• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | February 2016

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
So, is anyone a fan of Trillion's box art change for the west? Because I am not.

(It's actually still fine, but I find the Japanese one to be so good).
I think it's for the better, the jp is probably too japanese for western tastes, but i think that something like this with more focus on the main character would have worked better
Trillion_poster_flat_watermark_thumb.jpg

Have I completely misunderstood what this game is or could you, mechanically, compare it to something like 80days?

Edit: It was nice to hear the people at GiantBomb talk positively about the Vita this week (Crypt of the Necrodancer). Someone even said it's his favorite handheld console.

Seems like a cross between a side-scrolling RPG like Muramasa, and a turn-based RPG like Trails or Digimon. It's basic with regards to combat and systems, but there's a lot of text (read; not great for "importing") and explanations going on that you're likely to miss if not fluent in Japanese.

I grabbed a bunch of screens, if anyone's interested; http://thevitalounge.net/2016/02/11/hero-must-dies-japanese-demo-now-available-new-screenshots-too/

Isn't this basically like valkyrie profile or exist archive?

maouvin

Hello guys. I stopped playing with my Vita about a year ago so I don't know of any good games in the year 2015-2016. Can you guys recommend some for me that was released on those years?

Welcome back!

Going though this released games list and naming a few:
- Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth;
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel;
- SUPERBEAT XONiC;
- Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls;
- Steins;Gate;
- Nekoburo -- Cats Block;
- Toukiden: Kiwami - I remember you played the original. This one lasted me around 50h to do all I wanted (importing my old character, of course), which is way less than the original, but I'm not a completionist. Just went after a nice set of armor, some new weapons and most of the Story and Phase missions.

We have a nice bunch of games coming out this semester too, so you might want to save some cash for those.

Oh. My. God. Somehow I always manage to forget it thanks to my sparse usage of my Playstation but I can't believe how insanely slow the downloads are from PSN. Fuck me. I could literally download my entire steam library in the time it takes me to download this stupid Bloodborne patch. FUCK.

EDIT: It's finally done!

Hello guys. I stopped playing with my Vita about a year ago so I don't know of any good games in the year 2015-2016. Can you guys recommend some for me that was released on those years?

Digimon Story Cybersleuth.

Best Digimon media ever.

Stress-free digimon game. Your digimons won't literally turn into shit against your will. It won't turn into other unwanted evolutions as well. And you can fucking devolve with no catch. And it really is stress free. Leveling is also not time consuming if you can get some preparations (no, not the Disgaea-style "you haz to grind to prepare for your actual grinding coz I heard you like to grind in order to grind").

Also the only one that actually managed to revive my interest in the series. And I do mean revive. I never thought I'd ever think
Omegamon
to ever be cool to me again, and this one proved me wrong. And there's also the fact that I didn't like that Agumon is pretty much the face of this game as well since he is the over-exposed mascot (come the fuck on, there's so many Greymon that we already having a fucking Samurai Greymon via Gaioumon). Yet, I love Agumon/Gabumon in this game. Their tandem with Shiramine Nokia (best Digimon character out of the entire franchise) was awesome.

Warning Late game spoiler: It also has
fucking Sakamoto Maaya voicing as goddamn Alphamon. Let me repeat that: Sakamoto Maaya is voicing a bigass Digimon and has a damn awesome arrival scene as well.

You don't know how disappointed I was that when I found out that the new digimon game on Vita wasn't goddamn Cybersleuth 2. I mean, sure, it's Next 0rder is still digimon, but my boner was killed. :(

P.S. No, Nostalgia Glasses has no effect on me on this series.

Hero Must Die looks legit. I knew it seemed great from the screenshots but nice to see it looking good while running too.

If you want it in English, don't forget to post in the topic I made requesting it on NISA's forums. With all AniHawk is talking lately about them skipping Vita exclusives, we may need to start making our voices heard for this kinda stuff.

killatopak

Gold Member
It'd help if you could list the games you like :p.
I tend to like jrpgs and rhythm games.

Welcome back!

Going though this released games list and naming a few:
- Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth;
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel;
- SUPERBEAT XONiC;
- Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls;
- Steins;Gate;
- Nekoburo -- Cats Block;
- Toukiden: Kiwami - I remember you played the original. This one lasted me around 50h to do all I wanted (importing my old character, of course), which is way less than the original, but I'm not a completionist. Just went after a nice set of armor, some new weapons and most of the Story and Phase missions.

We have a nice bunch of games coming out this semester too, so you might want to save some cash for those.

