• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | December 2015

kunnikuman

Neo Member
SCE made it very clear years ago that they don't care about handheld gaming. You need to look nowhere else than Japan. That's a market where handheld gaming is the dominant format by a significant margin. That's the market where it would've made sense to double down on trying to make Vita a successful platform. That's the market where SCEJA's best selling game in 2015 is Minecraft ... on Vita (which let me add, is their only non-budget reprint physical release on the platform in calendar 2015). That's the market where publishers have been not only able to survive, but thrive off of selling games to as little as 40k-100k consumers. Yet that's the market where the last locally relevant game Sony developed for the platform was announced in 2013. That's despite that game going on to sell over 300,000 copies locally. There's been no attempt to build on that. No low budget projects contracted out to third party studios. There's been literally nothing.

I think you're giving SCEE and SCEA undue praise for localizations on Vita. Outside of a single game, is there any reason to believe they're involved in any of that? They love telling the world they're supporting a series the world has said "no" to five times, so I find it hard to believe they're not willing to pat themselves on the back for translating third party Vita games. XSEED, Atlus, Aksys, Gaijinworks, etc. have been releasing Japanese games long before Vita was around. In fact, most of them supported PSP even when SCE was negligent enough to let some of that platform's biggest releases stay Japan-only. The same can be said for Vita. SCEJA probably translates more third party Vita games into English for sale in Hong Kong/Singapore/Philippines/etc. than SCEE/SCEA do for North America and Europe.
There's not even a roster updated MLB next year for Vita. Thanks, yoshuda.

To be fair, The Show sells like no copies on Vita. Most people I ever saw online was 10.

I suppose that's what you get for just updating the roster every year and selling last year's game as a voucher rather than a cart.

But EA pulled their legacy edition sports series from the system, so I suppose it was time Sony did too.

I was just reading through the steamworld heist and someone commented on how good the animations look, I have seen the same thing in discussions about random vanillaware game and I don't know if people are serious.

Is this the flash generation growing up not expecting more than rag dolls animation, what happened to rotoscope animations?

I get the feeling that almost noone is using references when they create animations for movement nowadays :|

Edit: yes I understand that it is a lot of extra work but take a look at the animations in games like slain, dustforce or cup head.

Xenoflare

Is it me or the new Dualshock 3's have stiffer dpads and analogs?

The dpad is so stiff that I can't do certain combos in Persona Ultimax.

The new one's model number is cechzc2u A2

Is it me or the new Dualshock 3's have stiffer dpads and analogs?

The dpad is so stiff that I can't do certain combos in Persona Ultimax.

The new one's model number is cechzc2u A2

I think they're like that naturally. You have to wear them down a bit for them to get that smooth feel. That's how all of my dual shock 3s are. I have seven of them.

Xenoflare

I think they're like that naturally. You have to wear them down a bit for them to get that smooth feel. That's how all of my dual shock 3s are. I have seven of them.

Wow, thanks, glad to know from someone who owns that many of them!

Yeah I only owned 2 really counting this one. The one I got with my PS3 back in 2010 served me well for all those years until yesterday. So I don't have anything to compare the new one with really since the first one is so old.

I can barely use a Dualshock 3 these days tbh. After using the 4, going back is so weird. I used to be a huge defender of the controller, I don't know what was wrong with me.

I can barely use a Dualshock 3 these days tbh. After using the 4, going back is so weird. I used to be a huge defender of the controller, I don't know what was wrong with me.

You don't know what you're missing 'til you've experienced it. ;)

I loved the style of the DS3, but the DS4 is way better in pretty much every way (other than I got the peeling left analog just after my warranty was up).

I like how light the are for some reason, I'm not usually someone to prefer overly-light technology. ^_^

ryseing

I suppose that's what you get for just updating the roster every year and selling last year's game as a voucher rather than a cart.

But EA pulled their legacy edition sports series from the system, so I suppose it was time Sony did too.

Fair? When you only roster update, strip down 70% of the content, no online, and release as voucher code.... what do you expect?

This was back when they were still adding new features and such. 2013 version I think. Anecdotal and all but I tried playing online quite a few times during what should have been the prime hours and couldn't find a game.

Point is the market didn't exist. Better for San Diego to put the minimal resources they were using elsewhere.

