• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | February 2016

Xenoflare

My 64G vita card is here.

Can I get that gif please.

Also do I move the "internal storage" to the new memory card or not?

Edit: Wait, what's the max free space for the 64 gb card, IIRC it's 56 but I have 60.

pariah164

3YYaYjc.gif

Congrats!

RK128

Edit: Wait, what's the max free space for the 64 gb card, IIRC it's 56 but I have 60.

Congrats :D! Load a lot of games on it now XD!

Memory cards have some extra space locked up to ensure they work or something; for example, iPod Hard-drives can have say, 32GB's but they really only have 28GB's.

That is how memory works sometimes sadly :l.

Xenoflare

Memory cards have some extra space locked up to ensure they work or something; for example, iPod Hard-drives can have say, 32GB's but they really only have 28GB's.

I know that... it's just that some of the reports I've seen with people seems to indicate that the cards have inconsistent max space, like some cards will have more space than others under the same configurations.

Annnnnd 20gb gone already, well gonna start planning my purchases.

pariah164

I know that... it's just that some of the reports I've seen with people seems to indicate that the cards have inconsistent max space, like some cards will have more space than others under the same configurations.

Annnnnd 20gb gone already, well gonna start planning my purchases.
Shiiiiiiet. I would fill up a 64 GB so fast...

Xenoflare

Shiiiiiiet. I would fill up a 64 GB so fast...

Haha yeah, I also have a few games that are close to 3gb each but I don't want to redownload them. Oreshika and RO:Ace, both regrettable purchases for me. I have about 13GB used up already since the beginning and I'm downloading FFX2 and some other stuff

How is The boy and his blob? I really like the aesthetic

pariah164

Haha yeah, I also have a few games that are close to 3gb each but I don't want to redownload them. Oreshika and RO:Ace, both regrettable purchases for me.
Why does everyone hate RO:Ace? I feel like I'm the only one who genuinely enjoys that game. :(

Props for the FFX-2 download though.

Xenoflare

Why does everyone hate RO:Ace? I feel like I'm the only one who genuinely enjoys that game. :(

Props for the FFX-2 download though.

I played Tokiden and Soul Sacrifice before it and I found both of the two games are superior than RO in every way

Powwa

I wonder if Sony learned a lesson after releasing Tearaway and GR on PS4. The problem wasn't the Vita, it was because these games were too niche to appeal a wide audience.

Gravity Rush 2 may end up selling a bit better though, maybe some people played the GR on Vita and they didn't think it was worth to rebuy the game.

I wonder if Sony learned a lesson after releasing Tearaway and GR on PS4. The problem wasn't the Vita, it was because these games were too niche to appeal a wide audience.

Gravity Rush 2 may end up selling a bit better though, maybe some people played the GR on Vita and they didn't think it was worth to rebuy the game.

I guess you're talking about UK charts? The game is sold out at amazon.co.uk and GAME

I'm assuming it doesn't look better at most other places. Hard to sell more copies and chart higher when you don't ship more.

I guess you're talking about UK charts? The game is sold out at amazon.co.uk and GAME

I'm assuming it doesn't look better at most other places. Hard to sell more copies and chart higher when you don't ship more.

I pre-ordered at Shopto about a week before release and still don't have a copy.

Makes me wonder why they're bothering if they can't even meet pre-order demand, which is not particularly high (not like the game would've ripped up the charts if they shipped enough copies).

I pre-ordered at Shopto about a week before release and still don't have a copy.

Makes me wonder why they're bothering if they can't even meet pre-order demand, which is not particularly high (not like the game would've ripped up the charts if they shipped enough copies).

The release was even delayed in Germany by one week. Maybe there were production problems but they didn't tell aynone in the UK? I at least expect them to ship a few more copies in the coming weeks.

Powwa

Well I guess we can wait till the coming month to see the bigger picture.

Though when I check the store I only see 92 ratings so far for the game while another niche game Digimon already has 374 ratings. Keep in mind Digimon was also a multiplat and released on the same day.

Prelude.

Seems there's another announcement from PQube coming up soon: https://twitter.com/NateHawke/status/696400564448415744

Please please please be a Science Adventure this time
I'm a little more optimistic since they announced Aegis of Earth already.