Thanks! Glad to be back.

Oh wow. Those games sound amazing since some of them were announce way before I went away.

Best Digimon media ever.
Stress-free digimon game. Your digimons won't literally turn into shit against your will. It won't turn into other unwanted evolutions as well. And you can fucking devolve with no catch. And it really is stress free. Leveling is also not time consuming if you can get some preparations (no, not the Disgaea-style "you haz to grind to prepare for your actual grinding coz I heard you like to grind in order to grind").

Also the only one that actually managed to revive my interest in the series. And I do mean revive. I never thought I'd ever think
Omegamon
to ever be cool to me again, and this one proved me wrong. And there's also the fact that I didn't like that Agumon is pretty much the face of this game as well since he is the over-exposed mascot (come the fuck on, there's so many Greymon that we already having a fucking Samurai Greymon via Gaioumon). Yet, I love Agumon/Gabumon in this game. Their tandem with Shiramine Nokia (best Digimon character out of the entire franchise) was awesome.

fucking Sakamoto Maaya voicing as goddamn Alphamon. Let me repeat that: Sakamoto Maaya is voicing a bigass Digimon and has a damn awesome arrival scene as well.

You don't know how disappointed I was that when I found out that the new digimon game on Vita wasn't goddamn Cybersleuth 2. I mean, sure, it's Next 0rder is still digimon, but my boner was killed. :(

Holy shit. Yass. Definitely gonna get digimon to relive my childhood.

Saphirax

I tend to like jrpgs and rhythm games.

Thanks! Glad to be back.

Oh wow. Those games sound amazing since some of them were announce way before I went away.

Holy shit. Yass. Definitely gonna get digimon to relive my childhood.

Trails of Cold Steel
Digimon Cyber Sleuth
Dungeon Travelers 2 (drpg)
Operation Abyss (if you like drpgs/DT2)
Atelier Ayesha plus/Escha & Logy plus

There's also a lot of good games coming out in the near future, such as:
Trillion
Stranger of Sword City
Ray Gigant
Grand Kingdom
Odin's sphere
God eater
Trails of Cold Steel 2

killatopak

Gold Member
I have all previous three vita ateliers and I haven't even finished a single one lol. Gonna finish them up first before going for Ayesha.

I'm also gonna hold up on Trails since I'm just halfway through TiTS so gonna finish that up first.

Looking at that list, Odin Sphere interests me the most. I'm a huge Vanillaware fan so I gotta see what they added.

The rests sounds new to me so I gotta check them out first before I come to a decision.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions!

Takao

Banned
I don't want to be too negative since I'm interested in the game myself, but I can see NISA skipping Hero Must Die because it's going to sell poorly in Japan. I fear it's heading to a <10k debut.

Clive

I don't want to be too negative since I'm interested in the game myself, but I can see NISA skipping Hero Must Die because it's going to sell poorly in Japan. I fear it's heading to a <10k debut.
Judging by the demo it's also a pretty text-heavy game. Localizing for example Yomawari and Rose's Old Castle would probably not be a significant translation effort but Hero Must Die is. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the most text-heavy among all the NIS games they haven't announced for localization.

Stop crushing my dreams.

(I do agree with you though, I think it's going to do poorly in Japan).

Edit: With that said, Makai Shin Trillion opened to like... 16k (?) in Japan and that came across (fairly text-heavy, too). Cladun came across on even lower sales.

It's certainly possible, but I do kinda feel it's out of our hands - depends whether NISA are committed to Vita exclusives/PC porting later or not.

Takao

Banned
Stop crushing my dreams.

(I do agree with you though, I think it's going to do poorly in Japan).

Edit: With that said, Makai Shin Trillion opened to like... 16k (?) in Japan and that came across (fairly text-heavy, too). Cladun came across on even lower sales.

It's certainly possible, but I do kinda feel it's out of our hands - depends whether NISA are committed to Vita exclusives/PC porting later or not.

I can see Makai being a Steam sale favourite. I don't think Hero Must Die would sell well on any platform. It's a remake of an ultra obscure Japan-only pre-smartphone cellphone game with so-so graphics (that might look nice on Vita's screen thanks to it being native res, but genuinely don't look like something 3DS couldn't do) and non-traditional RPG gameplay.

SerTapTap

NISA LEs coming to Amazon is great news what with the prime discount and NISA's ever-increasing free-shipping limit. Hell I might even buy Knights of Azure if it goes up on there, not really feeling the $100 price tag on that one personally.

