• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | January 2016

autoduelist

I'm pretty sure this thread always had cynics. What it didn't have before is people writing long winded posts telling people to get over it whenever there's bad news. Let people be bummed, let them vent. You'll get a more positive thread by proxy of not telling people how to think.

Of course the thread has always had cynics. But if you don't see the sheer amount of negativity in the thread for the past month, you're lucky. A game gets delayed? Of course that means the publisher is trying to forget it exists. A game is indie? High risk of cancellation. I'm certainly not the only one to notice it or point it out.

There is no reason to be 'bummed' that isn't in our heads. The only thing 'real' we have is the future release schedule, and that's pretty amazing. Everything else is 'the end is nigh' dire predictions.

If every third post wasn't harping on the negative, perhaps I wouldn't have written the essay. But whatever, I'll go somewhere else for awhile and let you guys work it out. Peace out, back in March I guess. Note -that's not because of what your post or anything, it's because I was damn serious about what I said -- this thread used to be a bastion. Now it's thick with negativity.

RK128

Of course the thread has always had cynics. But if you don't see the sheer amount of negativity in the thread for the past month, you're lucky. A game gets delayed? Of course that means the publisher is trying to forget it exists. A game is indie? High risk of cancellation. I'm certainly not the only one to notice it or point it out.

There is no reason to be 'bummed' that isn't in our heads. The only thing 'real' we have is the future release schedule, and that's pretty amazing. Everything else is 'the end is nigh' dire predictions.

If every third post wasn't harping on the negative, perhaps I wouldn't have written the essay. But whatever, I'll go somewhere else for awhile and let you guys work it out. Peace out, back in March I guess.

You don't have to leave man :(.

I appreciate you said what you said; this thread was getting to negative at points (at times due to my posts :() so its great you called people out on that.

A lot is still coming to the Vita and we have a lot to be excited about :).

kunnikuman

Neo Member
I think the NA/EU versions are releasing after the Asia/JP release so......I could see all the content they are rolling out be bundled with the NA/EU versions or becomes launch-day free DLC.
SAO HF sure did have everything from get go even though it released after Japan/Asia...

RK128

SAO HF sure did have everything from get go even though it released after Japan/Asia...

You mean the big patches that came out post launch + free DLC? While it did come out latter in NA/EU........it still came out over here and it added a lot to the game. You are right, they should of released it at launch. But sometimes things don't work out though.

Edit: I remember the big patch for Hollow Fragment came out latter in EU compared to NA (by a month I think), so I agree some publishers need to work out there roll-out of content/patches/free DLC in the future.

RK128

Am I missing something or a lot of people here are on edge recently?

You're not missing anything; you hit the nail right on the head sadly :(.

It all started with indie games being scrapped (Not a Hero being one of them and Banner Saga being the second one) on Vita and people getting upset of this. People made logical reasons for why they were scrapped on Vita but many (including myself at points, sadly :() was linking it to indie support starting to dry up on Vita. Edit: Banner Saga's Vita version still is coming though thanks to Sony's Third Party Production Team working with the developers on finding a new studio for the Vita port.

This is all in the face of 250+ games coming out on Vita in the future and many indies & JP titles coming out on Vita too (not to mention big indies coming out on Vita this month; Oddworld New N' Tasty being a strong example and Crypt of the Necrodancer launching on Vita/PS4 next week). People tend to get worried over the future of something they care a lot about and a lot of us fell into that trap, including myself.

Then the toxicity spiked (to me at least) when the VoteVita thread was closed and I caused a hissy fit over it, to the point that two mods had to call out how childish I was acting. One of my more embarrassing moments on Gaf :(. Decided to try and be positive like I was in the past and changed some things (how I write on Gaf, my avatar being different, ect) to try and make things better.

*The VoteVita thread I made was to push a movement that had four games having a shot at coming to Vita in the future and if people filled the poll enough times, publishers/developers could have the motivation to bring the games over/port them to Vita. It was closed due to it being promotion, something against NeoGaf rules.*

To sum everything up, January Vita Blues overtook some of us and hopefully February will be the month things get back on track.

RK128

Im leaving also but Ill keep posting so Im not actually leaving. tsk

Dragon Quest Builders Vita Edition sure is tempting.

I am a hypocrite, so feel free to tease and insult me about that if you like.

