• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | August 2015

You played the Black Ops 3 beta :D? Glad to hear its fun, Tryarck always makes great COD games (even though I didn't like Black Ops, appreciated the good things it did :)) so them doing great work with Black Ops 3 isn't a shocker in the slightest :D.
Black Ops 1 was probably one of my most played games on the PS3. BO2 was okay but I didn't enjoy it as much. Ghosts was a disaster. AW brought some interesting things to the table with the exosuit, but ultimately it didn't feel as fluid as it should have. BO3 picks up IWs ideas from the exosuit and made a game that is as fluid as you want it to be. Infinite Sprint without special perks, running and reloading without perks too, running on walls without killing suit stamina, controlled air jumps, fast gliding, and all these things you can do while running, aiming and shooting. It is just super fast, and super smooth. Definitely a major improvement over AW in which using the suit didn't let you shoot.

TOTP: get yourself in the beta by pre-ordering the game
and cancelling if you don't want to commit to the purchase

RK128

Black Ops 1 was probably one of my most played games on the PS3. BO2 was okay but I didn't enjoy it as much. Ghosts was a disaster. AW brought some interesting things to the table with the exosuit, but ultimately it didn't feel as fluid as it should have. BO3 picks up IWs ideas from the exosuit and made a game that is as fluid as you want it to be. Infinite Sprint without special perks, running and reloading without perks too, running on walls without killing suit stamina, controlled air jumps, fast gliding, and all these things you can do while running, aiming and shooting. It is just super fast, and super smooth. Definitely a major improvement over AW in which using the suit didn't let you shoot.

They always take what IW does and perfects it with their COD games and considering they have been working on this one for quite a while (they made the Wii U port of Ghosts and nothing else I think....), this should be one of there strongest COD games :).

If the MP is fun enough, I might consider getting Black Ops 3 whenever I get a PS4 this fall :D.

ZeroAKA

Seems like Digimon World: Next Order is going to have a playable female protagonist just like Cyber Sleuth. If you choose her, you'll get Biyomon and Palmon instead of Agumon and Gabumon.
Agumon mega + Gabumon mega = Omnimon, Biyomon mega + Palmon mega = ???

It has to happen.

RK128

Found this in the 350+ Vita games thread:

The Sun and Moon - Steam Page

OBiqcfcm.jpg

Paranautical Activity - Steam Page

kRQ5O02m.jpg

Three Fourths Home: Extended Edition - Steam Page

PV95ZM9m.jpg

All coming to NA first, then EU

They look like really fun games and I can't wait to play some of them on my Vita in the future :D.

Really love how Sun & Moon looks; platformer where you dive into the ground to make higher jumps is a really inventive concept (sorta like how Sonic had the drill wisp in Colors but that ability greatly expanding into a more fleshed-out concept).

Just bought Curses n Chaos and it won't download. It starts and then almost immediately I get an error that says it 'cannot download'.

Just an update here. It must have been something going on with PSN, because I tried again when I got home last night and it downloaded no problem.

RK128

man, IFI is all out of games, hope they announce another batch soon

I made a few posts about that, but to sum it up, I have a feeling that they are starting localization on more Hyperdimension games since the release of Victory II/Rebirth 3 and they are doing it in bulk (Victory II, Blanc Spin-Off, Sega Hard Girls vs. Neptuina).

Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about ports of Victory II and Omega Quartent (with both fixing whatever issues the PS4 versions have) to the Vita sometime in the future (though I strongly feel that Omega Quartent's Vita port will be a fall game/early 2016 game for JP).

They also have a few games coming out in JP/Came out in JP last year:
-Chronostacia (PSP)
-Norn9 Last Era (PSP)
-Enkeltbillet (PSP)
-Root Rexx (TBA)
-Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force (PS4)
-Mei no Chika ni Shisu (PS Vita)
-Moe Crystal (PS Vita)
-Makai Shin Trillion (PS Vita)

Chances of all of these being localized? Not a chance :(. But a few of them coming over? I could easily see a few of their PS4 and Vita games get localized honestly :).