Isn't the print extremely limited to begin with?
This is a game that Sony tried to sell as digital only from day one.

Massa

The release was even delayed in Germany by one week. Maybe there were production problems but they didn't tell aynone in the UK? I at least expect them to ship a few more copies in the coming weeks.

Sony can't ship more copies than retailers are willing to buy.

There's a really interesting section on Vita Lounge's magazine this month about the #VoteVita campaign, for anyone interested:

http://en.calameo.com/read/00425614244db42a1ed83

A few choice quotes:

About bigger companies support:

Obviously I can't speak details, but some company representatives went so far as to pitch ports to their business development and marketing teams. They were all shot down though, unfortunately. I think people would freak out if they could hear some of the ports that got pitched during that time; if even half of them would have went through, it would have been a renaissance for the Vita

I wonder if he'd ever reveal this information :p

One thing I think is tricky to understand for people who haven't worked in the industry is that old games do not mean they will be simple, quick or cheap ports.

There's more on it in the article, but he justifies why these PC ports just weren't on the table to begin with.

Powwa

There's a really interesting section on Vita Lounge's magazine this month about the #VoteVita campaign, for anyone interested:

http://en.calameo.com/read/00425614244db42a1ed83

A few choice quotes:

About bigger companies support:

I wonder if he'd ever reveal this information :p

There's more on it in the article, but he justifies why these PC ports just weren't on the table to begin with.

I'd imagine one of them was Rockstar. I remember seeing some news in 2012 about their Vita project(s).

The discrepancy you always see in memory size is because advertisers use the standard metric meaning of "Giga" (1 x 10^9), while computers use the binary meaning of "Giga" (1 x 1024^3). So that 64 GB card holds 64,000,000,000 bytes of space, but when you stick in in you Vita it reads it as (64 x 10^9)/(64 x 1024^3) = 59.6 or approximately 60 binary GB. It's the same reason every hard drive you've ever put in a computer or a game system lists a maximum size of less than what's printed on the drive label.

The discrepancy you always see in memory size is because advertisers use the standard metric meaning of "Giga" (1 x 10^9), while computers use the binary meaning of "Giga" (1 x 1024^3). So that 64 GB card holds 64,000,000,000 bytes of space, but when you stick in in you Vita it reads it as (64 x 10^9)/(64 x 1024^3) = 59.6 or approximately 60 binary GB. It's the same reason every hard drive you've ever put in a computer or a game system lists a maximum size of less than what's printed on the drive label.
That doesn't really apply to Flash memory where it physically has to be a power of 2. Sony even uses powers of 2 when listing sizes in Content Manager, it's not uncommon to see something like 1020 MB before it switches to the 1.x GB type format, for example.

The real discrepancy in actual available storage space is the filesystem overhead, I'm pretty sure.

That doesn't really apply to Flash memory where it physically has to be a power of 2. Sony even uses powers of 2 when listing sizes in Content Manager, it's not uncommon to see something like 1020 MB before it switches to the 1.x GB type format, for example.

The real discrepancy in actual available storage space is the filesystem overhead, I'm pretty sure.

Turns out the discrepancy is caused by sever things, including both the things that we said: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory#Capacity. Capacity advertising is weird, I've never understood why they don't advertise it as exactly what you'd see when you put it in a system...

pariah164

I played Tokiden and Soul Sacrifice before it and I found both of the two games are superior than RO in every way
I play Soul Sacrifice Delta as well; I'm not saying RO:Ace is the best, but I still find it fun. Maybe because I've never played games like it before.

18-Volt

Never played ClaDun. Not sure if I should be excited

It kinda plays like Nuclear Throne. You go in a dungeon and kill everybody inside. Art and music in the game was fantastic, one of few games which successfully captured the authentic 16-bit feel.

Wonder if we'll ever see this game in west. NISA's Vita localization backlog keeps on growing. But I think this one has better chance since two sequels got western releases.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

I guess he refers to people like me :p (apparently i was not the only one since i have never asked for warcraft 2 and dune 2000) but i disagree entirely... He seems to think that usually those who made the original game help or work on the ports... That's usually true for new games but look at the disaster of the silent hill collection for example, port aren't always made by those who made the original game even if developed internally, especially if games are old because teams aren't monolithic, they often change, a port is often about making an old game(made for an old hardware and developed by someone else) run on a newer hardware.