I also agree with the DQ Builders Vita; love how the Slime on the back of the system looks and how shiny the Vita is. Might get another Vita in the future, so will consider getting that if they have some in stock by the time June rolls out.

Xenoflare

You're not missing anything; you hit the nail right on the head sadly :(.

It all started with indie games being scrapped (Not a Hero being one of them and Banner Saga being the second one) on Vita and people getting upset of this. People made logical reasons for why they were scrapped on Vita but many (including myself at points, sadly :() was linking it to indie support starting to dry up on Vita.

This is all in the face of 250+ games coming out on Vita in the future and many indies & JP titles coming out on Vita too (not to mention big indies coming out on Vita this month; Oddworld New N' Tasty being a strong example and Crypt of the Necrodancer launching on Vita/PS4 next week). People tend to get worried over the future of something they care a lot about and a lot of us fell into that trap, including myself.

Then the toxicity spiked (to me at least) when the VoteVita thread was closed and I caused a hissy fit over it, to the point that two mods had to call out how childish I was acting. One of my more embarrassing moments on Gaf :(. Decided to try and be positive like I was in the past and changed some things (how I write on Gaf, my avatar being different, ect) to try and make things better.

*The VoteVita thread I made was to push a movement that had four games having a shot at coming to Vita in the future and if people filled the poll enough times, publishers/developers could have the motivation to bring the games over/port them to Vita. It was closed due to it being promotion, something against NeoGaf rules.*

To sum everything up, January Vita Blues overtook some of us and hopefully February will be the month things get back on track.

I see, I don't know much about the indies on Vita so this completely flew above my head.

I thought with Digimon and the God Eater games coming the Vita should last me a good 2016 for a while. This plus the 3DS releases this year will make it the first year where I only game on handheld....errr wait I take that back I forgot about Persona 5.

But you get the idea.

kunnikuman

Neo Member
I am a hypocrite, so feel free to tease and insult me about that if you like.

I also agree with the DQ Builders Vita; love how the Slime on the back of the system looks and how shiny the Vita is. Might get another Vita in the future, so will consider getting that if they have some in stock by the time June rolls out.
You aren't the only one that has said it and it isn't a insult. It is common behaviour in this thread.

I wanted to get on this boat also.

RK128

I see, I don't know much about the indies on Vita so this completely flew above my head.

I thought with Digimon and the God Eater games coming the Vita should last me a good 2016 for a while. This plus the 3DS releases this year will make it the first year where I only game on handheld....errr wait I take that back I forgot about Persona 5.

But you get the idea.

Between Namco-Bandai's software (Digimon, the God Eater games, Gundam Vs., Summon Night 6 if that comes over to the west this year, ect), catching up on older Vita games I never got yet, playing through my large backlog and getting a PS4 for Ratchet & Clank and Sonic Anniversary latter this year......I am going to be very busy gaming myself :).

I play a lot of the indie games on Vita and a lot still are coming :D. Can't wait for the Vita version of Axiom Verge to land; been waiting a year to play that. Looks like PlayStation consoles are going to be getting the best Metroid game since 2007 XD!

You aren't the only one that has said it and it isn't a insult. It is common behaviour in this thread.

Thank you for clearing that up. Everyone knows that I never follow up with saying statements like that but who knows if the other posters who say that follow through. We will see in the following weeks/months if that is the case.

RK128

Pretty stoked to see helldivers as the PS+ free game. Heard good things about it.

Looking forward to that one too honestly :D.

Tend to enjoy twin-stick shooters a lot and with the Vita version looking promising (visuals look nice, it appears to run well, ect), it should be a fun time. If you need a co-op buddy, feel free to send me a message when the game comes out on Plus! My PSN ID is the same as my user-name (RK128).

KuroNeeko

I'm looking forward to Darkest Dungeon and Banner Saga, but having way too much fun with NecroDancer to think about anything else right now.

Stop being a sour puss, guys.

Cyber Sleuth and Necrodancer is out next week, so hyped for those two. I played CotN on Steam but this will be 10x more fun on my Vita.

Powwa

Was there any information about the release date of Asian-English copy of Digimon? I've a preorder in P-A, just wondering.

redcrayon

If every third post wasn't harping on the negative, perhaps I wouldn't have written the essay. But whatever, I'll go somewhere else for awhile and let you guys work it out. Peace out, back in March I guess.
Does that mean two thirds of us are disarmingly positive or at least measured in our outlook? :) I enjoy reading your posts, have a good break from the gaf coalface.