If anyone's going through Megadimension Neptunia VII you can check out my guide, has pretty much all you should need, and only spoils when necessary, behind spoiler blocks. Got the platinum for VII a couple days ago, easily the best game in the series, hope future games keep this style of writing, nice focus on all the characters.

Do we know how late Legend of Dark Witch's dev plans to port future titles? I went and bought Dark Witch 2 on 3DS, and it's great, would rather play on PS4 or Vita if I could. Not sure if all ports will be as late as the first. Dark Witch 1 is clearly a much cheaper and less polished game but I still recommend it, especially for the price.

So, is anyone a fan of Trillion's box art change for the west? Because I am not.

(It's actually still fine, but I find the Japanese one to be so good).

The Japanese one is SO Disgaea, in a good way. Can't imagine why they changed it.

Prelude.

The latest issue of Weekly Jump reconfirms Squall Leonhart (voiced by Hideo Ishikawa) and reveals Quistis Trepe (voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro) from Final Fantasy VIII will appear in World of Final Fantasy.
This NEEDS to be dual audio.

SerTapTap

This NEEDS to be dual audio.

Does Squeenix usually do dual audio? For modern games anyway, I think they didn't bother with FFXHD, right? But they did lots of weird crap with that release.

World of FF is still easily my most anticipated game from Squeenix in a while

Prelude.

Does Squeenix usually do dual audio? For modern games anyway, I think they didn't bother with FFXHD, right? But they did lots of weird crap with that release.

World of FF is still easily my most anticipated game from Squeenix in a while
They did for Type-0, LR and probably more recent ones. I think XV will have it too.

AniHawk

Hero Must Die looks legit. I knew it seemed great from the screenshots but nice to see it looking good while running too.

If you want it in English, don't forget to post in the topic I made requesting it on NISA's forums. With all AniHawk is talking lately about them skipping Vita exclusives, we may need to start making our voices heard for this kinda stuff.

i didn't say exclusive vita games are getting skipped, just that games that get localized aren't going to be exclusively for vita at this point.

Prelude.

i didn't say exclusive vita games are getting skipped, just that games that get localized aren't going to be exclusively for vita at this point.
You should mention that's your opinion in these kind of posts. Your mantra broke some people like 18-Volt that now believe a Steam port is mandatory in order for a Vita game to be localized.

AniHawk

You should mention that's your opinion in these kind of posts. Your mantra broke some people like 18-Volt that now believe a Steam port is mandatory in order for a Vita game to be localized.

well it's not, but i would expect a steam, ps4, or nx port to have to happen for it to be a serious consideration. exclusive vita, games, especially in the form of physical copies, are going to be a rarity moving forward. i only see it happening if the company is teeny-tiny like idea factory international, or if it's being done for business purposes.

18-Volt

Actually what broke me was NISA announcing Grand Kingdom before Night Watch and Criminal Girls 2 (both released before Grand Kingdom) and XSEED comments about they'd prefer mulitplat Vita titles over exclusive titles.

But we'll see. In couple of months both companies will reveal some of their 2016 lineup and almost all the possible localizations are Vita exclusive. I'm hoping for the best.

Prelude.

well it's not, but i would expect a steam, ps4, or nx port to have to happen for it to be a serious consideration. exclusive vita, games, especially in the form of physical copies, are going to be a rarity moving forward. i only see it happening if the company is teeny-tiny like idea factory international, or if it's being done for business purposes.
No one's going to port those Falcom games and it's pretty clear Marvelous can't really do it on a regular basis. But anyway, it's not like every PS4 "console exclusive" isn't getting ported to Steam (and eventually some will surely jump to NX) so it's a pretty moot point.
The fact it's that a lot of publishers/devs can't afford/don't have enough resources to port those Vita games and it's often not even worth the effort when the high majority of sales will always be in Japan so it's kinda pointless inferring that when there are way more factors involved than for ps4 ports which, at this point, because of the size of those publishers, are the norm.

XSEED comments about they'd prefer mulitplat Vita titles over exclusive titles.
Unless you're referring to something else, they just said that most games are Vita/PS4 titles now so there aren't as many Vita exclusives to localize but they'll still keep localizing them.

18-Volt

Unless you're referring to something else, they just said that most games are Vita/PS4 titles now so there aren't as many Vita exclusives to localize but they'll still keep localizing them.

Yeah I'm referring to that. If they really meant that by that quote, then they are wrong, currently Vita exclusive titles in their alley outnumber multiplat ones.