SerTapTap

We don't even have Victory 2 localized, I'd wait a bit before proclaiming Victory 2's Vita release. Fairy Fencer F 2 and Makai Shin Trillion seem like locks though.Victory 2 is obviously coming and I'm not sure why they're so hesitant to state a date. Kinda hope they don't wait for all DLC since it's STILL not all out and the non-joke characters seem to be taking forever.

The otome games are a big question mark, probably a definite no if Amnesia doesn't do "well", whatever their expectations are.

RK128

We don't even have Victory 2 localized, I'd wait a bit before proclaiming Victory 2's Vita release. Fairy Fencer F 2 and Makai Shin Trillion seem like locks though.Victory 2 is obviously coming and I'm not sure why they're so hesitant to state a date. Kinda hope they don't wait for all DLC since it's STILL not all out and the non-joke characters seem to be taking forever.

The otome games are a big question mark, probably a definite no if Amnesia doesn't do "well", whatever their expectations are.

Good point TapTap; the PS4 version should do well for them in the west and they can get more money out of the title regarding a Vita port. Still think that is happening (the series has done very well for them on the platform so far and the other spin-off games are Vita-exclusive).

Regarding Victory II's localization.....I think they started on that already since it came out in JP but they are also doing localization for the other Vita spin-off games too; they are very busy with the localization for everything, leading to the release dates for those titles all being next year (I think at least) for US/EU (the Vita spin-offs are almost currently 2016 games for JP too).

I don't think the DLC characters are holding things up (as they could just release those in the west 1-3 months after launch) but who knows.

autoduelist

Well... yeah. I haven't played Resident Evil yet so I'm unaware of the quality of that one, the most recent Raid Mode footage I saw seemed fine though.

I'm not under any allusions that the Vita version are going to be anywhere close to the home console versions. I like the novelty of having this kind of stuff on the go with me. As long as they're playable, that's fine by me. Borderlands was borderline (baddum chh), Resi seems better.

I'd definitely take more of this stuff.

Same here. Besides, it makes some amount of sense that vita ports would be handled by 'newer' companies that are being brought into the Sony fold -- learning the policies, business, etc. And yes, that will sometimes result in less than stellar ports, though it's also important to remember that porting to a less powerful handheld will always result in issues some consider 'major'.

Don't really mind the clothes at all, but getting forced into a specific Digimon (with gameplay repercussions) because they're the "girly" ones is kinda lame. Just let people pick. If boys got to pick from Charmander, Bulbasaur and Squirtle while girls got to pick from Pikachu, swirlix and jigglypuff that'd be pretty lame too.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If you make it fully customizable, then really it's just another 'skin'. That is, there's no actual difference in characters, just different art.

If you try to differentiate your characters, your female will either end up as girly girl or tomboy, based on your decisions. I don't see the point in trying to make both genders present as so generic as to be unidentifiable.

Not really worth reading into imo. For all i know those 2 digimons were chosen based on actual survey results or something. Assuming 'sexism' doesn't really make sense to me... Girls and boys are different. That those differences extend to preferences isn't surprising nor something that should be shamed when people point out.

I want to pick up a new game on the PSN but I'm having trouble deciding between 3 very different games. What do you guys think between Toy Soldiers, Adventures of Pip and Zombi?? (Open to other suggestions too if anybody is reeling to talk about something not getting enough love)

Vylash

I want to pick up a new game on the PSN but I'm having trouble deciding between 3 very different games. What do you guys think between Toy Soldiers, Adventures of Pip and Zombi?? (Open to other suggestions too if anybody is reeling to talk about something not getting enough love)

how much are you looking to spend? i suggest Okami HD, Journey, or Rain

incpdo

Are you playing on a PS Vita 1000? I'm curious to see how it is one the OLED screen
Good thing : Looks great and with the 900mbI have the impression it runs even better.

Bad thing : I'm going to be nitpicking here it is a very pretty game but for some reason they gave certain blood a color that pop ups too much for my taste. Lowering the brightness fix this a little but still.the other bad thing is the size of this game . has to be one of the biggest Vita titles i don't understand why they will not bring the retail version to the NA store.