I guess Gundam Extreme Vs. Force is exiting beta soon

Well, glad to hear that they're at least trying to fix things with this. Even if it's much too late to fix the poor sales and massive price slashes it's had in Japan.

I wonder if this content will make it onto the cart of the Asian-English version or not. I hope the new modes do at least. In fact this makes me wonder if that version is gonna be delayed, I hope not since I preordered it alongside Digimon!

I'm still really hypes for this game. I don't have any particular ties to the ExVS games and I really like the look of some of the Force modes in this one, which remind me a lot of Future Cop LAPD.

VLiberty

If every third post wasn't harping on the negative, perhaps I wouldn't have written the essay. But whatever, I'll go somewhere else for awhile and let you guys work it out. Peace out, back in March I guess. Note -that's not because of what your post or anything, it's because I was damn serious about what I said -- this thread used to be a bastion. Now it's thick with negativity.

I said I wasn't going to argue, and I'm not going to, I just wanted to post this bitter-fun fact which is related to the bolded part. A bit more than a month ago, before the outbreak of cancelations and "negativity" started, I wrote a post in the previous PSN thread:

Great work TVL crew! Though I was expecting AC Chronicles to be on the list(and Civilization, but I'm guessing it's an "S" since it's actually Sid Meier's CR2)

Speaking of upcoming games, does anyone know what's up with Not a Hero on console? It's been quite a long while since it was released on PC
My 2016 list is pretty big as of now, but I'm afraid how many of those will actually come out...like, are Shadow Blade Reload, Fenix Rage, Shu, forma.8, Energy Hook, Aztez, Electronic Super Joy, Poncho and others even coming out?

Other than those, I'm looking forward to Axiom Verge, Rocketbirds 2, Hyper Lighter, Oddworld NNT(hopefully Exoddus remake too, but I can't see it coming), Not a Hero, AC Chronicles, Shantae(lol 2017 if coming at all) Attractio, Drift Stage, maybe Mighty no9, and Bloodstained although this one is not coming to vita before 2018

Either I should just shut up or maybe indie games actually have a high risk of being canceled to the point that you can clearly see who's getting axed next. Either way, I think I'll just shut up as I might be the Aaron Ramsey of videogames lol.

For what it's worth, I apologise for whatever part I had in this decision, and there is still a lot to love that's upcoming on Vita. I think I've got more games I'm planning to buy in Jan/Feb/Mar this year than any comparative period from previous years.

It just really rubbed me the wrong way being told that it's wrong to be bummed out about games I want being cancelled on my favourite console and that I should only be happy about the future and can't be the slightest bit pessimistic because this isn't the place for that. I've enjoyed this thread because I can post allsorts in it.

I post on another forum (that shall not be named ;)) which was in a similar situation where if you posted any Vita news in the open forum it'd be ripped to shreds regardless of what it was, so there was one thread where everyone posted the Vita news and it was a really happy place. And that was the reality of the situation at the time - Vita was selling like crap but if you owned the console there was a plethora of stuff happening.

And the situation is similar now, it's just tinged with a bit of disappointing as well. Perhaps it's not worth as much negativity as has been discussed, but it's still part of reality.

But yeah, I don't want to see anyone stop posting in here, so if it makes any difference I'm sorry for any posts that made you feel like you didn't want to be here.

I vaguely remember you liking puzzle games, if so you should get The Witness. I haven't played for too long but damn its amazing. Perfect on the Vita too (remoteplay).

On that other topic, maybe what's really happened is that indie devs are becomming more transparent about their development. One year ago we would never see developers talking about their struggling, but today I feel that it's a lot more open to consumers.

As I see it it started with some Vita developer articles on gamasutra and for me this is a positive trend (not that gamed are cancelled but that the developers are honest about how difficult it can be to port things to things like the Vita).

Everyone are making their own choices and I understand if you feel that we/have been negative but do remember that I write post about my disappointment over game x getting cancee, not because I don't care about the Vita but because I care to much. It's important to me that the games I'm looking forward to gets released on my favourite platform.