Clive

What I don't understand with the DS4 design is why they didn't include pressure sensitive triggers. They can be very useful in certain games and not having them also means some games can't be ported without being redesigned and that certain games can't be put on PS Now.

I don't really like anything about the DS4 except it being comfortable to hold tbh, which luckily is a very important thing it does well. Useless touch pad, no analogue buttons, light that gets reflected on the TV screen, poor build quality and abysmal battery life.

The DualShock 3 was better in all those regards except it wasn't comfortable to hold. Especially pressing R2/L2 was uncomfortable.

Wow, thanks, glad to know from someone who owns that many of them!

Yeah I only owned 2 really counting this one. The one I got with my PS3 back in 2010 served me well for all those years until yesterday. So I don't have anything to compare the new one with really since the first one is so old.

I have a weekly game night so having enough controllers is a freaking necessity. This is my battle lineup.

1 White Dual Shock 3
1 MLB The Show Dual Shock 3
1 Red Dual Shock 3
1 Blue Dual Shock 3
1 Silver Dual Shock 3 "broken R2 trigger"
1 New Black Dual Shock 3 "still has the stiff rough feeling on the dpad"
1 old Dual Shock 3 "triggers are busted.
1 Street Fighter X Tekken Pad
2 Neo Geo USB Controllers "one is broken"

1 Playstation Anniversary Dual Shock 4 "These have slightly better build construction than the others?"
1 White Dual Shock 4
1 Blue Dual Shock 4
1 Black Dual Shock 4

7 Playstation Moves

You learn to buy replacement rubbers for these things. As long as the face buttons work, than they work for most party games.

kunnikuman

Neo Member
This was back when they were still adding new features and such. 2013 version I think. Anecdotal and all but I tried playing online quite a few times during what should have been the prime hours and couldn't find a game.

Point is the market didn't exist. Better for San Diego to put the minimal resources they were using elsewhere.
even back then the Vita version had missing features and quite a lot.
also, the PS3 version online has been just as dead as Vita since they are so bad netcoding. They cant even do it right. It's why they shut the servers off so fast - no one plays it and want them to move to their next annual game. http://forums.theshownation.com/for...of-mlb-13-the-show-are-missing-on-the-ps-vita

http://slumz.boxden.com/f13/mlb-13-show-fact-list-new-stuff-1869460/

is there a place where I could get a OEM DS3 on the cheap? they're still pushing 40 bucks and I just can't be bothered since I just want one for my PC.

Xenoflare

is there a place where I could get a OEM DS3 on the cheap? they're still pushing 40 bucks and I just can't be bothered since I just want one for my PC.

I'd buy it if it's 40 bucks haha. In Canada most stores do not carry them anymore and I guess because of the dollar the price won't come down. I should have bought a back up last year when it was on sale.

It's $62 after tax for me. LOL

Try to see on Amazon, I've seen the old game/controller bundle one for $35. I don't use online shopping for various reasons but if you do take a look.

Massa

I also didn't want to pay full price for a DS3, that's why I bought the PSTV bundle. I think it's $60 now.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
How's SAO Lost Song for vita? Is it open world? How are quests and story progression?
Negatives?
Is it worth full price? Should i fear for it being on sale this wednesday in eu psn?

How's SAO Lost Song for vita? Is it open world? How are quests and story progression?

I've only played a little bit. It's alright. It's more instantly rewarding in the combat system than Hollow Fragment but feels a little shallow already. The areas and nice and big to explore but also pretty sparse. Quests and story are what you'd expect.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I've only played a little bit. It's alright. It's more instantly rewarding in the combat system than Hollow Fragment but feels a little shallow already. The areas and nice and big to explore but also pretty sparse. Quests and story are what you'd expect.
Ok, i guess i'll wait for a cheaper price, after all i plan to import Cold Steel.

Powwa

Hey guys I've bought Japanese Voice Pack for Soul Sacrifice Delta but it doesn't let me change the language in the game. Do I have to wait some till I can activate it?

Hey guys I've bought Japanese Voice Pack for Soul Sacrifice Delta but it doesn't let me to change the language in the game. Do I have to wait some till I can activate it?

Actually just started the original SS last night, felt like a good follow-up after enjoying freedom wars so much. Is there even an option to pay for the Japanese VA for the original version? Checked the store and nada.

Powwa

Actually just started the original SS last night, felt like a good follow-up after enjoying freedom wars so much. Is there even an option to pay for the Japanese VA for the original version? Checked the store and nada.