Good thing : Looks great and with the 900mbI have the impression it runs even better.

Bad thing : I'm going to be nitpicking here it is a very pretty game but for some reason they gave certain blood a color that pop ups too much for my taste. Lowering the brightness fix this a little but still.the other bad thing is the size of this game . has to be one of the biggest Vita titles i don't understand why they will not bring the retail version to the NA store.

Physical releases cost money, and if they don't expect to make enough to be worth it you don't get one. Has nothing to do with file size, really - a game could be 30MB and get a physical edition if they think it'll be profitable (RCR did it), and a game can be huge and not get one if they don't (Senran Kagura: Bon Appetit! comes to mind).

RK128

Spoiler warning to anyone interested in the series.

For anyone interested in the game, Dananropa Another Episode's first hour and a half got posted online. Here is a link to it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiQIfVbKGZI

Anyone disappointed in Revelations 2 performance on Vita can just check this game out :D.

The game looks like it goes back to RE4-like gameplay, so I'm looking forward to it :).

I'm in a Vita musings mood lately.

Today, I'm wondering when (if at all) all the "leaked" Vita games are going to be announced. It seems extremely weird that we haven't heard a peep about Assassin's Creed Chronicles; XCOM & Civ despite seeing retailer listings and/or classification ratings for all of them. We even had Type-0 on that Brazilian board, though I'm less hopeful for that one.

My instinct would be a blowout at PSX, but Assassin's Creed is supposed to be releasing before that (November). And it feels like we've known about XCOM forever (since Tesco "mistakenly" listed it last summer).

VLiberty

Today, I'm wondering when (if at all) all the "leaked" Vita games are going to be announced. It seems extremely weird that we haven't heard a peep about Assassin's Creed Chronicles; XCOM & Civ despite seeing retailer listings and/or classification ratings for all of them. We even had Type-0 on that Brazilian board, though I'm less hopeful for that one.

My instinct would be a blowout at PSX, but Assassin's Creed is supposed to be releasing before that (November). And it feels like we've known about XCOM forever (since Tesco "mistakenly" listed it last summer).

I've expressed my feeling about this too.
The most puzzling is ACC. It's supposedly coming at the end of October if I'm not mistaken, so both PGW and PSX would be too late. I wouldn't be surprised by some stealth announcement a month before release on PSBlog. This, or some retailers event.

Last year it happened in february and we got the official announcement of Sly trilogy (among other things) which was rated by the ESRB almost a year before.

RK128

My bet is the following:
-AC: Chronicles, XCom, Typo-0, Civ Revolution and a surprise port (ReMake port? We got a Revelations 2 port after all....) all announced at the PSX, with AC: Chronicles releasing the same day its announced on PSN.
-X-Com and Civ. Revolution come out early 2016
-Typo-0 comes to Vita close to summer 2016
-Surprise port alongside another collection port (Ico Collection) comes out latter in the year (August or something)
-If it comes out on Vita, Gravity Rush 2 big fall game for the Vita from Sony (releases same date as the PS4 version with cross-save and cross-buy). If it doesn't come to Vita, Sony releases all Gravity Rush DLC for free for Vita owners to compensate for no Gravity Rush 2 on Vita.

incpdo

Physical releases cost money, and if they don't expect to make enough to be worth it you don't get one. Has nothing to do with file size, really - a game could be 30MB and get a physical edition if they think it'll be profitable (RCR did it), and a game can be huge and not get one if they don't (Senran Kagura: Bon Appetit! comes to mind).
I understand that but I don't see more profitable to finance a game to be ported this late and this big in size . its like a suicide. I mean after all there will be a retail multi language release. In order to sell anything they have at least to promote the game. Or to make a bundle with it. Even when its the new business model they will adopt from now on.to have only the digital option i find it less appealing in general .but of course this is something personal .It would be very sad if ( and its most likely to happen) giving the possibility of a gravity rush 2 this ends up being a downloadable title only too ( if it ever comes to Vita). I mean if there is any exposition of retail games on the west at least helps the people who don't know ( because they probably aren't aware) to know a minimal part of the Vita catalogue promoting in a certain way the content of the machine. I mean resident evil is a big franchise , people know its games or at least have heard of it. So having the game on retail store would help a little to spread the word . vita's games aren't all indie games. There are other type of games on the machine as well. Maybe if they drop the price of the memory cards I wouldn't complain as much. Yeah... Let's resume in: I want it retail and think retail exposition is good for the Vita.

