• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | February 2016

New day, same question. How many hours until the NISA conference?

Edit:just saw the answer to this question in the NISA conference thread and apparently it's around 27 hours until the event.

18-Volt

Edit: this message came off as kind of rude but there is no clear evidence that Marvelous does not license their games to others. In fact, they did so in 2013 with Muramasa Rebirth which Aksys published in America. On the PS Store page for Muramasa it is made clear that it is licensed to Aksys by Marvelous. We don't know if this policy has changed.

Yes, that one was an important exception. I don't know what went on between XSEED and Vanillaware but they couldn't finish Grand Knight History due to some disagreement, and that lead Vanillaware to find another publisher for their next game.

XSEED still hasn't announced their 2016 lineup, so we can't write off Luminous Arc localization yet. They seem to increase the number of localizations each year, I wouldn't be surprised if they come up with LA:I announcement very soon.

batrush

TitS FC must at this point be the game I've restarted the most times but still haven't beaten. Bought it on PSP (physical and digital), PC, and now Vita with FC Evolution.

Ephidel

Yes, that one was an important exception. I don't know what went on between XSEED and Vanillaware but they couldn't finish Grand Knight History due to some disagreement, and that lead Vanillaware to find another publisher for their next game.
I'm not sure "disagreement" really fits. That implies some wrongdoing led Vanillaware to go elsewhere with their next game instead, but they were already working with another company on their next game at the time the GKH stuff happened. Initially it was Ignition, and then later Atlus. That was probably where all the problems came from.

XSEED finished the translation but were reliant on Vanillaware to program the script back into the game, and Vanillaware... didn't.
First this got it delayed, and then, eventually, cancelled altogether.
Wyrdwad said:
lazynyan said:
I didn't realize the Japanese company was in charge of the coding! That means XSEED does the translation and sends the script back to Vanillaware to code in, in this case?
Yeah, we don't have in-house programmers here, so we generally rely on the Japanese developer/publisher (or a third-party company of their choice) to do the programming for us.

It's pretty standard practice in the industry.

-Tom
(The forum thread is long gone, this is from an archive - http://archive.is/tHZDO)
"As for GKH, well, sometimes it’s out of our hands. The text was all translated and ready to go, but the resources just weren’t there. We were as devastated as you guys," Jessica Chavez from Xseed said during a live Q&A with Kotaku.
(via Siliconera).

And the reason Vanillaware didn't do it is because they're a small team and by this point they were already working on Dragon's Crown, so they prioritised that instead.
Because they were doing that they didn't have the resources "spare" to work on GKH as well so they didn't. I may think was a bit shitty of them considering that they presumably already had a deal in place with XSEED that they basically ignored in favour of Dragon's Crown, but shit happens.
In all honestly that probably wasn't all their fault either. I'm assuming it was down to whatever deal got made with Atlus to pick up the game after Ignition fucked up and bailed out, particularly because Atlus staff ended up working on it with them. Of course they'd prioritise working with the company saving their current game (and source of income) instead of doing something for an external company. And to be fair, that worked out for them.

http://www.axiomverge.com/blog/vita-status-update

So here’s the good news: the game is ported. It runs and is playable! Anyone who has worked on a porting project can tell you that that represents the biggest hurdle. Going from ported game to polished and shippable ported game is much easier than going from non-ported game to ported game. In fact, one of the reasons I couldn’t give a status update on the port before was that there was nothing to show. It was all plumbing and wiring. It’s only when you get everything hooked up and hit the switch that it goes from 0-100 pretty much overnight.

However, I am very comfortable in announcing that we’re in the home stretch. It’s everyone’s top priority, and we’re getting closer every day. Thank you all for your continued patience and support.

R4mteuM.jpg

Tom Clancy's The Division Beta PS4 - Probably wouldn't have tried this without the demo/beta because Tom Clancy usually makes me disregard a game. It is basically a dark and depressing Borderlands with cover mechanics. People are questioning if just shooting lots of things for better equipment gets boring but it works for some people with Destiny and Borderlands. I thought the PS4 version ran fine and it looks good to me if a little too bleak for my tastes. Probably be on a lot of GOTY lists. Pre-ordered.

j7eSUXM.jpg

GTA V PS4 - I don't know why I keep playing GTA games when I don't like them. I guess I feel like I need to be part of the gaming zeitgeist. This one doubles down on boring crap you need to do and lots of time travelling to different missions with probably the lamest radio yet. There is cool stuff but just too much filler. I have better games to play than doing virtual yoga. Not for me.

Disney Universe PS3 - This is pretty much like every Lego game every made. Lots of putting stuff together, collecting things and obvious puzzles. Waste of a lot of Disney properties because nothing looks like Disney property it is supposed to be. Lego does it better.

Brave PS3 - This is a good character action game. Shoot with the right stick and swipe with button presses. Cranked it up to the hightest difficulty and it is kicking my ass. I like it a lot despite never seeing the movie.

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified PS3 - Not as bad as I thought it would be. The pause and order your team around is pretty neat. I like the setting a lot. But that shooting is so terrible. One of the worst implementation of auto aim ever. There have been worse PS+ games.

SerTapTap

As a heads up Layers of Fear's performance is pretty iffy on PS4. If you have a solid PC I'd opt for it on that instead (I don't have the PC version, but I haven't heard that complaint about the early access version). It's playable, but the first area's performance is real bad with lots of tearing and queasy camera movement. After the start the game gets more straightforward and performance is less of an issue (but it's still not even perfect 30 FPS)

Pretty decent horror game so far, though the jump scares have yet to "get" me and it takes about a half hour to get going (not uncommon for the genre).

