• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | December 2015

kevin1025

Banned
Downloading Bastion! I was going to play it on PS4 sometime this month but I wanted something to fiddle around with other than Rocketbirds. Vita time!

Flunkie

Banned
Bought Bastion and Nuclear Throne on the spot and I'm LOVING Nuclear Throne. Feels way better than Binding of Isaac to me (I can shoot any direction I want?! No WAY. That was my main gripe with BoA).

alright nuclear throne doesn't run like shit on vita and i'm not fuckin pissed

it's a solid 30fps if you just turn off the lame ass freezeframe setting in the options

I don't get it, what is that for? I also turned off the stupid screen shake, that made me nauseous.

Prelude.

Nice to see it was worth skipping another sony conference. Cool that Yakuza 0 is coming but I won't care for a long time and I still have to play 5 so whatever. It's probably gonna be the last one anyway so might as well take my time, lol.

But anyway, why is Bastion €7,50 in Europe?

Also, I assume there aren't free games this year, right?

RK128

Nice to see it was worth skipping another sony conference. Cool that Yakuza 0 is coming but I won't care for a long time and I still have to play 5 so whatever.

But anyway, why is Bastion €7,50 in Europe?

Also, I assume there aren't free games this year, right?

Bit Trip and Nuclear Throne are free for people at the PSX Event using the PS App or something but otherwise, yah, no free games :l.

To be fair though, we did get a good deal of things releasing/coming out today:
-PS4 port of FFVII (PC Version) released with discount
-Bastion Vita launched (in NA at least) with a very steep price drop (2.85 in NA)
-Nuclear Throne and Bit.Trip released for both Vita and PS4 (no price drop)
-New titles added to PS Now Subscription (WB games, 2K titles, ect)
-PS2 Games for PS4 came out: Dark Cloud, Rouge Galaxy and the GTA PS2 Trilogy noteworthy games released (though they are 15 bucks and in the case for GTA PS2 titles, no cross-buy/price drop for people own them on PS3).

Flunkie

Banned
Photo from wario
vo7qt89.jpg

Did we know about this? What kind of game even is this?

RK128

Photo from wario

Did we know about this? What kind of game even is this?

We know about this man :).

The game is a co-op action title (in the styling of Neptuina U: Action Unleashed, which came out this year) and it has the Neptuina cast fighting Zombies and monsters of all kinds. The style is also high school, likely for the humor potential or something.

The game has online modes, co-op modes and has a large cast to play as (the four main CPU characters, the side CPU Candidate characters, and two characters (the new CPU from ReBirth 3 and the new CPU from Victory II).

Heard good things about the JP version and looking forward to getting this next year :).

Flunkie

Banned
I still laugh every time flunkie posts about some hyper moe anime shit ahahaha

This is what Vitagaf has done to you, man

hahahaha not that I play any NepNep games, fuck those games. Hate em. Tried Rebirth 1 and wish I could undo it.

just forget I'm playing and loving SAO: HF

And in all seriousness, I wouldn't say that this is what "it's done to me," it's really opened my mind to accepting other things. I used to think anime was kiddy and immature, and if people liked even stuff like Dragon Ball Z, I thought they were weird. Enjoying games like SAO: HF and the Danganronpa games, it's opened my eyes to other forms of entertainment, and I can say I kind of like it now. You won't find me spending all day watching anime, but I certainly don't avoid it like I used to.

RK128

hahahaha not that I play any NepNep games, fuck those games. Hate em. Tried Rebirth 1 and wish I could undo it.

The game has bad difficulty spikes, so I don't blame you being turned off by it. I enjoyed it a lot but stopped playing because of those issues (got to Chap. 6 or 7 before I stopped playing it). ReBirth 2 and 3 are a lot better and more balanced in comparison, so if you ever want to get into the series again, try either of those out :).

Edit: XD at that spoiler :'). I loved my time with Hollow Fragment myself and I am very glad I played it last year on my Vita :). Recommend giving Lost Song a shot once you beat Hollow Fragment; very enjoyable game and love my time with it so far.

Unlocking the altitude limit and flying all over the place is such a wonderful experience :).

BHK3

Banned
So is there seriously NO sort of discount on the ps2 games? I have to re-rebuy them? Am I really going to have to spend $10 on TM:B even though I already own the disc and the ps3 version?

Well, fuck. Oh well, no use getting mad about games that came out 15 years ago, time to look toward the future. How about that Ni-Oh eh guys?

just forget I'm playing and loving SAO: HF

And in all seriousness, I wouldn't say that this is what "it's done to me," it's really opened my mind to accepting other things. I used to think anime was kiddy and immature, and if people liked even stuff like Dragon Ball Z, I thought they were weird. Enjoying games like SAO: HF and the Danganronpa games, it's opened my eyes to other forms of entertainment, and I can say I kind of like it now. You won't find me spending all day watching anime, but I certainly don't avoid it like I used to.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I just find it funny. Honestly it's always good to open yourself up to other mediums as far as I'm concerned. You have to get to something pretty extreme for there not to be anything quality within the umbrella.