BTW , if I buy the Asian version( and double dip) would I be able to update the game if I have a na account?

RK128

I understand that but I don't see more profitable to finance a game to be ported this late and this big in size . its like a suicide. I mean after all there will be a retail multi language release. In order to sell anything they have at least to promote the game. Or to make a bundle with it. Even when its the new business model they will adopt from now on.to have only the digital option i find it less appealing in general .but of course this is something personal .It would be very sad if ( and its most likely to happen) giving the possibility of a gravity rush 2 this ends up being a downloadable title only too ( if it ever comes to Vita). I mean if there is any exposition of retail games on the west at least helps the people who don't know ( because they probably aren't aware) to know a minimal part of the Vita catalogue promoting in a certain way the content of the machine. I mean resident evil is a big franchise , people know its games or at least have heard of it. So having the game on retail store would help a little to spread the word . vita's games aren't all indie games. There are other type of games on the machine as well. Maybe if they drop the price of the memory cards I wouldn't complain as much. Yeah... Let's resume in: I want it retail and think retail exposition is good for the Vita.

BTW , if I buy the Asian version( and double dip) would I be able to update the game if I have a na account?

You know why we got the port in the first place, right? It was to appease the existing Vita userbase, not to attract new people to the device.

Sony paying money for the port (and why rumors of Xcom, Typo-0, Civ Revolution and AC Chronicles coming to the Vita) is there way in providing 'First Party' games to the console without them making games themselves for the console. Its cheaper to port games, rather than make original games.

Its a shame to think like that, but that is how I think those late-Vita ports are made.

Last year it happened in february and we got the official announcement of Sly trilogy (among other things) which was rated by the ESRB almost a year before.

Didn't know about that one, but I just checked and you're right - Sly Collection rated in April 2013, released in April 2014.

Might be a long wait then, gutted :(

RK128

As used to the Japanese voices as I am, this is a very solid English dub. Seems like they won't be sweeping the sexual aspects under the rug. Looking forward to how they handle certain scenes.

From the phrase the franchise has had on Gaf, I would expect the stories in the games playing a big factor into why people love it so much (I know that is why so many love the Persona series; characters from P3 and P4 feel like 'real' people at times). So seeing your post has me excited in checking out the series this fall :D.

The bolded really stood out to me, so I am wondering how the game is going to explore those elements that (you state) were in the original JP script.

Potential spoiler:
The two playable characters are into each other and that gets more and more noticeable as the game goes on?

Yasumi

Banned
From the phrase the franchise has had on Gaf, I would expect the stories in the games playing a big factor into why people love it so much (I know that is why so many love the Persona series; characters from P3 and P4 feel like 'real' people at times). So seeing you post has me excited in checking out the series this fall :D.

The bolded really stood out to me, so I am wondering how the game is going to explore those elements that (you state) were in the original JP script.

Potential spoiler:
The two playable characters are into each other and that gets more and more noticeable as the game goes on?

Not really, no. Fukawa/Genocider has never really had a true friend in her life before, so she tends to have trouble responding to Komaru's kindness. No yuri/romanticism, she's just really clingy and socially inept.

RK128

Not really, no. Fukawa/Genocider has never really had a true friend in her life before, so she tends to have trouble responding to Komaru's kindness. No yuri/romanticism, she's just really clingy and socially inept.

Ah, okay :). Those elements are with other characters latter in the game then.

Thank you for explaining things Yasumi :D.

Yasumi

Banned
I likely got confused with Yasumi's post and I'm sorry about that :(.
Oh, the sexual stuff?
Badtouch, not goodtouch. It's not related to Komaru or Fukawa.

Also, get out of here and play Danganronpa before coming anywhere near DR discussion.