Oh yeah, since I'm here, here's my video of Amazing Discoveries in Outer Space, it's a pretty fun little physics-based exploration roguelike. Fairly relaxing for a roguelike but I don't get super far.

As a heads up Layers of Fear's performance is pretty iffy on PS4. If you have a solid PC I'd opt for it on that instead (I don't have the PC version, but I haven't heard that complaint about the early access version). It's playable, but the first area's performance is real bad with lots of tearing and queasy camera movement. After the start the game gets more straightforward and performance is less of an issue (but it's still not even perfect 30 FPS)

Pretty decent horror game so far, though the jump scares have yet to "get" me and it takes about a half hour to get going (not uncommon for the genre).

Oh yeah, since I'm here, here's my video of Amazing Discoveries in Outer Space, it's a pretty fun little physics-based exploration roguelike. Fairly relaxing for a roguelike but I don't get super far.

Welcome back Sir TapTap. Yeah after watching the video my interest for this game is a lot higher. The trailers made it look like a standard puzzle platformer but this looks a lot more interesting.

SerTapTap

Welcome back Sir TapTap. Yeah after watching the video my interest for this game is a lot higher. The trailers made it look like a standard puzzle platformer but this looks a lot more interesting.

I hadn't even heard of it. I usually don't like the "gravity and fuel" lunar lander style gameplay but it's rather forgiving in terms of rough landings so it's more about exploring and conserving fuel (I really like that you can take a single hilariously bad hit and still live because I usually hit at least one asteroid at terminal velocity at least once per playthrough)

maouvin

Looks like Broforce is the first confirmed PS+ title for March. You only had one job, internet.

Did Cactus at least manage to get up to 2nd place? It was at the bottom when I voted.

And anyone remember how was the discount for the runner ups on the previous voting?

Looks like Broforce is the first confirmed PS+ title for March. You only had one job, internet.

I thought Assault Android Cactus, which I voted for, was going to win off of name recognition like Grow Home did. I guess Broforce is popular with meme people or something? No idea.

VLiberty

I hoped we'd get the full list today just like in august. Oh well.

I'll try Broforce but I definitely wanred the other two more. Especially Cactus. I feel like we'll still get Henk someday due to it being a Curve game.

SerTapTap

Look at the plus side, you get to more directly monetarily support the Cactus developers.

Absolutely check it out if you're not familiar. you don't have to play co op to have a blast, either.

FDC1

Hitman GO is up in Europe. Beware, it was announced as cross-buy but it seems it's not the case, at least for the moment.

Japan: http://gamestalk.net/minecraft-19/

Minecraft PS Versions will now be used for better money milking.

Minecraft PlayStation Vita/3/4 Edition will now be named Minecraft Console Edition. This will be reflected in-game in an update.

Also, cross-buy and discount options (Digital) will end for all version after the said date.

All versions will be available for 2600 yen.
PS4 ver with 7 DLCs bundle will be available for a higher price.

Vita/PS4 Packaged games will still be available for 2600 (which effectively makes digital ones more expensive). The PS3 DL code included in the Vita package is still usable after said date.

Additionally, DLCs (skin pack/texture pack) will be no longer be cross-buy.

IIRC, Minecraft Vita (solo) was available for 2100-ish yen, then the option to buy it solo was removed, offering only the cross-buy one (2600 yen) for PS3/Vita. http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/8422997.html

Also, if you bought the PS3 (DL?) version, you had the option to discount buy VIta ver for 400~ yen or PS4 ver for 500~ yen. Now, you the option is no longer available except for the PS4 bundle one (4000 yen to 2500).

This is sad. Minecraft is one of the very few cross-buy games in Japan. WTF is with them stopping with DLC cross buy? Vita DL version now also costs 500 yen more.

Shinriji

Japan: http://gamestalk.net/minecraft-19/

Minecraft PS Versions will now be used for better money milking.

Minecraft PlayStation Vita/3/4 Edition will now be named Minecraft Console Edition. This will be reflected in-game in an update.

Also, cross-buy and discount options (Digital) will end for all version after the said date.

All versions will be available for 2600 yen.
PS4 ver with 7 DLCs bundle will be available for a higher price.

Vita/PS4 Packaged games will still be available for 2600 (which effectively makes digital ones more expensive). The PS3 DL code included in the Vita package is still usable after said date.

Additionally, DLCs (skin pack/texture pack) will be no longer be cross-buy.

IIRC, Minecraft Vita (solo) was available for 2100-ish yen, then the option to buy it solo was removed, offering only the cross-buy one (2600 yen) for PS3/Vita. http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/8422997.html

Also, if you bought the PS3 (DL?) version, you had the option to discount buy VIta ver for 400~ yen or PS4 ver for 500~ yen. Now, you the option is no longer available except for the PS4 bundle one (4000 yen to 2500).

This is sad. Minecraft is one of the very few cross-buy games in Japan. WTF is with them stopping with DLC cross buy? Vita DL version now also costs 500 yen more.

Very weird. I think that they want to push retail sales with this move. I just hope that this isn't a worldwide move.

SerTapTap

I need Yomawari now. I'm glad their "creepy cute shit" didn't end with Firefly Diary. The second boss drove me insane but I need more of that art style.

Top Bottom