RK128

So is there seriously NO sort of discount on the ps2 games? I have to re-rebuy them? Am I really going to have to spend $10 on TM:B even though I already own the disc and the ps3 version?

Do what I am going to do when get the games (don't own a PS4 yet); don't get the ones you own already.

Considering the upgrades are not worth it if you own the games already (trophies don't push me that much and I am happy with the performance on games already on my PS3), there is no reason to get them again. Besides, an upgrade program must be in the works considering the backlash of this move (no cross-buy).

kevin1025

Banned
Bastion is awesome on Vita! Runs very well, plays great as it always has. The only downside is the writing is super teeny on items you can pick up. It's a supremely minor thing, the actual text in the menus and such are perfectly fine.

Flunkie

Banned
Bastion is awesome on Vita! Runs very well, plays great as it always has. The only downside is the writing is super teeny on items you can pick up. It's a supremely minor thing, the actual text in the menus and such are perfectly fine.

So is Nuclear Throne. Explosions are the only thing that I could say they might improve on. Question though, what does filling up your rad meter in the top left actually do?

I felt the scale of the game (outside of HUD for the most part) was too small in general. Honestly if it was like 25%-35% larger I think it would look much better. As I said previously, though, I think it's likely this is an engine limitation.

RK128

I love the game so far :D.

-The writing is really strong
-The music is great so far
-Love the various weapons/items you can use for fights
-Really enjoy the variety of locations to go and the size of the world
-The visuals look amazing on Vita and the game runs very well

Overall some of the best 3 bucks I ever spent on the PSN Store :D.

kevin1025

Banned
I felt the scale of the game (outside of HUD for the most part) was too small in general. Honestly if it was like 25%-35% larger I think it would look much better. As I said previously, though, I think it's likely this is an engine limitation.

Yeah, the scale can be a little tiny, I play games on the Vita weird where it's up close to my face, haha. But with the turrets that appear on floating areas, I guess they had to keep the camera distance the same as the other versions, and so the Vita version can feel a little tiny with that.

I love the game so far :D.

-The writing is really strong
-The music is great so far
-Love the various weapons/items you can use for fights
-Really enjoy the variety of locations to go and the size of the world
-The visuals look amazing on Vita and the game runs very well

Overall some of the best 3 bucks I ever spent on the PSN Store :D.

Three bucks is an incredible deal! I got it on a flash sale for PS4 but never got to it, so now that it's on Vita I had to jump into it!

So is Nuclear Throne. Explosions are the only thing that I could say they might improve on. Question though, what does filling up your rad meter in the top left actually do?

Apparently the rad meter levels you up and you can choose mutators after entering portals.

BHK3

Banned
Do what I am going to do when get the games (don't own a PS4 yet); don't get the ones you own already.

Considering the upgrades are not worth it if you own the games already (trophies don't push me that much and I am happy with the performance on games already on my PS3), there is no reason to get them again. Besides, an upgrade program must be in the works considering the backlash of this move (no cross-buy).

So I would have to re-re-rebuy them for the PS5? nty

RK128

So I would have to re-re-rebuy them for the PS5? nty

The only reason for no BC with the PS2 Classics on PS4 is likely due to the new features added in with the new emulator (1080p up-scale, trophy support, PS4 OS features) but that still doesn't excuse anything either :l.

I would not mind an upgrade fee but I wouldn't want to pay for it either.

I don't want to pick sides on the whole PS2 emulation and usage debacle, however - I would like to say that if Sony came out and announced that they would carry PS1 and PS2 emulated purchases forward on future consoles (something that should be technically possible) it would make me purchase classic titles again.

Otherwise, SSX maybe (if they bring it) - but anything else no thanks. I can't be bothered to re-buy games that aren't updated in any way.

wilflare

2016 is killer.

As for your second point, idk. People's reception of Oreshika was pretty lukewarm, myself included. I played it, and dropped it shortly after. I got it, I understood the game, and after a while I just moved on to something else. It didn't stick with me. Danganronpa was a great game. I'd say the only game I played on my Vita this year that I actually finished (although there weren't a lot tbh), so that tells you something.

The PS4 gave me great games this year. I loved The Witcher. I lost myself in that game for countless hours and saw everything until the end. Bloodborne was an immaculate game as well. Then there was MGS5, Fallout4, Zestiria, the list goes on and on. I have said it before, I am a very handheld focused guy. This year was just a huge disappointment, but thanks to that I learned to love and respect my console more. Finally this box was more than just a Destiny machine. I'd arguably say the 3DS was okay. It had Monster Hunter, Xenoblade, Persona Q and now the excellent Stella Glow (seriously, SRPG fans get on this game).

If I were to rank this year, it'd be:

PS4 >> 3DS > Vita

Looking forward to next year though!!

for most of the games you listed, should have considered a PC.
the games would be cheaper too and you wouldn't have to deal with the CAD-USD pricing and other pricing woes.

and it's worth playing Bastion again with hardware controls :) especially at that price

kevin1025

Banned
It's odd we didn't hear about The Banner Saga today. Stoic mentioned it's in submission since early November. Is it possible it is given a date sometime tomorrow?