RK128

Oh, the sexual stuff?
Badtouch, not goodtouch. It's not related to Komaru or Fukawa.

Also, get out of here and play Danganronpa before coming anywhere near DR discussion.

Understood, will avoid talking about the series until I at least beat the first one when I get it. Sorry for de-railing the thread if I did that though :(.

Still excited in checking out the series this fall though (alongside Ar No Surge Plus, SAO: Lost Song, one of the Ateler games, ReBirth 3......my backlog just keeps growing XD).

autoduelist

I understand that but I don't see more profitable to finance a game to be ported this late and this big in size . its like a suicide. I mean after all there will be a retail multi language release. In order to sell anything they have at least to promote the game. Or to make a bundle with it

none of that is incompatible with a digital release, just include codes in the bundle (which they have been doing for ages anyway). Most big stores have given up most of their vita retail space, physical releases are the real 'suicide'.

You know why we got the port in the first place, right? It was to appease the existing Vita userbase, not to attract new people to the device.

Sony paying money for the port (and why rumors of Xcom, Typo-0, Civ Revolution and AC Chronicles coming to the Vita) is there way in providing 'First Party' games to the console without them making games themselves for the console. Its cheaper to port games, rather than make original games.

Its a shame to think like that, but that is how I think those late-Vita ports are made.

Are they wrong to do so? I love my vita into the ground, and I think it's doing better than most seem to (even the pstv fire sales are effectively bringing more people into the ecosystem) but that's what all games being developed for it are meant to do -- sell to the existing userbase. They aren't going to 'save' the vita with a single game... if KZM and Tearaway not only couldn't do it, but failed to even sell well to the exisitng userbase, then they certainly aren't going to keep trying. maybe, and I stress maybe, the [oft-discussed but likely never going to happen] redesign would come with a re-launch or something [and only if it played ps2 games]... but even that is a pipe dream.

RK128

Are they wrong to do so? I love my vita into the ground, and I think it's doing better than most seem to (even the pstv fire sales are effectively bringing more people into the ecosystem) but that's what all games being developed are meant to do -- sell to the existing userbase. They aren't going to 'save' the vita with a single game... if KZM and Tearaway not only couldn't do it, but failed to even sell well to the exisitng userbase, then they certainly aren't going to keep trying. maybe, and I stress maybe, the [likely never going to happen] redesign would come with a re-launch or something [and only if it played ps2 games]... but even that is a pipe dream.

I never said they were wrong to have that mindset; the Vita is a great platform but it isn't selling like hot cakes. So, making software that appeals to the people that own the handheld is a smart way in assuring more purchases in the eco system (which in turn, leads to more games coming to the console).

The large amount of indie games and JP games we purchased are a large reason why we have so many indie games being announced every other week and why so many JP games are getting localized to the Vita.

I'm sorry if I came off bitter, but expecting a lot out of Sony now regarding Vita support, will only lead to personal disappointment :l.

And I will give them credit, 2011-2013 was a fantastic run with first party software (Killzone, Uncharted, Tearaway, Gravity Rush, Vita ports of Sly and PSAS:BR) and 2014-early 2015 was solid too (SS: Delta, Freedom Wars, Ratchet Collection, Sly Collection, Orshika, ect) :).

So I decided to take the plunge and buy Resident Evil Revelations 2 and now that I've played for a bit I thought I should give some quick impressions.

If there's one word to describe the game in my opinion it would be "compressed". The sound is compressed, the textures are bordering Soul Sacrifice tier, and the cut-scenes (while not bad) are definitely toned down. Plus the few load screens I ran into were loooooong.

On a more positive note once the game loads, it runs pretty well actually. In the bit I've played the frame-rate never took a dive even with enemies on screen. Also I never had any problems with the controls so that's not an issue. The biggest compliment I can give the game is that even though I really do not like horror games, to the point that I usually avoid them, I actually want to keep playing.

Honestly if the game had better textures and less compressed audio I'd say it would be considered a great port. With that in mind if you're a fan of Resident Evil or don't mind games with a few performance issues and would rather play on a portable I'd say give it a shot. For anyone else I'd say hold out for a good sale.