I was always under the impression that Ani knew people from NISA or somesuch and so was posting from a slightly more elevated on the matter level than the rest of us. Is that not the case?

Hmm, maybe I'm remembering wrong. The way you made it sound to me was that a PS4/Vita game is going to be picked over everything else and a Vita only game would come only if there's potential for Steam down the line (which seemingly is every Vita game these days).

AniHawk

Hmm, maybe I'm remembering wrong. The way you made it sound to me was that a PS4/Vita game is going to be picked over everything else and a Vita only game would come only if there's potential for Steam down the line (which seemingly is every Vita game these days).

well yeah, that's basically it. but that doesn't mean yomawari or hero must die won't come over at all. it just means that if they do, nis in japan would need to make a steam or ps4 version, most likely. nisa won't just bring over an exclusive vita game.

well yeah, that's basically it. but that doesn't mean yomawari or hero must die won't come over at all. it just means that if they do, nis in japan would need to make a steam or ps4 version, most likely. nisa won't just bring over an exclusive vita game.

Apart from Namco Bandai with Tales/Digimon, I don't think any of these localization houses have arranged a PS4 version of a game for the western release before. So basically, it is Steam or nothing at present.

Could NISA not handle it themselves? Ghostlight contract devs to do the Steam porting for them I believe. Spike-Chunsoft have done the same for DanganRonpa.

Regardless, though, that kind of situation is fine. As long as the games come over, I don't really give a toss if they're on PC as well, so long as I can still buy them on Vita.

Prelude.

I was always under the impression that Ani knew people from NISA or somesuch and so was posting from a slightly more elevated on the matter level than the rest of us. Is that not the case?
It's still his tiny little view based on info way too limited to be meaningful in the bigger picture. Which is why his generalizations are often out of place.
Nothing is a permanent exclusive on ps4 and everything gets ported just a little while later but I don't see him constantly reminding people about it.

Yeah I'm referring to that. If they really meant that by that quote, then they are wrong, currently Vita exclusive titles in their alley outnumber multiplat ones.
They were talking in general, not only about their own titles.
Sony has dropped 1st party support for the PlayStation Vita how do you feel about the handheld?

We love the Vita! It&#8217;s a fantastic system. The install base may be lower compared to PlayStation 3, but the Vita owners are the exact gamers that we are appealing to so every Vita release we see great support. So as long Vita games are being released in Japan we will continue to bring them over. We&#8217;re seeing a lot more of Vita and PlayStation 4 titles being released, so we might not see Vita exclusive games, but we will see a steady stream of PlayStation 4 and Vita titles.
That was only 4 months ago.

AniHawk

Apart from Namco Bandai with Tales/Digimon, I don't think any of these localization houses have arranged a PS4 version of a game for the western release before. So basically, it is Steam or nothing at present.

Could NISA not handle it themselves? Ghostlight contract devs to do the Steam porting for them I believe. Spike-Chunsoft have done the same for DanganRonpa.

Regardless, though, that kind of situation is fine. As long as the games come over, I don't really give a toss if they're on PC as well, so long as I can still buy them on Vita.

to understand more how i view the vita market, i think it kinda looks like this:

2012: western and japanese exclusives and multiplatform games from first and third parties
2013: more japanese than western exclusives and multiplatform games from first and third parties
2014: mostly japanese games, some exclusive, mostly from third-parties
2015: almost entirely third-party japanese games with a few exclusives
2016-future: multiplatform third-party japanese games

i see the system experiencing a rather big wind down in the west, and just want to caution against people expecting more exclusives in the west when it seems that attention from publishers of all kinds have been moving away from that direction. any sort of game to come to the machine sort of needs to be part of some steam plans later (i expect trillion, like other idea factory games, will be on steam maybe even by the end of the year), or receive a ps4 port (i think this is possible of tokyo xanadu for instance). the good news is that it means the vita keeps getting games, and even physical releases (although i expect this to wind down considerably in 2016 and be a rarity in 2017).

All those games look good. True to the blog, all 3 have replies asking for a Vita port.

You need to vote on Assault Android Cactus people, the wrong game is winning.

All three look good to me but I will be voting for Assault Android Cactus as it looks the most likely to be a solid good game.

Massa

No new PS2 games for PS4 in 3 weeks. Two months after it's announcement. Way to go Sony.

That entire program was such a mess. It's a shame too because they wrote a really good emulator, but as it is I'm not giving them my money for any of it.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

Best Digimon media ever.