And still no Ronin :(

for most of the games you listed, should have considered a PC.
the games would be cheaper too and you wouldn't have to deal with the CAD-USD pricing and other pricing woes.

and it's worth playing Bastion again with hardware controls :) especially at that price

Aye, but I simply don't have the budget. My laptop is OKAY (I'm playing Dark Souls with Durante's fix on it now at a rock solid 30fps) but I wouldn't be able to see The Witcher or MGSV shining without a decent setup. With my PS4 it's as easy as buying/downloading the game, installing and playing :p

It's odd we didn't hear about The Banner Saga today. Stoic mentioned it's in submission since early November. Is it possible it is given a date sometime tomorrow?

And still no Ronin :(

I keep forgetting about banner saga. it is odd that it's got no news. Might end up a stealth release, unfortunately.

Shizuka

I guess there are still three games that might get stealth released during December that I want: The Banner Saga, Summon Night 5 and Hatoful Boyfriend Holiday Star.

wilflare

Aye, but I simply don't have the budget. My laptop is OKAY (I'm playing Dark Souls with Durante's fix on it now at a rock solid 30fps) but I wouldn't be able to see The Witcher or MGSV shining without a decent setup. With my PS4 it's as easy as buying/downloading the game, installing and playing :p

with the amount of money you have to pay for PS4 games (due to the CAD/USD pricing woes), you can probably get a decent laptop/PC and still get games on Steam for a good price (just ask the PC/Laptop OTs for advice). the prices aren't out of reach/unreasonable.

and dude. that is what Steam has been doing for years (easy as buying/downloading the game, installing and playing).

RK128

I guess there are still three games that might get stealth released during December that I want: The Banner Saga, Summon Night 5 and Hatoful Boyfriend Holiday Star.

I'm hopeful that Axiom Verge is one of the games releasing in December but not holding my breath on it :(.

Bastion runs great and it runs on the same engine as Axiom Verge, so there's hope for the game to come out soon :D.

with the amount of money you have to pay for PS4 games (due to the CAD/USD pricing woes), you can probably get a decent laptop/PC and still get games on Steam for a good price (just ask the PC/Laptop OTs for advice). the prices aren't out of reach/unreasonable.

and dude. that is what Steam has been doing for years (easy as buying/downloading the game, installing and playing).

Ehhh, but I already own the PS4 anyway, might as well give it good use :p Also I only buy games these days with the Amazon 30% discounts precisely because of that. Just recently I posted about it here. For us Canadians, those sales are key.

kevin1025

Banned
Just tried Rocketbirds and yikes, that gameplay is way too stiff for me to put up with. Delete-o.

I'm on mission 5. It takes a lot of getting used to. I don't know how much farther I'll be getting, but it's okay. The flying mission gave me Luftrausers nostalgia... must resist firing that one up... That game consumes me.

Xenoflare

ahh eff it, caved in for the bastion.

Looks really sharp, but yeah, the framerate is half of the 360 version.

In a way it's like a dream come true, I never use my 360 anymore, so playing that on the go is very inviting.

Chuy

Late but the conference was meh in my eyes. Some new things coming to ps4 that i'm interested in and kinda was surprised at the amount of support the vita got even if it was cross buy./ports.
2016 looks promising though for PS4/V. It'll be interesting trying to juggle which games to prioritize to get and for what platforms.

Also from the various sales going on what's worth getting? Already got Bastion any other good games on sale less than $7?

RK128

Late but the conference was meh in my eyes. Some new things coming to ps4 that i'm interested in and kinda was surprised at the amount of support the vita got even if it was cross buy./ports.
2016 looks promising though for PS4/V. It'll be interesting trying to juggle which games to prioritize to get and for what platforms.

Also from the various sales going on what's worth getting? Already got Bastion any other good games on sale less than $7?

I recommend getting a few Disney PS1 Classics, as they are all 1.50 per game :).

PS1 Classics (Playable on PS3, PS Vita and PSP)
-Hercules (PS1 Classic): 1.50
-Lilo and Stitch (PS1 Classic): 1.50

-Return to Neverland (PS1 Classic): 1.50
-Monsters Inc (PS1 Classic): 1.50
-Emperor's New Grove (PS1 Classic): 1.50

-Little Mermaid II (PS1 Cassic): 1.50
-A Bugs Life (PS1 Classic): 1.50
-Toy Story Racer (PS1 Classic): 1.50
-Toy Story 2 (PS1 Classic): 1.50

The bolded are the strongest games in the line up.

Toy Story 2, Hercules, Monsters Inc. and Emperor's New Grove are solid titles
-TS2 is a 3D platformer made by Travelers Tales (Lego game developers, Crash Twinsanity)
-Hercules is a 2D Action/Platformer that can be a fun time
-Monsters Inc. and Emperor's New Grove are both simple 3D platformers but both are quite enjoyable from what I saw from each of them.

Six bucks for some good platformers, nice deal I think :).

Here is the link if you are interested: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...e=Google&utm_term=ps-ga-871&utm_content=Brand

Also worth noting is FFVII PS4 is 10 bucks (normal price is 15 bucks).

Top Bottom