Oh and here are a few screenshots I took:

Tizoc

Don't really mind the clothes at all, but getting forced into a specific Digimon (with gameplay repercussions) because they're the "girly" ones is kinda lame. Just let people pick. If boys got to pick from Charmander, Bulbasaur and Squirtle while girls got to pick from Pikachu, swirlix and jigglypuff that'd be pretty lame too.

Actually this, this is what I have an issue with: Pokemon doesn't change what Pokemon you start with whether you choose a boy or girl, so why is this new Digimon game not following that pattern?

I agree that the sexisim thing would go too far and would derail the thread so I'll leave it at that for now.

Since people are posting their Resident Evil Revelations 2 impressions I'm going to post mine as well - especially since I won't be reviewing it. That said, I've only played up to the end of Episode 2 so far, and only a few rounds of raid mode - so take these words with a grain of salt for now.

Here's what I feel is the case, short form 'cause I'm lazy at the moment;
  • The game runs well for the most part, however certain graphical one-offs will hinder your smooth frame rate experience (ie; rain)
  • Though graphics certainly aren't impressive like Killzone, they also aren't disappointing IMO - and are nowhere near Borderlands 2 level of "bad".
  • The campaign runs better than raid mode does frame rate wise.
  • The actual gameplay is very much like Resident Evil 4 and 5
  • The character switching system is excellent, though a command system would have been appreciated.
  • The story hasn't really grabbed me, but the game is enjoyable anyways as it's challenging and nostalgic.
  • Raid mode co-op works pretty well once you get connected (though I had it crash twice in attempting to connect)
  • There's a glitch with a door when using Claire and Moira to escape the room with the cog door opener. You will die there.
  • Loading times range from ~15 seconds to well over a minute, and sometimes the loading screen hangs until you press a button.
  • The game can't run with any other bubble open (aside from settings)
  • It's ~3824MB installed and patched.

RK128

Hello guys :D.

Today is a big day for me as at 2:45PM, I will be taking my first teaching exam (ALST).....should be fun XD! I prepared for it and feel good about it, and knowing that I could retake it again in the future in case anything goes wrong makes me feel a lot better too. Wish me luck :D.

Moving on to on-topic things, decided to re-play Rayman Origins on Vita alongside Rayman 2: Revolution and Rayman 3 HD on PS3 (got in a Rayman mood after beating Rayman 2 PS1 on Vita :)). Origins looks fantastic on Vita while the 3D games on PS2 hold up really well.

Revolution takes the Dreamcast version of Rayman 2 (best version) and adds more content to it (three hubs to explore, higher difficulty, new levels, Metroidvaina elements, ect). It comes with a hit in a few spots (no auto-save, long loading times, frame-rate not being stable) but considering I paid 3-5 bucks for this during a Rayman sale back in 2013, not a bad deal in the slightest.

Rayman 3 is a very odd game, as it removes a very important element form Rayman 2, the great feeling controls, but retains everything else that game had mechanically (Rayman still shoots with his fist, but instead of energy balls, its him throwing his fists like in Rayman 1, You still have the hovering ability, ect). The only new element is the costume powers that give you new moves (throwing a wind at objects, launching a rocket fist) or giving you powers you had in Rayman 2 (grabbing on objects to swing, unlimited flight for a short while).

They are fun to deal with but the game has a few issues sadly. The controls not feeling like how they do in Rayman 2 leads to things feeling very stiff, which makes platforming and combat a bit wonky at times. Rayman 3 also has issues running on PS3; due to it being a sloppy port of the PS2 version, the game has sound issues, unstable 60FPS and odd graphical issues (water is rainbow colored for some reason XD).

Its still a fun platformer and like Rayman Revolution, got this at a steal price (4-5 bucks), so I don't mind its issues to much :). I just wonder how many times the game will get ported in the future XD!

Honestly surprised the X1, PS4, Vita, and Wii U didn't get Rayman 2 and Rayman 3 ports yet :'); Ubi likes to port the former to everything at this point XD.

Top Bottom