Obviously not all the code is the same, some is better than others, but unless a vita port was already planned during development or the game was made for a multiplatform engine like Unity or UE developers always have to redo a big part of the code, why does he think ports(on any hardware) take so much time otherwise?

If he was right then why many games like gta, baldur's gate, kotor etc were possible on ios? Why duke nukem 3d, crimsonland and others were possible on vita? Exceptions that confirm the rule?

Another thing, i dunno about the others but i have never said that old games are cheap and simple to port(in absolute), i said that they are relatively cheap and simple compared to comparable new games(i mean old AAA vs new AAA), i guess no one would object that for example diablo 2 would be cheaper and simpler to port than diablo 3 right? It doesn't mean that the port of diablo 2 would be cheap and simple, but cheaper and simpler than the port of diablo 3.

A port is not just about code, it's also about assets, adjusting assets to make them run on a weaker hardware trying to find the best balance between look and performance costs time and money(think about the moltitude of characters, loots, levels, effects etc present in diablo 3 for example, or think about all the downgrade work for borderlands 2 on vita), old games that used to run on weaker hardwares than vita don't need this, this alone makes ports of old games easier and cheaper.

Just to be clear i really appreciate his campaign and i support him, i just don't agree with his opinion about old pc ports.

Man, the way Vita handles saves is so annoying.
Not being able to back up individual saves is insane.
I backed up my memory card to my PC because it was full, now I want to back it up again but wont that delete my previous backup?
Now I'm thinking that I'm sticking to physical games whenever possible but I'm reading that not all physical games save to the cartridge? Some save to the cartridge and some save to the MC and no game can save to both? What the hell is this?

Shiren 5 Plus coming to NA in July:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/02/08/shiren-the-wanderer-launches-july-26th-on-ps-vita/

Aksys, keeping the dream alive :)

This is Classic Dungeon: Sengoku for PS
V
:
5/26 release
7 jobs
8 types of weapons
versus and co-op
same sprite creation mechanic as before
http://blog.hokanko-alt.com/archives/47762716.html

Another one to throw on the pile of "cross your fingers" for. They brought the last two on twilight-era PSP, so you never know I guess.

Man, the way Vita handles saves is so annoying.
Not being able to back up individual saves is insane.
I backed up my memory card to my PC because it was full, now I want to back it up again but wont that delete my previous backup?
Now I'm thinking that I'm sticking to physical games whenever possible but I'm reading that not all physical games save to the cartridge? Some save to the cartridge and some save to the MC and no game can save to both? What the hell is this?
You can back up individual games (along with their saves and DLC). It's not ideal space-wise, but it works. Forget about full backups.

I thought I could only do full backups, I'll have to look into that.

Backing up individual games is by far the better method - talking in terms of speed, ease of use, and likelihood that it'll work. Full backups have a tendency to take forever to make and restore, and often have weird issues and hangups along the way.

So, the Shiren 5 announcement has given me a little bit of new hope. Just because it's such a niche, "out there" game that I'm hopeful that if it gets announced.

I mean sure, it's another game announced that I feel has something else behind it (I can't see Spike Chunsoft not putting this on Steam in a couple of years, just like they're doing with DanganRonpa; which is exactly what I see IFI doing with any game they announce these days) but at this point I don't care about that stuff, so long as we're getting the games.

I may have aggravated some people in this thread by being negative over the past couple of months but I do sincerely believe Vita will have a great 2016 (I mean, it's having one already), I just find it a shame that while some things are working so well, other things are going (i.e. cancellation of 2 indies I was looking forward to). Still, if the last couple of pieces fall into place (NISA & XSEED announce the games I'm hankering for) then it'll have been a fantastic year, just behind 2014 if everything I think will happen happens.

Saphirax

So, the Shiren 5 announcement has given me a little bit of new hope. Just because it's such a niche, "out there" game that I'm hopeful that if it gets announced.

