and all and would be a novelty to have on Vita, I don't think it'd be a very good fit. One of the Vita games currently on the platform I think fits least is Uncharted - it's mainly story and scripted pieces, there isn't a whole lot of replayability and Uncharted relies on spectacle which is difficult to convey on a handheld. Bioshock is similarly story-based and lacking replayability, and that series relies on atmosphere, which I feel again would be lost on a handheld.

Ubi could easily do it themselves (as they ported Rayman 2 to everything XD) and even bring other games to to Vita (AC: Chronicles, Vilant Hearts: The Great War) too.

I don't think Ubi need 3PP to jump in either, since it seems we're getting AC: Chronicles judging by all the retailer listings!

Diablo 3 would be great (even if the non-PC versions are starting to feel a little content poor). I think as well as looking at PS3 -> VITA transitions there might also be some mileage in the idea of "High end tablet games" -> VITA. I'd love to see something like the (supposedly) upcoming Twilight Struggle tablet version make its way to VITA

Premium Tablet/Phone games are an interesting one. I don't know a whole lot about that market really, but I certainly wouldn't say no to some higher end stuff with decent production values. I also thought the mobile versions of home console franchises (like Deus Ex: The Fall) would work fairly well.

VLiberty

I'm not interested in xcom or civ but if they get Max Payne 1 and Bioshock 1 on there I'd buy those quickly.

And while I'm not interested, a GTA trilogy port is a no brainer.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
So I wonder what Third Party Production port could come to Vita next (if any, of course).

Borderlands 2 happened pretty much happened because Randy Pitchford kept hinting at it to Sony. Resident Evil I have no idea about, but it does make a fair bit of sense (IP that has strong ties to PlayStation; not the most graphically demanding game etc.)

And both plug gaps in genres that are otherwise a bit sparse on Vita (FPS, also open-world; TPS, and also horror).

I wonder what else could come, if 3PP are still in the business of doing these cheap ports. They could be behind XCOM & Civilization I suppose, but I'm pretty sure those were rated with 2K as the publisher and Sony have published all the 3PP games themselves.

There's nothing on the horizon that seems to be a great fit to me. We're getting fewer cross-gen titles and I feel porting anything other than a PS3 game is going to be too much work (Borderlands already was). The only game that fits the bill that I can think of is... well... Tony Hawk's 5. It doesn't look graphically demanding; has a PS3 version and would fill a genre gap (extreme sports). I hope it isn't, though.

(Edit: Another one that popped in my head was Diablo 3. Now that I would like. Loot grinding on the go).

So I kinda hope they go backwards and port something from a few years ago. A Fallout; Saints Row or Demon's Souls or something (though, I don't think any of those would run anything like acceptably on Vita). Maybe it'd be easier to work with partners they've dealt with before, so Dragon's Dogma or Borderlands Pre-Sequel or something.

My dream port would be SSX (2012) on Vita, like there were rumors about many moons ago. Man, that game would be perfect on a handheld.

Anyway, this is all probably all speculation for nothing since I'd imagine it's more than likely Sony will have packed it in completely for Vita soon. But I hope not (it's not like 3PP have lots of porting to do to PS4 since it gets pretty much every game anyway!) I like having the odd non-LEGO western game to play in between all the Japanese stuff and indies that I play.
Do you really want another shitty port? :\
Hiring the original game developers asking for a certain level of quality should be how to plan a port, instead sony orders to a mediocre developer(or with low budget) to make the port of a game it doesn't know anything about(development-wise) asking for the port to just run, it's not surprising that results are bad.

I still want to believe in xcom(and eventual other good games we still don't know about) though.

Dude... Demon's Souls Vita.

I just want a Souls games on Vita, a Bloodborne spinoff would be perfect for Vita too.

A spinoff is a new game, it would need too much effort, sony doesn't even make any effort to make decent ports...

Staal

XCom would be a fantastic addition. For Civ I would like to see a port if a PC version, not of the mobile versions.

Do you really want another shitty port? :\

Well... yeah. I haven't played Resident Evil yet so I'm unaware of the quality of that one, the most recent Raid Mode footage I saw seemed fine though.

I'm not under any allusions that the Vita version are going to be anywhere close to the home console versions. I like the novelty of having this kind of stuff on the go with me. As long as they're playable, that's fine by me. Borderlands was borderline (baddum chh), Resi seems better.

I'd definitely take more of this stuff.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well... yeah. I haven't played Resident Evil yet so I'm unaware of the quality of that one, the most recent Raid Mode footage I saw seemed fine though.