Omegamon

Wow, that sounds great. Problem is my gaming time has slowed to a crawl due to work. May be a long time before I have the time and energy to get to it.

6I1SE3I.jpg

LEVEL 22 PS4 - LEVEL 22 is a fun little top down stealth puzzle game. The objective is to sneak your guy 22 floors (levels) into work without being spotted. Visuals and music is kinda bland retro stuff. Gameplay is solid and can get challenging as I had to resort to walkthroughs. Secrets and collectibles to be found. Not essential but it is pleasant fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJmiL6LxCrg

NISA LEs coming to Amazon is great news what with the prime discount and NISA's ever-increasing free-shipping limit. Hell I might even buy Knights of Azure if it goes up on there, not really feeling the $100 price tag on that one personally.

If anyone's going through Megadimension Neptunia VII you can check out my guide, has pretty much all you should need, and only spoils when necessary, behind spoiler blocks. Got the platinum for VII a couple days ago, easily the best game in the series, hope future games keep this style of writing, nice focus on all the characters.

Do we know how late Legend of Dark Witch's dev plans to port future titles? I went and bought Dark Witch 2 on 3DS, and it's great, would rather play on PS4 or Vita if I could. Not sure if all ports will be as late as the first. Dark Witch 1 is clearly a much cheaper and less polished game but I still recommend it, especially for the price.

The Japanese one is SO Disgaea, in a good way. Can't imagine why they changed it.

Would love your advice of where to start with the Neptunia games. I own the 3 Rebirth games on Vita due to digital sales, but I was turned off by a difficulty spike early on in rebirth one and never went back to it. I recently got Megadimension VII due to how good of a game it seems to be, but now I'm just lost on where I should start with this series. Try to start rebirth 1 over again, skip it and start with rebirth 2, start with 3 so I can play V and VII in a row, or just play the newest one first. I can see arguments for doing all 4! What do you recommend?

Cromat

God of War 3 Remastered and Dragon Age Inquisition are on sale, and I'm interested in both. Which one should I go for?

SerTapTap

Would love your advice of where to start with the Neptunia games. I own the 3 Rebirth games on Vita due to digital sales, but I was turned off by a difficulty spike early on in rebirth one and never went back to it. I recently got Megadimension VII due to how good of a game it seems to be, but now I'm just lost on where I should start with this series. Try to start rebirth 1 over again, skip it and start with rebirth 2, start with 3 so I can play V and VII in a row, or just play the newest one first. I can see arguments for doing all 4! What do you recommend?

Getting started is probably the most awkward thing, I've been meaning to make a "getting into neptunia" guide and recommended play order is the hardest thing. Personally I find my own ark of Mk2-> Victory -> Rebirth 1 -> VII is great as I avoid HDN1 PS3 but don't get soured on the weirdo system Rebirth 3 has.

Rebirth 1 is ostensibly the best starting point characterization wise and certainly required playing, but the stupid difficulty spikes early on turn people off (it's only 3-4 bosses I think, but a lot of people ragequit).

Honestly I would just say "screw it" and play Victory 2. You'll spoil some details from Victory/Rebirth 3, but the gameplay is great, the writing is great, it's got enough info to keep you in the loop (there's even some fourth-wall breaking callouts of "wait we should explain this for new players"). If you really love the series you should be willing enough to go back and work through the less-great gameplay of the rebirth games for all the humor. So I'd say just play V2 if you have access to it and got turned off the others, then go back for rebirth 1-3 in order when you want more. But take breaks between rebirths, as quick remakes they can grate on you for being samey.

BTW, Victory 2 spoils victory less so than the Anime. Do not watch the anime lol or at least watch it AFTER Mk2/Rebirth 2 and Victory/Rebirth 3.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I have finished Trails of Cold Steel and now i have a question about Cold Steel 2
does it have a proper ending(with some openings since there's Cold Steel 3) or it also ends with a "continues" like Cold Steel
?

EDIT:
answered in the trails thread.

So no hype for the possible flash sale today?

All I want is Rorona Plus or Corpse Party 2 on sale, but they haven't done that in a couple months so I'm not too excited. Given it's Valentine's Day, if Sweet Fuse goes on sale, I might pick that up, but those first two are the big ones I want.

Massa

So I played about 5-6 hours of Soul Sacrifice (the original) and I don't remember exactly why I stopped. I think I got annoyed as fights turned into: exhaust all powers, find refills in the level, repeat until the boss is dead.

Should I go for Delta?

Top Bottom