As someone who's been here for a couple of years this, sometimes negative vibe in this thread, is nothing new and like before it will go away after some time. Everything works in cycles.

So please stay and continue to be the counterweight to some of this negativity if you feel that you can put up with it for a little longer.

It's still early in the year and things have already started to come out, next week its Crypt of the Necrodancer and when we'll get things like salt & sanctuary and darkest dungeon I bet the tone in this thread will change :)

Only if they cancel Kancolle!

Too late. They already finished development on that one.

And there's actually a ship girl that will be available for it first (Spring for the browser one).

On the bright side, the announcement of the difficulty makes me less reluctant to play it.

deadfolk

You mean the big patches that came out post launch + free DLC? While it did come out latter in NA/EU........it still came out over here and it added a lot to the game. You are right, they should of released it at launch. But sometimes things don't work out though.

Edit: I remember the big patch for Hollow Fragment came out latter in EU compared to NA (by a month I think), so I agree some publishers need to work out there roll-out of content/patches/free DLC in the future.

I would pay full price (again) for the new translation to be patched into the Vita version. Assuming it's good.

Pulling the same shit twice is not fun, NISA. April will be hard for me since I had already pre-ordered BS:CE.

yeah i don't think this will be good for my finances. I guess that's 2 weeks from my birthday though so hopefully that'll balance it out? young person privileges and all that.

Put the money you would have spent at end of march away, don't touch it, and spend it at the end of April instead

today's free finance lesson

I'll happily take the delay. Feb/Mar are pretty packed for me.

However, I'd like Trillion to come as soon as possible, I'm mad hyped for that game.

Put the money you would have spent at end of march away, don't touch it, and spend it at the end of April instead

issue is more that April and may have the potential to be very finance-heavy for not-gaming-related reasons. Generally prefer to have spending more spread out.

Shizuka

My wallet will automatically shift its money to something else when a game gets delayed. In fact, I just found that the Skullgirls LE come out in March.

issue is more that April and may have the potential to be very finance-heavy for not-gaming-related reasons. Generally prefer to have spending more spread out.

Yeah I was half-joking :)
You could also try and pay off a pre-order already if you have a store with that option. So that money would be gone already anyway!

phierce

Spending ~8 hours flying tomorrow...need some recommendations on a sub $10 game that I've probably not played to keep me busy. (RPG or action preferred)

Shizuka

Can be anything I can get on the vita. I'm actually flying a hell of a lot the next few weeks so longer games are fine too.

Have not tried either of those.

Oh, Fate/Extra is a single game. It's a JRPG set in the Fate/Stay Night universe (no previous knowledge required). It's very inspired by the Persona games (school themes, social links-ish), the battle is a unique twist on rock-paper-scissors RPG and the soundtrack is the sickest I've ever heard. But the part for me was the interaction between Master (you, the protagonist) and your Servant (one of three you choose at the beginning of the game). They're each well-fleshed historical figures that are driven by their own motivations and seek their own goals.

Give it a try, it's 9.99 and it'll take you a good while to get through your first playthrough (although you'll want to do a second playthrough, but I can't reveal why because of spoilers).

So, Trails of Cold Steel is tomorrow, both Crypt of the Necrodancer and Digimon next week and Firewatch the week after. I'm getting a lot of games the coming weeks :D

Edit:Gone Home and maybe this war of mine.

phierce

Oh, Fate/Extra is a single game. It's a JRPG set in the Fate/Stay Night universe (no previous knowledge required). It's very inspired by the Persona games (school themes, social links-ish), the battle is a unique twist on rock-paper-scissors RPG and the soundtrack is the sickest I've ever heard. But the part for me was the interaction between Master (you, the protagonist) and your Servant (one of three you choose at the beginning of the game). They're each well-fleshed historical figures that are driven by their own motivations and seek their own goals.

Give it a try, it's 9.99 and it'll take you a good while to get through your first playthrough (although you'll want to do a second playthrough, but I can't reveal why because of spoilers).
Sounds good. Will download it tonight and give it a go tomorrow. Thanks for the info!

Xenoflare

So I've heard that the 3.57 update borked vita

I can confirm this. I had it on sleep mode 2 days ago and it's completely drained from fully charged, first time I've seen my 2000 getting the flashing screen due to critically low battery. I had nothing running beforehand

JFC

Top Bottom