I'm not under any allusions that the Vita version are going to be anywhere close to the home console versions. I like the novelty of having this kind of stuff on the go with me. As long as they're playable, that's fine by me. Borderlands was borderline (baddum chh), Resi seems better.

I'd definitely take more of this stuff.

Resident evil wasn't made by the usual sony developer, it was made by an indie developer.

Saphirax

Seems like Digimon World: Next Order is going to have a playable female protagonist just like Cyber Sleuth. If you choose her, you'll get Biyomon and Palmon instead of Agumon and Gabumon.

Ohnonono

TPP would be better off either focusing on one game and getting a good developer the right resources to do it correctly, or focus on bringing us localized games that we would not get otherwise. I am sure there are some barriers to that but they are a huge company. Would be great to get some of the Gundam games and other stuff that never comes over here.

PW2 is a good example of a game that it seemed like would have been very easy to enable to come over. PW3 is coming out now but at the time I really wanted to play PW2, it was localized for other platforms and it still didn't come over. Crazy stuff.

Ohnonono

A lot of people capturing Vita content (and other content for that matter) have no idea how to do so properly, or how to encode said video after editing. It often comes out looking like it has more issues than it actually does.

I was wondering about this when I was playing last night. The game just does not play as bad as those videos look. It is not perfect but it is totally not as bad as those videos.

Tizoc

Seems like Digimon World: Next Order is going to have a playable female protagonist just like Cyber Sleuth. If you choose her, you'll get Biyomon and Palmon instead of Agumon and Gabumon.

Am I incorrectly seeing this as being sexist?

Europe is getting two new Vita bundles.
Yeah really

20514681659_51913fc1d6_b.jpg
20708424661_ff220b44f3_b.jpg

wut

Saphirax

Female character starts with girl-themed digimon, and can't start with the other starter Digimon, is how I'm interpeting it.

That seems to be really common in Japan(Another example - the female protagonist in Summon Night 6 has a pink companion). But, hey at least we get the choice to play as a female!

SerTapTap

It's automatic, isn't it? Also, I've been following the trophy list on Exophase and there isn't a single player so far.

When I asked they said they said I'd need to ask to get codes. May be because I'm a youtuber and not IGN (but if IGN didn't review N++ I don't see them reviewing Amnesia...)

Japan is...different, in regards to sexism. It's weird because there's some more over "girls be girly/physically weak" stuff but it also feels like there are way more japanese games that let you play as a girl at all. Wish it weren't like that at all but I'll happily take the option to have a female character to the alternative.

Europe is getting two new Vita bundles.
Yeah really

Meanwhile in America you pay $200 and don't get a memory card or game or anything. Honestly consoles should probably always come bundled at this point especially post-launch. Fortunately there's still Borderlands 2 stock that goes on sale sometimes.

I don't see a problem with games having girly girls. Never have, never will. In a perfect world you would be freely customize your character but that obviously isn't possible.

A single character being characterized as more "girly" isn't sexism. Sexism is systematic. Yes, Japan has problems with that in some respects (but is better than the west in others), but calling out a Digimon protagonist for having a bird and a plant as mons instead of a dinosaur and a.. uh.. whatever Gabumon is supposed to be is going quite a bit too far. Japan makes great female characters that aren't appreciated enough in discussions like this.

Even if this was a problem the solution wouldn't be to change the Digimon protagonist, but to request more games that feature other characters instead.

I would say it isn't sexist at all because with that argument you could really takes things far, if we are to go under the same line of thinking. "Why does this girl in this game wear a skirt? Aren't women allowed to wear pants?!". You get what I mean? I don't think having a female protagonist with female looking characters means sexism, it just means that this particular character was created with this idea in mind. Maybe she is girly? Who knows. The creative vision was that her digimon were those two. On a different note it's the same argument as people that say that every woman in every game should be strong and independent, and this is a completely different topic I guess but I'll touch on that too. I'd be all for that, I love me some strong women, but why force concepts when your creative vision is totally different? Hope you understand my point, since I get where some of you are coming from, but I don't think it is as bad as you say it is.

SerTapTap

Don't really mind the clothes at all, but getting forced into a specific Digimon (with gameplay repercussions) because they're the "girly" ones is kinda lame. Just let people pick. If boys got to pick from Charmander, Bulbasaur and Squirtle while girls got to pick from Pikachu, swirlix and jigglypuff that'd be pretty lame too.

RK128

I can confirm that the new COD is super fun.

You played the Black Ops 3 beta :D? Glad to hear its fun, Tryarck always makes great COD games (even though I didn't like Black Ops, appreciated the good things it did :)) so them doing great work with Black Ops 3 isn't a shocker in the slightest :D.

Top Bottom