Yes there is a Japanese voice over pack you can buy in store. Keep in mind I'm using EU store but as far as I know NA also has it.

Yes there is a Japanese voice over pack you can buy in store. Keep in mind I'm using EU store but as far as I know NA also has it.

Hmm. I'm on the EU store as well man, couldn't find it :( not for a lack of trying though. I must be blind. How far are you in btw? It says something about only being able to change voice outside of missions, have you finished up the first segment of the opening chapter?

redcrayon

Are the games any good if you have no interest in the cartoon? I'm always up for an rpg but not for watching several TV series first.

Are the games any good if you have no interest in the cartoon? I'm always up for an rpg but not for watching several TV series first.

I'm not sure I can answer that because I like the anime.

I'd say they'll certainly be less appealing because the story isn't anything special otherwise.

Powwa

Hmm. I'm on the EU store as well man, couldn't find it :( not for a lack of trying though. I must be blind. How far are you in btw? It says something about only being able to change voice outside of missions, have you finished up the first segment of the opening chapter?

I've just started it. I finished SS more than a year ago though, so I transferred my save data. Have you played the original?

Prelude.

I didn't know it, some good prices! Many games aren't available though.
Yeah, I didn't know about it either until recently. They had black friday and other sales recently so they might be low in stock.
So far I bought Hyperdevotion Noire for €12 and Shinobido 2+Lost Dimension for €26. Good stuff.
And none of them had the shitty SIAE sticker on the paper cover/at all so that's a plus.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Still no idea what the game actually is after watching the full trailer. Never a good sign.
The trailer honestly says next to nothing about wtf the game actually is and then the visuals seem fairly low budget which doesn't help things either.
Well it should be like disaster report(not that i have ever played one of them though) but with giant monsters, you have to survive the destruction and eventually help other people.

EDIT:
i mean gameplay-wise it should be more or less like DR4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW993ch-hqE

But DR4 has more hype, it's all about the graphics?

Still no idea what the game actually is after watching the full trailer. Never a good sign.

Yeah I got this feeling too.

Edit:

Well it should be like disaster report(not that i have ever played one of them though) but with giant monsters, you have to survive the destruction and eventually help other people.

EDIT:
i mean gameplay-wise it should be more or less like DR4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW993ch-hqE

But DR4 has more hype, it's all about the graphics?

Well it's probably more about it being an unexpected sequel in a series rather than a new but similar game. Certainly I can say that that trailer makes this game appear even more aimless than the other, but maybe the Disaster Report games are more about wandering?

Okay, so here's a question sort of related to that whole "don't know what this game is about" idea;

If a trailer doesn't explicitly explain the game in some way (gameplay, story explanation somehow, character introductions, etc) is it worth viewing?

Okay, so here's a question sort of related to that whole "don't know what this game is about" idea;

If a trailer doesn't explicitly explain the game in some way (gameplay, story explanation somehow, character introductions, etc) is it worth viewing?

Honestly depends on what it is exactly, like is it trying to be a hype video or something. Something like StarCraft 2 where the first trailer (it was nothing more than buff dude getting suited up and saying a few words) was meant as nothing more than a hype video because it has been so long since the last, ya that's fine. Something like the above trailer though? I honestly don't even know what to think of it other than be turned off due to the cheap look of it.

The Disaster Report video doesn't do much for me either, but at least it tries to show what it's about. A giant looming shadow over a city (with foot stomping that looks extremely out of place) and some Michael Bay early PS2 level splosions mean nothing to me.

pariah164

Does anyone else have trouble transferring games from PC to their Vita? I usually have no issue transferring from Vita to PC, but I've been sitting here for 10 minutes watching the 'Copying..." screen try to transfer Project Diva F 2nd from my PC to the Vita, with the bar not moving.

If you can watch the trailer and come out of it with no understanding of what the game is actually like, I'd say it's a pretty garbage trailer. Might be worth watching for the entertainment value though.

Xenoflare

Wait, Disater Report is getting released? It's good news even if it means this game never reaches out of Japan.

A shame that the original release so close to the 2011 earthquake

incpdo

You guys are weird, I don't get all the complaints regarding the trailer.
Yeah I think this too. I was hoping for a complete vague trailer but I think I'm excited to see the final product. It's more like a disaster report meets the sim city disasters or something like that.

Top Bottom