I mean sure, it's another game announced that I feel has something else behind it (I can't see Spike Chunsoft not putting this on Steam in a couple of years, just like they're doing with DanganRonpa; which is exactly what I see IFI doing with any game they announce these days) but at this point I don't care about that stuff, so long as we're getting the games.

I may have aggravated some people in this thread by being negative over the past couple of months but I do sincerely believe Vita will have a great 2016 (I mean, it's having one already), I just find it a shame that while some things are working so well, other things are going (i.e. cancellation of 2 indies I was looking forward to). Still, if the last couple of pieces fall into place (NISA & XSEED announce the games I'm hankering for) then it'll have been a fantastic year, just behind 2014 if everything I think will happen happens.

I sure hope NISA's press conference doesn't disappoint but my expectations are low. We'll get some of their 'smaller' games + pc ports most likely. Not too exciting :p.

I sure hope NISA's press conference doesn't disappoint but my expectations are low. We'll get some of their 'smaller' games + pc ports most likely. Not too exciting :p.

It's weird. In 2013 I had no expectations, but they blew me away at Anime Expo with DanganRonpa and Demon Gaze. Then in 2014 their press conference revealed DanganRonpa 2 and Disgaea 4 which was great. AX that year had HTOL#NIQ which was fab and Criminal Girls which I wasn't fussed about.

However, I found 2015 was a bust. Their press conference just had Another Episode, and they didn't even show anything new at AX. They trickled out Stranger of Sword City at the end of the year and Grand Kingdom at the start of this year, but that's it.

So I've no idea whether to be excited or not, really. But as long as there's a chance of some Vita stuff, I can't help but be a little hyped.

I really hope they don't give up on Vita exclusives during its final years. They've brought some of my favourite titles across and have just been fantastic in supporting the platform.

XSEED I'm not as worried about. They seem like cool folks and managed to get Trails SC in 2015, so I have hope (though NISA did Pandora's Reflection in 2013, so I should give them a bit more credit).

By the way, do they have anything but smaller games for Vita at the minute? Everything NIS are releasing in Japan is pretty low-key.

Saphirax

Criminal Girls for PC (was in the DB leak) and Criminal Girls 2 for Vita

yaaay

Gotta go bleach my eyeballs.

I like their smaller games, though. Give me Yomawari already, NISA.

I'd love them more if they were narrative/character focused.

It's weird. In 2013 I had no expectations, but they blew me away at Anime Expo with DanganRonpa and Demon Gaze. Then in 2014 their press conference revealed DanganRonpa 2 and Disgaea 4 which was great. AX that year had HTOL#NIQ which was fab and Criminal Girls which I wasn't fussed about.

However, I found 2015 was a bust. Their press conference just had Another Episode, and they didn't even show anything new at AX. They trickled out Stranger of Sword City at the end of the year and Grand Kingdom at the start of this year, but that's it.

So I've no idea whether to be excited or not, really. But as long as there's a chance of some Vita stuff, I can't help but be a little hyped.

I really hope they don't give up on Vita exclusives during its final years. They've brought some of my favourite titles across and have just been fantastic in supporting the platform.

XSEED I'm not as worried about. They seem like cool folks and managed to get Trails SC in 2015, so I have hope (though NISA did Pandora's Reflection in 2013, so I should give them a bit more credit).

By the way, do they have anything but smaller games for Vita at the minute? Everything NIS are releasing in Japan is pretty low-key.

The only games I can think of would be the two Exp inc drpgs, other than that not sure.

Speaking of - has NIS any plans for Disgaea D2 for the Vita? I know 4 struggles when there are a lot of sprites and 5 is never happening.

I'd love them more if they were narrative/character focused.
I get enough games like that already, it's nice to have something different once in a while.

Though speaking of which, have we heard anything concrete yet about their plans to focus more on bringing over visual novels?

Saphirax

I get enough games like that already, it's nice to have something different once in a while.

Though speaking of which, have we heard anything concrete yet about their plans to focus more on bringing over visual novels?

Not a thing. Which is really odd. No idea why they'd mention their VN focus and then...bring no VNs west.

Top Bottom